ADVERTISEMENT

Someone explain like I'm 5. Re: canceling football season

Steven15

Woodrush
Gold Member
Feb 26, 2011
What is the rational of mandating a cancellation of football across conferences?

If players don't want to play or feel unsafe, they are 100% free to not do so and can keep they're scholarships, that's fine. No one is making them. For those who want to play, sign a waiver saying you understand the risks and won't sue the school/NCAA for something they are choosing to do.

Seems pretty simple and is a win-win for everyone involved. What's the problem?

Think it comes down to the liability if a player is shown to contract the virus from playing and then dies. I think Presidents cannot resolve this possibility in their rationalizing playing. Pretty irrelevant the low chance of this or that players sign something. You don't want a death on your watch.

Reactions: JimTurkey
What is the rational of mandating a cancellation of football across conferences?

If players don't want to play or feel unsafe, they are 100% free to not do so and can keep they're scholarships, that's fine. No one is making them. For those who want to play, sign a waiver saying you understand the risks and won't sue the school/NCAA for something they are choosing to do.

Bunch of elected idiot's running and ruining this Country.

Think it comes down to the liability if a player is shown to contract the virus from playing and then dies. I think Presidents cannot resolve this possibility in their rationalizing playing. Pretty irrelevant the low chance of this or that players sign something. You don't want a death on your watch.
I agree with this but then also brings into question the liability of serious injury. Both are extremely low probabilities but one is acceptable and the other is not. I understand that the narrative must continue etc etc etc. Just wondering if COVID opens up Pandora's box across the board. Similar questions around public schools staying closed when flu season is in full bore. Just wondering why one would be different than the other from the liability perspective.

I go back to something I’ve been saying for a couple months now - just schedule the first game for the Saturday after Election Day.

The players could play 10 games over 12 weeks from 11/7 thru 1/23. They could take the week of Christmas off. Playoffs could be the first part of February. That way the end of the season is only delayed 1 month.

And that allows the mob to focus on bitching, weeping, and gnashing their teeth all the way through Election Day.

I go back to something I’ve been saying for a couple months now - just schedule the first game for the Saturday after Election Day.

The players could play 10 games over 12 weeks from 11/7 thru 1/23. They could take the week of Christmas off. Playoffs could be the first part of February. That way the end of the season is only delayed 1 month.

And everyone else can focus on bitching, weeping, and gnashing their teeth all the way through Election Day.

But what about the riots, post Trump victory?

If they don't want to sign something, they don't have to and don't have to play?

Again, those who do want to play and are willing are bared for what reason? There is no liability issue if they sign liability papers

But kids die of heat stroke every year. Some break their neck and are paralyzed for life. Some die from a combination of workout stress and congenital issues. Should presidents be as concerned about those too, especially since the effects of Covid on people under 25 are very light?

Serious question about liability: Would the “lawsuit shield” provision that Republicans are trying to add to the current stimulus help with college football related illnesses or is it just geared to businesses and employers?

Reactions: PCHOI
The problem is, the season is drawing nearer, and the cancel culture is having to turn the heat/noise up to keep it from happening. The narrative MUST be preserved until early November.

the trojan horse to the entire DNC plan is the fact that the american taxpayer will have more time to study the issues deeper and realize how much better trump has been than CNN or MSNBC lets on

I agree with this but then also brings into question the liability of serious injury. Both are extremely low probabilities but one is acceptable and the other is not. I understand that the narrative must continue etc etc etc. Just wondering if COVID opens up Pandora's box across the board. Similar questions around public schools staying closed when flu season is in full bore. Just wondering why one would be different than the other from the liability perspective.

The difference is that the injury( c spine fracture or whatever) is 100% related to football. You can never be 100% sure where a player may have contracted COVID. Through contact tracing, etc you can make a case but it’s not absolute. I would think the liability for injury would be much greater. The. Pandora’s box only opens up if Trump wins the election.

It is utterly baffling to me that some people truly think this is purely political.
I dont think COVID is harmless if that is what you mean. I think it has killed people. 150k? Probably not.

however the agenda is purely political. Otherwise all of the other controllable killers out there would get the same attention. Smoking and lung cancer? Drunk driving?

there is no doubt that MSM is trying to leverage COVID to impact the election.

no fans, players 100% on line classes for isolation - problem solved

Not this shit again. Come on guys, you’ve beaten this horse to death. We know you guys think this is BS, you’ve made that perfectly clear. And I feel certain the SEC, ACC, Big10, PAC12 and BIG12 understand the financial implications of no college football.

If football doesn’t happen, everyone ignoring the mask rules, not social distancing, and pretending this is a political hoax should look in the damn mirror. Take a look at what’s happening now in Sturgis with 250,000 there for biker week. Those 250,000 fools from all over the country are going to take it back to where they are from and the cycle continues. It pisses me off because I want college football more than anything. I also want restaurants open and people to be able to travel and enjoy life but too many people want to be selfish and have their “freedom” at the expense of the greater good. How freaking hard is it to wear a damn mask and keep your distance?

Rant over. Flame away, call me a sheep or a libtard or whatever is your slur of the day. It’s just not that complicated.

The problem is, the season is drawing nearer, and the cancel culture is having to turn the heat/noise up to keep it from happening. The narrative MUST be preserved until early November.
Also the main reason the MAC cancelled is not being talked about. Most of the teams in that conference depend heavily on the large amount of money they make from playing OOC Power 5 schools. Many make and depend on the millions each year from those games.

I dont think COVID is harmless if that is what you mean. I think it has killed people. 150k? Probably not.

however the agenda is purely political. Otherwise all of the other controllable killers out there would get the same attention. Smoking and lung cancer? Drunk driving?

there is no doubt that MSM is trying to leverage COVID to impact the election.

You can’t be serious about lack of attention to smoking/lung cancer and DUI, can you? How many billions have been spent on both?

And the conservative media is trying just as hard to spin this as nothing but a political hoax and trying to protect the Trump administration from criticism for its response.

Both sides are absolutely biased idiots. And the people suffer because of it.

It is utterly baffling to me that some people truly think this is purely political.

The piece you’re missing, is we know the virus is real, and a real danger to those who are already more vulnerable.

The distinction is in the exaggerated response, and overblown narrative, which is being used/pushed to create a change.

That’s as simple as it can be stated.

You can’t be serious about lack of attention to smoking/lung cancer and DUI, can you? How many billions have been spent on both?

And the conservative media is trying just as hard to spin this as nothing but a political hoax and trying to protect the Trump administration from criticism for its response.

Both sides are absolutely biased idiots. And the people suffer because of it.

Show me one news story, add, etc... portraying lung cancer or dui in a fashion to shut down everyday activity.

It’s utterly baffling to me how anyone thinks it’s not. This is about one thing and one thing only. The election in November.

How is this political? Why do you think it will go away on November 4? There is a pandemic whether you are a democrat or a republican. Why can't we do what is right for America rather than what is right for a political party?

Show me one news story, add, etc... portraying lung cancer or dui in a fashion to shut down everyday activity.

Totally not the same. Smoking and DUI don’t spread. COVID-19 is a virus, you stop a virus by cutting if it’s ability to find new hosts.

And I clearly was responding to the quote about how much “attention” those get.

Reactions: flotiger
Also the main reason the MAC cancelled is not being talked about. Most of the teams in that conference depend heavily on the large amount of money they make from playing OOC Power 5 schools. Many make and depend on the millions each year from those games.
Said the same yesterday, it is a financial decision. It not a fear of the COVID deal..

Reactions: matthewstigers

If something bad happens playing football, someone gets hurt, injured for life or even killed, the pr is bad for a short time.

But, with the coronavirus, if something bad happens it would be a pr nightmare on a national level. The college administration, conference and probably college football in general would be crucified.

And, some might say in a post modern culture there's really nothing worth getting crucified for anymore.<- This last part may have been a little much for a 5 year old.

why was there absolutely zero media pushback to the riots and protests in late May and June ?
I recall that the media put it on tv for all to see, especially when trump sent the troops in with teargas to disperse peaceful protesters so he could cross the street for a photo op to hold up a Bible that he has never read.

Last edited:
I just cannot wrap my mind around a bunch of 18 to 22-year-old kids who are already playing a game where you could suffer paralysis or permanent brain injury on any given play not wanting to play because they might catch what for people their age is a souped up version of the flu.

And please, I don’t need one of you need jerk reaction liberal retards to give me some lecture about pre-existing conditions. Can we all agree that it would be virtually impossible to play college football at an elite level and have some sort of significant pre-existing pulmonary condition? I thought so.

Reactions: swalmart

I’m with you 80%. I can get behind the argument that it’s somewhat political. I’m a registered Republican in the great state of Georgia but I think it’s rather foolish, and quite embarrassing, how our country (especially my state) has handled this. This virus is real, it’s killing many people, and it’s also impacting/devastating our economy. I don’t get why wearing a damn mask is so hard or political but I also don’t want to shut down small businesses entirely either. There’s got to be a middle ground on that aspect.

But this virus doesn’t ONLY impact one side of the aisle ... and it’s not miraculously going to go away November 4. That to me is ridiculous.

Also, for the record, this election isn’t going to end Nov. 4th. I foresee this being very similar to 2000 when we have multiple Florida’s and the Supreme Court will have to decide who won. It might be Election Week(s), not Election Day

How is this political?

The United States economy was rocking. minority employment at highest ever. working poor income up, middle class workers investments growing, everything was going in the right direction. The democrats had no answer. Then the virus hit to give them opportunity.

Why do you think it will go away on November 4?

Who said it would go away. If the Democrats win the White House in November, I think it will be around for the 2024 election as a huge campaign slogan of how much the democrats took care of you and your family during this pandemic.

Why can't we do what is right for America rather than what is right for a political party?

The Democrats are using this as a weapon of fear and security for the weak minded.

The Republicans are just reacting.

Thank you! This man gets it but I dont know why the rest of America doesn't. Over 99% survival rate and we ruined the strongest economy we have seen in decades. Americans have become the stupidest bunch of vaginas in the world.

I just cannot wrap my mind around a bunch of 18 to 22-year-old kids who are already playing a game where you could suffer paralysis or permanent brain injury on any given play not wanting to play because they might catch what for people their age is a souped up version of the flu.

And please, I don’t need one of you need jerk reaction liberal retards to give me some lecture about pre-existing conditions. Can we all agree that it would be virtually impossible to play college football at an elite level and have some sort of significant pre-existing pulmonary condition? I thought so.
The response to your question lies in your own second paragraph. Many young people are left with pulmonary and heart conditions after they successfully survive the "souped-up flu". Why would an elite level athlete want to needlessly expose themselves to such a souped up flu that could leave them with a permanent condition that would make it virtually impossible for them to continue to play football at an elite level ? The choice is entirely theirs, and their choice should be based on true and relevant information , not the random rants of political pansies on a message board.

How is this political?

The United States economy was rocking. minority employment at highest ever. working poor income up, middle class workers investments growing, everything was going in the right direction. The democrats had no answer. Then the virus hit to give them opportunity.

Why do you think it will go away on November 4?

Who said it would go away. If the Democrats win the White House in November, I think it will be around for the 2024 election as a huge campaign slogan of how much the democrats took care of you and your family during this pandemic.

Why can't we do what is right for America rather than what is right for a political party?

The Democrats are using this as a weapon of fear and security for the weak minded.

The Republicans are just reacting.
What gave Democrats the opportunity was Trump appearing live on those daily press briefings acting like the village idiot. Everyone watching saw it , on a daily basis, for hours at a time. He had no measured response. No rational response. No compassionate response. No helpful response. No meaningful response. No thought out plan. No nothing. Just a bag of bullshit. His own party members were either laughing at him or disgusted with him. The way he handled and continues to handle this pandemic crisis is a very legitimate campaign issue, one that he continues to lose. Why would an oppositional party not exploit it ? Lock him up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT