ADVERTISEMENT

Statement just now from John Swofford ...

Cris_Ard

Owner - Publisher of Tigerillustrated.com
Staff
May 29, 2001
tigerillustrated.com
“The health and safety of our student-athletes, coaches and administrators remains the ACC’s top priority. As we continue to work on the best possible path forward for the return of competition, we will do so in a way that appropriately coincides with our universities’ academic missions.

"Over the last few months, our conference has prepared numerous scenarios related to the fall athletics season. The league membership and our medical advisory group will make every effort to be as prepared as possible during these unprecedented times, and we anticipate a decision by our Board of Directors in late July.”

FROM THE TIGER FAN SHOP: Click HERE to check out all of our inventory, plus early summer DEALS on officially-licensed CLEMSON apparel!
mrixjq649t17edqbbpln

Reactions: Da Swami
Just crazy trying to figure this out. Does it make sense to allow workouts and some sort of practice to evaluate the risk? Depending how that goes could provide insight on what risks there are for fans as well as input for opening the university.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tigerfaith
Knowing Swofford, he’ll not only cancel the games this year, but he’ll recommend we not play next year too!
Probably recommend Clemson not play for next two years in the interest of safety for the balance of the conference. It’s in his DNA.

Seeing ACC is conference only---fake news??
I heard on 680 The Fan in Atlanta this afternoon that the ACC had a conference call last night where the result was that conference games only was the consensus on where they’d ultimately land, but no one on the call was ready to pull that trigger quite yet.

Reactions: Cocks are Number 1
“The health and safety of our student-athletes, coaches and administrators remains the ACC’s top priority. As we continue to work on the best possible path forward for the return of competition, we will do so in a way that appropriately coincides with our universities’ academic missions.

"Over the last few months, our conference has prepared numerous scenarios related to the fall athletics season. The league membership and our medical advisory group will make every effort to be as prepared as possible during these unprecedented times, and we anticipate a decision by our Board of Directors in late July.”

FROM THE TIGER FAN SHOP: Click HERE to check out all of our inventory, plus early summer DEALS on officially-licensed CLEMSON apparel!
mrixjq649t17edqbbpln
I have a situation for you all to ponder as you analyze how likely we will play football this fall. In Arizona, hospitals are overwhelmed and some have erected tents in parking lots to treat patients in 100+ degree weather. In Houston they are diverting ambulances from local hospitals on arival to other facilities because hospitals cant take patients. In Florida over 50 hospitals have now stated that they have no ICU beds available.

So, lets say you are playing a game or, heck, even are just at practice, and a player suffers a spleen injury or neck injury playing a violent game. If you are in one of these areas where the hospital system is overwhelmed, how can you guarantee that player or parent they will get the care they need? What do you tell that parent? "Ma'am, we are doing everything we can to get your son into a hospital, but at a minimum we will make sure he has access to one of the tents and is seen by the best intern available."

I dont see us playing if this situation continues to trend like it is. And I dont see any serious measures being taken to curtail it. I'd say conference only games is a best case scenario at this point. And I'm not confident that is likely.

I have a situation for you all to ponder as you analyze how likely we will play football this fall. In Arizona, hospitals are overwhelmed and some have erected tents in parking lots to treat patients in 100+ degree weather. In Houston they are diverting ambulances from local hospitals on arival to other facilities because hospitals cant take patients. In Florida over 50 hospitals have now stated that they have no ICU beds available.

So, lets say you are playing a game or, heck, even are just at practice, and a player suffers a spleen injury or neck injury playing a violent game. If you are in one of these areas where the hospital system is overwhelmed, how can you guarantee that player or parent they will get the care they need? What do you tell that parent? "Ma'am, we are doing everything we can to get your son into a hospital, but at a minimum we will make sure he has access to one of the tents and is seen by the best intern available."

I dont see us playing if this situation continues to trend like it is. And I dont see any serious measures being taken to curtail it.
What “serious measures” would you take? I’m just curious...

Reactions: tigergrad03
Just crazy trying to figure this out. Does it make sense to allow workouts and some sort of practice to evaluate the risk? Depending how that goes could provide insight on what risks there are for fans as well as input for opening the university.
How do you get out of this chicken shit outfit!

I dont see us playing if this situation continues to trend like it is. And I dont see any serious measures being taken to curtail it. I'd say conference only games is a best case scenario at this point. And I'm not confident that is likely.
Problem is, Florida officials just said they are NOT at 100% ICU capacity, only at 75% and that 2/3 of those in ICU are in for other conditions not related to COVID.

What “serious measures” would you take? I’m just curious...
For those states hit hardest right now (SC, Georgia, Fla, Arizona, Texas, Cali, etc) we should probably be back in phase 1. But at a minimum:

1. Mandate masks in all public spaces and businesses indoors. And outdoors when distancing is not possible. Voluntary is not an option.
2. Close all bars and clubs.
3. Limit all gatherings, public and private, to not more than 10.
4. Heavy fines levied to people who violate any of the above.

We still dont have sufficient testing. People are waiting days for results and waiting in long lines again to get tests. People need a quick test and quick results so they can react accordingly and take measures to isolate if necessary. Healthcare workers still don't have sufficient PPE.

We are in a mess. Forget the stats. Just look at the hospitals.

Problem is, Florida officials just said they are NOT at 100% ICU capacity, only at 75% and that 2/3 of those in ICU are in for other conditions not related to COVID.
Then why wont the governor release the stats on a regional basis? Why won't he release number of COVID beds? He gives total statewide capacity and total hospital beds for a reason. There are close to 60 hospitals individually reporting that they are at capacity. Sure there are others in less hotspots and rural counties that are still OK. But averaging all of their beds together and giving those numbers is done to deceive and hide the dire nature in the hotspots.

Helped a team put together proposals to go into Arizona, Utah, Texas and California to convert hotels and other facilities into China Virus care facilities over two months ago. The conversions had to be done in 20 days or less. We did not send in proposals for the other areas of the country. We were not selected so I don't know if any were built. I know the temporary facilities in states like New York were not used.

I had outpatient surgery TODAY at AmMed in Anderson. That is the closest Hospital to. Campus. If they are handling elective surgery like mine, then there isn't a Covid problem.

What Swofford really said is...after the SEC & Big Ten makes their decisions & plans, we the ACC will follow suit :oops:
I hate Swoffee with a passion. However, waiting to see what the BIG and SEC do is a good thing. Watching Vanderbilt may give the ACC insight into Duke and Wake. Conference only games make for a small small schedule. The end of year rival games between the SEC and ACC keep the numbers up for both. Notre Dame could fill some of the gaps (like the Michigan and MSU) dates to increase the total number of games. Use Covid to change who plays in the conference title game.

Elections have consequences
giphy.gif

Yup. Trump can't correct ALL the bullshit from the previous admin.

I despise his blustery, jackass persona...but he has met most campaign promises that I was concerned about. He's done it extremely business like. MLK Jr's niece has been very positive about his policies. But you didn't see that reported front page, back page or any freaking page. Why?

Yup. Trump can't correct ALL the bullshit from the previous admin.

I despise his blustery, jackass persona...but he has met most campaign promises that I was concerned about. He's done it extremely business like. MLK Jr's niece has been very positive about his policies. But you didn't see that reported front page, back page or any freaking page. Why?
Let’s face it. Regardless of the polls, Sleepy Joe has little chance to beat Trump. It could be like Reagan beat Dukakis in 84. Supposedly that was going to be a close election. Reagan won like 50 states.

giphy.gif

Reactions: PawsFan_

It sounds like you don’t think we should play. Are you prepared to put thousands and thousands of people out of jobs? Part of living is a livelihood.

I heard on 680 The Fan in Atlanta this afternoon that the ACC had a conference call last night where the result was that conference games only was the consensus on where they’d ultimately land, but no one on the call was ready to pull that trigger quite yet.
They are delaying decisions in hopes that COVID data improves. Seems reasonable to me.

I had outpatient surgery TODAY at AmMed in Anderson. That is the closest Hospital to. Campus. If they are handling elective surgery like mine, then there isn't a Covid problem.
Two things:

1) Where they are today, doesn't mean that is where they will be in 2 months with current trends. Trends are not on our side. Also, another poster here told a very different story about their experience at Greenville.

2) It is not just about the situation in Clemson, SC. They will have to travel to play games. What will the situation at hospitals in Florida be like when we go to Tallahassee? What about when we go to Atlanta?

3) It's not just about Clemson University. We are in a league and in a division of football with other teams. What are the situations all of those other schools and communities are going to be facing? Do you think schools in Florida, Texas, Arizona, California are going to be in a position with their healthcare systems to play and host games? Right now it looks bleak. If all teams aren't participating do we have a season with half the teams in FBS power conferences participating?

Again, I think you all are being too short sighted and making decisions based on what is happening immediately around you. I want to see things improve and be able to have a season too. The pressure to play is going to be immense. But I am not short sighted to reality and there is a big reason to question whether it makes sense. Bottom line, of there is any hope at all it depends on people getting their act together and doing what they need to do to slow this.

Yay

another thread where we all discuss how Trump either screwed the pooch on COVID or he did a good job balancing the MSM driven epidemic where the actual numbers are not known because everyone reports crap data while keeping the economy from completely crashing.

For those states hit hardest right now (SC, Georgia, Fla, Arizona, Texas, Cali, etc) we should probably be back in phase 1. But at a minimum:

1. Mandate masks in all public spaces and businesses indoors. And outdoors when distancing is not possible. Voluntary is not an option.
2. Close all bars and clubs.
3. Limit all gatherings, public and private, to not more than 10.
4. Heavy fines levied to people who violate any of the above.

We still dont have sufficient testing. People are waiting days for results and waiting in long lines again to get tests. People need a quick test and quick results so they can react accordingly and take measures to isolate if necessary. Healthcare workers still don't have sufficient PPE.

We are in a mess. Forget the stats. Just look at the hospitals.
Nah, we’re fine...just gotta ride it out

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT