ADVERTISEMENT

Sweden beating Covid...

giphy.gif

Reactions: ddot7 and DW4_2016
https://news.yahoo.com/swedens-coronavirus-death-toll-now-130000568.html

btw the business insider is owned by Bezos so this is not a message from the right.
I dont think you read that whole article. I think you read the first half of the headline and ran with it. Virtually everyone interviewed in that article pointed to how Sweden is not close to being out of the woods, that herd immunity is not likely, and that they paid a significantly higher price than other countries. Just read the final conclusion/paragraph from the article...

"In some ways, the decisions they made were based on how they assessed the evidence at the time. And other countries decided to be more aggressive and sadly the more aggressive approach turned out to be the more appropriate one."

You are deluding yourself if you think the MSM is not pumping this issue falsely. Schools in Europe are open and will be open in the fall. Why not USA? It is because they are biased politically.

Opening schools raises more issues than political.

1. How do the kids get to school? If districts plan on instituting social distancing, this will require more buses and more drivers. Both of which are in short supply. This could be solved with money but no one wants to fund schools as it is.

2. Once they get to school how do districts solve the social distance issue? Classrooms are already overcrowded. If you are hearing talk of an altered fall schedule, alleviating bus and classroom crowding may be the primary driver.

3. Who will teach them? Lots of teachers have underlying symptoms. Even if kids don't spread it. The teachers could catch it from somewhere. Subs are already hard to find. More money could help but there again not many are ready to pay.

4. How to prevent lawsuits? School districts are very lawsuit adverse. They usually settle early and pay often. Any lawyers or administrators have better info feel free to chime in. I am sure the last thing any district or municipality wants is a dead teacher or student much less a slew of them.

Politics may be an issue, but I would reckon money, infrastructure and health will drive whether schools open their doors in the fall.

Who wins the election will not be a factor if I send or keep my kid in school.

Reactions: dual_tiger
I dont think you read that whole article. I think you read the first half of the headline and ran with it. Virtually everyone interviewed in that article pointed to how Sweden is not close to being out of the woods, that herd immunity is not likely, and that they paid a significantly higher price than other countries. Just read the final conclusion/paragraph from the article...

"In some ways, the decisions they made were based on how they assessed the evidence at the time. And other countries decided to be more aggressive and sadly the more aggressive approach turned out to be the more appropriate one."

I agree, but also want to point out that it's way too early say make any comments about how how things "turned out." We aren't far enough along in this to know how things "turned out." All we have is information about where we are today and- it doesn't look like we made the right choices early on. And then we've doubled-down on those wrong choices. It looks like it's going to go very poorly for us. We'll wind up with more infections/fatalities than other countries AND a ruined economy. Not to mention to social/civil unrest that's sure to follow. Buckle up y'all.

I agree, but also want to point out that it's way too early say make any comments about how how things "turned out." We aren't far enough along in this to know how things "turned out." All we have is information about where we are today and- it doesn't look like we made the right choices early on. And then we've doubled-down on those wrong choices. It looks like it's going to go very poorly for us. We'll wind up with more infections/fatalities than other countries AND a ruined economy. Not to mention to social/civil unrest that's sure to follow. Buckle up y'all.
Agree.

Opening schools raises more issues than political.

1. How do the kids get to school? If districts plan on instituting social distancing, this will require more buses and more drivers. Both of which are in short supply. This could be solved with money but no one wants to fund schools as it is.

2. Once they get to school how do districts solve the social distance issue? Classrooms are already overcrowded. If you are hearing talk of an altered fall schedule, alleviating bus and classroom crowding may be the primary driver.

3. Who will teach them? Lots of teachers have underlying symptoms. Even if kids don't spread it. The teachers could catch it from somewhere. Subs are already hard to find. More money could help but there again not many are ready to pay.

4. How to prevent lawsuits? School districts are very lawsuit adverse. They usually settle early and pay often. Any lawyers or administrators have better info feel free to chime in. I am sure the last thing any district or municipality wants is a dead teacher or student much less a slew of them.

Politics may be an issue, but I would reckon money, infrastructure and health will drive whether schools open their doors in the fall.

If the kids dont go back to school, how is distance learning going to be handled? What happens to families where both parents have to work? Single parent families? What will happen is that the divide between the haves and the have nots will grow even more, because low wage "essential" employees will have to go to work, leaving no one home to educate their child ...and not like the average adult is capable of teaching anyways ....

Im not disagreeing with your post at all ..... this is just a mess all around

what I do know is that there are 100s of Billions of dollars worth of Chinese assets (private, corporate, and Government) that could be ceased to fund our recovery ....

F CHINA!

If the kids dont go back to school, how is distance learning going to be handled? What happens to families where both parents have to work? Single parent families? What will happen is that the divide between the haves and the have nots will grow even more, because low wage "essential" employees will have to go to work, leaving no one home to educate their child ...and not like the average adult is capable of teaching anyways ....

Im not disagreeing with your post at all ..... this is just a mess all around

what I do know is that there are 100s of Billions of dollars worth of Chinese assets (private, corporate, and Government) that could be ceased to fund our recovery ....

F CHINA!

Absolutely, no good answers. My real concern is for the k4-6 grade (4-12 y/os) That age is definitely not learning virtually. Plus, those parents cannot leave those kids at home.

Another thing, I haven't seen mentioned is daycare or after-school care. Supply could be very scarce and money wins. Who is going to help those that cannot help themselves?

Absolutely, no good answers. My real concern is for the k4-6 grade (4-12 y/os) That age is definitely not learning virtually. Plus, those parents cannot leave those kids at home.

Another thing, I haven't seen mentioned is daycare or after-school care. Supply could be very scarce and money wins. Who is going to help those that cannot help themselves?

There’re a reason we should have had a plan to deal with this and should have been moving swiftly to implement & adapt the plans back in Feb & March. We are so far behind now, there’s no catching up. Of course every aspect of this will disproportionately impact those at the bottom end of the socioeconomic spectrum- no way around that.

Reactions: DClemsonTiger
There’re a reason we should have had a plan to deal with this and should have been moving swiftly to implement & adapt the plans back in Feb & March. We are so far behind now, there’s no catching up. Of course every aspect of this will disproportionately impact those at the bottom end of the socioeconomic spectrum- no way around that.
What is sad and infuriating is that if we had locked down .... a real lock down .... where everyone was quarantined for 3 weeks and only Grocery stores were open for curbside and delivery .... we would’ve had this thing beat and dead by the end of April .... but NOPE ....here we are ...

Reactions: DW4_2016
What is sad and infuriating is that if we had locked down .... a real lock down .... where everyone was quarantined for 3 weeks and only Grocery stores were open for curbside and delivery .... we would’ve had this thing beat and dead by the end of April .... but NOPE ....here we are ...
I’m not sure that’s quite true, but I understand your point. We would also have had to stop all incoming air traffic. Even after we “shutdown” travel from China, hundreds of thousands of people came in from China - w/o being tested. Not to mention all the air travel from Europe to the east coast. Trump was trying to avoid spooking the markets, so he vastly under reacted.

I’m not sure that’s quite true, but I understand your point. We would also have had to stop all incoming air traffic. Even after we “shutdown” travel from China, hundreds of thousands of people came in from China - w/o being tested. Not to mention all the air travel from Europe to the east coast. Trump was trying to avoid spooking the markets, so he vastly under reacted.
Absolutely ..... and agreed .... and, .... we still don’t have a National strategy not strong leadership or guidance

If Biden wins, things will go back to normal more quickly. The media will calm down. The protesters will be appeased. The twitter warriors won't have anything to complain about.

Reminds me of a guy I knew who owned some hotels in ATL. He always thought you should vote democrat because it just appeased the majority in ATL, less crime because people felt more "taken care of" and pacified the vocal minority.

Reactions: TM2013
If Biden wins, things will go back to normal more quickly. The media will calm down. The protesters will be appeased. The twitter warriors won't have anything to complain about.

Reminds me of a guy I knew who owned some hotels in ATL. He always thought you should vote democrat because it just appeased the majority in ATL, less crime because people felt more "taken care of" and pacified the vocal minority.

None of this will have any bearing on my decision to send my kid back to school. Not the media, not the election, not the protesters nor twitter.

Covid-19 is apolitical. It does not care who it infects and neither does the flu.

None of this will have any bearing on my decision to send my kid back to school. Not the media, not the election, not the protesters nor twitter.

Covid-19 is apolitical. It does not care who it infects and neither does the flu.

Not everyone is as reasonable as you.

Absolutely ..... and agreed .... and, .... we still don’t have a National strategy not strong leadership or guidance

Trump & the GOP missed a huge opportunity to show real leadership & consolidate their power. If the moved swiftly & decisively early on, Trump would truly be on a war-time footing, and would likely be cruising to re-election. But, Trump isn’t smart enough for that chess maneuver, so here we are.

Trump & the GOP missed a huge opportunity to show real leadership & consolidate their power. If the moved swiftly & decisively early on, Trump would truly be on a war-time footing, and would likely be cruising to re-election. But, Trump isn’t smart enough for that chess maneuver, so here we are.

Silver linings, I suppose.

don’t tell @BigTimeTiger that. He really had used Sweden as a model of how to approach COVID.
New York (1664 deaths per million population), Spain, UK, Italy and Belgium all are worse. Sweden’s deaths per million is only 500. Did they follow Sweden’s plan?

The liberals should definitely be telling people what to do. Just look at what they accomplished. You work in NYC don’t you?

B48-AE32-C-6110-4-AE5-8-AFF-AFDA4-E358-C46.png

757-A0-A4-F-EDD1-479-D-B40-F-550-E5725-CFB1.png

plus it looks like the worst is clearly behind Sweden

4-EB1-DEF8-4-F7-B-42-D1-85-C6-7-C2-D5-DD5-E207.png

Last edited:

With the Democrats nominating Biden, the GOP definitely had an opportunity to seal the deal.

Silver linings, I suppose.
New York (1664 deaths per million population), Spain, UK, Italy and Belgium all are worse. Sweden’s deaths per million is only 500. Did they follow Sweden’s plan?

The liberals should definitely be telling people what to do. Just look at what they accomplished. You work in NYC don’t you?

936-D04-BB-5180-4-A4-B-8883-4763-F198-DCD1.png

What's the basis for your "the worst is behind Sweden" comment? Their testing situation might be worse than ours, and studies suggest that they aren't any closer to herd immunity than other countries. And their economy is shrinking at the same rate as their neighbors.

What's the basis for your "the worst is behind Sweden" comment? Their testing situation might be worse than ours, and studies suggest that they aren't any closer to herd immunity than other countries. And their economy is shrinking at the same rate as their neighbors.
you blind?

Also their economy is suffering because of all the other sheep countries that just follow. It has absolutely nothing to do with what they chose to do.

Last edited:
With the Democrats nominating Biden, the GOP definitely had an opportunity to seal the deal.

I think had Trump taken the approach I outlined above, the Democrats might've let the process play out and Sanders could have wound up with the nomination. But it wouldn't have mattered. Trump would have been giving daily "This sucks. This is hard, but we're doing everything to provide supplies and will support businesses and workers, blah blah blah." Instead, he went with the "this will all just go away" approach- which never made any sense either politically or scientifically.

But how though? Every publication I've read and every press release I've seen indicates the virus is here to stay even if you dooms day prep bunker style quarantine yourself for 3 weeks. The quarantine was never about eradicating the virus, it was about not overrunning the hospitals with cases. We either let it spread like wildfire and carry on about our business or we lock down every time there is a new spike in cases........either way, the virus is there waiting when you open back up.

yes because things are going really well right now in the republican led Florida, Alabama, Texas , Georgia , Arizona, and Louisiana lol. All states with increased trends in positive testing and deaths compared to New York. How convenient for you to leave that out

Reactions: ddot7
yes because things are going really well right now in the republican led Florida, Alabama, Texas , Georgia , Arizona, and Louisiana lol. All states with increased trends in positive testing and deaths compared to New York. How convenient for you to leave that out

Well, to be fair- California is a COVID19 shi!tshow at the moment and trending badly.

Well, to be fair- California is a COVID19 shi!tshow at the moment and trending badly.

california has tested more people per 1 million people than Florida and yet today Florida has over 8,000 more positive new cases compared to California. And also more deaths ....

I think you've quoted the wrong person? If I said the worst is behind Sweden I must have been drunk.

Reactions: AustinTiger77
california has tested more people per 1 million people than Florida and yet today Florida has over 8,000 more positive new cases compared to California. And also more deaths ....

As I sit here in Santa Monica, I can tell you that we are expecting another "safer at home" order from mayor of LA in the next week or so. We aren't resting nearly as many people as we should and cases # are spiking again. Hospital admissions are going up. As it turns out, the more people are out and about at restaurants, bars, stores, whatever- the more the virus spreads.

As I sit here in Santa Monica, I can tell you that we are expecting another "safer at home" order from mayor of LA in the next week or so. We aren't resting nearly as many people as we should.

Yes California is trying to be proactive, and overall
states are probably not testing as much as they should

Yes California is trying to be proactive, and overall
states are probably not testing as much as they should

Without a coherent testing strategy, we can't begin to "open up" and get on with life. And yet, our Federal government is abandoning the issue and just moving on as though "mission accomplished."

2 southern states in the 17 worst of the entire US only Louisiana and Mississippi. I didn’t leave shit out. I just showed the leaders in deaths in this country. They are called facts. You by the way have a hand in that fiasco in NY. Enjoy your fantasy land.

Last edited:
2 southern states in the 17 worst of the entire US only Louisiana and Mississippi. I didn’t leave shit out. I just showed the leaders in deaths in this country. They are called facts. You by the way have a hand in that fiasco in NY. Enjoy your fantasy land.

look at 2-4 week trends and let me know. None of those states that I listed are going in the right direction. NY is

Reactions: ddot7

Haven’t their deaths per day dropped to close to zero indicating the worst is far behind them?
Are you saying their deaths will increase?

Deaths per day in Sweden have been steadily declining since April 14th

I think you've quoted the wrong person? If I said the worst is behind Sweden I must have been drunk.

Are you predicting their deaths per day will increase from where they are today after declining steadily since April?

or are you drunk?

Reactions: BigTimeTiger
look at 2-4 week trends and let me know. None of those states that I listed are going in the right direction. NY is
Care to wager on which is worse after 3 years of Covid19? Northern deaths in NY,NJ,CT, MA, RI and DC per million population vs those 6 states Florida, Alabama, Texas , Georgia , Arizona, and Louisiana? Say 25k?

062-FA100-6994-4476-A596-CC53994399-DC.gif

14-E81895-DAF3-4570-943-A-EA98-BA5-D7-EEB.gif

5947-B462-1-E27-41-D7-B384-86-B2-F40156-B0.gif

2167-FBD9-7-D50-411-B-A188-6-EAB0-CB9149-C.gif

BTW awesome job in NY! You’re destined to lead the pack in deaths when all is said and done. Well maybe NJ has a chance.

Last edited:
Are you predicting their deaths per day will increase from where they are today after declining steadily since April?

or are you drunk?

I was more stating that I have no recollection of having posted that while leaving open the possibility that I said it and was drunk.

I don't have an opinion on where Sweden is at right now as I'm not up to date. I do know that virtually every developed country is doing better than us right now so, if they were improving, it wouldn't be shocking.

I was more stating that I have no recollection of having posted that while leaving open the possibility that I said it and was drunk.

I don't have an opinion on where Sweden is at right now as I'm not up to date. I do know that virtually every developed country is doing better than us right now so, if they were improving, it wouldn't be shocking.

Lol fair enough on the drunk part

The USA is doing better on the deaths per million statistic at the moment, but I think the USA will pass Sweden by. One major reason is the general health of he average American. Fattest country.

Care to wager on which is worse after 3 years of Covid19? Northern deaths in NY,NJ,CT, MA, RI and DC per million population vs those 6 states Florida, Alabama, Texas , Georgia , Arizona, and Louisiana? Say 25k?

062-FA100-6994-4476-A596-CC53994399-DC.gif

14-E81895-DAF3-4570-943-A-EA98-BA5-D7-EEB.gif

5947-B462-1-E27-41-D7-B384-86-B2-F40156-B0.gif

2167-FBD9-7-D50-411-B-A188-6-EAB0-CB9149-C.gif

BTW awesome job in NY! You’re destined to lead the pack in deaths when all is said and done. Well maybe NJ has a chance.

celebrating and being enthused over the deaths of Americans. Thanks for outing yourself

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT