ADVERTISEMENT

Take a Step Back America...

Rowdon7

Valles Marineris
Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
I truly hope the internet sentiment of over reaction for coronavirus is not how things really are. Is this a bad virus? Yes. Highly contagious? Yes. Potentially dangerous? To those over 65 and those with comorbidities, definitely. Is it worse than the flu? Maybe. Likely worse than the usual flu (that has the benefit of vaccines and previous exposure making a huge difference)? Possibly. Stats appear that way at times, but not when you consider how much better we are at diagnosing the flu and the likelihood that non severe cases of coronavirus, which are common cold symptoms or no symptoms, aren’t reported. Should we take it serious for preventing outbreaks? Yes. However, is the whole world gonna be affected? Most likely cause it’s that contagious.

Yet, despite all of that it doesn’t require an over reactionary hysteria that could really hurt the long run. Such as buying up un needed OTC cold medications or stock piling food or anything like that especially since most people are going to let those things sit in their closet until they expire. Is this thing bad? Yea, but we can still act with reason and common sense.

Coming home to visit America after 2 years in Africa for the first time next week. Will I visit my recently premature born niece? No. Common sense says why risk that given that I’m flying internationally (caveat: for healthy kids this virus is much less dangerous than the flu). I’ll wait till the end of my visa run to see her when I know my family is good.

BUT, if I go to Walmart and there is no cold medications which are almost impossible to get in Africa I’m gonna be slightly annoyed cause that’s how I stock up for myself and our community.

It’s time to show that a first world country that doesn’t deal with almost anything comparatively, can show it can handle itself. Especially when all you have to do it use the same precautions you use EVERY FLU SEASON.

Good article comparing to the flu which is fair to point out the real stats for the severity of each:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/02/29/health/coronavirus-flu.amp.html

When you allow the complete elimination of media authenticity to NOTHING, the “freedom of the press” becomes sheer madness. True legit reporting entities need to step up.

To be honest, the “as first reported by” phrase is complete garbage. Anyone who actually still cares about that is just as pathetic as what’s being reported. How about, “as reported accurately first by” and stand by it.

You know what happens when a sales rep first reports a close of a multimillion dollar sale...... and that sale doesn’t happen? You get shown the door.

I am not for government limiting access but in a “free society” those reporting must focus on accuracy and not blurting out reports.

There’s enough noise from the low IQ crowd and the smart devious folks to manage to begin with.

The coronavirus is a big deal. You know how we know that, look at the efforts that governments all over the world have taken in response. Consider what the two largest economic powers have done.

China nearly brought its entire country to a halt. Quarantined cities of millions of people. Built massive hospitals in a matter of days to treat people.

The US shutdown all travel between the two countries - something that has never been done. President Trump has talked about what an extreme measure this was but one that has helped slow the spread. Look at the level of effort and response that the administration, CDC etc are going through to further contain and track down any individuals that may have contracted the virus. Look at the efforts that countries and pharmaceutical companies worldwide are going through to find a vaccine (Trump is meeting later today with the largest pharmaceutical companies in the world at the White House). These are not routine efforts being performed for just another flu.

I have stockpiled nothing but I can’t say that I blame people for feeling that it would be in their best interest. The same thing happens whenever there is a threat of a hurricane - people stock up on supplies that they believe they will need, it happens like clockwork.

When you allow the complete elimination of media authenticity to NOTHING, the “freedom of the press” becomes sheer madness. True legit reporting entities need to step up.

To be honest, the “as first reported by” phrase is complete garbage. Anyone who actually still cares about that is just as pathetic as what’s being reported. How about, “as reported accurately first by” and stand by it.

You know what happens when a sales rep first reports a close of a multimillion dollar sale...... and that sale doesn’t happen? You get shown the door.

I am not for government limiting access but in a “free society” those reporting must focus on accuracy and not blurting out reports.

There’s enough noise from the low IQ crowd and the smart devious folks to manage to begin with.
The smell of partisan politics is all over the reporting...and it smells like shit. Why we put up with this amazes me.

Sensational reporting to attract eyeballs plus human inability to rationally assess and compare risk. The flu kills 646,000 people every year. 1.35 million people are killed on the road every year, 3,700 people every day. Does the media talk about this or weave it into this story? Of course not. They would lose eyeballs back to the normal every day matters in people’s lives.

The smell of partisan politics is all over the reporting...and it smells like shit. Why we put up with this amazes me.

I don’t put up with it. I’m appalled that even smart people are lulled into believing there are only TWO sides. It isn’t partisan or bipartisan. It’s solving an issue, period. Unfortunately solving an issue doesn’t pay media bills.

The human psyche wants to hear about their “team” winning. So, FOXNews initially tapped into this and gained tremendous viewership to keep people glued in all day to play countless shitastic pharmaceutical ads. MSNBC soon followed.

CNN actually held out the longest with providing actual news reporting. Unfortunately, people would get their 15-20 minute news brief and then flock to the shit channels. CNN ultimately fell for the dollar, divide and conquer and watch another Trulicity ad.

FOX/MSN/CNN reporting
- Here’s a partisan view of what happened
- The other side is the devil
- you have heart trouble, tell your doctor
- We have more to tell you, there’s breaking news
- our panel of 8 will speak your opinion for you cause you aren’t capable of developing one
- your skin is effed up, take a pill with 73 side effects including death
- there’s more breaking news

Hence I watch BBC WORLD. They actually do news or at least attempt to.

Yeah maybe, it’s currently wiping out Iran

Is that bad?

No and who knows. It’s taking out government officials, we know what we have with the current guys who knows what happens if a new regime goes in.

Might get some even bigger knuckle heads

That’s a huge overstatement. 1000 people have tested positive, which is only a fraction of actual cases because a high percentage of people get this thing and show no symptoms. 50 some odd deaths are tragic, but Iran is going to be just fine.

this was sent to me, no idea if it’s accurate or not

Here's news

people die every year and you will too eventually

225,000 medical malpractice
70,000 drug overdoses
About 50,000 suicides

and on and on. Can't be afraid of everything

42-7-percent-of-all-statistics-are-made-up-on-the

OP maybe you need to tell China, Japan, South Korea, Italy, Iran, etc this because they’ve shut everything DOWN.

Just your typical overreaction? US Media causing it?

Look the point is not to “freak out” but we absolutely must prepare.

Last edited:
I'm 42 years old never been hospitalized, never had a broken bone, played football as a kid. Grew up fishing and swimming in the congaree river any time I wanted. I've worked outside my whole adult life in the weather and elements and loved it. Never been crazy about vaccines never needed to. Rarely ever even gotten a checkup. I just got finished with an eight day stay in ICU at Lexington medical center. I almost died. My arterial oxygen was at 67%. I had the flu, bacterial pneumonia, and viral pneumonia. I lost 32 lbs in eight days. I was severely dehydrated. I have been stabbed like a pincushion for days and will still be weeks away from full recovery. The thing I noticed from those excellent healthcare pros who's opinions matter to me now more than ever is that they are scared. Their hospital is slammed full of sick people already and they know more are on the way. They all agree this is the worst flu season many of them have ever seen. I thinks it's time people start to take this thing a little more serious and protect themselves.

Agree.

Media shouldn’t cover China shutting down entire city or Japan closing schools or Italy cancelling major sporting events.

People shouldn’t panic, but to act like nobody should talk about it because car accidents kills people it is absurd.
Who said it shouldn’t be covered? There is a difference between balanced coverage with putting things into perspective, and inciting a panic by not.

I truly hope the internet sentiment of over reaction for coronavirus is not how things really are. Is this a bad virus? Yes. Highly contagious? Yes. Potentially dangerous? To those over 65 and those with comorbidities, definitely. Is it worse than the flu? Maybe. Likely worse than the usual flu (that has the benefit of vaccines and previous exposure making a huge difference)? Possibly. Stats appear that way at times, but not when you consider how much better we are at diagnosing the flu and the likelihood that non severe cases of coronavirus, which are common cold symptoms or no symptoms, aren’t reported. Should we take it serious for preventing outbreaks? Yes. However, is the whole world gonna be affected? Most likely cause it’s that contagious.

Yet, despite all of that it doesn’t require an over reactionary hysteria that could really hurt the long run. Such as buying up un needed OTC cold medications or stock piling food or anything like that especially since most people are going to let those things sit in their closet until they expire. Is this thing bad? Yea, but we can still act with reason and common sense.

Coming home to visit America after 2 years in Africa for the first time next week. Will I visit my recently premature born niece? No. Common sense says why risk that given that I’m flying internationally (caveat: for healthy kids this virus is much less dangerous than the flu). I’ll wait till the end of my visa run to see her when I know my family is good.

BUT, if I go to Walmart and there is no cold medications which are almost impossible to get in Africa I’m gonna be slightly annoyed cause that’s how I stock up for myself and our community.

It’s time to show that a first world country that doesn’t deal with almost anything comparatively, can show it can handle itself. Especially when all you have to do it use the same precautions you use EVERY FLU SEASON.

Good article comparing to the flu which is fair to point out the real stats for the severity of each:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/02/29/health/coronavirus-flu.amp.html

Balance is needed. We shouldn't be freaking out, but the worst of this thing is still to come. Pretending it's no biggie is not a strategy. There is a reason these other countries are closing down schools and businesses. A friend of mine is a CEO of a pharma company. He sent out an email to our group of friends saying to take this thing seriously, and especially encouraging us to forward his email to our parents, since they all fall in the high risk group. He says the virus spread will slow down this summer, but they are expecting another big spike in the fall.

Balance is needed. We shouldn't be freaking out, but the worst of this thing is still to come. Pretending it's no biggie is not a strategy. There is a reason these other countries are closing down schools and businesses. A friend of mine is a CEO of a pharma company. He sent out an email to our group of friends saying to take this thing seriously, and especially encouraging us to forward his email to our parents, since they all fall in the high risk group. He says the virus spread will slow down this summer, but they are expecting another big spike in the fall.

Agree with balance. The politicization of this is horrible and counterproductive for everyone.

Agree with balance. The politicization of this is horrible and counterproductive for everyone.

Pence was on Chuck Todd’s show this morning and was asked to name a Democrat who said something irresponsible and he couldn’t name one name. Can you?

Let’s not pretend that if this happened during Obama’s presidency that your boy trump would not have been tweeting up a storm of insults. That’s basically how he became the republican nominee.

Well said. The fear and overreaction comes from the unknown. Will it mutate? What is best treatment protocol? Do we know exact routes of transmissions? How long to a pathogen specific vaccine..... Those questions will be answered in a reasonable amount of time and then Coronavirus will be added to the list of global pandemic news stories that ended with less than a bang like swine flu, bird flu and others. In the meantime, outside the regions that clearly need containment strategies, the unknown is driving people to do things that are unnecessary.

Reactions: ClemsonGentleman
Pence was on Chuck Todd’s show this morning and was asked to name a Democrat who said something irresponsible and he couldn’t name one name. Can you?

Let’s not pretend that if this happened during Obama’s presidency that your boy trump would not have been tweeting up a storm of insults. That’s basically how he became the republican nominee.

Here you are making it political. Ugh.

Reactions: Rdd8188
you are the one who brought up "politicization" in this thread genius.

Yikes. I was agreeing with you and then noted that the politicization of it was horrible and counterproductive. Both in the national discussion and on this board. I didn’t name, blame or do anything political.

Then your reply was to make it political by telling me about Chuck Todd and Mike Pence and “my boy” Trump.

I have another son due in 6 weeks. I hope everyone can put politics and emotion aside and make the best decisions to limit the spread in the US - because I will have one of the vulnerable ones in my home.

You clearly can’t take the emotion out of anything that involves Trump. It’s unfortunate.

Yikes. I was agreeing with you and then noted that the politicization of it was horrible and counterproductive. Both in the national discussion and on this board. I didn’t name, blame or do anything political.

Then your reply was to make it political by telling me about Chuck Todd and Mike Pence and “my boy” Trump.

I have another son due in 6 weeks. I hope everyone can put politics and emotion aside and make the best decisions to limit the spread in the US - because I will have one of the vulnerable ones in my home.

You clearly can’t take the emotion out of anything that involves Trump. It’s unfortunate.

I may have misread your post, but you really can't blame me based on your history.

Congrats on your next child. I am sure everything will go smoothly, but I am truly sorry that you have this additional stress on you and your wife as you go through an already stressful process. I am assuming that the hospital will not allow anyone other than the parents to visit the newborns. I would even check that in advance. You don't want any non-essential people (grandparents, siblings, etc.) visiting that floor of the hospital. And most definitely, don't touch the buttons in the elevator with your hands.

I agree with you that I hope politics can be put aside. My sincere worry is that the current administration will keep information from the public in order to reduce market disruption and any negative affects on reelection. You could say the same thing if a Dem was in office during an election year.

Reactions: IMBlessed

The problem is nobody knows when something is over hyped or hyped just enough. I will give you an example. What if people in 1939 listened to other people warning the world about Adolph Hitler. There were certainly hundreds of media outlets telling the world he was a problem. But, nobody listened. It is the same with Global Warming or Climate Change. Scientist have been beating the drum that it is real, but a significant portion of the population REFUSE to believe it. Who knows who is right? I choose to believe the scientists and the doctors. Not people who don't know diddley.

Reactions: IMBlessed

Don't bet on it. The radical left really does not care about America.

Reactions: Tigerfaith
I agree with you that I hope politics can be put aside. My sincere worry is that the current administration will keep information from the public in order to reduce market disruption and any negative affects on reelection. You could say the same thing if a Dem was in office during an election year.

ANY administration would withhold information. Causing widespread panic does noone any good. It's a balancing act. The admin moved quickly to curtail flights from China and to set up quarantine centers on military bases. He appointed a senior admin official (the VP) to the subject. Then there are the pre-emptive actions that are not made public so as not to cause more hyperbole than there already is.

Reactions: jmm45
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT