ADVERTISEMENT

Taxpayer First Budget

By no means am I a supporter of either Trump or Clinton. I can certainly understand the disdain for Trump. However, a similar case could easily be made for Clinton. In fact, Comey(who everyone hates equally) admitted she was extremely careless with top secret info which by definition is gross negligence, Clinton Foundation scandals, media prepping her with debate questions, Benghazi cover up, etc.

So what about people that voted for Clinton? Are they dumb asses as well?

She was negligent, in general a bad candidate, and I really didn't even like her policies. She's not even a good liberal, which is why I find it so hilarious the way republicans tried to frame her. She's actually pretty moderate, given her hawkishness and her part in some of Bill's worse policies from the 90s.

All that said, her decades of experience, her temperament, and her intelligence gave her a significant leg up on Trump. Simply watching a debate could have settled this, when Trump couldn't even get himself prepared for the most important event in his political career to that point. He has no nose or desire for the nuances and the minutiae required to do this job, something that Clinton, for all her glaring flaws, has in spades.

Bill Clinton wasn't conservative, he was a moderate. In addition to the things you mention above, he was also in favor of universal health care. Aside from banging interns with cigars, he and I share a lot of beliefs. I have no problem with the death penalty, limited welfare, and control of our borders. I'm anti gun control. Yet I'm pro choice, don't have a problem with gay folks having rights, and think that it's OK to deny gun ownership to crazy/mentally impaired people. In other words, a moderate.

No moderate can get elected by either party right now b/c the fringe elements of both parties are running the show. There's no desire to compromise or work with each other. Clinton was able to balance the budget b/c he worked with house and senate republicans as well as his own party to get things done. Obama shat the bed in 2009-10 even though he had majorities in both houses b/c he wouldn't work with the other side. Trump is currently shiiting the bed for the same reason.
From an economic standpoint I would argue that Clinton was the most conservative president since Regan

Reactions: vinotiger
you will literally believe any right wing conspiracy theory. this article related to cognitive function, something that never showed to wane with hillary clinton, despite her flaws.
Ruh row. It seems not only the right wing looney's were curious about her health but *gasp* MSNBC!

images

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/201...s-health-scare-9-unanswered-questions-n646551

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/19/us/politics/hillary-clinton-health.html?_r=0

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...presidential-campaign/?utm_term=.0d9e2ec8de0c

I'm not going to continue to link posts refuting your ridiculous statements bc it's clear you're just a shill for the Dems...someone that they love by the way. I'm also not going to give you too much grief bc I know you're just a young kid just getting into the real world that thinks they are a SJW. I'll let reality beat your ass in due time. I will say this though, I doubt you'd talk to anyone in public like you talk to those here. Anonymity has it's protections...

You make it just too easy.

I don't think you know what obstruction of justice is. Just because there's presently no hard evidence of collusion between Trump and Russia doesn't mean that he's in any way in the clear or that this scandal is "made up." If the confirmed reports of Trump and Comey's meetings are to be believed, then there's a strong possibility that Trump attempted to influence or stifle the investigation.

Ruh row. It seems not only the right wing looney's were curious about her health but *gasp* MSNBC!

images

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/201...s-health-scare-9-unanswered-questions-n646551

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/19/us/politics/hillary-clinton-health.html?_r=0

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...presidential-campaign/?utm_term=.0d9e2ec8de0c

I'm not going to continue to link posts refuting your ridiculous statements bc it's clear you're just a shill for the Dems...someone that they love by the way. I'm also not going to give you too much grief bc I know you're just a young kid just getting into the real world that thinks they are a SJW. I'll let reality beat your ass in due time. I will say this though, I doubt you'd talk to anyone in public like you talk to those here. Anonymity has it's protections...

Lol you're such a cliche. I'm not an "SJW"; I've been in the "real world" for awhile now and if anything, "reality" has only strengthened my views. Also, it would satisfy me greatly to call you an asshole to your face if you acted anywhere near as clueless and unfunny as you are on here.

There is no impeachment scandal. You are listening to media and Democrats and falling for fake news.. What has Trump done illegal or wrong? Be specific.

Economy has accelerated in strength since his election. High level business leaders are thrilled with Trump. Unemployment with improvement. Stock market strengthening. Financial statements are strengthening for many American companies. Consumer confidence has gained significantly.

Many foreign leaders are pleased with Trump over Obama as prez. Just look at how the middle eastern world responded to him these last few days. He got the red carpet in Saudi Arabia with the Muslim world leaders largely in attendance as well as in Israel. They did nothing of the sort for Obama whom they mostly disdained for favoring terrorists and ISIS and Iran in many policies and actions.

This is one of the most incredibly bad things I've ever read here and that is saying something because Ryan Bartow used to write for this site.

Love the concept. Haven't dug into the details, but this is absolutely the right mindset.

"This is the first time that an administration has written a budget through the perspective of the people paying the taxes," Mulvaney told reporters Monday night.

...calls for $800 billion in cuts to Medicaid and a $193 billion reduction in food stamps over the next ten years.

"We are no longer going to measure compassion by the number of people on those programs. We're going to measure compassion by how many people we can get off those programs," said Mulvaney, who added that there would be a work requirement for some Americans to continue receiving food stamps.

"If you're on food stamps and you're able-bodied, then we need you to go to work," Mulvaney said.

For the record, this post was started by a non-liberal and is of conservative nature - ergo, it will not be moved to the roundtable. Otherwise, it would have been gone in 3 seconds to the roundtable.

Reactions: fcctiger12
Why is using low tax loopholes smart business but using safety need loopholes to feed your family being a mooch?

Because the first person is working and the second is presumed not working, at least in the fat part of the bell curve for this situation.

The first person is retaining something earned through work and otherwise forfeited to the government by force while the second person is presumed to be getting something not worked for (and made worse by the fact that the "safety need" funds are taken by Government force from those who do work).

Reactions: nmerritt11
Because the first person is working and the second is presumed not working, at least in the fat part of the bell curve for this situation.

The first person is retaining something earned through work and otherwise forfeited to the government by force while the second person is presumed to be getting something not worked for (and made worse by the fact that the "safety need" funds are taken by Government force from those who do work).

Exactly...using tax loopholes is maximizing your earnings

Sub prime lending was on him too but Bush gets blamed for it

Subprime lending is on our private central bank, every POTUS is a bystander, just like you and me. Greenspan thought he was God and actually admitted, in public, he could make paper work like gold, which is ironic, because now he has seen the light and is a proponent for going back on the gold standard. He blew the dot com bubble with big puffs of hot air via lowering interest rates to near zero causing massive malinvestment.

Then this moron proceeded to oversee the largest financial ruinous experiment (to that point) in the history of man, i.e. subprime lending. But wait, it gets better. His protégé, big Ben Bernanke decided that subprime wasn't good enough so we should move forward with liquidating all the bad financials with "free" money, thereby expanding the fed's balance sheet to now over 4 TRILLION dollars and making the subprime crisis bubble look like a kids bathtub full of bubbles. But there is more! Now, since 2008, after all the "temporary" measures to "fix" the markets were enacted, the private central banks of the world now purchase around 200 BILLION dollars per MONTH so this whole racket stays afloat until the big kahuna finally hits, which according to my clock, I suspect this POTUS will be "in charge" when it happens.

Of course it is always easier to find "bad" people (China, Russia, Iran, N. Korea, Syria, etc.. we have so many to choose from) to blame all of our bullsh*t on and maybe start some wars or something to distract all the people into believing none of this bad sh*t was/is caused by us. Historically speaking, that has always worked very well to.

Reactions: Ancheaux's Revenge

lol. the republican party, everyone.
No one is going to touch this. My question is if they correct it before they vote on it in the House or if they really just double down on. 'Betting on the American people' bs.

http://time.com/money/4675207/kansas-tax-cuts-donald-trump-plan/

Trickle down isn't the answer. I don't think the average tax payer has the attention span or desire to understand the multiple spending and tax policy changes that would be required. I think it's worth investing in our people to make sure they don't end up being a drain on society. Revamping education, decriminalizing drugs and reigning in the spending on those programs would be the way I would go. 'School choice' is a farce, its a rouse forced on the American people by those that would teach religion in the classroom on tax payer dollars. Don't fall for that crap.

Reactions: clemsonpaw00
precisely.

Is it wrong that I get joy out of watching people cry about Trump? Is it wrong that I celebrate in watching Democrats twist in agony trying to explain a 1000 lost Legislative seats the past 6 years?

Large segment of American population was not happy with the way the nation was going - whether taken as a whole, or taken in bits and pieces and broken down to an individual topic for potential voters. The pendulum will swing back (it always does). But I am glad we are trending back to the way the I want America to be run. For the time being certain policies are either being turned around completely, or at a minimum stalled and not allowed to progress further. And honestly I don't really care who is in the WH for Republicans. I just know in my mind we are now going back in a better direction. And apparently, there are many locations around the country in agreement.

Gonna be a looooooong 4 or 8 years for some of you apparently. Again - it will swing back in your favor. Sooner or later. But right now, the "dumbasses" are in control, and that is something you will just have to live with.

Don't let another left leaning Supreme Court justice die or quit in the next 3 years. Cause then, as a nation, we will go further to the right for another long stretch of time. If I were a Dem, that is what would concern me the MOST. Because then, even if Congress and WH go back to the left, any rules challenged that eventually will make it to the Supreme Court are not likely to win.

No one is going to touch this. My question is if they correct it before they vote on it in the House or if they really just double down on. 'Betting on the American people' bs.

firegiver - if you follow politics and/or budgets, you KNOW that Congress doesn't vote on Presidential Budget proposals. Both sides of the aisle state as such. Congress basically does what they want in setting and passing budgets.

Is it wrong that I get joy out of watching people cry about Trump? Is it wrong that I celebrate in watching Democrats twist in agony trying to explain a 1000 lost Legislative seats the past 6 years?

Large segment of American population was not happy with the way the nation was going - whether taken as a whole, or taken in bits and pieces and broken down to an individual topic for potential voters. The pendulum will swing back (it always does). But I am glad we are trending back to the way the I want America to be run. For the time being certain policies are either being turned around completely, or at a minimum stalled and not allowed to progress further. And honestly I don't really care who is in the WH for Republicans. I just know in my mind we are now going back in a better direction. And apparently, there are many locations around the country in agreement.

Gonna be a looooooong 4 or 8 years for some of you apparently. Again - it will swing back in your favor. Sooner or later. But right now, the "dumbasses" are in control, and that is something you will just have to live with.

Don't let another left leaning Supreme Court justice die or quit in the next 3 years. Cause then, as a nation, we will go further to the right for another long stretch of time. If I were a Dem, that is what would concern me the MOST. Because then, even if Congress and WH go back to the left, any rules challenged that eventually will make it to the Supreme Court are not likely to win.

I have never seen a group of people take a loss so hard

Reactions: vinotiger
firegiver - if you follow politics and/or budgets, you KNOW that Congress doesn't vote on Presidential Budget proposals. Both sides of the aisle state as such. Congress basically does what they want in setting and passing budgets.
Yes I'm quite aware that the presidents proposal is just a 'suggestion' to the house.

Where do people like yourself get the idea that everyone getting government assistance is just sitting at home collecting a check? Sure there are people who take advantage of the system, but there are also poor people who go to work every day. Quit making blanket generalization when you have no idea what you're talking about.

Oh BTW, the people who are cheating the system now will always find a way to cheat the system. Those people are criminals and will figure out another way to make "easy" money.
Well, all I have is anecdotal evidence and for the area where I work. I deal with people on government assistance and welfare almost daily. The vast majority and by that I mean almost all of them do not work.

Actually he grew a large base because most people agreed with what he said. Sorry you weren't one of those people and you are really really but hurt. But it is what it is. Merica!
He grew a large base because of people like clemsonpaw00 running around calling hardworking Americans dumbasses.

Reactions: alex24
He grew a large base because of people like clemsonpaw00 running around calling hardworking Americans dumbasses.

Honestly - I think this is part of it. You had a segment of the population that normally sits on the sidelines during elections - specifically Presidential elections.

Just like Obama drew out a segment that really had not been involved in politics before - Trump drew out voters who maybe didn't care. And I do believe some of that was more anti-Dem stuff than pro-Trump stuff.

Maybe I should state that the "election" drew out voters instead of Trump. I think the Dem agenda and being talked down to really fired up that certain segment that voted Trump.

right, you would pick party over country, which is what people did with trump. not talking about the MAGA part of the base, talking about the republicans who claim they "didn't support him" but voted for him anyway by doing the mental gymnastics required to convince themselves that hillary was a worse candidate. i've probably posted 20 times in this thread and i haven't even scratched the surface of some of trump's more heinous qualities. people literally voted for a man who said on tape that he uses his celebrity to sexually assault women. because the people here would rather rah rah over their "victory" and talk about how dumb libs are than actually do some self-reflection and wonder whether it was really best to vote for a senile, amoral, narcissistic and clueless 70-year-old man into office.

@scotchtiger here is a good article about this budget proposal and how big of a JOKE and how flawed it is. I touched on some of this yesterday. Pasted below is a particularly important excerpt where Mick Mulvaney admits that the math in the proposal doesn't add up, but basically states it would have been too hard to release something if he didn't make it appear deficit neutral, even though it admittedly is not.

And, again, for the record, I'm not beating you up on this. I just see you as a smart guy who is much like I was at one point in my life. I hate taxes and I get beat up as bad as anyone, but I realized at some point you have to acknowledge that politicians are one-sided con artists with personal agendas and you can't be beholden to one side and defend things that don't make sense even if they sound good just because it came from your side. I'm a Finance grad and a Finance guy by trade, so maybe I just see things differently than most. But the numbers are not on the President's or Mulvaney's side. This is a half-assed attempt at budget policy that I would fire someone for bringing to me in my company, and I can't imagine someone putting this together for the federal budget and still being employeed.

"Then we get to the double counting. Trump's budget also says the growth-boosting impact of his policies will generate an extra $2.1 trillion in federal revenue, even though some of that growth is supposed to come from tax cuts he already banked on to try to make his tax reform deficit-neutral. The White House doesn't say exactly how much of that extra growth was supposed to come from tax policy as opposed to other things, but taxes are clearly a centerpiece of Trump's growth strategy, so let's call it half and add $1.05 trillion to the $4 trillion to $6 trillion hole the Tax Foundation found.

Now rather than a balanced budget you have a $5 trillion to $7 trillion deficit — and that's under very aggressive supply-side assumptions.

How did this happen?
Office of Management and Budget Director Mick Mulvaney offered a baffling defense of this accounting strategy at his Monday briefing with reporters.

He explained that the budget assumes tax reform will be deficit-neutral because "it was in all honesty the most efficient way to look at it." How so? Well, he explained, "if we said it's going to add to the deficit, then we have to go into more detail than what's in the summary right now, [and] if we say it's going to reduce the deficit, we have to go into more detail than what's in it right now. And we simply are not in a position to do that."

In other words, he assumed the tax plan would be deficit-neutral because that made his life easier — not because there is any reason to believe it. And because no analytics went into justifying that assumption, officials didn't notice that they were double-counting the growth.

As Maya MacGuineas of the Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget observed in her statement on the proposal, "the same money cannot be used twice."

The underlying issue here, beyond Trump's habit of overpromising and general disregard for the truth, is the slapdash process through which his tax plan was released. According to Politico's Shane Goldmacher, Trump's economic team was busy working on the difficult problem of designing a revenue-neutral tax plan when someone showed him a New York Times op-ed by Steve Forbes, Larry Kudlow, Arthur Laffer, and Stephen Moore that argued Trump should forget about deficit neutrality and endorse a big deficit-increasing tax cut like he did on the campaign trail.

"Trump summoned staff to talk about" the op-ed, according to Goldmacher. "His message: Make this the tax plan."

Then two days later, on a Friday, Trump told the press that his tax plan would be ready by next week, even though his staff didn't have a plan. Consequently, they rushed out a blueprint based on his campaign plan and didn't worry too much about the fact that it isn't remotely deficit-neutral. The budget team, meanwhile, just plowed ahead as if none of that had happened and Trump was still working on a deficit-neutral plan."

For years the taxpayer who foots the bill has been getting bent over at the expense of free loaders, this pretty much says it all:

“We looked at this budget through the eyes of the people who are paying the bills and for years we simply looked at a budget in terms of folks who were at the back ends of the programs the recipients of the tax payer money and not nearly enough focusing our attention on people who pay the taxes,” Mulvaney said.

Reactions: CLT-Tiger
right, you would pick party over country, which is what people did with trump. not talking about the MAGA part of the base, talking about the republicans who claim they "didn't support him" but voted for him anyway by doing the mental gymnastics required to convince themselves that hillary was a worse candidate. i've probably posted 20 times in this thread and i haven't even scratched the surface of some of trump's more heinous qualities. people literally voted for a man who said on tape that he uses his celebrity to sexually assault women. because the people here would rather rah rah over their "victory" and talk about how dumb libs are than actually do some self-reflection and wonder whether it was really best to vote for a senile, amoral, narcissistic and clueless 70-year-old man into office.

You are right on one thing - I voted Trump because I don't agree with much that the Democratic party has to offer. Just my opinion. Honestly, with the checks and balances, Presidents don't have nearly as much power as most think or assume. Certainly on the budget they just throw out ideas. Congress runs the country.

I could care less on some of Trump's qualities. He is what he is - a businessman trying to run politics as a business. It won't work. Can't work that way. So what? Congress going to do what they want to do - whether it is health care, budget, new laws, funding, etc. etc. Why would a person vote for a "person" instead of a "party platform"?

Nobody is going to change your mind. You aren't changing anyone's mind either. People weren't happy with the direction of the Country when you strip it down to the lowest denominator. We get it - over and over and over - you don't like Trump and think very little of people who voted for him. Me? I will just continue to laugh at you and the like for the next 4 or 8 years. I'm looking forward to some new direction. We have different visions of what we want our Country to be. That's fine.

For years the taxpayer who foots the bill has been getting bent over at the expense of free loaders, this pretty much says it all:

“We looked at this budget through the eyes of the people who are paying the bills and for years we simply looked at a budget in terms of folks who were at the back ends of the programs the recipients of the tax payer money and not nearly enough focusing our attention on people who pay the taxes,” Mulvaney said.
I'm firmly middle class, and I'll be paying more taxes. But at least my kid's schools will suffer. So thats good?

I'm firmly middle class, and I'll be paying more taxes. But at least my kid's schools will suffer. So thats good?

why would schools suffer? Isn't school funding controlled by local taxes and not Federal?

I understand there are grants available. But locals could fund all the school $ they chose. Doesn't have much to do with income taxes, right?

Reactions: Ron Munson
You are right on one thing - I voted Trump because I don't agree with much that the Democratic party has to offer. Just my opinion. Honestly, with the checks and balances, Presidents don't have nearly as much power as most think or assume. Certainly on the budget they just throw out ideas. Congress runs the country.

I could care less on some of Trump's qualities. He is what he is - a businessman trying to run politics as a business. It won't work. Can't work that way. So what? Congress going to do what they want to do - whether it is health care, budget, new laws, funding, etc. etc. Why would a person vote for a "person" instead of a "party platform"?

Nobody is going to change your mind. You aren't changing anyone's mind either. People weren't happy with the direction of the Country when you strip it down to the lowest denominator. We get it - over and over and over - you don't like Trump and think very little of people who voted for him. Me? I will just continue to laugh at you and the like for the next 4 or 8 years. I'm looking forward to some new direction. We have different visions of what we want our Country to be. That's fine.

your party spent eight years casting obama and obamacare as these great evils that could only be stopped by them, leading to the great shift in legislative seats you referenced above. and now that they're actually in power, it turns out they have no idea how to actually govern or enact policy (a quote from actual moron donald trump: "nobody knew healthcare could be this complicated"). they're trying to push through a healthcare bill that's supported by 31% of americans and a budget which contained an embarrassing $2 trillion dollar error.

so trust me, we're laughing over here, too. because just as suspected during all those years of hand-wringing over obama, the republican party still has no actual idea what it's doing or what its party even is anymore.

and the fact that this budget was hinged upon a massive counting error means what for you exactly?

This debate really is about who is worse isn't it? Some people think Trump is worse and some think Hillary is. I can't imagine a rational person who would choose party over country. Trump isn't even a Republican so how can that be? It goes against our very nature as humans to support something that is detrimental to us. Sure there are some irrational folks on both sides but I think they are the minority. I didn't agree with many of Obama's policies or Bush's for that matter, but I absolutely wanted both to succeed. If Hillary would have been elected I would be 100% hoping for her success because I live in this country. When Dabo was first hired, I was very skeptical as most were. I am happy AF I was dead wrong, because I am a Clemson fan.

your party spent eight years casting obama and obamacare as these great evils that could only be stopped by them, leading to the great shift in legislative seats you referenced above. and now that they're actually in power, it turns out they have no idea how to actually govern or enact policy (a quote from actual moron donald trump: "nobody knew healthcare could be this complicated"). they're trying to push through a healthcare bill that's supported by 31% of americans and a budget which contained an embarrassing $2 trillion dollar error.

so trust me, we're laughing over here, too. because just as suspected during all those years of hand-wringing over obama, the republican party still has no actual idea what it's doing or what its party even is anymore.

Jeez. Why all the hostility? I tried to give you some reasons why people weren't necessarily "dumb asses" for voting for Trump. Man, are you even going to be able to make it these next several years? I don't get it. I really don't.

Again - no President has ever had his budget proposal voted on. Who cares what was in it? Who cares if it had errors? Hell, I doubt very many in Congress actually read it. The budget proposal is all grandstanding. So was Obama's. So was Bush's. So was Clinton's. etc etc. None of those proposals will even be voted on. Trump, or Clinton, or whomever could make all kinds of statement about what they are going to do. Guess what? Congress won't let them.

Over the next 4 or 8 years, we will see what they can get done. Shifting the Supreme Court back to the right, and then number of Fed Judges they (he) will appoint won't hurt. That is a good start.

And back to what started the whole thread - getting the budget under control will be another good step. And that would include getting the entitilement programs in better financial health. That would serve our Country better than most anything else.

Reactions: Ron Munson
This debate really is about who is worse isn't it? Some people think Trump is worse and some think Hillary is. I can't imagine a rational person who would choose party over country. Trump isn't even a Republican so how can that be? It goes against our very nature as humans to support something that is detrimental to us. Sure there are some irrational folks on both sides but I think they are the minority. I didn't agree with many of Obama's policies or Bush's for that matter, but I absolutely wanted both to succeed. If Hillary would have been elected I would be 100% hoping for her success because I live in this country. When Dabo was first hired, I was very skeptical as most were. I am happy AF I was dead wrong, because I am a Clemson fan.

i was willing to "give trump a chance." then he started selecting cabinet members, and any hopes of "success" (whatever that looks like) were dashed immediately.

Reactions: broncosrb26
Jeez. Why all the hostility? I tried to give you some reasons why people weren't necessarily "dumb asses" for voting for Trump. Man, are you even going to be able to make it these next several years? I don't get it. I really don't.

Again - no President has ever had his budget proposal voted on. Who cares what was in it? Who cares if it had errors? Hell, I doubt very many in Congress actually read it. The budget proposal is all grandstanding. So was Obama's. So was Bush's. So was Clinton's. etc etc. None of those proposals will even be voted on. Trump, or Clinton, or whomever could make all kinds of statement about what they are going to do. Guess what? Congress won't let them.

Over the next 4 or 8 years, we will see what they can get done. Shifting the Supreme Court back to the right, and then number of Fed Judges they (he) will appoint won't hurt. That is a good start.

And back to what started the whole thread - getting the budget under control will be another good step. And that would include getting the entitilement programs in better financial health. That would serve our Country better than most anything else.

i'll be dandy, because plenty of others are already right there with me (see: trump's record-low approval rating). we'll see whether we can say the same for the republican party in four years, because they're sure hinging a lot on trump.

ADVERTISEMENT