ADVERTISEMENT

Thank you to all the Dabo Doubters!!!

jhallen

Lake Baikal
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2004
I don't post as much these days as I don't feel the need to comment as often now because we are so blessed with dozens upon dozens of experts on the board that know how to build a college football program better than anyone not named Nick Saban. It really is quite the honor to be around these unhired, underutilized, undiscovered and unemployed (in the world of college football) individuals. Talk about diamonds in the rough. I am sure when you are ready, you will grace us all at some obscure underachieving program and rise to the top of the college football ranks in record time! I personally can't wait! :cool:

In all seriousness, I for one am grateful for you folks. Your opinions run directly opposite of the second greatest college football coach on the planet...Dabo Swinney. And in order to get the best version of our head man, he needs to be doubted. Well, by God the man has got it and so I hope the negative nancies keep fueling our man. You're like the Jelly of the Month Club, you're the gift that keeps on giving (that was a nod to you @Cris_Ard, watching it right now). So please keep telling Dabo the game has passed him by. Keep giving your constructive criticisms at every turn. The same type people said that about Nick Saban back in 2018 after Dabo hung a 44-16 whipping on him on the game's biggest stage. With all the talent Saban had on his roster, the next season Alabama lost 2 games and didn't even make the playoffs. The world was crowning Clemson as the next new dynasty and Nick Saban as an old coach on the way out. Yeah, they were bad wrong and something tells me our resident experts will help create some Dabo Deja vu again soon. No one believed in him in 2008 when he got the job and later lost to South Florida. More doubted him after the Orange Bowl massacre and 5 straight to UofSC. But the man kept working and believing and reeled off a decade of dominance. And now here we are with so many "problems." I have a hard time recalling what all the experts need Dabo to change as he has lost control of the wheel! I do believe I have condensed it down to 2 major areas:

First is Dabo's foolish hires. I know this is a stretch and forgive me for suggesting this, but is it "possible" that Dabo may know best here. I mean the man has his hands on the pulse of everything Clemson football all day every day. The one thing I have learned from the type of man Dabo is, this dude believes in working your way up. He was a crawl on WR that earned his way on the field with Alabama and helped win a National Title. He was selling real estate (not insurance, my b) that earned his chance back in college football to work under Tommy Bowden and was eventually hired as the head coach of Clemson. And it's key to understand that hire back in 2008 to understand why Dabo is going within his ranks to promote a new OC and DC. This guy was never an OC or a DC. He was never a head coach at any level. But yet Clemson gave him the shot because they saw who Dabo was. Terry Don Phillips knew what he had in Dabo. He knew he was worth the "risk." After the firing of Napier and Steele, Dabo did what he had to do and went outside to find the "Clemson Offense and Defense." He did that because he knew what he wanted and he needed to bring an expert in to show them how to implement that vision. He found that in Morris and Venables. Since then Dabo has brought in assistants and analysts that fit his culture. They have been learning under these men. He promoted from within with Elliot and Scott to replace Morris. That turned out okay. And now he is doing it again because like TDP, Dabo sees what he needs to see in these men. We aren't building rockets here. It's football. They have seen how its done at the highest level. These guys are good enough for the head man. I trust in Dabo's judgement just like TDP trusted in him too.

And then there is Dabo's fumbling of the portal. Wow this guy is clueless right? I read the other day that the game has passed Dabo by and much of it is centered around the much talked about portal. Listen, I don't disagree with some of you that we need to utilize it. I believe Dabo will, but only to a certain extent. If you are the Nick Saban model where Saban runs a football factory, the portal is a much different tool. Saban uses it to replace a player that's not performing or to fill a hole. Again it's a factory. Produce or get fired. The vast majority of programs in America that try to run their programs the same way do so with much less success. Take Georgia, they go get the highest "star" athlete they can either in high school or the portal. Fit, attitude, character, etc... aren't as high on the list for them. They want the best "players." And Georgia is arguably the most talented team in America. The portal for teams like this is essentially free agency. To those kids in their current locker rooms it's known, eat or be eaten. Perform or get replaced. We can outrecruit you and send you packing or we can use the portal and do the same.

Let's be honest...ONE team dominates using this method. Alabama. Not Georgia, not LSU, not Auburn, not Michigan, and even not Ohio State. Saban is the standard of that model.

The next most successful program in America the past 10 years operates by a completely different standard. Clemson.

Dabo is quintessential "Rudy" type coach. Dabo built Clemson on the idea that he was going to recruit great players AND equally important, great people. He was going to establish a culture of hard work, earning your way, paying your dues, and he was going to use that to teach these young men about life, as well as football. He rightly believed that there are parents out there that want their son's heart served as much as their playing ability enhanced. Those same parents still exist. The portal, NILs, nothing is going to make Dabo change his philosophy and become Kirby Smart. Why should he? He has built the only thing close that can rival Saban. Dabo is going to utilize the portal when it fits his culture, but not at the expense of it. Dabo doesn't run a football factory. Dabo runs a Football Family. All the people clamoring for us to be like Bama and Georgia are going to be vastly disappointed if you want this head coach to do what other head coaches are doing.

If what college coaches tell me is true, it won't be long before portal guys are seen as high risk kids. Many are already. Sure there are examples where it fits and helps to meet a need. Sure there are the Jordan Williams of the world that are great pickups. But if everyone wants Dabo to just fill needs with these portal kids at the expense of undercutting his culture of hard work, rise up, separation from the preparation... then it won't happen. Dabo is going to continue to build his program from the high school ranks. He is going to continue to go after "our kind of guys." He is going to continue to build this family.

Before I recede back into my little corner of the world, I will say this. Dabo may eventually become unsuccessful as a college football coach if this new era becomes more of an NFL style model. I guess it could happen. Dabo's way may not fit this new version of college football. But if I had to guess, Dabo will find a way and he won't undermine his entire philosophy for doing it the way everyone else is doing it. Adjust? Yes he will adjust. Take the right portal fit? Yes he will take them when he can't hit the recruiting trail to fill the need. But there is only one program and one man that comes close to Saban and it's Dabo. Dabo will continue to be a guy that loves walk-ons (he was one). He will continue to pull for the underdog (he has always been one). He will continue to build family and values over a win at all costs mentality. He will continue to raise coaches up on his way and promote from within when they are ready.

You can't change a Tiger's stripes. Dabo is who he is. But the best Dabo is the one who is doubted. All the board experts thinks he is an idiot for not taking to the portal like a Black Friday shopping spree or hiring the best X's O's guy for our offense and defense. It's that same type of thinking that spurred this man to greatness 13 years ago. If you listened to Brent Venables' presser when he took the OU job, I think he is going to follow the same model as Dabo. One of the brightest coaches in America and the best DC we have ever had is going to start his dream job using the same philosophy as Dabo Swinney. Not Saban, not Smart, Not Day. Dabo! Says a lot if you ask me. Should be interesting to see how the "experts" view it in Norman.

For some reason I trust the guy that figured out how to win better than any other program in the past 10 years not named Bama. I hope the future greats on here don't take that personally. I love you guys. You are highly needed in this next trek back to the mountaintop of college football. Keep being who you are!!! Dabo is watching. (Control-P 😬)

We WILL return to the top and Dabo will lead us there! I CAN'T WAIT!!!
Go Tigers!
Beat Iowa State!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.