ADVERTISEMENT

The latest talk show fodder on the baseball search...

1Clemzunfan

Nov 7, 2001
Just passing along what I heard this morning on Teddy Heffner's show in Columbia. As some of you may or may not know, Teddy is a long time sports talk show host in the midlands and he is a very big college baseball guy and is very close to the USC baseball program and has had a good relationship with their program and staff, including Tanner, Holbrook, Lee, etc.

Teddy said that Lee was heading up to Clemson for a second discussion withe Clemson today. He said that right now he believes the decision may be leaning toward Lee or the Maryland coach, Szecf, with the Virginia assistant still an outside shot. He thinks those three are the 2nd tier behind the home run hire guys you have to at least ask, like Corbin, Sully, and Schlossnagle who probably aren't an option.

The thing that he did say that was interesting is that Monte Lee and Lecroy knew each other well and that depending on the situation with Lee's staff at COC he could see him being willing to keep Lecroy on staff if he was hired.

I don't know, but would guess this 2nd "interview" might be to get a little more into the weeds on how Lee would proceed with things if he is their guy and coaching staff would be one of those things discussed. Sounds like we are getting closer to wrapping this all up. Again, just passing along the latest talk show fodder.

I've felt since the beginning Lee would probably be the guy we ended up with and I am happy with that "if" he is the guy. I think there was no shot at Corbin and McDonnell cost too much. Sully was maybe more open to a change than Corbin (again, zero chance), but it doesn't sound like that was a good fit for various reasons. Schlossnagle evidently is content at TCU. Given those 4 not being likely options, I think Lee has to be #1 in my book.

Lee sounds like a hard worker, a great recruiter, a tremendous developmental coach, he knows this state and this region, he's been a coach on championship teams, he has head coaching experience and has had success as a head coach. He is also familiar with Clemson and the passion of our fanbase for baseball. Lastly, he's a young guy who could be around a long time. If he wants to keep Lecroy, that would also provide some continuity with our incoming recruiting class and returning players and keep someone who loves Clemson baseball as much as anyone in the dugout and providing the continuity we've had for 60 years from isnide our program. Lee may be the best fit and someone I would be excited about.

Again, I have no inside info on this and am just relaying the latest from Heffner who is connected pretty well to college baseball in this state, especially to anyone ever associated with USC baseball. He really, really, likes Lee and he knows baseball and follows it closely, especially at USC. I am not saying Lee has the job. But all signs seem to be leaning more in his direction.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.