ADVERTISEMENT

This is very sobering if it’s indeed true...

When the shutdowns started, this is what I was more worried about than the virus. I’m usually an optimistic person and laughing, but it took its toll on me for a few weeks. I had to shut the news off and other than watching it last week to check the hurricane while I was at the beach, I really haven’t watched much since March.

Those numbers seem extremely high to me. I’m sure the numbers have gone up but I’m dubious they are that high. And it wouldn’t be the first time the CDC got something wrong. That said, I truly believe that in an ideal world, if we could shut down social media sites for a few months (and yes I realize this message board is a form of social media) and possibly even news sites, people would be better off and realize that the world isn’t some awful place to be feared on a daily basis. The overwhelming and repeated messaging received on those sites (and admittedly I’m on two of them) is one of divide and despair. It’s truly become a gutter for human emotion. Unfortunately, many people are addicted to those sites on a daily and even hourly basis. Some so much that they take over their lives. My dad is 73 years old. He is retired and had a successful career. He plays golf and enjoys himself quite a bit. But even with him, I can’t tell you the amount of times in the past few years I’ve heard him say to me “I read on Facebook....”. I’m sure it’s a whole lot worse for the younger folks.

When the shutdowns started, this is what I was more worried about than the virus. I’m usually an optimistic person and laughing, but it took its toll on me for a few weeks. I had to shut the news off and other than watching it last week to check the hurricane while I was at the beach, I really haven’t watched much since March.

Me too. This scares the hell out of me.

It's why I am such a proponent of schools opening up. It's risky but kids need some social interaction and some normalcy. It wouldn't affect the 18-25 demographic but I imagine the school-age kids are facing a similar issue.

Last edited:
one thing we do know

kids are not happy if they cant play

natalie used to tell me that there are goods kinds of play like

painting

drawing

dancing

hula hooping

skipping rocks

picking flowers

playing tag

hop scotch

festivals

and duck duck goose

then their are bad ways to play

football

boxing

mma

baseball

basketball

attend church

basically anything with a winner declared or someone could get hurt

so if they can get rid of the middle class

and at the same time force kids into their favorite ways to play

they will change america

----------------

shut your business down

get you on govt support of some type

take your guns

take away away your police

soften punishment for petty crimes

offer you free healthcare

tax billionaires (which means cut a deal with large corporations after they get all the small business owners on govt checks

How can people not get this? Our ever knowing central planners already factored in these deaths when deciding on policy. This is a necessary and planned cost.

If your life is spared give thanks and pray our planners remained merciful.

I don’t believe that number for one second.
Funny how liberals use politics to decide what is and isn’t real from the cdc.

forcing people into isolation comes at a cost. It’s common sense. I normally get to spend a lot of my income on things I enjoy. I haven’t been to concerts, haven’t been to sports, haven’t caught up with friends at bars, haven’t seen many friends, took a pay cut due to Covid, and my job has became much more difficult.

I’m 10x more stressed than normal and I’m someone that doesn’t have any financial stress. I can’t imagine what it’s like for others.

I'm not doubting that suicides have gone up since the shutdowns because I figured they would but someone please tell me how the CDC would know this?

Reactions: Pvilletigerfan
If there is one thing readers itt should learn is not all suicides or deep depressions are the same. Line up the 132 suicide victims from just one day in this country (the avg) and you’ll see 132 similar but very different internal struggles. Just like everyone’s bodies & physical capabilities are different, the brain is complex and therefore we all are wired to handle life differently.

Proudly go to the gym, and proudly go to the brain gym (therapy, individual and/or group). Take care of yourselves TI.

https://afsp.org/suicide-statistics/

Do any and everything possible preventatively to better yourself. If you are past that point
and are struggling like a large number of people statistically are, start your process today.
Talk to someone, join a group, or - like I have recommended before - attend a survivors-of-a-loved-one’s-suicide meeting. You’ll see the lifelong devastating metaphorical anvil survivors carry with them. Witnessing the raw emotions and stories of someone choosing death over the history of fighting for survival of our ancestors past will have a major impact on your life.

And of course my PMs are always open if you need to vent, reach out, or just know there is a set of unbiased ears ready to listen.

How do you even measure something like that? People just put things together for clicks. If young people, or really anyone in general would get off social media and not watch the news their lives would be much better. They can’t do it though. People are completely addicted to social media and it is so pathetic.

Those numbers seem extremely high to me. I’m sure the numbers have gone up but I’m dubious they are that high. And it wouldn’t be the first time the CDC got something wrong. That said, I truly believe that in an ideal world, if we could shut down social media sites for a few months (and yes I realize this message board is a form of social media) and possibly even news sites, people would be better off and realize that the world isn’t some awful place to be feared on a daily basis. The overwhelming and repeated messaging received on those sites (and admittedly I’m on two of them) is one of divide and despair. It’s truly become a gutter for human emotion. Unfortunately, many people are addicted to those sites on a daily and even hourly basis. Some so much that they take over their lives. My dad is 73 years old. He is retired and had a successful career. He plays golf and enjoys himself quite a bit. But even with him, I can’t tell you the amount of times in the past few years I’ve heard him say to me “I read on Facebook....”. I’m sure it’s a whole lot worse for the younger folks.
Very thoughtful. And correct, in my opinion. But I was told by upper management that TI is not social media. I do see the difference. Anonymity being foremost. Paid group is another. And in general TI isn’t full of shit like Facebook. It hasn’t been long that this board helped avert a suicide.

I can tell you from first hand experience from my practice that the real threat to people's lives from this virus is mental health. The way we have handled this is destroying people's lives needlessly. The impact on their mental health because of all of the shutdowns and quarantining is much more devastating to people's health than the virus is. We have burned down the house to kill a spider.

I heard a stat the other day on the radio that said the percentage of high school athletes with clinical depression in some state (thinking Penn, but do not recall completely) that have cancelled Fall sports are up close to 70%. I can only imagine if those kids turn to drugs, it could get real ugly.

one thing we do know

kids are not happy if they cant play

natalie used to tell me that there are goods kinds of play like

painting

drawing

dancing

hula hooping

skipping rocks

picking flowers

playing tag

hop scotch

festivals

and duck duck goose

then their are bad ways to play

football

boxing

mma

baseball

basketball

attend church

basically anything with a winner declared or someone could get hurt

so if they can get rid of the middle class

and at the same time force kids into their favorite ways to play

they will change america

----------------

shut your business down

get you on govt support of some type

take your guns

take away away your police

soften punishment for petty crimes

offer you free healthcare

tax billionaires (which means cut a deal with large corporations after they get all the small business owners on govt checks

She's a nut, no doubt, and fails to realize kids will make any activity competitive.

You dont think a kid knows his painting doesn't look as good or his rock didnt skip as many times?

Reactions: Tigerpaw00
I have a hard time with these stats too. What constitutes “seriously considered”? Where is the line of demarcation that gets you in the statistic verses out of it?

All that said, mental health is a tremendous problem in this country on a normal basis and it does not discriminate. I completely understand how numbers could spike between the doom and gloom of a pandemic and social upheaval alone. That is on top of an election year with very divisive candidates in uncertain social and political times. Pour all that on to people who have lost their jobs or a portion of their income, are uncertain about the children’s education or may be burdened with doing it themselves all the while being cooped up together and not being able to enjoy many social outlets (and couldn’t afford it even if they could) and I get it. I mean I really get it.

Edit: I get how the culmination of all of the above can have a negative effect on mental health. However, I do not understand taking your own life.

Last edited:
Reactions: fatpiggy
Those numbers seem extremely high to me. I’m sure the numbers have gone up but I’m dubious they are that high. And it wouldn’t be the first time the CDC got something wrong. That said, I truly believe that in an ideal world, if we could shut down social media sites for a few months (and yes I realize this message board is a form of social media) and possibly even news sites, people would be better off and realize that the world isn’t some awful place to be feared on a daily basis.......

Don't shoot the medium. Ignore the negative messengers.

People seem to voluntarily feast on negativity. Most measures of life in America show it to be significantly better than life in America in the past and better than life in most other parts of the world today. Yet a great number of people constantly emphasize the dark sides of life instead of appreciating the quality and quantity of the possibilities they have and the choices they could make as they live their lives.

There are plenty of positive social media sites that focus on the positives of life, that put people in touch with productive, happy and well adjusted others and illustrate the good in people. I don't think we need to turn off the media. We need to individually focus on the positive aspects of life. Doing so is a personal responsibility.

If you hate the American media, and many do, turn it off. Nothing says one has to listen to the radio, watch TV, or read constantly read negative press. If you run into negativity, don't become a carrier.

Ignore and don't consume social media messengers that are obviously negative, nasty, pessimistic and depressive. Tiger Illustrated would be a good place to adopt such an approach to social media. Cris Larry and Paul are almost never negative Nancys. Ignore the posters who love negativity.

Life is good. Don't waste it absorbed with those who are constantly focused on the negatives of life. As the old song said, "Accentuate the Positive."

NEWS HEADLINES

NBC- US surpasses grim record for single day death toll

ABC- CDC predicts up to 200,000 coronavirus deaths by Labor Day

CBS- CDC warns of worst fall ever if coronavirus guidelines are ignored

MSNBC- Pelosi states GOP refuses to face the gravity of coronavirus

CBS- Biden and Harris call for nationwide MANDATORY mask order

CNN- Experts warn children drive coronavirus like they drive colds

CNN- He thought covid19 was like the flu. Later, his organs fail.

CNN- Coronavirus cases in children jump as they prepare to go back to school

CNN- Georgia teen says school used students as guinea pigs

CNN- Bill Gates: I would not have exptected US would do so poorly handling coronavirus

CNN- Georgia teacher resigns over fear with back to school plan

only found 1 good article

CNN-College football player who contracted virus wants to play football

Last edited:
I can not imagine contemplating suicide although I know it is real....a lot of issues can put one in the mindset to think about it I am sure. I have known a few people that ended their life in this manner and although so real, it is still hard for me to fathom....
I will say I am a very optimistic person with my glass always half full.
I have always said if I am found some day and official report is suicide, I told my friends to investigate as something else happened...

Reactions: tallulahtiger30319

“Facebook sucks” ~ Elon Musk

Reactions: tigergrad03
NEWS HEADLINES

NBC- US surpasses grim record for single day death toll

ABC- CDC predicts up to 200,000 coronavirus deaths by Labor Day

CBS- CDC warns of worst fall ever if coronavirus guidelines are ignored

MSNBC- Pelosi states GOP refuses to face the gravity of coronavirus

CBS- Biden and Harris call for nationwide MANDATORY mask order

CNN- Experts warn children drive coronavirus like they drive colds

CNN- He thought covid19 was like the flu. Later, his organs fail.

CNN- Coronavirus cases in children jump as they prepare to go back to school

CNN- Georgia teen says school used students as guinea pigs

CNN- Bill Gates: I would not have exptected US would do so poorly handling coronavirus

CNN- Georgia teach resigns over fear with back to school plan

only found 1 good article

CNN-College football player who contracted virus wants to play football

The useful idiots will not see this for the bias that it is.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT