ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on Immigration

Rychek4

The Mariana Trench
Nov 13, 2015
"You can go to live in France, but you cannot become a Frenchman. You can go to live in Germany or Turkey or Japan, but you cannot become a German, a Turk, or Japanese. But anyone, from any corner of the Earth, can come to live in America and become an American.''

"You can go to live in France, but you cannot become a Frenchman. You can go to live in Germany or Turkey or Japan, but you cannot become a German, a Turk, or Japanese. But anyone, from any corner of the Earth, can come to live in America and become an American.''

Economists tend to support radically increasing immigration and I tend to agree with that. I think it should be a lot easier to immigrate to our country and that we should do some work to make it so that the people who are coming here illegally have less of a pressing need to leave their home countries (and bluntly, we all need to recognize that we deserve a lot of blame for the situation in Central America).

I think open borders in a situation where all countries had open borders might be great (economists think it would be an overwhelming positive). I would be reluctant to be the only country to implement such a policy, though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT