ADVERTISEMENT

****Tillman Hall

So someone smarter explain this. Because the Tillman family donated to have this name there is a different process before it can be removed correct?

BOT has requested that the state's General Assembly give authority to Clemson to restore the name "Old Main."

Some truly moving words and testimony from trustee Bob Peeler.

What was it called before "Old Main"? Surely it wasn't ALWAYS called that.

BOT has requested that the state's General Assembly give authority to Clemson to restore the name "Old Main."

Very good move by the BOT. On the flip side, I understand the carvings of Confederate generals on the side of Stone Mountain in Atlanta will be removed by the end of the year. While I have no issue and even support removing the confederate flag from government facilities, I think the dismantling of historical monuments is tragic and more representative of terrorist groups like ISIS. So many seem to be hung up on any and all reference to the Confederacy as constituting slavery and racism when, in fact, the War Between the States was started over economic trade restrictions placed upon the Southern States by the Union. Slavery did not even factor into the equation until two years into the fighting when President Lincoln, a shrewd Republican politician, recognized that declaring the emancipation of slaves would cause potential chaos in the South, to the military advantage of the Union. Sadly, the war is almost exclusively attributed to slavery now, especially by those less knowledgeable living outside the South. I for one had ancestors who fought for the Confederacy, none of whom owned slaves. I suspect that the vast majority of Confederate soldiers owned no slaves and were fighting instead to protect their homes and freedoms. I will forever be ashamed and detest the idea of slavery or racism of any kind. I have great friends two beautiful God children that are black that I love dearly. However, I will always chose to honor my ancestors who risked there lives, were seriously wounded, captured and survived horrible northern prisons for the land they loved.

giphy.gif

The curse wil come to us now from Ol’ Ben.

Cocks are thankful.

Trust me - Tillman would NEVER take his curse off of SC.

He absolutely hated that place. I mean a deep, pathological hatred. To the point of unhealthy.

Might as well be named Adolf

So we're gonna hate on people for something that's not their fault.

Interesting......

Wonder how much the University could do without the General Assembly's approval. Could they change the road signs to refer to it as "Old Main"? Stuff like that? Instruct University staff to refer to it as "Old Main" or "The main building"?

Even if they can't change the "official" name.

Very good move by the BOT. On the flip side, I understand the carvings of Confederate generals on the side of Stone Mountain in Atlanta will be removed by the end of the year. While I have no issue and even support removing the confederate flag from government facilities, I think the dismantling of historical monuments is tragic and more representative of terrorist groups like ISIS. So many seem to be hung up on any and all reference to the Confederacy as constituting slavery and racism when, in fact, the War Between the States was started over economic trade restrictions placed upon the Southern States by the Union. Slavery did not even factor into the equation until two years into the fighting when President Lincoln, a shrewd Republican politician, recognized that declaring the emancipation of slaves would cause potential chaos in the South, to the military advantage of the Union. Sadly, the war is almost exclusively attributed to slavery now, especially by those less knowledgeable living outside the South. I for one had ancestors who fought for the Confederacy, none of whom owned slaves. I suspect that the vast majority of Confederate soldiers owned no slaves and were fighting instead to protect their homes and freedoms. I will forever be ashamed and detest the idea of slavery or racism of any kind. I have great friends two beautiful God children that are black that I love dearly. However, I will always chose to honor my ancestors who risked there lives, were seriously wounded, captured and survived horrible northern prisons for the land they loved.

giphy.gif
This isn’t true... every state that left the union had an Articles of Secession and slavery is mentioned in each one. To say that it wasn’t even a factor in the equation until two years into the war is not correct.

This isn’t true... every state that left the union had an Articles of Secession and slavery is mentioned in each one. To say that it wasn’t even a factor in the equation until two years into the war is not correct.

It really wasn't why the North opposed secession though. They - including Lincoln - didn't much care.

Also - I believe the last US state to abolish slavery (practically speaking) was actually Delaware in December 1865. It was a slave state until well after the Civil war. Mississippi didn't actually ratify the 13th Ammendment until 2013 so they are technically the last one.

Emancipation Proclamation did not affect the Union states.

I was coming in to say this. Various other documents prove this as well. But people continue to die on that lie that can be easily proven to be a lie. It's weird.

giphy.gif
The history of stone mountain is steeped in despicable KKK led racism and the carving is less than 100 years old. Leaving it up would be more akin to ISIS building monuments and then arguing to leave them to avoid "rewriting history".

Props to Clemson for doing the right thing.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT