ADVERTISEMENT

TJ Green tweet...

Honest question. Do you think Dabo would be where he is now if not white?
Do you think Willie Taggart would be where he is (was) if not black?

And FTR, I agree with 99% of what your trying to sy about white privilege and that its a legitimate issue. However, it does work both ways in some elements of our society.

Reactions: Jwilliamsiii
This thread proves that this is not an easy discussion to have because quite honestly, when someone hears some kernel of the debate that they dont agree with, they think they have to disagree 100% with the other participants. That is why we havent made more progress than we have in this area IMO.

For example, I can beleive there are huge discrepancies in economic advantages comparatively just like white privilege. That doesnt mean that white privilege doesnt exist. Its just another element to the discussion. Example: If DW4 drives up in a BMW 760 with tinted windows at a convenience store and walks in at 2am, the clerk would be much more likely to watch him like a hawk than a white guy same age and dressed the same way. Same deal with a traffic stop by DW4 and said white guy. That has nothing to do with any economic differences. Its strictly racial and if you dont believe this happpens, you are overwhelmingly naiive.

meh.....I'm not close to white. Much closer to dark brown. White is what you see from a yankee/snow bird. I have definitely been given the benefit of the doubt in many circumstances someone else may not have been given. I also wasn't blessed with God given 4.4 speed or a 36" vertical. I don't have a "natural" 33" waist and good build, I have to work my butt off for that. One of my roommates in college hardly had to crack a book to make deans list...I had to study like it was my job. I also play guitar. I play with a group of musicians that have a God given ability that makes mine look below average. I have to practice quite a bit to be half as good. A lot of those guys hear it and play it. I have to hear it over and over and over and keep working on it. I do gripe on occasion that it isn't fair. lol. I go up against a lot of folks in business that have a higher, God given IQ than mine. I compete against some women in business that look like models...How do you compete against someone that looks like that? Not even close to fair
On the flip side, I was raised by two Godly parents that loved me very much. I deal with young men and women on a daily basis that never had that. They are at a considerable disadvantage. They never had a father to teach them how to look a person in the eye and shake hands, or how to stand up straight, how to sit, how to dress, or even model how to work. I was definitely privileged in that area.

I also won't have to teach my kids where to put their hands on the steering wheel if they get pulled for speeding, to let the officer know before they reach for a wallet. That's not even close to being right. So, I can't understand what its like to be in a black man's shoes, no more than they can understand what its like to be in mine. God created everyone of us in His image, crafted each of us with different gifts and skills.

One of my favorite scriptures is Ephesians 2:10. "For we are God's handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do."

I agree with everything you said except the part about being pulled over. I was taught and I have taught my 6 kids that when you are pulled over you roll all your windows down and put your hands on top of the wheel and try to make the officer as comfortable as possible. Do as the officer says and be respectful. I never feel comfortable being pulled over and I’m sure the cops aren’t comfortable either.

Reactions: Grady21
This is spot on. Was going to post about the same topic, how sentencing and the criminal justice / court system in general treats black people (all minorities to an extent) different & harsher than white people. This is a significant part of the systemic racism and oppression that is being fought here at this time.

- It's absolutely insane that for the same criminal charge (one that likely results in jail time), a black man gets a sentence that is on average 19% longer than a white man.

- In situations where sentences or charges can be reduced, for the same crime white men are far more likely to get their sentence reduced, and when they do get reductions, those reductions are far greater than the ones black men receive for the same crime.

- In law school, sadly one of the first things we learn, just by observing case law and statistics, is that two groups of people are screwed in our legal and prison systems...poor people and minorities (especially black people).

- It's a topic for another day, but if you really study the history of the "War on Drugs" and the various "3 strikes" laws that were put in place in the 80's, you'll see that those were not implemented for good reasons. The impact that both had on the black community was devastating. For 3 strikes, you have states where there are people still serving 50+ year sentences for getting 3 small-amount marijuana charges.

- As a white guy, I never once:
a) feared for my life when getting pulled over by the police for anything minor, or
b) walked down the street with a group of my friends, only to have people in front of us, or walking towards us, cross the street or duck into a store pretending to shop because they were scared of us based on our skin color, clothing, etc
If the statistics show that black people are treated more harshly than white people, it must be true. Therefore, when the statistics show that unarmed white people have a greater chance of being killed by a cop than unarmed black people, that must also be true. So what is everyone upset about then? The last thing black people should want is equal treatment, things would get worse for them.

Or we could just admit that there are lies, damn lies, and statistics. And then, we would realize that any study that tries to boil the complex judicial system down to an issue of black vs white, is inherently and completely ridiculous.

It seems most Asians and Latinos don’t complain about their lot; but just keep their down and grind/ aka work hard. Seems to work for them.

It’s definitely an economic issue.
I wonder how the cops know the bank account numbers and balances when they shoot people in the street? or when they conduct raids at the wrong address and kill people? is that about how much money you had to get out of crimes you committed?

Reactions: undertheradar
Honest question. Do you think Dabo would be where he is now if not white?
I’ll play

do you think Michael Jordan quo’s be successful if he was white? What about Lebrun James? Mike Tomlin? Lil Wayne? Jay Z?

my thoughts are you’re successful because of drive, determination, the willingness to never be satisfied.
Privilege is what you make it, you can pout and whine that life ain’t fair or you can make something of it. But you can’t keep repeating the same crap over and over and expect a different outcome. That’s where someone like Dabo or Jay Z separate themselves in my opinion.

Reactions: Pvilletigerfan
yeah, the internment camps were a real hoot from what i hear.
But did they bitch moan for 75 years, or make the most of their opportunity. Many blacks folks do take the advantage. Unfortunately the party on the left doesn’t like this. They want you to need them.

Do you think Willie Taggart would be where he is (was) if not black?

And FTR, I agree with 99% of what your trying to sy about white privilege and that its a legitimate issue. However, it does work both ways in some elements of our society.
Oooh Great Question! Again, I come with my personal views & perspective! I will begin by emphasizing in today’s multi-trillion college sports world, if you expect to succeed, you better be diversified; Recruiting!

Now, Mr. Taggart in 2012 no, do I think he was given a longer leash than most because of race; yes! 1900-1990 He would not have had the opportunity because of race & location; Sylvester Croom, Eddie Robinson, Willie Jeffries, Ty Willingham, Tony Dunge etc...

For the record, I cannot figure out why they & all the previous schools made this hire! Maybe A Great Agent!

I wonder how the cops know the bank account numbers and balances when they shoot people in the street? or when they conduct raids at the wrong address and kill people? is that about how much money you had to get out of crimes you committed?
You seem triggered. Take some deep breaths.

Those examples are all a result of the war on drugs which disproportionately affects poor people.

Reactions: IMBlessed
So
I’ll play

do you think Michael Jordan quo’s be successful if he was white? What about Lebrun James? Mike Tomlin? Lil Wayne? Jay Z?

my thoughts are you’re successful because of drive, determination, the willingness to never be satisfied.
Privilege is what you make it, you can pout and whine that life ain’t fair or you can make something of it. But you can’t keep repeating the same crap over and over and expect a different outcome. That’s where someone like Dabo or Jay Z separate themselves in my opinion.
Sounds Great, however, have you ever heard someone say they would not hire, promote someone because of their race? Well, I was such while on active duty! So what do you do, put your head down, be upset & try to find ways to move forward Or quit; because the system have you by the ! No doubt in my mind I would not have spent my last 12 years in the same pay grade! Everyone that makes it there are thousands who doesn’t & this is why we fight!

Reactions: petegroove
Ask Clarence Thomas. Of course the media despises minorities that dare be conservative. Once you leave that democratic plantation, you’re the enemy.
Yeah I hear you...but what about General Powell or Condolence Rice or Bob (BET) Johnson!

Or maybe it hurts when the “Media” points out that Clarence Thomas:
1. Use The Race Card during His Confirmation Hearing! Despicable!
2. Used Affirmative Action to open doors for himself & now despised the program!
3. Appointment has been political thus he has kept the party line as dictated by his Special Interest Lobbying Wife!

But you feel free to believe it is because He Is A Black Man! He is Not Conservative, read his writings, the man is political!

I agree with everything you said except the part about being pulled over. I was taught and I have taught my 6 kids that when you are pulled over you roll all your windows down and put your hands on top of the wheel and try to make the officer as comfortable as possible. Do as the officer says and be respectful. I never feel comfortable being pulled over and I’m sure the cops aren’t comfortable either.
I've gotten more than my fair share of tickets over the last 35 years. Never once did I feel like I was going to have anything happen other than getting a ticket. So I can see that as part of white privilege

It seems most Asians and Latinos don’t complain about their lot; but just keep their down and grind/ aka work hard. Seems to work for them.
Man every time I read one of your post, I want to give you the benefit of the doubt but you make if so hard!

For example; you could learn something from Univision! Many stories about Latinos & their issues. Many still pissed that Our President & the whole immigration thing! Or tune into Fox News as former Navy Jag now current Congressman Lau discuss Our President, or reaction from Asians irt Our President telling A Chinese American to go as China about the Corona Virus! So many more examples of Americans from various races & nationalities discussing their issues! Oh yeah, forgot, these Fine Americans just grind & aka work hard!

By the way, Some White Americans have issues too! Ask Our President, Rush, Shawn, Laura, Mark or just turn on Fox & the Five! Silly me these Fine Americans, Like You, just grind & aka work hard, Right!

First off - the "privilege" you describe is most unfortunately ALL to real. It is also prevalent. However, calling it "white privilege" is not an accurate description. It is more accurate to describe it as wealth and/or "connected" privilege with very few exceptions.

I've personally seen (and tried to help clear) dozens of cases where people were given harsher penalties as "examples" that were simply not from wealthy, connected families and one or more of the non-white defendants (proven guilty of the same or worse) were given far less harsh sentences.

The problems stem from wealth and privilege, not white privilege, but that story byline just doesn't sell as well

White privilege isn't the concept that white people all grow up rich and have easy lives. It's that far often when dealing with law enforcement, the judicial sentence, etc. They get the benefit of the doubt. White privilege is being labeled mischievous and boys being boys vs a thug. A lot of people on this board may say that Brock Turner should have gotten a lengthier sentence, but you know what he didn't.

https://www.ussc.gov/research/research-reports/demographic-differences-sentencing
https://www.prageru.com/video/how-to-end-white-privilege/

So

Sounds Great, however, have you ever heard someone say they would not hire, promote someone because of their race? Well, I was such while on active duty! So what do you do, put your head down, be upset & try to find ways to move forward Or quit; because the system have you by the ! No doubt in my mind I would not have spent my last 12 years in the same pay grade! Everyone that makes it there are thousands who doesn’t & this is why we fight!

You do realize it works both ways correct? I most definitely can relate to your exact story. I was told the exact same thing. I wasn’t hired buy a very good power company out of school because of race. There were multiple people letting me know and they said they were sorry.

I didn’t make my original post to make someone mad. I didn’t post it to act like things like you have dealt with doesn’t happen.

i made my post because it happens both ways.... it’s not just one sided.

I didn’t let that situation dictate my life or my future. I’m sure like you did

But if you think it doesn’t happen to other races

you’re blind

Reactions: Jwilliamsiii
Okay. Explain how that is ignorant. Maybe I am ignorant. You’re not providing an reason other than racism and not providing any solutions.
to classify all the shootings as 'a result of the war on drugs' is so short sighted. you dont think there might be an implicit bias in the system worth investigating. i dont have solutions, but i dont think we can figure out how to solve it if we dont even agree on what the issue is. i think all of the facts need to be investigated in these cases and laid out to determine implicit bias. i feel like it doesnt take a lot to say that we will look for and eliminate programs and policies that drive bias and racism.

to classify all the shootings as 'a result of the war on drugs' is so short sighted. you dont think there might be an implicit bias in the system worth investigating. i dont have solutions, but i dont think we can figure out how to solve it if we dont even agree on what the issue is. i think all of the facts need to be investigated in these cases and laid out to determine implicit bias. i feel like it doesnt take a lot to say that we will look for and eliminate programs and policies that drive bias and racism.
You’re looking at surface causes and calling me short sighted. Interdasting. What is at the root of many of the problems in the black community?

You’re looking at surface causes and calling me short sighted. Interdasting. What is at the root of many of the problems in the black community?
they were in the wrong place at the wrong time i guess

No
That had nothing to do with race, only results (on the field and in the athletic coffers)

He was fired cause he is a shitty football coach not because he is black....Lordy

Lol I’m not saying he was fired because he’s black. I was responding to the question about “where he is”. I will say this however... Can you tell me another scenario where a coach got fired after 1.5 seasons after taking over a program that had fallen off of a cliff BEFORE he got there?

Reactions: BHSRebels89
Yeah of course it does. Why can nobody have a conversation about this without being an asshole?
Isn't that part of white privilege though? It absolutely does not mean that there aren't certain white people who have had to overcome more obstacles than certain black people, which appears to be what many on here (and many I speak to in person) believe. However, even with all things being equal economically, there are still advantages that white people have over black people (fortunately there are a lot less nowadays than there used to be, but we still have a lot of room to improve). The term white privilege is also not an indictment on any single individual and isn't something anybody should feel guilty about in my opinion, but it is something that has to be acknowledged to try to move forward.

Isn't that part of white privilege though? It absolutely does not mean that there aren't certain white people who have had to overcome more obstacles than certain black people, which appears to be what many on here (and many I speak to in person) believe. However, even with all things being equal economically, there are still advantages that white people have over black people (fortunately there are a lot less nowadays than there used to be, but we still have a lot of room to improve). The term white privilege is also not an indictment on any single individual and isn't something anybody should feel guilty about in my opinion, but it is something that has to be acknowledged to try to move forward.

I am all for acknowledging our racist past and the fact that we aren't on a level playing field. But that doesn't get us anywhere right now. What does that change? I think a lot of people want some form of reparations or more affirmative action.
We need to eliminate the war on drugs. 70% of black on black crimes are drug related. Black homicides account for over 50% of all homicides in America despite making up only 13% of the population. Think about the implications of mass incarceration of people in the black community, from destruction of the family structure to unemployment and lack of educational opportunities.
The same issues affect poor people in white America.
These tactics have been used for years and years to divide poor people based on race. They always work.

Lol I’m not saying he was fired because he’s black. I was responding to the question about “where he is”. I will say this however... Can you tell me another scenario where a coach got fired after 1.5 seasons after taking over a program that had fallen off of a cliff BEFORE he got there?
No i cant but I think those guys realized they made a mistake hiring Willie like many of us thought when they hired him. I think you coudl say Chad Morris had a similar situation at Arky and rightly so. what did he get 2.5?

I am all for acknowledging our racist past and the fact that we aren't on a level playing field.

Then you acknowledge white privilege exists.

I actually agree with pretty much everything in your post. If you read up on the history of the police and the criminal justice system (which it sounds like you have), it has pretty much always been used to control marginalized populations. Originally, that was black people and European immigrants in the north. Now it is black people and poor people. There is a reason why an equal percentage of black and white people smoke pot, yet black people are way more likely to get arrested for it. Not too many cops stopping and frisking Wando or Bishop England students in Dunes West or I'on...

Reactions: IMBlessed
Then you acknowledge white privilege exists.

I actually agree with pretty much everything in your post. If you read up on the history of the police and the criminal justice system (which it sounds like you have), it has pretty much always been used to control marginalized populations. Originally, that was black people and European immigrants in the north. Now it is black people and poor people. There is a reason why an equal percentage of black and white people smoke pot, yet black people are way more likely to get arrested for it. Not too many cops stopping and frisking Wando or Bishop England students in Dunes West or I'on...
I acknowledge it exists. I’ve recognized that my whole life. I don’t think it has changed anything.

Reactions: undertheradar
I acknowledge it exists. I’ve recognized that my whole life. I don’t think it has changed anything.
Gotcha. Sorry for misinterpreting some of your earlier posts in this thread. Many on here, and many I speak to in real life, seem to not be able to acknowledge that white privilege exists because it offends them because they think it means they didn't work hard for what they have or overcome any obstacles in their own lives. By not acknowledging its existence they obviously can't help solve the problem.

ADVERTISEMENT