ADVERTISEMENT

Toss Sweeps and Deep Balls

SomethingInTheseHills

Gold Member
Mar 25, 2024
So this encompassed the gameplan today, huh?

I’m sure, like me, many of you wondered why we went with the toss sweeps so often, particularly given Georgia’s lateral quickness on defense. Furthermore, after one of those runs, we ran a play action off that toss sweep as if we were going to run the play a second straight time. That seems like one of those calls you make later in the game when the defense might be expecting the run.

I understood taking deep shots and thought we’d have to make plays downfield in order to win today, but Randall and Turner? Randall has made zero plays downfield and Turner hasn’t since the 2022 ACC title game. Also just felt like we forced the ball downfield too often. I seem to remember us having a 2nd and 3 and taking two deep shots in a row unsuccessfully. One of those was the ball to Randall where they waived off the PI.

I felt we should have come out running the ball north-south between the tackles and see how we do. Thought the OL played fine and actually did a good job opening some holes between the tackles.

I told folks that I thought we’d be significantly improved on offense this year even though it may not be apparent in game 1 given the opponent. Now I’m thinking it’s more of the same from last season until shown otherwise.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.