ADVERTISEMENT

*******TUESDAY BOWL PRACTICE NUGGETS

Larry_Williams

Senior Writer - Tigerillustrated.com
Staff
Oct 28, 2008
Basement

TUESDAY BOWL PRACTICE NUGGETS

Dabo just wrapped up his gathering with the media before today's practice. A few of the more notable items:

-- So Myles Murphy is the first bowl opt-out at Clemson in memory. Dabo supports Murphy and loves him, but it's pretty clear he advised Murphy to stay through the Orange Bowl.

"You can agree to disagree and still love each other, right? I just gave him my thoughts. It’s his decision, not my decision. High five him and love him up."

It's obvious that a big part of Swinney's pitch to Murphy and others is how many past Clemson players used stellar bowl performances as a springboard to higher draft status including Gaines Adams, C.J. Spiller, Da'Quan Bowers, Nuk Hopkins, Sammy Watkins, Vic Beasley and Stephone Anthony.

"It’s to each his own. At the end of the day you just want to know who’s ready to play and who’s all in. I don’t spend much time worrying about it."

More: "I think this is our first opt-out in 20 years. I haven’t had to do a lot of convincing. These guys are all out here. These are the experiences when it’s all said and done that they’ll cherish. But the culture is different. Things have changed. Society has changed. More guys are not playing for whatever reason."

-- Swinney said he's not going to steal Trenton Simpson's thunder on an announcement regarding whether he'll leave for the NFL, but signs certainly point in that direction.

Swinney said he was amazed Simpson came back in after reinjuring his ankle in the ACC title game. Said initially it appeared Simpson would have to undergo tightrope surgery.

-- Swinney said Wade Woodaz slides into the starting SAM spot with Simpson out.

-- Swinney said DJ Uiagalelei wanted to stay through the Orange Bowl, but he had no choice given the way the portal window is structured.

Swinney said he knew DJ was gone after this year one way or the other. His plan all along had been to go three-and-NFL.

"He didn’t want to leave. He really wanted to go pro and has come to the conclusion he needs another year.

"I knew he was going one way or the other. But he really wanted to finish. Really wanted to play and be there with his team. But the way the rules are set up it really doesn’t allow you to do that. Just kind of is what it is.

"I'm thankful for DJ, and love him and appreciate him. Graduated in three years. One of the greatest who’s come through here. One of the most respected leaders and players. Two-time ACC champion. Probably don’t win the ACC championship in 2020 without him. And definitely don’t get to Charlotte this year without him. He’s got a lot of great football ahead of him.
"Cade has had a front-row seat to see the good and the bad of what it’s like to be a QB at this level."

-- Davis Allen is not participating in today's practice. Carrying a yellow jersey.

-- Hunter Johnson is now the backup QB. They'll also get Trent Pearman more work.

"Glad Hunter came on board."

-- On Jeremiah Trotter making All-American:

"Tough sledding in the ACC. Can’t make all conference but he’s an All-American. I can’t figure that one out. Last five games or so, he was as good a player that was on the field."

-- Paul and I are on site at today's practice. We'll have plenty more through the day.

Clemson quarterback Cade Klubnik jerseys now in stock at The Tiger Fan Shop HERE!

11.jpg

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.