********Tuesday evening football nuggets

Larry_Williams

Senior Writer - Tigerillustrated.com
Staff
Oct 28, 2008
Basement

Tuesday evening football nuggets​

--------

Dabo just wrapped up a lengthy visit with the media after the team's second bowl practice.

Here are the most notable items:

*** Said these staff decisions “took 30 seconds.” Did not interview any external candidates.

Said he received a ton of interest from outside, “but this has been done for a while. Just a matter of when.”

Said Brent Venables wanted to take Wes Goodwin to Oklahoma, “but I wasn’t going to let that happen.”

"I’ve known for quite a while how special Wes was. He’s going to do a great job. Ain’t no doubt about it." Said he told Wes several years ago he was going to be the next DC. He's turned down several NFL jobs coaching LBs in recent years to stay in Clemson.

**** Said Wes will do great in recruiting. He’ll do just fine. He’s been a part of recruiting for a lot of years other than when he was in the NFL. He’s been a part of all of it. It’s relationships, just like anything else. Just like Tony was a lot different from Chad Morris, Wes is going to be different from Brent. But they’re both great.

**** There’s nobody more respected than Wes Goodwin. Nobody.

*** I love continuity. But I also love change and opportunity. This is fun.

**** Can’t tell you how many people were checking on me the last two weeks, like I was dying or something. This is a blast. Just like when Trevor left. He’s got to go, but I’m excited about that next challenge and that next opportunity. Trust me, we’re going to be just fine.

*** I asked him if BV tried to take Mike Reed and Todd Bates to Oklahoma, and he said he wasn’t going to get into any of his conversations with Venables. Said he went down the list with Venables and identified guys he was going to make it hard to get.

*** Said “we are what we are” right now on offense, but there’s a lot they’d like to add when they get their full arsenal in 2022.

**** Baylon Spector had surgery on his hand today. Out for the bowl game.

*** Hopefully we get a couple of bodies back for the bowl game. There’s “a chance” Joseph Ngata will come back. Got EJ Williams back. Troy Stellato in green. Good to get him back.

*** Haven’t had anybody opt out.

*** Tyler Venables is staying. Brent wants him to stay. Jake will also remain in an off-field role.

*** He was asked if any players considered going with Venables to Oklahoma. Said no.

**** On the doubters: All I can say is if people don’t believe in me after the last 13 years, they ain’t never going to believe in me. I’ve never worried about pleasing – I don’t even want to say the masses, the minority. We are the model program in college football.

***** On the past week: Honestly it's been one of the best weeks of my life. From being with C.J. Spiller when he was inducted into College Football Hall of Fame, then working with Brent for the last week before he took the Oklahoma job, helping him navigate what he was dealing with – so happy for him and his family. Nothing sad about it at all. It’s a blessing. BV turned down a lot of opportunities, so I’ve had a lot of time to plan. And then Tony Elliott, been with him for 19 years. Instantly connected with him in my first year coaching receivers in 2003. Tony called every play for seven years after I promoted him and nobody thought we’d ever get another first down. Tony, same as BV as far as being patient. I told Tony this is the one. Perfect fit for him and his family. Just so happy for those guys.

*** Probably the best part of today is the excitement within the team about the changes we’ve made.

***** Said Streeter is over-prepared for this opportunity. Turned down NFL coordinator job last year, in addition to multiple SEC coordinator jobs. Kyle Richardson has also turned down multiple jobs. He deserves it and he’s earned it. He’s so fired up. On Mickey Conn: Has done an amazing job with the safeties. On Mike Reed: First time in a long time we’ve had two all-conference corners at the same school. Giving him more of a leadership opportunity with special teams. On Todd Bates: Lost a lot with Tony Elliott, and Bates helps replace that with assistant head coach title. He’s got that gift and is definitely going to be a head coach one day. I have so much trust in him, with everything.

**** On the three recent decommits: Always some consequences for change. It’s all good. God never says oops. I truly am prayerful about who comes here. If this isn’t the right place for a young man, all you can do is wish them well. I’ve never worried about that. I just focus on who is here and do the best job I can with those guys.

***** Going to restructure with Thad Turnipseed moving on. Going to blow some things up and create some new opportunity for some peripheral people. Really excited about that.

**** Thanked Dan Radakovich. Said new football facility wouldn’t have been possible without guts from DRad to stand behind the idea. Said Graham Neff is special, and Dan has prepared him well.

****** First time I’ve been on the road since January of 2020. To be able to get out the last two weeks and go back in schools and homes, it was awesome. One mama said you probably like the Zoom better. I said, oh no. You don’t get to eat these grits through Zoom.

From THE TIGER FAN SHOP: Happy Holidays! More marked down officially-licensed Clemson apparel and gear! Visit The Tiger Fan Shop HERE!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News