ADVERTISEMENT

Uh, Markets getting crushed as Virus ramps up

last update

111,351 total cases worldwide
3,8882 deaths
62,661 recovered
38,829 active cases
5,979 in serious or critical condition

3,120 of the deaths have taken place in China out of 80,739 cases and 5,111 of the 5,979 in serious condition are in China.

The US has had 554 cases w/ 517 active. Just 22 deaths with 10 being in one hospice facility...coronavirus did not kill them. Their diagnosis did. Only 8 currently reported in serious condition.'

It is amazing in every election year, some sort of illness that cannot be cured pops up, media scares the shit out of everyone and then it fades away into the darkness.

From SARS, to swine, to ebola, to zika, to noravirus, to cornoavirus, etc etc.
Except stocks don’t care about if it’s political or not. Market has been kept up through fed policy and strong consumer markets. The virus has hurt consumer markets and we are stuck with fed reserve policy. They were cutting rates every time the market had any type of downward correct.

If the market is strong we don’t need low fed rates... people need to take their medication. A couple years of red will be good long term.

Reactions: gotigers24
This assuming all COVID cases are reported...many have gotten it, did not know it, weren't tested and got better. Also, there are cases currently that aren't "official" because the CDC has to confirm cases which takes 24-48 hours. MUSC is suggesting if you feel sick, stay home and are providing free coronavirus telehealth screenings.

The death rates are very skewed right now...They are using these percentages because they make this sound worse than it is. Media wants ratings, scare tactics scare...

you also don’t know how many people in the icu have died with fever of unknown origin and hypoxic respiratory failure who had COVID and never got tested.

It’s also quite presumptive of you to say all those people died of their underlying cause when you don’t even know their underlying medical condition. Those people were in a nursing home, not hospice or palliative care

In terms of human life, that’s quite substantial. You also don’t know whether or not that 1.4% is certain - could be much higher.
No they actually came out and said it’s 1.4...reports where higher and they wanted to make sure people had the correct information. Again it’s all a fear factor spun by a media with an agenda.

Reactions: SaltyMeatBallsOO
I'll addd, the last update is showing just 77 new deaths world wide which I believe is a 24 hour period in China and current day reports everywhere else.

Except stocks don’t care about if it’s political or not. Market has been kept up through fed policy and strong consumer markets. The virus has hurt consumer markets and we are stuck with fed reserve policy. They were cutting rates every time the market had any type of downward correct.

If the market is strong we don’t need low fed rates... people need to take their medication. A couple years of red will be good long term.

Of course there will be economic recourse as we do so much business with China...

you also don’t know how many people in the icu have died with fever of unknown origin and hypoxic respiratory failure who had COVID and never got tested.

It’s also quite presumptive of you to say all those people died of their underlying cause when you don’t even know their underlying medical condition. Those people were in a nursing home, not hospice or palliative care

@Smiling_Tiger stated this:

"In Kirkland? I live about a mile from that home. It’s worth noting that that particular facility is a hospice home. People move there to die. They were about as vulnerable as you can get. One of my friends is Kirkland FD and he laughs at the way people are overreacting"

"I’m....what? It’s a mile from my house. The nearest hospital is Evergreen which is literally across the street. It’s where my son was born. And that wing is hospice."

So if that is a hospice wing it means those people have agreed to not be treated for their diagnosis any longer. Typically if they are in a facility and on hospice their average days to live is under 10. In most places 6-8...Smiling said at this facility it is around 14 day average in that wing.

So...I am not going to sit here and pretend it was the coronavirus that took them out. I spend too much time around hospice and even skilled facilities to be that naive.

You’re right - why then should we care about finding cures for specific types of cancer, investigating better ways to reduce mortality among patients with myocardial infarction, develop better antibiotics to combat infection with uncommon microbes ?
In and of themselves , deaths from these particular etiologies are not high on a daily sense. Screw it, let’s stop investing money in these things and let people die. World is overpopulated anyway.
115 people die of breast cancer per day - don’t know why the media even bothers talking about breast cancer on TV. Hell, there’s even a breast cancer awareness month, and sports teams even wear pink ! The audacity
And here I thought you were an educated man. Does a breast cancer "outbreak" cause hand sanitizer shortages world wide? Does it shut down schools? Does it require quarantine? Or how about cause the market to crash and cause widespread panic?

I said nothing about finding a cure.

Come on now...it’s been proven that the elderly who have died from the virus had underlying medical conditions that actually led to their dead. The fact is, the average person will recover!

I'll addd, the last update is showing just 77 new deaths world wide which I believe is a 24 hour period in China and current day reports everywhere else.

Of course there will be economic recourse as we do so much business with China...

@Smiling_Tiger stated this:

"In Kirkland? I live about a mile from that home. It’s worth noting that that particular facility is a hospice home. People move there to die. They were about as vulnerable as you can get. One of my friends is Kirkland FD and he laughs at the way people are overreacting"

"I’m....what? It’s a mile from my house. The nearest hospital is Evergreen which is literally across the street. It’s where my son was born. And that wing is hospice."

So if that is a hospice wing it means those people have agreed to not be treated for their diagnosis any longer. Typically if they are in a facility and on hospice their average days to live is under 10. In most places 6-8...Smiling said at this facility it is around 14 day average in that wing.

So...I am not going to sit here and pretend it was the coronavirus that took them out. I spend too much time around hospice and even skilled facilities to be that naive.

I know what a hospice is. I refer people to hospice.

The deaths in Washington state weren’t hospice. They were nursing home

Come on now...it’s been proven that the elderly who have died from the virus had underlying medical conditions that actually led to their dead. The fact is, the average person will recover!

Oh yeah? What were those medical conditions. Enlighten me since you seem to know.

And I guess everyone else who has died worldwide were hospice too. Smh

And here I thought you were an educated man. Does a breast cancer "outbreak" cause hand sanitizer shortages world wide? Does it shut down schools? Does it require quarantine? Or how about cause the market to crash and cause widespread panic?

I said nothing about finding a cure.

the fact that it is an infectious disease that is transmissible makes it more pressing than breast cancer

I know what a hospice is. I refer people to hospice.

The deaths in Washington state weren’t hospice. They were nursing home

So you're telling me you know more about that facility than Smiling who lives a mile away? And that the 10 people that died were not on the hospice wing? If you refer hospice I am sure you know that a lot of people in assisted living and skilled are hospice patients.

And regardless...even in skilled, it is not shocking that they would die fro flu, pneumonia, coronavirus, or any other virus or illness that attacks the immune system.

Reactions: Orange&Purple
Oh yeah? What were those medical conditions. Enlighten me since you seem to know.

I can’t help you bro, you choose to believe what you want. Have a good day and Go Tigers!

So you're telling me you know more about that facility than Smiling who lives a mile away? And that the 10 people that died were not on the hospice wing? If you refer hospice I am sure you know that a lot of people in assisted living and skilled are hospice patients.

And regardless...even in skilled, it is not shocking that they would die fro flu, pneumonia, coronavirus, or any other virus or illness that attacks the immune system.

I’m a physician so yes I refer people to hospice.
Also, Coronavirus can give you pneumonia...That’s how a lot of people have died from corona.

I looked up the place where people died - it’s a nursing home.
Regardless, all the people who died worldwide didn’t die from corona ? Deaths have been among people in hospice only?

It’s nice to see some of the air getting pulled out of this overly inflated market. It is hilarious watching Wall Street experts explain why “greatest market of all times” can’t handle any negative news.

Gold seems to be doing just fine. I hope everyone positioned their retirement accounts when we were at highs. I know I’m feeling a lot better with my end of 2019 moves.

Make sure you tell us when to get back in.

I can’t help you bro, you choose to believe what you want. Have a good day and Go Tigers!

I’m actually curious since you said it has been proven. Please share with me what their underlying condition was that killed them. If it’s been proven, you should know what it is. Perhaps I missed it , but I genuinely want to know

No but you and I both know that counting people on hospice or even people incredibly old, in skilled facilities and in bad health towards the "number of deaths" is a bit much.

Also, people in very poor areas of the world that do not have access to good medical care or preventative measures. You have to take a lot more into account than just the reported "death rates" with these types of diseases. Not all areas have access to things like the US. I mean, you think people in the shithole areas of Iran have access to staying home and utilizing telehealth to get screened for coronavirus?

No country outside of China has even 10k cases or even 400 deaths...but yes let's freak out

Reactions: Conando
It’s a problem because of how quickly it has spread, the death rate is higher than a normal virus, and there is no known cure/immediate health steps to stop it.

Yes, there is some sensationalism in the sense that death tolls are a way higher percentage in the older and younger population along with those with auto immune deficiencies. That is true and it’s not highly reported. But this isn’t just a normal virus.

Also, the we needed this for overpopulation is a hell of a take. If it was one of your family members that dies from this can we say it was beneficial for the world? Would that be ok?

Didn't read your entire post, but just to clarify to prevent misinformation: the virus is NOT killing the young. Not a single child under the age of 10 has died.

The virus kills the old primarily.

I’m a physician so yes I refer people to hospice.
Also, Coronavirus can give you pneumonia...That’s how a lot of people have died from corona.

I looked up the place where people died - it’s a nursing home.
Regardless, all the people who died worldwide didn’t die from corona ? Deaths have been among people in hospice only?

Yes...if you read the quote above and the thread, @Smiling_Tiger stated it was a Health and Rehab facility but the 10 people who died, were on the hospice wing and that wing had an average of 14 day stay time. So it is essentially a hospice within a skilled facility which is not uncommon in todays long term care as I know you understand

No but you and I both know that counting people on hospice or even people incredibly old, in skilled facilities and in bad health towards the "number of deaths" is a bit much.

Also, people in very poor areas of the world that do not have access to good medical care or preventative measures. You have to take a lot more into account than just the reported "death rates" with these types of diseases. Not all areas have access to things like the US. I mean, you think people in the shithole areas of Iran have access to staying home and utilizing telehealth to get screened for coronavirus?

No country outside of China has even 10k cases or even 400 deaths...but yes let's freak out

Italy isn’t poor. Their life expectancy is longer than seen in the United States ....yet all of northern Italy is essentially shut down. I’m actually chuckling at you telling me that I should take more into account than death rates. I do this for a living.

If it isn’t a big deal and only those acutely Ill from underlying conditions die, why are cpac attendees self quarantined, including members of Congress ? Why did the president travel to the CDC?

Didn't read your entire post, but just to clarify to prevent misinformation: the virus is NOT killing the young. Not a single child under the age of 10 has died.

The virus kills the old primarily.

Last I saw the cure rate for individuals under 50 was 99.7% but that was last week.

It’s a problem because of how quickly it has spread, the death rate is higher than a normal virus, and there is no known cure/immediate health steps to stop it.

Yes, there is some sensationalism in the sense that death tolls are a way higher percentage in the older and younger population along with those with auto immune deficiencies. That is true and it’s not highly reported. But this isn’t just a normal virus.

Also, the we needed this for overpopulation is a hell of a take. If it was one of your family members that dies from this can we say it was beneficial for the world? Would that be ok?
I knew that was coming. I thank God for every day that I have on this Earth, with my family and friends. Whatever happens, happens, and I'm OK with it.

Italy isn’t poor. Their life expectancy is longer than seen in the United States ....yet all of northern Italy is essentially shut down. I’m actually chuckling at you telling me that I should take more into account than death rates. I do this for a living.

If it isn’t a big deal and only those acutely I’ll from underlying conditions die, why are cpac attendees self quarantined, including members of Congress ? Why did the president travel to the CDC?

I understand you do this for a living...while not a doctor, I live in this world full time too on multiple levels. So just like you, my days have been spent having to learn, educate, discuss, plan, etc for this. I have talked with physicians, PA, RN's, infectious disease folks, hospice folks, skilled facility folks, while having to deal with shortages on mask, sanitizer, isolation products, thermometer and whatever hell is new today

I am not pretending to be smarter than you on medicine but I also watch the numbers and the spread is not like the media is making it. The contagious rate is right around that of the flu...healthy people are recovering from this. That is just a fact....The US currently only has 8 cases reported as in serious condition according to the CDC...

And I can't answer why people are quarantining themselves...seems a little extreme to me. The POTUS said he did not go to CDC so that they could continue there work. He signed the bill and instead went to Nashville...

That decision did not make me, in any way, think he was scared to go to the CDC

the fact that it is an infectious disease that is transmissible makes it more pressing than breast cancer
Really? Your body will kill off a virus all on its own the vast majority of the time. I would say cancer is far more pressing.

You obviously don't care, but your reputation is really taking a hit with these poor takes.

what was the sample size ?

I'd have to go back and dig up the article from my e-mail. It was one our wound nurse sent out with some facts...I just know she would not have sent had it not been a reputable source having worked with her for a decade now

Really? Your body will kill off a virus all on its own the vast majority of the time. I would say cancer is far more pressing.

You obviously don't care, but your reputation is really taking a hit with these poor takes.

I genuinely laughed out loud at this post

I'd have to go back and dig up the article from my e-mail. It was one our wound nurse sent out with some facts...I just know she would not have sent had it not been a reputable source having worked with her for a decade now

I’d like to know the original source

I’d like to know the original source

I'll try and dig it up when I pull out my work computer and pull up outlook. I searched from iphone but the search feature for mail on those phones are a pain in the ass especially when there are a lot of replies...or maybe I am just technologically challenged and havent figured out an easy way

I understand you do this for a living...while not a doctor, I live in this world full time too on multiple levels. So just like you, my days have been spent having to learn, educate, discuss, plan, etc for this. I have talked with physicians, PA, RN's, infectious disease folks, hospice folks, skilled facility folks, while having to deal with shortages on mask, sanitizer, isolation products, thermometer and whatever hell is new today

I am not pretending to be smarter than you on medicine but I also watch the numbers and the spread is not like the media is making it. The contagious rate is right around that of the flu...healthy people are recovering from this. That is just a fact....The US currently only has 8 cases reported as in serious condition according to the CDC...

And I can't answer why people are quarantining themselves...seems a little extreme to me. The POTUS said he did not go to CDC so that they could continue there work. He signed the bill and instead went to Nashville...

That decision did not make me, in any way, think he was scared to go to the CDC

From NPR:

That's when Trump revealed a different explanation for the scheduling snafus.

Trump said a CDC employee had showed symptoms of the virus. The White House learned about the suspected case on Thursday.

"They had one person who was potentially infected," Trump told reporters. The staffer was tested, then cleared. "It turned out negative, so we'll see if we can do it," he said of the visit.

"We're going to try to go," he told reporters before leaving for Nashville. "I may be going, we're going to see if we can turn it around."

president himself said the symptoms of a cdc employee played a role in his visit. So which is it?

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/06/812825943/trump-signs-coronavirus-funding-bill-cancels-trip-to-cdc

Reactions: nmerritt11
From NPR:

That's when Trump revealed a different explanation for the scheduling snafus.

Trump said a CDC employee had showed symptoms of the virus. The White House learned about the suspected case on Thursday.

"They had one person who was potentially infected," Trump told reporters. The staffer was tested, then cleared. "It turned out negative, so we'll see if we can do it," he said of the visit.

"We're going to try to go," he told reporters before leaving for Nashville. "I may be going, we're going to see if we can turn it around."

president himself said the symptoms of a cdc employee played a role in his visit. So which is it?

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/06/812825943/trump-signs-coronavirus-funding-bill-cancels-trip-to-cdc

No clue and honestly do not care...no different from the flu...if a family member has symptoms I am not going to go visit. As a doc you would advise the same. Again, it was not a big deal to me that he did not go. Literally saw a tweet that stated what I said above.

It’s the fear factor! The media and others are pushing this thing and making people feel it’s the end of the world, stay home, run and hide, blah, blah, blah. Where is all the outcry from the Flu? It’s killed more people this year than the coronavirus!! But you see, the flu isn’t new and it doesn’t push this media agenda and fear mongering...R E L A X!
I just don’t understand why people keep saying this when every global market is getting crushed and every health agency is putting out warnings. Will it take you personally getting infected to believe we have a problem?

No clue and honestly do not care...no different from the flu...if a family member has symptoms I am not going to go visit. As a doc you would advise the same. Again, it was not a big deal to me that he did not go. Literally saw a tweet that stated what I said above.

You said that the president wasn’t scared of the coronavirus but then he changed his visit to the cdc based on someone displaying symptoms...

I would not give the same advice to someone with the flu as I would with coronavirus. If your physician would , you should see someone else

You said that the president wasn’t scared of the coronavirus but then he changed his visit to the cdc based on someone displaying symptoms...

I would not give the same advice to someone with the flu as I would with coronavirus. If your physician would , you should see someone else

Not what I said...I stated that if a family member had flu symptoms I would not go visit....same with cornovirus symptoms or anything else contagious and I think physicians would recommend to their patients the same precaution

Reactions: SaltyMeatBallsOO
I just don’t understand why people keep saying this when every global market is getting crushed and every health agency is putting out warnings. Will it take you personally getting infected to believe we have a problem?

If I get infected with the flu or coronavirus, I will get treated and likely be back healthy within a week and move on with my life. Because I am a 39 year old healthy adult

Reactions: jmm45 and fatpiggy
Not what I said...I stated that if a family member had flu symptoms I would not go visit....same with cornovirus symptoms or anything else contagious and I think physicians would recommend to their patients the same precaution

thats not the approach our institution is taking for those infected with coronavirus

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT