Woodrush
Gold Member
Dec 21, 2001
Analysis.

In Ukraine, “There’s Something Happening There”​

By Larry Johnson
Published January 12, 2023 at 7:00am

image-18.png

The sixties band, Buffalo Springfield, had a hit song that I think captures the dramatic developments in Ukraine and Russia over the last 36 hours — “There’s Something Happening Here:”
The collapse of Ukrainian resistance in Soledar was confirmed even by some of the staunchest supporters of Ukraine, which means that Bakhmut is expected to fall under Russian control in the next few days. Russian forces are moving from the South, the North and the East and are creating a potential cauldron that will leave Ukrainian soldiers in Bakhmut surrounded.
Remember my last article? I credited CNN with getting something right. Well, you can relax, CNN is back to pushing propaganda and failing to understand what is going on:
TRENDING: HISTORY IN THE MAKING: The State of New California Holds Its 10th Constitutional Convention
Russia’s Defense Ministry announced yet another realignment of the commanders leading the war in Ukraine on Wednesday, as criticism mounts over its handling of the stalled campaign.
It said that General Valery Gerasimov, chief of the Russian General Staff, would become the overall commander of the campaign, with the current commander, Sergey Surovikin, becoming one of his three deputies. . . .
Mark Galeotti, senior associate fellow with the Royal United Services Institute, said “it is a kind of demotion [for Gerasimov] or at least the most poisoned of chalices. It’s now on him, and I suspect Putin has unrealistic expectations again.”
Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Yes, Chief of General Staff General of the Army Valery Gerasimov was named the commander of the Joint Group of Forces and Sergei Surovikin named Commander-in-Chief of Aerospace Forces General of the Army. This was not a command shake up because of unhappiness with Surovikin’s performance over the last three months. Just the opposite — I believe it signals that Russia is setting the table for a major escalation in its operations to eliminate the Ukrainian military threat.
Letting Surovikin focus on the “Aerospace Forces” means that Russian air and space operations are likely to kick into overdrive. Until now, the Russian Air Force has played a minimal role in the battles during the last 11 months. Putting Gerasimov in charge of the Joint Group of Forces is a clear signal that the command task going forward is going to be more complex and comprehensive. Cue Bachman Turner Overdrive, You Ain’t Seen Nothing Yet:

Let me give you a couple more relevant pieces of intel. Let us start with a large movement by the Russian Navy in the Black Sea:
This morning Russian Navy ships and submarines left their base at Novorossiysk, in the Black Sea, en-masse. This is highly unusual and may indicate ongoing operations.
Sources seen by Naval News confirm the exodus. The group included the Project 11711 Ivan Gren class landing ship, Pyotr Morgunov, the largest amphibious ship in the Black Sea.
It also contained all three Project 636.3 Improved-Kilo class submarines which were present at the base. Analysis suggests that other warships were also sailing, leaving only a few warships and support vessels in the port. It is likely the most empty that Novorossiysk has been in many months.
At the same time, Russia is continuing to build up its military forces in Belarus:
Personnel, weapons, military and special equipment of the Russian armed forces will continue to arrive in Belarus.
Over the weekend, the Belarussian Ministry of Defense announced that a significant tactical flight exercise between Belarussian and Russian forces would take place from late January to early February. The Russian military has deployed more than a dozen helicopters in Belarus, including Mi-8 transport and Mi-24 and Ka-52 Alligator attack helicopters. According to the British Military Intelligence, some of the helicopters sport the “Z” war marking that Russian forces are using on the ground in Ukraine.
“The new deployment of Russian aircraft to Belarus is likely a genuine exercise, rather than a preparation for any additional offensive operations against Ukraine,” the British Military Intelligence assessed in its latest estimate of the war.
One more thing –Where are the Chechens? If you followed the battle of Mariupol in May the social media channels were filled with video of the bearded Russian muslims shouting Allahu Akbar as they crushed the Ukrainian Azov battalion. Now, nothing. They are out there somewhere in substantial numbers but have not yet been operationally deployed in force. Are they gearing up for a new offensive?
Put yourself in the shoes of the Ukrainian General Staff. On the eastern front your soldiers are being slaughtered and losing critical territory to Russia. The Bakhmut/Soledar line of defense has been breached. You need to reinforce the Kramatorsk/Slovyanksa line but there are limited numbers of trained troops.
At the same time, you have to wonder if the Russians are going to launch an amphibious/aerial assault on Odessa. Do you have enough forces or available reinforcements to fortify and defend Odessa. Then there is the build up in Belarus. Belarus and Russia have assembled enough ground and air forces to pose a credible threat to Kiev.
Where will Russia strike? That is why Gerasimov has assumed overall command of these Joint Forces. He could use feints by forces in the North and South to pin down Ukrainian troops and launch a major attack from the East. Or he could order full attacks from the North, South and East. He has other options as well.
The West and Ukraine claim that Russia cannot mount a credible offensive operation until Spring. I don’t know if the West is putting that message out as part of a propaganda campaign to convince Russia that Ukraine is not prepared for a Winter offensive or if they genuinely believe that. The only thing I know for certain is that Russia, like a World Champion Poker Player, is hiding its cards and only showing Ukraine what it wants them to see. Is Russia going to go all in or will it continue grinding?

Reactions: tigerragman
Surprised this guy was able to publicly state this honestly. Content not a surprise.

Navy Secretary Carlos Del Toro triggered outrage from Biden groupies on Wednesday by admitting a little-known fact about the administration’s military readiness.

The little-known fact was that the Biden administration is shipping so many weapons to Ukraine that it may soon not have enough weapons left to arm its own military units.

Del Toro made the admission when, while speaking at the Surface Navy Association conference in Arlington, Virginia, he was asked by a reporter for his thoughts on something Adm. Daryl Caudle, the commander of U.S. Fleet Forces Command, had said earlier during the same conference, according to Defense One.

The reporter specifically noted that Caudle was worried that “the Navy might get to the point where it has to make the decision whether it needs to arm itself or arm Ukraine.”

Based on this, the reporter then asked, “Has the Navy gotten to that point yet?”

Del Toro replied by warning that if things continue the way they have been, the U.S. may reach that point within as little as six months.

“With regards to deliveries of weapons systems for the fight in Ukraine, yeah, that’s always a concern for us. And we monitor that very, very closely. I wouldn’t say we’re quite there yet, but if the conflict does go on for another six months, for another year, it certainly continues to stress the supply chain in ways that are challenging,” he said.

• Haha
Reactions: DW4_2016
An example of the exceptional fast training mentioned by @LaniKaiTiger

It was a KH-22 missile. I'll say it again, Ukrainian troops aren't going to be at Fort Sill for 2 years learning how to use a Patriot system. Biden has zero intention of broadening the conflict beyond Ukraine. He doesn't have the balls for it. This cloak and dagger conspiracy shit is a fantasy.

Analysis.

In Ukraine, “There’s Something Happening There”​

By Larry Johnson
Published January 12, 2023 at 7:00am

image-18.png

The sixties band, Buffalo Springfield, had a hit song that I think captures the dramatic developments in Ukraine and Russia over the last 36 hours — “There’s Something Happening Here:”
The collapse of Ukrainian resistance in Soledar was confirmed even by some of the staunchest supporters of Ukraine, which means that Bakhmut is expected to fall under Russian control in the next few days. Russian forces are moving from the South, the North and the East and are creating a potential cauldron that will leave Ukrainian soldiers in Bakhmut surrounded.
Remember my last article? I credited CNN with getting something right. Well, you can relax, CNN is back to pushing propaganda and failing to understand what is going on:
TRENDING: HISTORY IN THE MAKING: The State of New California Holds Its 10th Constitutional Convention

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Yes, Chief of General Staff General of the Army Valery Gerasimov was named the commander of the Joint Group of Forces and Sergei Surovikin named Commander-in-Chief of Aerospace Forces General of the Army. This was not a command shake up because of unhappiness with Surovikin’s performance over the last three months. Just the opposite — I believe it signals that Russia is setting the table for a major escalation in its operations to eliminate the Ukrainian military threat.
Letting Surovikin focus on the “Aerospace Forces” means that Russian air and space operations are likely to kick into overdrive. Until now, the Russian Air Force has played a minimal role in the battles during the last 11 months. Putting Gerasimov in charge of the Joint Group of Forces is a clear signal that the command task going forward is going to be more complex and comprehensive. Cue Bachman Turner Overdrive, You Ain’t Seen Nothing Yet:

Let me give you a couple more relevant pieces of intel. Let us start with a large movement by the Russian Navy in the Black Sea:

At the same time, Russia is continuing to build up its military forces in Belarus:

One more thing –Where are the Chechens? If you followed the battle of Mariupol in May the social media channels were filled with video of the bearded Russian muslims shouting Allahu Akbar as they crushed the Ukrainian Azov battalion. Now, nothing. They are out there somewhere in substantial numbers but have not yet been operationally deployed in force. Are they gearing up for a new offensive?
Put yourself in the shoes of the Ukrainian General Staff. On the eastern front your soldiers are being slaughtered and losing critical territory to Russia. The Bakhmut/Soledar line of defense has been breached. You need to reinforce the Kramatorsk/Slovyanksa line but there are limited numbers of trained troops.
At the same time, you have to wonder if the Russians are going to launch an amphibious/aerial assault on Odessa. Do you have enough forces or available reinforcements to fortify and defend Odessa. Then there is the build up in Belarus. Belarus and Russia have assembled enough ground and air forces to pose a credible threat to Kiev.
Where will Russia strike? That is why Gerasimov has assumed overall command of these Joint Forces. He could use feints by forces in the North and South to pin down Ukrainian troops and launch a major attack from the East. Or he could order full attacks from the North, South and East. He has other options as well.
The West and Ukraine claim that Russia cannot mount a credible offensive operation until Spring. I don’t know if the West is putting that message out as part of a propaganda campaign to convince Russia that Ukraine is not prepared for a Winter offensive or if they genuinely believe that. The only thing I know for certain is that Russia, like a World Champion Poker Player, is hiding its cards and only showing Ukraine what it wants them to see. Is Russia going to go all in or will it continue grinding?

I just cannot - for the life of me - understand why the republican right is so anti Ukraine and pro Russia. Is because Russia has claimed that Ukrainian leadership is made up of jewish nazi gay demons?

If Russia wins this war, it is bad for us. They will keep going. And we will have to fight if they attack one of our nato allies, We should all be rooting for Ukraine. At least all true patriots should.

But for people like you, who worship trump over God and country, I guess that is more important. Ukraine got trump in trouble, so we must hate them now.

I just cannot - for the life of me - understand why the republican right is so anti Ukraine and pro Russia. Is because Russia has claimed that Ukrainian leadership is made up of jewish nazi gay demons?

If Russia wins this war, it is bad for us. They will keep going. And we will have to fight if they attack one of our nato allies, We should all be rooting for Ukraine. At least all true patriots should.

But for people like you, who worship trump over God and country, I guess that is more important. Ukraine got trump in trouble, so we must hate them now.
I am not in favor of US involvement in Ukraine. It's that simple. Nothing to do with Trump. When Russia wins it is not bad for us other than the billions wasted. They will not advance into NATO territory.

I learned something that shocked me last night, not that it matters, but did you know the owner of the GWP is gay and is married to a Filipino kid?

I agree 100% with the rest of your statement.

jim-hoft_lucian-wintrichx750.jpg

It's nonsensical. You get the "I'm just against it" or "it's wasting billions" answers with no real thought other than a comparison to the border wall. As a Republican, it's incredibly frustrating dealing with the low IQ members of our party.

Don't agree on a lot, but do on this. There are plenty of solid reasons to help and root for Ukraine.

I learned something that shocked me last night, not that it matters, but did you know the owner of the GWP is gay and is married to a Filipino kid?

I agree 100% with the rest of your statement.

jim-hoft_lucian-wintrichx750.jpg

projection, again.

Reactions: dpic73
I am not in favor of US involvement in Ukraine. It's that simple. Nothing to do with Trump. When Russia wins it is not bad for us other than the billions wasted. They will not advance into NATO territory.
Good thing they won't win, no thanks to Biden not sharing the views of the Trump brigade

Good thing they won't win, no thanks to Biden not sharing the views of the Trump brigade
Putin looking for you bro.

Putin looking for you bro.

Must not have been a very good “spy” ship then. Putin should worry about his Botox and Parkinson’s. It will be a good day when he’s in the ground with the rest of the Russian despots to terrorize the world over the years

We know according to our local war lovers here that Zelensky and his leadership group are supposed to be noble patriot warriors for good. Wow this is bad and so easy to have predicted.

Zero Hedge reported:

The Ukrainian government on Tuesday confirmed the resignation of multiple high ranking officials amid large-scale corruption allegations, in what’s being called the biggest mass resignation and graft scandal since the Russian invasion began.
Some dozen officials have quit their posts after a huge political shake-up over allegations and probes into cases ranging from bribery, to mismanagement of aid funds for purchasing food, to embezzlement, to driving expensive cars while common people suffer under wartime conditions.
A top presidential adviser and four deputy ministers – among these two defense officials, along with five regional governors were forced out of their posts. And among the regional governors to step down included officials overseeing regions which have seen intense fighting, including the Zaporizhzhia and Kherson regions, where Russian forces have lately reported gains.
In reference to the announcement by a senior government official, Oleg Nemchinov, international reports detail the following list:
  • Deputy Prosecutor General Oleskiy Symonenko
  • Deputy Minister for Development of Communities and Territories Ivan Lukeryu
  • Deputy Minister for Development of Communities and Territories Vyacheslav Negoda
  • Deputy Minister for Social Policy Vitaliy Muzychenk
  • And the regional governors of Dnipropetrovsk, Zaporizhzhia, Kyiv, Sumy and Kherson
And separately, “the defense ministry had earlier announced the resignation of deputy minister Vyacheslav Shapovalov, who was in charge of the army’s logistical support, on the heels of accusations it was signing food contracts at inflated prices.”
In this case regarding the food contracts, Shapovalov is accused of signing a deal with an unknown, shady firm. In his role as deputy defense minister, his is the most notable and visible resignation. Crucially he would have had no small part in overseeing the billions of dollars flowing from the pockets of US and European taxpayers as authorized defense aid.

Appeasement = No bueno

I tend to agree with the suggestion by Henry Kissinger. Let's admit Ukraine to NATO and call Russia's bluff. There is no way in the world they're going to want to tangle with NATO. That will end this conflict one way or the other. But like all big decisions in foreign policy it comes with risk.

I tend to agree with the suggestion by Henry Kissinger. Let's admit Ukraine to NATO and call Russia's bluff. There is no way in the world they're going to want to tangle with NATO. That will end this conflict one way or the other. But like all big decisions in foreign policy it comes with risk.
I don’t think Biden isn’t willing to fight a war in that scenario, but I’ve mused that the US and Poland should keep a force on the Polish border with Belarus to ward off another assault on Kyiv.

The assessment of Biden’s administration seems to be that: A. The situation doesn’t get resolved in our favor without a decisive Russian defeat. B. That can be achieved by sending Ukraine sufficient aid. C. The cost is worth it. I don’t disagree

Reactions: fcctiger12
Bullshit... Total Bullshit. Trump likes Putin and therefore you do too. You are just reaching for any reason to not say "I blindly follow Trump."

I've no love for Ukraine. They are NOT our friends. But Russia is an enemy country. You can tell b/c we have nuclear weapons pointed at each other. This war with Ukraine is bleeding Russia white and that's good for America and bad for Russia.

There's no downside for America in this. If Russia wins tomorrow, this was was a political and financial disaster for them. If they lose, it's even worse, and Putin's days would probably be numbered at that point.

I don’t think Biden isn’t willing to fight a war in that scenario, but I’ve mused that the US and Poland should keep a force on the Polish border with Belarus to ward off another assault on Kyiv.

The assessment of Biden’s administration seems to be that: A. The situation doesn’t get resolved in our favor without a decisive Russian defeat. B. That can be achieved by sending Ukraine sufficient aid. C. The cost is worth it. I don’t disagree

A follow-up query to your views on this:

It seems apparent given the events of this conflict that the only threat posed by Russia is a nuclear threat. They would get absolutely rolled by NATO forces and everyone knows that. They just don't have the army, air force or navy to be a concern. So what's the motivation to continue this long and costly engagement when we're footing such a large portion of the costs?

Wouldn't it be better to focus on readiness related to China? They are a far greater threat.

I disagree with this Kissinger assessment. Ukraine is Russia's line in the sand. They will fight to keep NATO troops out of Ukraine. US economy is operating literally with monopoly money and we are being bled dry in this conflict also. Imo they plan to keep sending bigger arms to Ukraine and then hope to get Russia to do something to give them justification to say Russia started it and war is on.

Reactions: AugTig
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT