ADVERTISEMENT

Under the Category of Can't Make This Up...

A guy in Virginia who is a self-described pedophile, is running for Congress. This is possible because Terry McCauliffe, a long time Clintonista, by executive order, has allowed convicted felons to vote, and thus, also run for state congress.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...ndidate-pedophile_us_5b10916de4b0d5e89e1e4824

Why exactly should someone who has completed their sentence and repaid their debt to society (at least as far as the government is concerned) not be allowed to vote? Also, are you sure that you're correct on allowing voting being the cause of a felon being able to run for office? They don't seem related to me. Also, who cares? He's not going to get elected and if people want to elect a pedophile they should be able to. We elected Donald Trump and he's bragged about sexual assault.

Why exactly should someone who has completed their sentence and repaid their debt to society (at least as far as the government is concerned) not be allowed to vote? Also, are you sure that you're correct on allowing voting being the cause of a felon being able to run for office? They don't seem related to me. Also, who cares? He's not going to get elected and if people want to elect a pedophile they should be able to. We elected Donald Trump and he's bragged about sexual assault.

I read the aricle. Even Snopes validates the article. Article said he was convicted of a felony. It's near the bottom. If you live in Va. If restoring rights to felons is ok for you, then should he also be able to purchase a gun?

I read the aricle. Even Snopes validates the article. Article said he was convicted of a felony. It's near the bottom. If you live in Va. If restoring rights to felons is ok for you, then should he also be able to purchase a gun?

But in 2016, then-Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe (D) restored voting and other civil rights to thousands of felons, allowing Larson to run for state office.

It wasn't clear to me if it was somehow tied to being able to vote. Looks like he restored the ability to run for office and that same time he allowed voting rights again. It's a minor point and not one I should have fussed about.

I sort of do think that firearm rights should be restored. I do think it's more acceptable to restrict firearm access to people who have proven they can't be trusted with firearms than it is to restrict voting rights. However, it's always rubbed be the wrong way that you can finish your time and your probation and not be a full member of society again. I think refusing to allow felons to vote is sort of pernicious; on the whole I think we'd be better off if these individuals felt like they were a part of this society instead of outcasts. I'd even be ok with people still serving time voting because voting is one of our most fundamental rights as citizens.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT