ADVERTISEMENT

Updated Weekly COVID Stats for SC...

As others have mentioned, some of the death numbers are misconstrued because they represent previously unreported deaths. In some cases these deaths go back weeks. For example, of the 56 reported yesterday (for the 20th), 12 deaths occurred on the 20th. I’m sure, in the coming days, more deaths will be added to the 20th’s death numbers. Saying all that to say, the numbers aren’t wrong, but I would always read beyond the headline.
Of course every death reported did not occur on that day. When has that ever been reported to have been the case? That is why you have to look at the data as trending numbers. That is why daily totals are not as useful. On a weekly basis, numbers are rising, not declining. That is the take away, not that EXACTLY XX number of people died on this date. DHEC has been pretty transparent.

Reactions: Pvilletigerfan
I don't think DHEC hid information.... That's not what I said. They have done a good job. 56 deaths was just misleading from the news without clarification. 56(57) people did not die yesterday from covid. They announced 57 new deaths that occured over several days. Saying 56(57) people died in one day is wrong. This chart is straight from DHEC. The green numbers are the "new deaths" which is what the news and fear mongers put out there as having all occurred in one day which is false. All I am saying is you must be careful with what you hear.
COVID19-Death-Date-and-Death-Event-Date-7.21.20_Cumulative_Update.PNG

The way they are reported hasn't changed. From the beginning, DHEC has reported the deaths that are able to confirm as of that point. In fact, the way DHEC is doing this should quell the conspiracy theorists who think the deaths are made up. They are taking their time to confirm the cause.

Deaths lag cases by 20-30 days. It was expected that the cases would spike around this time.

On a positive note, after 10 straight days of % positive above 20, we have 4 out of 6 below 20%.

Numbers today:

1650 new cases
39 reported deaths
19 percent positive

Basically ground hog day.

What I find interesting and somewhat predictable is that the areas that were hotspots two weeks ago are seeing cases drop rather significantly while rural counties are seeing a pretty big jump.

This virus moves into an area, infects a lot of people and then starts to decline after about a month. It has followed that trend everywhere.

No doubt in my mind that once "x" percentage of people are infected it has a hard time maintaining momentum and that number is nowhere near 70%. Looks like 20% provides a pretty decent herd immunity effect.

Man, if there was ever anyone that's mental capacity matched their username, it's you! The ole "TooterTown Population of 7" must refer to you and your 6 brain cells.
Forgive me if I don’t believe everything the Government says. Remind me noT to get on the Train to the re-education camp with you.
And stay the F out of TooterTown, we don’t need your kind.

Forgive me if I don’t believe everything the Government says. Remind me noT to get on the Train to the re-education camp with you.
What is the government's end goal, here? To completely bankrupt the economy so they can rule over a bunch of poor masked people? This is what I don't get with the conspiracy theorists.

My comments were in direct response to OP which seemed to indicate 56 people died yesterday, which is patently false. I’m personally not denying that things have gotten worse. They have! But I want people to realize how the data is being reported.
You need to go back and read the post. I did NOT say 56 people died yesterday. I said DHEC reported 56 new confirmed cases, which they did. I did not realize that people didn't realize there wasn't a flashing red light that goes off at DHEC every time a person dies with COVID. Deaths have to be certified and validated and submitted and that doesnt happen in real time. That is why that chart is reflecting data in weeks not days, to better help reflect the trend. The trends are the story, not how many exact cases occured on this exact day versus another day.

Reactions: firegiver
Another 64 deaths reported in SC today. That's 121 in the last two days. Sounds like everything is getting better, right?
BTW, my left testicle wouldn't fit inside the po dump piece of asphalt called TooterTown. Only thing you have going for you there is a Dollar General and a liquor store within 500 yds.

OK so this is why you must be careful with what SCDHEC and the media put out there. WIS said that the 56 deaths reported yesterday looked fishy and they investigated. DHEC told them it was abnormally high because it included deaths that were from July 3 forward that were added to the totals. 56 was not an accurate number for yesterday's deaths. They were nowhere near that high. They included all "reported" new deaths regardless of day.

SC and many other states that were skyrocketing in cases have hit a plateau or are beginning to decline. The 14 day moving average is flat or declining in many places that were spiking the last 3 weeks while others are still climbing but they will flatten as well.

What happened in NYC had to happen everywhere. It had to. They were first because they have so many international travelers and because NYC has more people per city block than anywhere else in the nation. It was the first target for a reason and we were all unprepared. The rest of the nation SHUT IT DOWN when that happened. Lock down mode. They didn't beat crap and they never were going to. They/we hid from it. It was inevitable that what happened in NYC was going to happen everywhere with the more populated areas being hit first followed by all the rural areas. Well.... It is and it's following nearly the exact same trajectory.

SC and Florida are almost through the worst part. Texas isn't far behind. It has to run it's course combined with smart reopening. Watch the week ending July 25 for SC and FL. It's going to be about the same or less than the prior week.

That's just my opinion....
Agree 100%

Yeah, its not up for debate or opinion. Kind of like the motorcycle guy.

There is a difference of dying from Covid and dying with Covid. Both can test positive and be "related" to covid. Maybe they separate that data, if so please post. Until that time, there will be debate and opinion.

LOL at there being no debate.
100% accurate. Anyone dying with covid is registered as dying from covid, no matter what.

Numbers today:

1650 new cases
39 reported deaths
19 percent positive

Basically ground hog day.

What I find interesting and somewhat predictable is that the areas that were hotspots two weeks ago are seeing cases drop rather significantly while rural counties are seeing a pretty big jump.

This virus moves into an area, infects a lot of people and then starts to decline after about a month. It has followed that trend everywhere.

No doubt in my mind that once "x" percentage of people are infected it has a hard time maintaining momentum and that number is nowhere near 70%. Looks like 20% provides a pretty decent herd immunity effect.
Yep. But not getting worse.
https://scdhec.gov/infectious-disea...covid-19/sc-testing-data-projections-covid-19
The small blue/turquoise chart at the bottom of the main dashboard is encouraging. Almost looks like we are about to come down the other side of the bell curve. I hope so at least. Either way the rapid increase in case counts per day seems to have stopped which is great news.

What is there to disagree with? The numbers and the data are available. Here is a link to SC DHEC where they state the difference and how they identify them. It is not up for debate or opinion. Just click the link...

https://www.scdhec.gov/infectious-d...19-covid-19/covid-19-confirmed-probable-cases
Many of the listed COVID-19 deaths are incidental and not because of the virus. Everybody coming through a hospital door gets tested. The patients who comes in with a stroke or a gunshot wound to the chest and die from those are listed as COVID-19 deaths if they have a positive test. But obviously the virus infection did not kill them. We don't know what % of deaths is this subset, but it is something to consider. So there can be something to disagree with.

Another 64 deaths reported in SC today. That's 121 in the last two days. Sounds like everything is getting better, right?
BTW, my left testicle wouldn't fit inside the po dump piece of asphalt called TooterTown. Only thing you have going for you there is a Dollar General and a liquor store within 500 yds.

You're the classic uninformed person.

We didnt spike to 60 deaths/day.

Those were spread out over 10 days.

It would be like me proclaiming the death rate is plummeting because only 4 were reported a few days ago.

We are averaging about 21 deaths/day over the last two weeks. It is terrible that people are dying but it has leveled off. It is not spiking out of control like you believe because you saw 60+ deaths reported.

What is the government's end goal, here? To completely bankrupt the economy so they can rule over a bunch of poor masked people? This is what I don't get with the conspiracy theorists.
So you don’t think there are imperfect individuals in parts of the government that love power and would do whatever it takes to get more of it. You think even the government has your best interest in mind? Keep believing that. Why do you even vote, if you think everyone has the same agenda?

We like the Dollar General and Liquor store. BTW, you should probably see a Dr about that swollen nut.

When they report a death as "probable", do they go back and test for confirmation? If so, are the numbers adjusted for the date of death, or just added onto the numbers on the date confirmed?

We aren't plateauing or anyone else is until schools are back to face to face instructions including colleges.

Kids won't get sick but they will be carriers for adults.

So I don't think we hit the high until mid to late Fall.

You're the classic uninformed person.

We didnt spike to 60 deaths/day.

Those were spread out over 10 days.

It would be like me proclaiming the death rate is plummeting because only 4 were reported a few days ago.

We are averaging about 21 deaths/day over the last two weeks. It is terrible that people are dying but it has leveled off. It is not spiking out of control like you believe because you saw 60+ deaths reported.
Guess what: they've been counting them the same way thru this whole ordeal, so it's all relative. Noone said that those 60 deaths occurred today. Just that they were reported today. Whether they occurred today or 3 weeks ago, the numbers are skyrocketing in SC.

You need to go back and read the post. I did NOT say 56 people died yesterday. I said DHEC reported 56 new confirmed cases, which they did. I did not realize that people didn't realize there wasn't a flashing red light that goes off at DHEC every time a person dies with COVID. Deaths have to be certified and validated and submitted and that doesnt happen in real time. That is why that chart is reflecting data in weeks not days, to better help reflect the trend. The trends are the story, not how many exact cases occured on this exact day versus another day.
I don’t disagree that’s what you meant, I was attempting to clarify. As exemplified from another poster in this thread, not everyone understands the difference between the day the death was reported and the day the death occurred.

It looks like Pfizer will have a vaccine ready by December.
Trump has already instructed an order being issued by the Feds for an initial 100 million doses of the Pfizer vaccine, with an additional order of 500 million doses to follow if vaccine performs well.

Positive cases were 22% of tests in yesterday's update from DHEC. The last week of May it was 4.7%.

The problem with total tests with DHEC is they include all tests in their numbers, to include antibody tests and retests. However, they do not include positive antibody results and retests in the positive case count. That means for comparative purposes to positive cases of covid it is no good.

DHEC does, however, give the % who tested positive in the daily viral tests with their daily updates. That is the 22% I posted above.

Here is what I would like to know.

How many new patients tested positive? Since positive tests require retests and some of those will also be positive and eventually negative (we hope) that is a relevant number.

How many COVID discharges were made today? This is an indicator of resolution , along with death of course, and tells you if LOS is coming down.

What is the age at admission? This lets us map spread within the population. We track this at death but have not seen the relevant data otherwise.

What are the actual dates of death? This is often reported based on the date the death certificate is issued and thus there is a processing lag. If it has been removed and we recast that would again be useful.

Many of the listed COVID-19 deaths are incidental and not because of the virus. Everybody coming through a hospital door gets tested. The patients who comes in with a stroke or a gunshot wound to the chest and die from those are listed as COVID-19 deaths if they have a positive test. But obviously the virus infection did not kill them. We don't know what % of deaths is this subset, but it is something to consider. So there can be something to disagree with.
Not true

Reactions: CU91ENGR
Guess what: they've been counting them the same way thru this whole ordeal, so it's all relative. Noone said that those 60 deaths occurred today. Just that they were reported today. Whether they occurred today or 3 weeks ago, the numbers are skyrocketing in SC.

The above are the actual deaths by day since July 1.

The deaths aren't "skyrocketing".

Educate yourself.

Reactions: TigerTemp

The above are the actual deaths by day since July 1.

The deaths aren't "skyrocketing".

Educate yourself.
Learn how to read a graph! Looks like these numbers sure have skyrocketed since July 1 to me. And please note that all of these recent days will have additional deaths on them in a few weeks...just like is happening now. I'm plenty educated, and don't have a motivation to stick my head in the sand and ignore what's going on around me like many of you.

https://www.scdhec.gov/sites/defaul...-Date-Death-Event-Date-7.22.20_Cumulative.PNG

Reactions: pharout73
Come on man. Noone in those confirmed deaths reported above died of a gun shot wound.

In the link to DHEC I provided they outline that a confirmed death must meet 2 criteria: 1) the death must be RELATED to COVID-19 and 2) the person must have tested positive with a viral test for COVID-19.

Gun shot wounds are not related to COVID-19 in SC.

Come on man. Noone in those confirmed deaths reported above died of a gun shot wound.

In the link to DHEC I provided they outline that a confirmed death must meet 2 criteria: 1) the death must be RELATED to COVID-19 and 2) the person must have tested positive with a viral test for COVID-19.

Gun shot wounds are not related to COVID-19 in SC.
Man, you're taking away from his narrative.

looks to me that the test positive is stable. Todays numbers going backwards. 1654,1870,1445,2335[this includes 526 from a lab that was done on the 17th],1481,1964,1842 and 1850

If they aren't counting dying with covid and adding that to dying of covid then why is every person who dies tested for covid?

The % positive number and it's importance is what I don't understand. I get the intent, but a lot more people got sick with colds and flu in March, April and even May than in June and July. There were probably more people tested then that had some sort of symptoms that didn't have covid, where as now, if you have cold/flu like symptoms, you probably have covid.

Reactions: fatpiggy
looks to me that the test positive is stable. Todays numbers going backwards. 1654,1870,1445,2335[this includes 526 from a lab that was done on the 17th],1481,1964,1842 and 1850
And some labs turn them around same day if the test is done early enough in the AM, and some still take 3-5 days for results. The per day numbers have always been skewed by this, weekends, and holidays.

Reactions: CU91ENGR
Learn how to read a graph! Looks like these numbers sure have skyrocketed since July 1 to me. And please note that all of these recent days will have additional deaths on them in a few weeks...just like is happening now. I'm plenty educated, and don't have a motivation to stick my head in the sand and ignore what's going on around me like many of you.

https://www.scdhec.gov/sites/defaul...-Date-Death-Event-Date-7.22.20_Cumulative.PNG

An average of 4 or 5 more per day over a two week period is not "skyrocketing" to me.

We're talking about a population of 5.25 million people.

An average of 4 or 5 more per day over a two week period is not "skyrocketing" to me.

We're talking about a population of 5.25 million people.
From July 1 to July 10, SC averaged 19 deaths per day. From July 10 to July 21, SC averaged 27.5 deaths per day. That's a 45% increase. I consider that skyrocketing. If your 401k went up 45%, would you be "Meh" or "Hell Yeah"? Also keep in mind that there will likely be many more deaths added to the time between July 10-21.

From July 1 to July 10, SC averaged 19 deaths per day. From July 10 to July 21, SC averaged 27.5 deaths per day. That's a 45% increase. I consider that skyrocketing. If your 401k went up 45%, would you be "Meh" or "Hell Yeah"? Also keep in mind that there will likely be many more deaths added to the time between July 10-21.

Look, I hate to see anyone die. This virus sucks.

But it isn't disappearing for a while and people are going to die. I just dont think we are at skyrocketing levels.

If I had $20 in an IRA and it went to $40 in two weeks I wouldn't consider it to be skyrocketing. It just meant I had a good two weeks.

Now if I had $10,000 and it went to $20,000 I would be really excited.

Saying deaths have gone up 45% when the starting number is low doesnt make me freak out. If that number continues to double every week for a 3 or 4 weeks I would be very concerned.

Reactions: ClemsonMullet
Post-truth politics are going to be the downfall of America, long term. If we continue to exist in a society where we excuse anything that we don’t like as just made up or a conspiracy and we can’t even agree on a basic framework of truth then we are ultimately doomed to fail.

This x 1000

Reactions: firegiver
Post-truth politics are going to be the downfall of America, long term. If we continue to exist in a society where we excuse anything that we don’t like as just made up or a conspiracy and we can’t even agree on a basic framework of truth then we are ultimately doomed to fail.
The last three years I have heard more conspiracy theories than ever before. There sure are a lot of people that believe virtually the entire world has conspired to attack one man.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT