ADVERTISEMENT

Very OT. Chernobyl and Fukushima

haymond1977

Lake Baikal
Gold Member
Mar 21, 2008
After watching Chernobyl on HBO, i watched some other documentaries on it which lead me to watch other documentaries on Fukushima and three mile island, etc.

Makes me wonder how well built and newer the nuclear sites are that surround me in the upstate. Oconee and Savannah are the closest, right? Seems like the excuse for most of the disasters in the past is that these sites were outdated and should have been updated. Especially Chernobyl, which relied too heavily on operating humans, and Fukushima which was not built to handle flooding and would have worked if it were built like Tokyo plant.

Anyone know how crazy I am to live in the kill zone in the upstate of SC?

After watching Chernobyl on HBO, i watched some other documentaries on it which lead me to watch other documentaries on Fukushima and three mile island, etc.

Makes me wonder how well built and newer the nuclear sites are that surround me in the upstate. Oconee and Savannah are the closest, right? Seems like the excuse for most of the disasters in the past is that these sites were outdated and should have been updated. Especially Chernobyl, which relied too heavily on operating humans, and Fukushima which was not built to handle flooding and would have worked if it were built like Tokyo plant.

Anyone know how crazy I am to live in the kill zone in the upstate of SC?
Part of what made both of those incidents so bad were the culture that they occurred in. However, if you’re speaking about the design of the plants themselves, every single plant in the US has the same inherent design flaws. The cost benefit of retrofitting those plants would deem those projects completely unnecessary. All that being said, the likelihood of a similar disaster happening here is very, very small.

Reactions: ChiefTiger
I wish more people were informed on nuclear power. It is the answer to all energy needs. Except transportation. [Even though a nuclear Silverado would be awesone]

Im certainly no expert but im on the internet and yall dont know that.

Absolutely correct.

I'm shocked at the level of acceptance ITT. I thought there would be at least a few that saw past the propaganda and lobbying that nuclear pushes.

Look I'm not saying anything happening is likely. Not even close. But if you think a core is impossible to explode and cause more than small damage like Fukushima... You are mistaken. Chernobyl has had a hand in a half a million deaths, not the 4 or 5 thousand Ukraine would have you believe. There was major levels felt in Sweden and all the way to the UK. Think we would just have a few deaths if we had a core explode in Savannah? You are crazy.

The government's most highly regulated areas like nuclear power or nuclear weapons, are not immune to over-site and stupidity over time. Hell we dropped an H bomb off the coast of GA and the not only did we lose it, the govt. can't even definitively say if it had uranium in it or not. When something happens again, and it is when, the same people on this board saying don't worry will call it an anomaly and it wont happen again.

Been in the industry over 25 years. The Russians bypassed 7 different systems to cause Chernobyl and not one life was lost at 3 mile island or Fukushima. Nuclear is a clean, safe source of power. Consider the source on the HBO story, these are the same nut jobs that put scum like Bill Maher on TV.

I wish more people were informed on nuclear power. It is the answer to all energy needs. Except transportation. [Even though a nuclear Silverado would be awesone]

Im certainly no expert but im on the internet and yall dont know that.

I agree. The Navy has been running safe nukes for decades. Yes we have had civ accidents (Three Mile Island), but no disasters with a capital "D". We have had decades to develop and research reactors that produce far less waste. We should be doing more with nuclear power in this country.

Been in the industry over 25 years. The Russians bypassed 7 different systems to cause Chernobyl and not one life was lost at 3 mile island or Fukushima. Nuclear is a clean, safe source of power. Consider the source on the HBO story, these are the same nut jobs that put scum like Bill Maher on TV.
So I should consider the source and you work in nuclear?

Hmm.

Dont be interjecting facts when we have some good hysteria brewing...really kills the mood. However I have faith that someone will be along shortly to get it going again...

nuclearx2011_percent_800x575.png

Not entering the debate, just providing hopefully interesting data points regarding the adoption of nuclear energy for different countries and where the U.S. currently stands in comparison.

I'm shocked at the level of acceptance ITT. I thought there would be at least a few that saw past the propaganda and lobbying that nuclear pushes.

Look I'm not saying anything happening is likely. Not even close. But if you think a core is impossible to explode and cause more than small damage like Fukushima... You are mistaken. Chernobyl has had a hand in a half a million deaths, not the 4 or 5 thousand Ukraine would have you believe. There was major levels felt in Sweden and all the way to the UK. Think we would just have a few deaths if we had a core explode in Savannah? You are crazy.

The government's most highly regulated areas like nuclear power or nuclear weapons, are not immune to over-site and stupidity over time. Hell we dropped an H bomb off the coast of GA and the not only did we lose it, the govt. can't even definitively say if it had uranium in it or not. When something happens again, and it is when, the same people on this board saying don't worry will call it an anomaly and it wont happen again.

Dropped an atomic bomb on Florence as well. The conventional explosives detonated but the core wasn’t armed...

If you add up all the deaths and damage from nuclear energy production over the
world, you don't come within a tiny fraction of the damage done from coal fired
plants, from a physician's standpoint. Wind and solar are space polluting; hydroelectric
is limited. Nuclear is the only logical way. And this is from a democrat, where all the
antinuclear freaks reside.

US Cores don’t explode. They never would. They melt. There could be hydrogen explosions coming from radiolysis following an accident but the core itself doesn’t explode. We are completely opposite of Chernobyl. I was previously licensed Senior Reactor Operator. I chose to stop working shift work so I have a different position now at Oconee. Trust when I say there are not another group of better trained and immensely scrutinized individuals than those who work in the Nuclear Industry. It really is an amazing power source that the country has damn near priced itself out of.

plants, from a physician's standpoint. Wind and solar are space polluting; hydroelectric
is limited. Nuclear is the only logical way. And this is from a democrat, where all the
It's funny to me where this argument gets lost. You have great points and it's undeniable how well and efficient nuclear is... let's put that to bed.

It still could, in a small chance in hell, could be a continent killer! That's not even sensationalizing. It could have that propensity.

It's funny to me where this argument gets lost. You have great points and it's undeniable how well and efficient nuclear is... let's put that to bed.

It still could, in a small chance in hell, could be a continent killer! That's not even sensationalizing. It could have that propensity.

Go on....

Reactions: Art of the Tiger
I have worked in nuclear for 25+ years including the Navy and Oconee. I also have a degree in Nuclear Eng. Nuclear is one of the safest technologies there is and the US nuclear fleet is light years different than the technology in Russia. The Japanese technology is similar, however, their operating procedures and decision making are different which led to the Fuk issue being worse than it could have been.
There is a risk associated with everything, and nuclear is one of the least risky. Look at it this way - The Three Mile Island incident was the worst US nuclear "accident" in 50+ years and not a single person died. Name another industry with that track record.

Hmmm there are some folks that like wearing tinfoil beenies I see. Yes, a US reactor “could” melt down but the Yellowstone caldera “could” also explode, a large asteroid “could” hit Kansas, an 8.2 earthquake “could” hit Los Angeles, I could go on. Just because something could happen doesn’t mean it will nor does it mean you should prepare for it. For that matter I could win the lottery but that doesn’t mean I should stop putting money in my 401k.

You should take a look at the old and decrepit Indian Point Nuclear site about 30 miles from NYC. It’s about a mile from a earthquake fault. The exclusion zone would be pretty much the whole Tri-State area, 5 burroughs of NYC and Long Island. Only about 30 million people. FEMA did a study a while back to determine how long it would take to evacuate and they estimated around 3 months. Imagine all of Queens, Brooklyn, Staten Island, Manhattan, and Long Island evacuating via how many bridges and tunnels. FUN!

Finally shutting that POS down in 2020(something). Meanwhile...

Your original question was are you crazy living close to nuke power. You received opinions....then argue. WTF did you really want?

nuclearx2011_percent_800x575.png

Not entering the debate, just providing hopefully interesting data points regarding the adoption of nuclear energy for different countries and where the U.S. currently stands in comparison.
There's your winner. Nuclear is clean and efficient and look at the coal producing countries at the bottom end of the spectrum.

I believe nuclear is the safest and cleanest form of energy in the world, it’s not even debatable. But humans are humans, we belong to Mother Nature, and we will never be able to plan for everything.

Look at Fukushima... We’re not talking about commy mongoloids slamming shots of vodka and playing games with their reactors, those guys were responsible professionals and it never even dawned on them to protect their backup generators from a massive flood

We can take every precaution in the world but we account for a handful of potential natural disasters when there are an endless amount of things that can happen we probably aren’t taking into account

You should take a look at the old and decrepit Indian Point Nuclear site about 30 miles from NYC. It’s about a mile from a earthquake fault. The exclusion zone would be pretty much the whole Tri-State area, 5 burroughs of NYC and Long Island. Only about 30 million people. FEMA did a study a while back to determine how long it would take to evacuate and they estimated around 3 months. Imagine all of Queens, Brooklyn, Staten Island, Manhattan, and Long Island evacuating via how many bridges and tunnels. FUN!

While I agree there is a high population density, I don’t understand why you call it a POS. There have been zero incidents and no health effects associated with IP and it has operated for years supplying a low cost, zero carbon emitting power source to that same population. It is being shutdown due to ignorance.
I spent 6 months at IP helping them with an issue they had

yikes

upon further reading. what does this even mean? what do you think the show is saying that we should "consider the source on"?

So, does a nuclear plant built on/near a fault zone concern you? Do you have any idea how many are near fault zones? Several are. Let me name two for you; San Onofre and Diablo Canyon. The designs are built to withstand earthquakes. 30 year environmental professional, professional geologist formerly licensed in eight states. Work in the electric power industry. My retirement home is in San Clemente; I have zero concerns. Take it for what it’s worth. Wear a heavy duty tin foil hat if you want or you can listen those very few who really know WTF they’re talking about. You decide.

US Cores don’t explode. They never would. They melt. There could be hydrogen explosions coming from radiolysis following an accident but the core itself doesn’t explode. We are completely opposite of Chernobyl. I was previously licensed Senior Reactor Operator. I chose to stop working shift work so I have a different position now at Oconee. Trust when I say there are not another group of better trained and immensely scrutinized individuals than those who work in the Nuclear Industry. It really is an amazing power source that the country has damn near priced itself out of.
Awesome! I tried to explain positive vs negative moderator coefficient in another thread

Reactions: Rdd8188
Your original question was are you crazy living close to nuke power. You received opinions....then argue. WTF did you really want?
Sorry I ruffled you so! I'll try to take more care of your feelings friendo.

I was really just trying to steer the conversation away from weather nuke power is the cleanest, best source of power and more towards the potential of disaster. All i hear hear when I read that it's the best source, regardless of propensity of tragedy, is that we are not willing to develop alternative and this is the most lucrative source. I hear greed. F the people, F the environment! Got to get that Fission Baby!

One person said you can say "could happen" all you want. Dismissing the underlying problem. You can say what if a wind terbine's blade falls off or what if the tesla magnets catch on fire... none of these causes a "D"isaster. A terrorist discharging a bomb that would blow up Fountain Inn City in or near the core would kill 1/2 the east coast maybe. Big if right? Cause terrorist are never looking for opportunities.

Reactions: TICrack
What is space polluting?

I have worked in nuclear for 25+ years including the Navy and Oconee. I also have a degree in Nuclear Eng. Nuclear is one of the safest technologies there is and the US nuclear fleet is light years different than the technology in Russia. The Japanese technology is similar, however, their operating procedures and decision making are different which led to the Fuk issue being worse than it could have been.
There is a risk associated with everything, and nuclear is one of the least risky. Look at it this way - The Three Mile Island incident was the worst US nuclear "accident" in 50+ years and not a single person died. Name another industry with that track record.
The Mourgue Industry.....because they're already dead....

I'll see myself out!

I believe @Walhalla Wildman works at the Oconee Nuclear facility.

Well, I show up there everyday.
Regarding living near a nuclear plant, the number of $1M+ Homes on Lake Keowee indicate to me that there are a lot of rich people who do not fear it.
Arguing about it is, however, a futile exercise.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT