ADVERTISEMENT

********** WEDNESDAY UPDATE **********

I've stayed away from TI for the past several months because I know my thoughts & feelings likely aren't popular to the large majority of posters. But this isn't political. It's about right and wrong. If a 20-year old college kid is wise enough to see that, I feel we should all be able to agree on this one.

Regardless of what happens to Pearman, Dabo needs to speak again. And unlike Monday, he has to take a firmer stance. More than anyone, Dabo is cognizant of his platform to make a change, to have an impact and he totally took the “safe” route. He avoided the whole thing in my opinion. He had a situation lobbed right up there for him. He lives off of this stuff. And he whiffed bad.

I'm a huge Dabo guy, but he disappointed me for the first time on Monday. He made a mistake. But in a weird twist of fate, he has a chance to make up for it. To say what should have been said on Monday.

Thanks for your time. I'll get off my soapbox and go back into hiding until we can all talk civilly again.

Very true I had to fire 4 people last week that I really liked and cared about. They all four reached out to me and apologized and understood what they did was wrong and I have no issues with any of them and will maintain relationships with them.
We aren’t saying Dabo and Pearman can’t be friends anymore, but he does need to be fired from this staff and University.
This situation occurred three years ago and nobody had an issue. People rave about the culture. Pearman apologizes and we move on. He didn’t just walk up to him and call him a name. He lost his cool and mocked him for using it. A bad mistake but I find it hard to believe that greenlees dad would just let it go if it was malicious or wasn’t handled. If he did, Shame on him. Now we find out from a random tweet and the guy should be fired? For what? Social injustice or so the football team isn’t damaged. I’m fine with going 8-4 if we have a backbone doing it. Again, if the situation is not as advertised or there is a coverup, then we got a different problem.

I disagree with this - I have not seen any contradiction. DJ himself was the one who said that it was used to get him to stop saying it. I think people imagined when they read that that it was "Don't say the n-word" or something to that effect. Now we know that Pearman was repeating what he said and it wasn't as benign as previously imagined but the point of what Pearman was saying still appears to have been to get him to stop saying it.

I fail to see the evidence of how the further details added by DJ contradict Pearman's statement or DJ's initial characterization of the conversation.

Problem is everyone will perceive it the way they want to perceive it. Given the current state of affairs no one is going to perceive it as anything other than racist and a cover up, from fear of being labled a racist themselves. It could very well have been racist, it could very well have been in extremely poor taste.

The damage is done, and nothing will undo it. The only thing at this point is how to mitigate the damage.

I can't see a scenario where Pearman doesn't resign at this point. It will help, but Dabo will still be roasted for it. Everyone has been waiting for this moment. EVERYONE. No one will miss the opportunity to tear him down.

This begs the question - is Larry Greenlee's job also in jeopardy if Danny Pearman is released? I know my dad would've whipped my butt if I used that word. Surprised Larry allows it from his son.

Reactions: SEHTiger
If you cut him loose now it begs the question why didn't you do it in 2016? Then Dabo get raked over the coals for a "cover up". There's no way this comes to a good conclusion now unless someone else who was there can corroborate Pearman's side, which doesn't appear that it's going to happen. Hell where's Greenlee Sr in all of this? He's right there on staff and might be able to at least dampen the fires a little.

I think "forced resignation" is the way to go. Pearman makes a statement about how recent events have resulted in his re-examination of his previous use of the word.....yada yada yada.....don't want to hurt this great institution.....no one person is bigger than the program......I deeply apologize for those I have hurt (which I'd bet he truly is)......

Reactions: Maverick369
Very well said. I hate that someone would have to lose their job when he wasn't verbally attacking a player, but it is what it is. A bad mistake. Pearman should have enough in his bank account to retire. He's gotta be in his 60s anyways.

Now go out and get another ace recruiter.

It sucks. It sucks that Pearman could be a casualty of the country's current war on racism for having a momentary lapse in judgement (momentary, according to what the public knows). It's terrifying that a man's career could be ended over one incident of saying a racist word 3 years ago, which he apologized for. But I'm beginning to understand why it should happen. Pearman's life isn't over. The sooner we get through this, the better it is for everyone, including Pearman. The more publicity that this gains from dragging it out, the more fallout there will be in the long term.

Dabo , Rad , and Clements are going to do their due dillegnce in looking at thier options related to Pearman (if any ) and talking to correct parties involved . The ultimate decision will be Dabo’s and we have to remember the story is still 24 hours old.

Knowing how Rad ,Swinney and Clements work they want to make sure they have covered all thier basis before making a public comment related to this incident and Pearman’s future.

giphy.gif
Wish we had project mockingbird right now to make the narrative whatever we wanted.

Honestly, there is one man who could probably help put this whole thing to bed if he would speak out on it (assuming it wasn't with a "racist intent")......

0ap3000000827855.jpg

CW tells me that it was handled properly, then that's the end of it IMO. He says that he wasn't comfortable with how it went down......Houston we've got a problem.

Sounds like he is relieved that Tuttle outed Pearman. He would either A. Be upset w Tuttle for saying anything or B. Painted Pearman in the best light possible if he wasn't still upset. It's called karma for Pearman, and he needs to go.

Reactions: TylerHumpFrow13
There is a simple play here.

1. Announce Pearman resignation.
2. Acknowledge the way it was handled was not right. In plain English: apology. It's never too late to apologize.
3. Affirm stance on values and culture of tolerance of all players (which I believe is already the case).

Then the program and fan base can move forward. Go Tigers.
Rename Tillman as a step in the right direction.

Sounds like he is relieved that Tuttle outed Pearman. He would either A. Be upset w Tuttle for saying anything or B. Painted Pearman in the best light possible if he wasn't still upset. It's called karma for Pearman, and he needs to go.
If he truly felt it was racism and wasn’t handled correctly his dad should be fired too for being a pussy and not knocking Pearman out. Maybe he did. We aren’t privy to all the info.

Reactions: jgilchrist7
I've stayed away from TI for the past several months because I know my thoughts & feelings likely aren't popular to the large majority of posters. But this isn't political. It's about right and wrong. If a 20-year old college kid is wise enough to see that, I feel we should all be able to agree on this one.

Regardless of what happens to Pearman, Dabo needs to speak again. And unlike Monday, he has to take a firmer stance. More than anyone, Dabo is cognizant of his platform to make a change, to have an impact and he totally took the “safe” route. He avoided the whole thing in my opinion. He had a situation lobbed right up there for him. He lives off of this stuff. And he whiffed bad.

I'm a huge Dabo guy, but he disappointed me for the first time on Monday. He made a mistake. But in a weird twist of fate, he has a chance to make up for it. To say what should have been said on Monday.

Thanks for your time. I'll get off my soapbox and go back into hiding until we can all talk civilly again.

stick around. The board could use you

I disagree with this - I have not seen any contradiction. DJ himself was the one who said that it was used to get him to stop saying it. I think people imagined when they read that that it was "Don't say the n-word" or something to that effect. Now we know that Pearman was repeating what he said and it wasn't as benign as previously imagined but the point of what Pearman was saying still appears to have been to get him to stop saying it.

I fail to see the evidence of how the further details added by DJ contradict Pearman's statement or DJ's initial characterization of the conversation.
I agree. @Larry_Williams would you care to respond.

If he truly felt it was racism and wasn’t handled correctly his dad should be fired too for being a pussy and not knocking Pearman out. Maybe he did. We aren’t privy to all the info.
That's true, I just think he's happy that it happened. Should've happened 3 years ago.

2. Acknowledge the way it was handled was not right. In plain English: apology. It's never too late to apologize.
3. Affirm stance on values and culture of tolerance of all players (which I believe is already the case).

I hate that you are right. But you are right.

Reactions: TylerHumpFrow13

Does the tolerance include having team members refer to each other as a n-word?

Agree - and in another weird twist of fate improve his coaching staff at the same time.

I don't believe the part about Dabo not allowing the "N word" to be used in the facility ONE BIT. It's in at least 2/3 of the rap songs in existence, for example.
I have argued this point repeatedly to people. But have been told there is a big difference between using the word with an “er” and just “a” at the end.

Does the tolerance include having team members refer to each other as a n-word?

Apparently Dabo does not allow that in the football facilities at Clemson, by anyone.

(I say football facilities because he probably can't monitor it everywhere else).

Last edited:
This is a hot take I can live with. If it’s a he said / he said, all involved should go. Do we want a man on staff who raised a son who uses such language to describe another human being?
This is starting to look like it may go down this path now and that is my point. Thank you for stating it better for me.

This is indeed political with right and wrong at its core. I'll continue to pound this point but Dabo's statement on the Floyd murder acknowledged the heinous nature of this one act but did not engage in selective outrage or promote a false agenda.

Reactions: Dbatz
This is a hot take I can live with. If it’s a he said / he said, all involved should go. Do we want a man on staff who raised a son who uses such language to describe another human being?
I see you don't understand the difference between a black man using the N word and a white man using the N word. I advise you do some research as to why there is a difference and maybe you will change your stance on the sentence above.

I took his initial statement to mean: "I used the n-word while telling him not to use the n-word."

Greenlee's clarified account indicates it was well more than that.

Oh boy. We’ve got a problem here folks. Question is, how do we resolve it in the (morally) right manner.

I agree 100%. It’s a problem.
The problem is in today’s society I’m afraid there won’t be a perceived “right manner”. For instance Dabo is dammed if he does and dammed if he doesn’t. If Pearman is fired Dabo will be crucified for not doing it 3 years ago. If Pearman resigns Dabo still has to explain why he didn’t fire him 3 years ago. The answer to this question will be ridiculed by 50%, accepted by 30%, and the rest will be on the fence. Either way the problem persists.

there seems to be some contradiction in the story a little now that warrants further details. If the player is misremembering the facts, embellishing, or flat out lying; then I think both sides have some explaining to do and this could be resolved. Some statements from other players who were there (other than the ones we’ve heard form so far) could go a long way To helping resolve it. Or blow it out of the water even further. It’s a mess.

Either way this new development of the story changing or not quite being portrayed as was first reported seems to me to be reason for pause. I commend Dabo, the administration, or both for looking into further.

100% agreed. This forum needs your voice. It's dominated by voices on the other extreme end of the spectrum.

Pear man should be gone for what he said. It should have happened 3 years ago. Add on to the fact that the but out a statement that contradicts other people and potentially lied to his superiors, I don’t see how is job isnt in jeopardy at all.
No he shouldn’t.
Apparently, everyone was fine with how the situation worked out three years ago which really brings into Greenlee’s account today. Stories tend to be exaggerated over time...I have a feeling this one is too.

This is indeed political with right and wrong at its core. I'll continue to pound this point but Dabo's statement on the Floyd murder acknowledged the heinous nature of this one act but did not engage in selective outrage or promote a false agenda.

what does "promote a false agenda" even mean? Dabo couldn't even be bothered to acknowledge the existence of inherent advantages of whiteness that black men do not enjoy in this country as well as the numerous injustices suffered in interactions with police. TL16 did that in his tweets on the subject. Why couldn't Dabo?

Who gives a shit?
First of all, you can leave your profanity at the door. Secondly, I figured if our Tillman Hall names after Ben Tillman was a great big issue then Winthrop’s Tillman Hall named after Ben Tillman would equally be under the microscope

No he shouldn’t.
Apparently, everyone was fine with how the situation worked out three years ago which really brings into Greenlee’s account today. Stories tend to be exaggerated over time...I have a feeling this one is too.

Greenlee said he was eventually able to accept Pearman’s apology.

“From there on forward, coach Pearman apologized, yeah. The whole team, everybody knew this. I was that one guy that was like, ‘Well, I see what I’m dealing with.’ I just handled it and said I’ll go on. I’m not going to hold a grudge on nobody. It is what it is. He said it. He apologized. But it still didn’t do the justice for him saying it.

Yeah, that sounds like he's over it.

It sounds to me like he accepted it because it was the best he was going to get. "It still didn't do the justice for him saying it." That's a begrudging acceptance.

--Mr. DT

No he shouldn’t.
You seem to have a real struggle in seeing fault in the things you love.

Reactions: Sobchak Security
Apparently Dabo does not allow that in the football facilities at Clemson, by anyone.

(I say football facilities because he probably can't monitor it everywhere else).

So there are two people that broke the rule and seemingly we are trying to punish only one person.

Equality. Greenlee broke the rule too

Reactions: Pawmeister
ADVERTISEMENT