ADVERTISEMENT

Weed 7: CBD Oil Heaven

hopefultiger13

The Jack Dunlap Club
Gold Member
Aug 20, 2008
Pocatello, ID
And the hits just keep coming... Showing what an absolutely moronic stance our very own FDA is taking by keeping Marijuana as a Schedule I drug (No acceptable medical uses).

Clinical Study in the American Journal of Psychiatry suggests that CBD oil reduces the effects of Heroin use:

Click (@orangelvis : Primary Source)

FYI, I work at a university and have access to a TON of journals. I have no idea if this one can be viewed by the public or not. Here's and cut and paste from the Abstract just in case.

Methods:
This exploratory double-blind randomized placebo-controlled trial assessed the acute (1 hour, 2 hours, and 24 hours), short-term (3 consecutive days), and protracted (7 days after the last of three consecutive daily administrations) effects of CBD administration (400 or 800 mg, once daily for 3 consecutive days) on drug cue–induced craving and anxiety in drug-abstinent individuals with heroin use disorder. Secondary measures assessed participants’ positive and negative affect, cognition, and physiological status.

Results:
Acute CBD administration, in contrast to placebo, significantly reduced both craving and anxiety induced by the presentation of salient drug cues compared with neutral cues. CBD also showed significant protracted effects on these measures 7 days after the final short-term (3-day) CBD exposure. In addition, CBD reduced the drug cue–induced physiological measures of heart rate and salivary cortisol levels. There were no significant effects on cognition, and there were no serious adverse effects.

Conclusions:
CBD’s potential to reduce cue-induced craving and anxiety provides a strong basis for further investigation of this phytocannabinoid as a treatment option for opioid use disorder.

It’s heartwarming how many people are genuinely concerned about the medical welfare of others. Truly heartwarming.

I’m sure it has nothing to do with the fact that you can smoke it and get high.

That doesn't make him less right. The number of legal things that are quantifiably more dangerous than marijuana is laughable.

This world doesn’t do anything that doesn’t make money. Weed or anything is only illegal because it makes a few people more money when it’s illegal. It’s all about government control of who’s getting paid.

It’s heartwarming how many people are genuinely concerned about the medical welfare of others. Truly heartwarming.

Well, I am concerned with the welfare of others. It's in the Bible and everything. It would be nice for folks that have gotten addicted to opioids (for whatever reason) to have an easier way to get that monkey off their backs.

IF pot were legal in my state, that would be my drug of choice, no doubt. I do it whenever I travel to my neighboring states where it's legal. At my age though, it's completely NOT worth even the relatively small chance of getting arrested to do it at home. I like a cold beer on a hot day, but it it were illegal, I'd drink something else. It's as crazy to have pot illegal as it would be to make beer illegal...

The two things are not mutually exclusive.

People with this attitude are part of the problem.

I feel you brother, but he's not wrong.

There are a ton of folks that are behind medical pot that ultimately want it completely legalized. I'm one of them, and I'd bet (if not the house, a substantial sum) that you are too.

That fact does NOT take anything away from the argument for medical weed. It is a very sound argument with a growing list of quality scientific knowledge and journal articles supporting it.

There's a difference between medicine and recreational and it is reflected in the national poles. According to the Pew research center (@orangelvis : Primary Source fact checked at least biased/most accurate by media fact check), 62% of Americans support legalizing weed (Oct 2018). BUT about 90% support some form of legalized medical marijuana according to WebMD (@orangelvis : This one is interesting... I couldn't find good number quicklys on this... The article I read this in DID NOT source their numbers, so this is at least a 2ndary source and could be tertiary... I'm also not sure of the accuracy of WebMD... It would be fair to question these numbers for sure... I have seen that 90% bandied about, but that means nothing)

Pew Research

WebMD

Reactions: robscottham
This world doesn’t do anything that doesn’t make money. Weed or anything is only illegal because it makes a few people more money when it’s illegal. It’s all about government control of who’s getting paid.

An economic model does explain a lot. Opinions vary, Science changes, People are just no damn good, but if you follow the money, it ALWAYS tells you something.

This was certainly the case with Pot being made illegal. There's almost always MORE to the story than an economic model though... There are racial issues and even religious ones that factored into this as well (particularly in the original outlawing of the drug). I'd invite you to check out the Netflix offering on weed from the black musician perspective (Forget the name). It's definitely flawed (mostly b/c it ignores your economic model.. yes racism is a thing, but everyone loves the GREEN), but makes some really good points.

Don't confuse him. @hopefultiger13 prefers smoking his oil.

Yes, it's extracted from hemp, BECAUSE hemp is legal now, not because it's somehow efficient or effective. Hemp is a strain of marijuana cultivated for its fiber. Both THC and CBD are (mostly) found in the flower of the plant. It would be much better to extract it from different strains, but that's just not feasible. I'm not confused, I don't know anyone (not that folks don't) who smokes CBD. It can be ingested as pills or food or applied to the skin. It's got some decent anti inflamitory effects and is supposedly pretty good for helping folks get to sleep.

They are one of my all time favorites. Didn't know they helped cure heroin though. Just goes to show you learn something new everyday.

A-269915-1528597622-6055.jpeg.jpg

Reactions: idigtigs

I'm pretty old (50+). I like weed much more than alcohol, but I don't LOVE weed. So it's just simply not worth the risk (which I grant you is very low). If the cops who arrest you get a bug up their asses, they CAN take everything you own. That's not likely, but possible. I'll just pass for now.

Big pharma can’t make much money on it hence FDA’s treatment of it

Psilocybin is extremely effective too but it’s treated the same way

Psilocybin has helped me overcome a lot of shit in my life, in addition to helping shape my worldview. Even bad experiences end up being worthwhile. It's something I think most people should try at least a couple of times. I do it 2-4 times a year and every time I do it I bring something positive back with me. If it was socially acceptable I would advocate it to virtually everyone I know.

Last edited:

Fwiw, the people who smoke pot because they like getting high are going to smoke pot whether it's legal or not. I would also imagine a decent percentage of those people will have health problems later in life that could mitigated by smoking pot. I would like to be able to medicate myself with pot if I'm in that group when I'm older, without having to worry about getting arrested. it's pretty short sighted to assume that every cannabis advocate is only in it to get high.

The enthusiastic marijuana conversations on here (really, just on the internet) are always entertaining. Maybe one way to improve them would be if there were more research, but I'm not sure how much people would really care if that research didn't say what they wanted it to.

https://www.nap.edu/catalog/24625/the-health-effects-of-cannabis-and-cannabinoids-the-current-state

THIS. Excellent point. And it brings up some interesting discussions of its own.

One of the BIGGEST pet peeves that the pro legalization crowd has is actually about research. Marijuana was essentially made illegal in in 1937 with very little fanfare.

I actually wrote a research paper on it on college as part of the debate team (where oddly enough, I was on the prohibition side and completely kicked the pro legalization side's ass ... mostly because they were a bunch of stoners).

The measure was debated all of 10 minutes in congress including the testimony of the American Medical Association (who claimed rightly that he had no idea whether the drug was harmless or not because nobody gave enough of a crap to do research on it). Unsurprisingly this act was found to be unconstitutional years later, but then marijuana was placed on the new Schedule of Drugs in the 1970s as a schedule I drug with no medical uses. AGAIN, no research was done, but marijuana was placed in Schedule I as a "place holder" while the President (Nixon) formed a commission to investigate where it should REALLY belong.

The Schafer Commission not only found that marijuana didn't fit into the category of Schedule I, but actually questioned whether it should be regulated as a drug at all. Nixon ignored the commission's findings and so marijuana remained a Schedule 1 drug.

So marijuana got to the place it is in our society with basically no research to back that placement up and what little research WAS performed actually indicated that it SHOULDN'T be where it is. BUT NOW, when there is an effort to change it, people site the need for a TON of research to prove it is not a hazard. And factor in the problem that as it is a schedule 1 drug, the government is unwilling to fund (or allow to be funded) the very research needed to determine the answers to how dangerous the drug is. That doesn't seem reasonable to me.

If you could show me that marijuana is somehow more harmful than our current batch of legal drugs, I'd be OK with keeping it illegal. I suspect that most people would not. Personally, while I do think that marijuana has some real health benefits for specific disorders (medical marijuana), I'm not convinced that it has any positive effects as a recreational drug. Just as with Alcohol, there's nothing positive that you get for doing it. It feels good. Period. You aren't smarter, more beautiful, more efficient, or a more useful member of society for doing it. In fact, while under the influence of marijuana, you are cognatively impaired (just as with alcohol). IMHO, that's not enough to make it illegal.

Nope. Wrong. We just had our department update at the medschool on marijuana. No medical use for thc. Cbd “May” allow a lower dose of traditional medicine in dravett seizure disorder. Y’all just use it recreationally for escapism and quit calling it medicine. Even the clone strains of gorilla glue, moon rocks, white widow, sour diesel and whatever loud/gas y’all use do not have consistent thx or cbd levels and the strains are cloned. That would be like saying “take 10-20 units of insulin and hope for the best. Epidiolex just makes people angry and I have seen several kids with seizures and special needs get worse. I realize people love it but again just push for recreational legalization 23 years and older and leave the medical part out. Under 23 years old has been shown to lower IQ on average 8 points permanently according to the duke study in New Zealand FYI. Let the bashing of me begin and thanks for reading! I hope somebody learned something. If not checkout drug abuse.gov for accurate information on the subject.

Nope. Wrong. We just had our department update at the medschool on marijuana. No medical use for thc. Cbd “May” allow a lower dose of traditional medicine in dravett seizure disorder. Y’all just use it recreationally for escapism and quit calling it medicine. Even the clone strains of gorilla glue, moon rocks, white widow, sour diesel and whatever loud/gas y’all use do not have consistent thx or cbd levels and the strains are cloned. That would be like saying “take 10-20 units of insulin and hope for the best. Epidiolex just makes people angry and I have seen several kids with seizures and special needs get worse. I realize people love it but again just push for recreational legalization 23 years and older and leave the medical part out. Under 23 years old has been shown to lower IQ on average 8 points permanently according to the duke study in New Zealand FYI. Let the bashing of me begin and thanks for reading! I hope somebody learned something. If not checkout drug abuse.gov for accurate information on the subject.
Thanks but
giphy.gif

What is all this “y’all” talk? You make it sound like the only people that think it should be legal are stoners.

LOL wut? You want people to read a government website? Yea that won’t be bias at all.

I feel you brother, but he's not wrong.

There are a ton of folks that are behind medical pot that ultimately want it completely legalized. I'm one of them, and I'd bet (if not the house, a substantial sum) that you are too.

That fact does NOT take anything away from the argument for medical weed. It is a very sound argument with a growing list of quality scientific knowledge and journal articles supporting it.

There's a difference between medicine and recreational and it is reflected in the national poles. According to the Pew research center (@orangelvis : Primary Source fact checked at least biased/most accurate by media fact check), 62% of Americans support legalizing weed (Oct 2018). BUT about 90% support some form of legalized medical marijuana according to WebMD (@orangelvis : This one is interesting... I couldn't find good number quicklys on this... The article I read this in DID NOT source their numbers, so this is at least a 2ndary source and could be tertiary... I'm also not sure of the accuracy of WebMD... It would be fair to question these numbers for sure... I have seen that 90% bandied about, but that means nothing)

Pew Research

WebMD

All marijuana should be completely legal. There is not one single legitimate reason that anyone can give as to why it shouldn’t be.

I hear ya, but you are asking us to believe evidence from the AMA, an organization founded by John D Rockefeller with the intention to control the pharmaceutical market as proof?

The government says that the plant they've outlawed has no medicinal benefits. Don't believe me, check the government website.

Haha, okay.

OK, show me. I gave my opinion (which is worth exactly NOTHING). But I backed it up with evidence from a double blind clinical trial. FYI, the FDA has approved at least one medication that contains cannabinoids in liquid form. That sounds like a little bit more than "may" on the CBD. Here's the quote from their site (link to the full article from FDA.gov below):

"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today approved Epidiolex (cannabidiol) [CBD] oral solution for the treatment of seizures associated with two rare and severe forms of epilepsy, Lennox-Gastaut syndrome and Dravet syndrome, in patients two years of age and older. This is the first FDA-approved drug that contains a purified drug substance derived from marijuana. It is also the first FDA approval of a drug for the treatment of patients with Dravet syndrome."

So with respect, your dept update sounds like bullshit to me, unless the FDA just decided to approve it as a joke.

As to the IQ stuff, here's an article refuting your statement about lowering IQ. It's from the American Academy of Sciences which is pretty reputable. Here's a quote from the abstract (link to the full article below).

"Marijuana-using twins failed to show significantly greater IQ decline relative to their abstinent siblings. Evidence from these two samples suggests that observed declines in measured IQ may not be a direct result of marijuana exposure but rather attributable to familial factors that underlie both marijuana initiation and low intellectual attainment."

The point about teen IQ's is kind of moot anyway. I haven't seen one single person suggest that minors should be smoking pot. And your comment on "escapism" is just crap. Unless everyone who has a glass of wine or a couple of beers at the end of the day is doing the same thing. Are there folks who smoke and drink too much to escape their everyday lives? Absolutely. Is that the norm? I don't think so.

I'm not sure I understand your comment on consistent THC/CBD concentrations. I bet opium poppies don't have consistent levels either, but somehow we are able to provide precise medical doses of morphine. I suspect in medical cases this would also be true for marijuana. And in recreational cases, it shouldn't matter a lot. You aren't buying this from a dude off the street any more. THC/CBD levels are clearly displayed on legally purchased pot. And even if those are off a bit, it would be like drinking a 5% alcohol by volume beer vs a 6 or 7%. Most people wouldn't even notice.

FDA source

PNAS source

Last edited:
Reactions: CU All Day
Yes, it's extracted from hemp, BECAUSE hemp is legal now, not because it's somehow efficient or effective. Hemp is a strain of marijuana cultivated for its fiber. Both THC and CBD are (mostly) found in the flower of the plant. It would be much better to extract it from different strains, but that's just not feasible. I'm not confused, I don't know anyone (not that folks don't) who smokes CBD. It can be ingested as pills or food or applied to the skin. It's got some decent anti inflamitory effects and is supposedly pretty good for helping folks get to sleep.
I sell hemp/CBD flower right downtown in Clemson (at the Zen Den)...it can most definitely be smoked. I also carry the oils, waxes (for dabbing or vaporizing), lotions, and CBD Juul pods. I sell vastly more CBD/hemp flower than I do anything else, and it is most definitely smoked. I usually have 3-4 different varieties/strains of hemp flower available at any given time.

Reactions: hopefultiger13
I sell hemp/CBD flower right downtown in Clemson (at the Zen Den)...it can most definitely be smoked. I also carry the oils, waxes (for dabbing or vaporizing), lotions, and CBD Juul pods. I sell vastly more CBD/hemp flower than I do anything else, and it is most definitely smoked. I usually have 3-4 different varieties/strains of hemp flower available at any given time.

Cool deal. I stand corrected on the smoking part for sure. When I do smoke, I'm smoking to get high, so I don't have a lot of experience with the CBD part of things.

Also, the hemp/CBD flower that is legal is the exact same thing as marijuana, the growers have simply selectively bred the THC out of the plant and focused on breeding higher levels of CBDs (which are the primary medicinal compounds within the plant). Your standard marijuana will be high in THC and relatively low in CBD...the hemp flower being produced simply flips the script. It is also very different from industrial hemp, although it can be classified as such because it falls below the .3% THC threshold required under federal law.

What do you suggest CBD-wise for insomnia?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT