ADVERTISEMENT

Weed #9: Teen Addition

hopefultiger13

The Jack Dunlap Club
Gold Member
Aug 20, 2008
Pocatello, ID
A new short term study out in JAMA (Journal of the American Medical Association) Pediatrics. FYI, this is the gold standard of medical research. Showing that marijuana use among teens is flat in states with medical marijuana laws and actually decreases in states with legalized recreational laws.

I freaking can't believe that Idaho State doesn't have a JAMA subscription, so I can't actually access the complete study. But here's the abstract and methods section here:

(click)

Cliff Notes (Discussion Section):

Consistent with the results of previous researchers,2 there was no evidence that the legalization of medical marijuana encourages marijuana use among youth. Moreover, the estimates reported in the Table showed that marijuana use among youth may actually decline after legalization for recreational purposes. This latter result is consistent with findings by Dilley et al4 and with the argument that it is more difficult for teenagers to obtain marijuana as drug dealers are replaced by licensed dispensaries that require proof of age.6

Bottom line: SURPRISE! Yet another major talking point of the anti legalization crowd bites the dust in the cold light of scientific study. Not that this will stop people from making the argument anyway.

Edit: the title of the thread would be better if I'd called it Teen Use instead of Teen addiction.

Reactions: yoseftiger
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT