ADVERTISEMENT

Weekend Music Thread

scartiger

Woodrush
Gold Member
Jan 12, 2010
Hope everyone has a great weekend!

For at least 1 day in New York, Grand Funk Railroad was bigger than The Beatles. It had taken the Beatles 80 days to sell out the Shea Stadium. It had taken Grand Funk only 72 hours. According to stadium police officials, "It looked like World series fever all over again." In short, when tickets went on sale at Shea Stadium it was a veritable riot! More than 21,000 fans showed up on Saturday morning, June 5, 1971, when the sixteen ticket booths opened. 12.000 had spent the nigh to outside the stadium camping out in bags, tents and blankets, in order to assure themselves seats for the concert. Licence plates, of every concieveable type of vehicle crowding the parking lot, showed that fans had come from New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Vermont, New Hampshire, Delaware, Maryland, Rhode Island, and Ohio. Sid Bernstein, promoter of the concert, the same man who brought The Beatles to Shea, affirmed. "This has broken every record we ever set with The Beatles. I would never say that anyone is more popular than The Beatles, but, Grand Funk's fans certainly have responded more quickly and with a different kind of enthusiasm." "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" vs. I'm Your Captain". In the long run, we all known who won, if in fact it ever was an issue, but GFR was a huge band, 50 years ago today in NYC.

On June 5, 1975, Pink Floyd was recording their "Wish You Were Here" album at Abbey Road Studios in London. Syd Barrett, who at this time in his life was heavyset, with a completely shaved head and eyebrows wandered into the studio while the band was recording. Because of his drastically changed appearance, the band could not recognise him for some time. When they eventually recognised Barrett, Roger Waters was so distressed he was reduced to tears. Apparently, when "Wish You Were Here" was played, "Sid stood up and said, 'Right, when do I put my guitar on?'" Richard Wright recalled. "And of course, he didn't have a guitar with him. And we said, 'Sorry, Syd, the guitar's all done.'" Wright has also said "Roger Waters was there, and he was sitting at the desk, and I came in and I saw this guy sitting behind him--huge, bald, fat guy. I thought, "He looks a bit...strange..." Anyway, so I sat down with Roger at the desk and we worked for about ten minutes, and this guy kept on getting up and brushing his teeth and then sitting--doing really weird things, but keeping quiet. And I said to Roger, "Who is he?" and Roger said "I don't know." and I said "Well, I assumed he was a friend of yours," and he said "No, I don't know who he is." Anyway, it took me a long time, and then suddenly I realised it was Syd, after maybe 45 minutes. He came in as we were doing the vocals for "Shine On You Crazy Diamond", which was basically about Syd. He just, for some incredible reason he picked the very day that we were doing a song which was about him. And we hadn't seen him, I don't think, for two years before. That's what's so incredibly weird about this guy. And a bit disturbing, as well, I mean, particularly when you see a guy, that you don't, you couldn't recognise him. And then, for him to pick the very day we want to start putting vocals on, which is a song about him. Very strange." The picture below is of Syd.

The Rolling Stones were in the studio recording the song "Sympathy For The Devil" on June 5, 1968, when they changed the lyrics due to the news they had just hears from America. The favorite for the Democratic party nomination for President, Sen. Robert Kennedy, had been shot just after midnight on June 5th, after a speech in Los Angeles. Mick Jagger added the line that would end up as "Who killed the Kennedys" after Kennedy died the following day. The assassination also inspired David Crosby to write "Long Time Gone" for Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young. It was a sad and scary day. Do you remember where you were when you heard that Bobby Kennedy had been shot 53 years ago?

It has been 19 years since the music world lost Dee Dee Ramone. Dee Dee was a founding member of and the bassist for The Ramones. It was Dee Dee who first suggested naming the band the Ramones, after reading that Paul McCartney often signed into hotels under the alias "Paul Ramon". He added an 'e' to the end of that surname and the band members all agreed to adopt the surname "Ramone" as a means of conveying their unity. Dee Dee wrote or co-wrote much of the Ramones' repertoire, such as "53rd and 3rd" (a song about male prostitution at 53rd Street and 3rd Avenue in Manhattan, allegedly based on personal experience), "Glad to See You Go" (written about his then-girlfriend, a stripper and fellow drug user with a volatile personality), "It's a Long Way Back to Germany", "Chinese Rocks" (originally recorded by Johnny Thunders and The Heartbreakers, as guitarist Johnny Ramone was not enthusiastic about the Ramones doing songs about drugs) and "Wart Hog" (a song Dee Dee wrote in rehab). After he quit the Ramones, Dee Dee continued to write songs for them, contributing at least three songs to each of their albums. Dee Dee passed away on June 5, 2002 at the age of 50. RIP Dee Dee. Thank You for the music.

You ever wonder how many up and coming artists listened to their critics? We know that Elvis Presley didn't. Milton Berle's final show of his 'Texaco Star Theater' TV aired on June 5, 1956. Elvis Presley appeared on the show performing his brand-new song, "Hound Dog," and also "I Want You, I Need You, I Love You." Elvis' hip-swinging dancing to "Hound Dog" shocked the audience and the nation, leading the press to describe it as "like the mating dance of an aborigine" and that the singer clearly had "no future in the music business." The press (critics) didn't have a clue 65 years ago today either. Here is part of the broadcast.

Possibily the best first date ever……. well it was kinda like a date... On June 6, 1962, The Beatles, having been rejected by Decca Records, auditioned for EMI, recording four demos. It was the first time the band ever recorded at Abbey Road Studios. They recorded three original compositions called "Love Me Do," "Ask Me Why," and "P.S. I Love You," and a cover of the standard "Besame Mucho." Producer George Martin was not at the session, but was called in by engineer Norman "Hurricane" Smith when he heard something he likes in "Love Me Do." Martin was not impressed with the group's songwriting, scruffy outfits, and even scruffier equipment (one of the band's amps blows during the audition), and he tells them so, finishing, "Look, I've laid into you for quite a time, you haven't responded. Is there anything you don't like?" To which George replied, "I don't like your tie!" The tension is broken, and Martin, charmed by the group's personality, agrees to work with them. (Though he later says, "They were pretty awful. I understand why other record companies turned them down.") So besides being their first time with George Martin which we all know how that worked out, the lads were paid £7.10 ($12,07US) each for the session. This session had Pete Best on drums and Martin was unimpressed with him which would soon lead to Pete being removed from the band. So, 59 years ago today, The Beatles had their 'first date' with Sir George Martin and made almost 50 bucks US!! (The picture is not from that first session and is used for reference only)

He was the definition of "Rock Royalty". It was 15 years ago, on June 6, 2006 that we lost the legendary Billy Preston. Billy was a virtuoso keyboardist, particularly on Hammond organ. He was recognized as a top session musician in the 1960s, during which he backed artists such as Little Richard, Sam Cooke, Ray Charles and The Beatles. He then went on to achieve fame as a solo artist, with hit pop singles including "That's the Way God Planned It", "Outa-Space", "Will It Go Round in Circles", "Space Race", and "Nothing from Nothing". In addition, Preston co-wrote "You Are So Beautiful", which became a number 5 hit for Joe Cocker. Preston continued to record and perform with other artists, notably George Harrison after the Beatles' break-up, and Eric Clapton, and he played keyboards for The Rolling Stones on many of the group's albums and tours during the 1970s. Alongside Tony Sheridan, Preston was the only other musician to be credited on a Beatles recording. The artists on the number-one hit "Get Back" are given as "The Beatles with Billy Preston". Since Sheridan was labeled alongside "The Beat Brothers", Preston is, strictly speaking, the only artist to be labeled explicitly with "The Beatles". That is why many call Billy "The 5th Beatle". RIP Billy. You were a gift to all of us.

John Lennon, Zappa and The Turtles (kinda) Frank Zappa & The Mothers of Invention played two shows at New York City's Fillmore East on June 5 & 6, 1971. The concerts were being recorded for the LP "The Mothers, Fillmore East June 1971. On the night of the 6th, as an encore, John Lennon and Yoko Ono emerged from the wings to play a half hour set with the band. This part of the show was also recorded and released under Lennon's name on a disc called "Live Jam", which was included as a bonus disc with Lennon's album "Some Time in New York City." Some of the members of The Mothers were not aware the recordings with Lennon were going to be used by him, and never received any payment / royalties from the release. This is still one of those shows we wish we had a 'way back' machine for. Any of you there 50 years ago tonight?

David Bowie released his 5th LP "The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars" on June 6, 1972. The album title is often shortened to just "Ziggy Stardust". The theme of the LP is loosely based on a story of a fictional bisexual alien rock star named Ziggy Stardust. The album is considered by many among the greatest albums of Rock and Roll. It peaked at No. 5 in the UK but only made it to No. 75 in the US on the Billboard Music Charts. What are you memories of the LP? Happy 49th Birthday to "Ziggy and his Spiders"!!!

There are very few people who can be defined as a true Superstar. One of those who can be, Prince Rogers Nelson, was born 63 years ago today. We could go on for days about his music and his accomplishments, but we feel it is best to say it in just three words: He was Prince. He left us way to soon on April 21, 2016. . If you were to only hear one of his songs today to remember him by, which song would you want to hear? Happy Birthday Prince. We can only imagine the music you are making now.

This is one of those 'way back' machine moments… On June 7, 1969, over 100,000 people showed up in London's Hyde Park for the free concert which was the live debut of a new band called Blind Faith. The band featured Eric Clapton, Steve Winwood, Ginger Baker and Ric Grech. From what people who were there have said, the band wasn't ready to play live yet. Some times it just doesn't matter how good the parts are if the whole doesn't cut it. 52 years ago today. Amazing when you realize Cream was already history. You know we're gonna ask, any of you there for this concert? Ginger Baker

Today we are remembering the great Bob Welch who left us 9 years ago today on June 7, 2012. Bob was a former member of Fleetwood Mac, and he had a successful solo career in the late 1970s. His singles included "Hot Love, Cold World," "Ebony Eyes," "Precious Love," and his signature song, "Sentimental Lady." On June 7, 2012, at the age of 66, Welch ended his own life in his Nashville home at around 12:15 p.m. He was found by his wife, Wendy, with a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the chest; a nine-page suicide note and love letter had been written to his wife. According to her, Welch had had spinal surgery three months earlier, but doctors told him he would not get better. He was in serious pain and he did not want his wife to have to care for an invalid. Also, she believes that the pain medication pregabalin (Lyrica), which he had been on for six weeks, may have contributed to his death. When you remember Bob, what songs of his first come to your mind? RIP Bob. You are missed by so many.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.