**** What Clemson's coaches have told us this week

Cris_Ard

Owner - Publisher of Tigerillustrated.com
Staff
May 29, 2001
tigerillustrated.com
What Clemson's coaches have told us this week
By: Paul Strelow

Talking season said its formal goodbyes this week as coaches gave their final press conferences before opening kickoff.

On the No. 3 Clemson side, commentary shifted away from preseason preparation and directly toward Saturday's clash with No. 5 Georgia.

In this feature, Tigerillustrated.com weighs in with interpretation on what we've heard from coaches this week:

BRENT VENABLES

**** On expectations for his veteran defense ...

"A year ago we had nine new starters for the opener. Now we've got guys who've started a bunch of games. That part is great. But you still have to go earn it. You've got to fight for it, respond the right way, handle adversity, handle success -- the ebbs and flows of a season, and certainly the game. But I like our leadership. I like depth at a couple of spots. I think we have some playmakers in the secondary, at the second level, and up front. And I think we have some very elite players who are capable of playing at a high level.

"We don't talk about our potential. We talk about how our good players need to play well for us to be a really good unit. They don't have to play perfect, nobody does. We do have some guys who are capable of being elite players in college football at all three levels. But we haven't done it yet."

TI TRANSLATION: Clemson's defense has drawn a lot of praise this month. Its own coaches haven't held back, while Kirby Smart talked this week about feeling as is he's been watching some of the starters forever (he was clearly referencing Nolan Turner).

But we've all witnessed hyped players, groups and teams fall short before. And the last time we watched this defense, Ohio State was dragging it around the field.

Some of the pieces have changed, others have gotten healthy.

The motivational point remains, though, that this group still has to go out and prove it. We all expect Myles Murphy, Bryan Bresee and Andrew Booth to take major steps toward stardom.

They've still got to actually go do it.

This is the stage to provide supporting evidence.

====================================================================

**** On whether changes have needed to be made with exiled former Clemson corner Derion Kendrick starting for UGA ...

"We haven't focused on that at all. I don't know what that is. You still have to go out and play. It's not like we don't do a lot. We do a lot.

"Maybe he can give a 911 on personnel and strengths and weaknesses. I wouldn't know what that is. We're just going to focus on us from that standpoint."

TI TRANSLATION: Familiarity breeds co ... competitiveness, yeah, that's the word.

Kendrick is a trash-talker and has an edge about him. He was that way at Clemson, will be that way for the Dawgs. Reports vaguely suggesting that Kendrick has expressed eager anticipation in facing his old team paint a picture all parties reasonably would have expected, and nothing egregious about it. That's the nature of this beast. The feeling will probably be mutual in some respects.

Will he have any idea on the routes Clemson tends to run, and the difference in how he should guard Justyn Ross as opposed to Joseph Ngata or E.J. Williams? You'd think so.

Beyond that, though, here's arguing the Kendrick intel angle to predictably be overplayed.

His time on Clemson's defense was spent on technique, then mastering and processing his specific assignment off the play-call.

Frankly, opposing analysts have a better grasp of the big picture after film studies on tendencies than a player will, even more so at that position.

Signals are changed periodically, and the slate would be wiped clean in an offseason anyway.

Will Muschamp's presence on UGA's staff means much more as far as knowledge of Venables' system, Clemson's personnel and concepts that have worked before (see 2018 rivalry game, tempo and pre-snap movements).

Kendrick will be a popular storyline. But his value to the Dawgs is attempting to plug what we would deem the vulnerable position group in UGA's defense.

**** On the pecking order at several situational or backup positions ...

"I'm not going to get into all the personnel packages and stuff until we put something on tape. I don't think it serves us well to put all that out there yet. But we have a bunch of different options. You can look at whatever we were doing last year. Most of those guys are all back. So you can probably expect more of the same."

TI TRANSLATION: Look, no one wants to share trade secrets before such an important game. Public depth charts are worth less than the PDFs they're no longer printed on; coaching staffs produce and manipulate them for reaction by their own players (and their parents), not usually reflecting merit.

But to decline to even submit a trivial one -- as UGA withheld a depth chart for this week's media game notes -- makes a petty statement of its own.

Dabo Swinney went on UGASports.com and conducted a lengthy and insightful interview with Jim Donnan last month.

Plenty of their subscribers wondered why Smart wouldn't do the same.

This is who they are, that's why -- however much value you assign it in judging them as persons or professionals.

By the way, UGASports.com had you covered last week with their own projected depth chart: (https://clemson.rivals.com/news/week-1-projected-depth-chart)

TONY ELLIOTT

**** On the highlighted matchup between Clemson's offensive line and UGA's defensive front ...

"The biggest thing is, you have to keep them honest, and you have to set the tempo in the trenches. When we are at our best is when we are balanced and we can run the football. They were the No. 1 rush defense the last two years and they are built to stop the run. They support the run from the secondary level very, very well. But you are going to have to generate a run game. We saw that last year when we played up at Notre Dame. We didn't have enough of a run game to keep them honest, so you become one-dimensional.

"I don't think you are necessarily going to put a statistical number on it, but it's got to be effective. If you're effective, then it sets up some of your other things. It may not just be a traditional handoff that you're doing in the run game. It's your outlet screens and RPO game to supplement in the run game."

TI TRANSLATION: In the 2018 season championship against Alabama, Clemson posted 31 first-half points and had nine rushes -- only one of which went for more than 4 yards (Travis Etienne's 17-yard touchdown).

The offensive line was heralded for its strong showing that day.

The Tigers don't have to physically overwhelm up front to accomplish their mission.

But they do have to protect D.J. Uiagalelei. And the odds of winning are greatly improved the more one-on-one battles they win up front. UGA's front six will collect its majority share. Yet Clemson's line and tight ends have to win some in order to dictate what the Dawgs do defensively.

The swings and screens added to Etienne's repertoire last year figure to carry over -- Will Shipley anyone? -- while let's see what the Tigers can do with the quick game without a smaller glorified running back type at slot receiver who can burrow for the yardage.

Shipley, anyone?

**** On Shipley ...

"When you give him the ball, he is going to know what to do. He's like Travis (Etienne) as a freshman. You give Travis the ball as a freshman and he knew what to do. What impressed me is his understanding of defensive structure and anticipation in the blitz pick-up. I have no doubt that when the lights come on, it's not going to be too bright for Will Shipley.

TI TRANSLATION: We'll forgive Elliott for arguably a bit of revisionist history.

By our recollection, Etienne drew a lot of constructive criticism, ahem, for not going where he was supposed to go as a freshman. He just instinctively made something happen enough that that potential rewards compelled the Tigers to live with the mistakes.

Has Shipley's likely impact been overstated in this piece? Quite probably. Wasn't our intent.

Wait, did Elliott say Shipley impressed him with anticipation in blitz pick-up?

All bets are off.

DABO SWINNEY

**** On who will be Clemson's center ...

"We will probably have to play multiple centers during the game. We kind of know what we want to do but we'll roll someone out there and get it started and then go from there."

TI TRANSLATION: They know the combination they're going to try with Matt Bockhorst and someone else, be it projected starter from the spring Hunter Rayburn, freshman left guard Marcus Tate or undersized Mason Trotter.

But this situation hasn't been shored up enough to where they don't anticipate having to try other options.

Trial by fire. Or trial and error, however perhaps you want to look at it.

**** On whether Clemson and UGA should square off annually:

"Yes, no question. We have gone all the way out to (Texas) A&M, we have gone to Auburn and have done some kickoff classics. The fans love it. Anytime you play a quality opponent like we have over the years, sure. But Clemson/UGA is a tradition and there is a history there. There have been a lot of unbelievable moments in this rivalry over the years. When I got this job in 2008, people were talking about playing UGA in 2013. I remember that vividly. I am like I don't even know if I'm going to be the head coach in 2013 or be alive in 2013. So yes, it means a lot. Rivalries make college football fun."

**** On facing Muschamp, now as UGA's linebackers coach ...

"Happy for him and glad he was able to land at a great place like UGA. He has a great relationship with Kirby. That's a great opportunity for him. Will is a heck of a coach. It's a great opportunity for both of them."

TI TRANSLATION: Rivalries indeed make college football fun.

This one gets personal on a lot of levels for a lot of people.

It's almost here.

NOTE: Please do not copy/paste or summarize this article on other message boards or websites, as it is a direct violation of copyright laws. Thank you.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News