ADVERTISEMENT

When did conservatives become deficit spending liberals?

Casa_del_Tigre

The Jack Dunlap Club
Gold Member
Feb 3, 2017
Clemson
This is probably the most disappointing aspect of the Republican Party. People could look past their need to regulate social issues because they valued keeping the economy running. Now that Trump is president conservatives support Keynesian deficit spending and negative interest rates....

Conservatives are too stupid to realize Trump is a liberal.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...ngress-federal-debt-unsustainable/2582302001/

This is probably the most disappointing aspect of the Republican Party. People could look past their need to regulate social issues because they valued keeping the economy running. Now that Trump is president conservatives support Keynesian deficit spending and negative interest rates....

https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...ngress-federal-debt-unsustainable/2582302001/
As someone who once identified as a Goldwater Conservative it's tough to really find a place today. I supported gay marriage as someone who understands conservatives politics should (it's none of the governments damn business.) but spending vs. taxation is the issue.

I can't find anyone today that identifies as a far left or far right voter that is willing to have a conversation that includes money flowing out AND money flowing in.

I would guess the oil shortage in the late 70's as when both parties gave up on balancing spending and income. Bill Clinton did his part to get it back under control (not that facts mean anything after the Southern Strategy).

Then we got into middle east wars and Bush and Obama just couldn't get enough support (both parties) to reign anything in. In hindsight maybe I pull back a little support I had of Bush 43 since... ya know... we went into the wrong country. H.W. was a hell of a president though.

As someone who once identified as a Goldwater Conservative it's tough to really find a place today. I supported gay marriage as someone who understands conservatives politics should (it's none of the governments damn business.) but spending vs. taxation is the issue.

I can't find anyone today that identifies as a far left or far right voter that is willing to have a conversation that includes money flowing out AND money flowing in.

I would guess the oil shortage in the late 70's as when both parties gave up on balancing spending and income. Bill Clinton did his part to get it back under control (not that facts mean anything after the Southern Strategy).

Then we got into middle east wars and Bush and Obama just couldn't get enough support (both parties) to reign anything in. In hindsight maybe I pull back a little support I had of Bush 43 since... ya know... we went into the wrong country. H.W. was a hell of a president though.
I’m kind of the same as you with that. A moderate Democrat has more appeal to me today than a republican. Republicans are now all the bad economic policies along with dated social views.

It will be interesting to see how things turn out.

Dudes, let me let you in on a little secret. Conservatives always have been deficit spending liberals. The ones we elect anyway. Go back to Reagan and his cuts. EVERY Republican has the goal of cutting taxes (usually for the rich) but won't make cuts to spending. Democrats aren't much better.

Republicans never had a prayer to cut spending. Not with the vote count in the Senate. Rest assured, spending will never decrease. Not in our lifetimes. Blaming Republicans is naïve. You need to blame the public.

I’m kind of the same as you with that. A moderate Democrat has more appeal to me today than a republican. Republicans are now all the bad economic policies along with dated social views.

It will be interesting to see how things turn out.

A moderate Democrat would take away our right to own guns and stack the Courts with Activist judges who would strip away our Bill of Rights.

Common used left wing troll tactic is to pose as Republican who would prefer Democrat policies.

Republicans never had a prayer to cut spending. Not with the vote count in the Senate. Rest assured, spending will never decrease. Not in our lifetimes. Blaming Republicans is naïve. You need to blame the public.
Weird that the Republicans had the house and Senate and presidency during Trump's first two years didn't cut spending.

Reactions: nytigerfan

Time out kimosabe on calling Conservatives stupid. I'm a Conservative with libertarian ideas. I'm not stupid.

There is a whole lot of politics, media power and obstacles in the way of making any spending cuts. Absent of getting 60 Senators in the Senate to vote for spending cuts, we will never see ANY spending cuts. NEVER

It doesn't matter how many conservatives are in the house.

Learn some civics before you call me stupid.

Its a very complicated issue. I think its very apparent that Trump's tax plan is working and revenues have set records, but in spite of that we still hit a deficit for 2019. The huge interest payment on the national debt is a boat anchor pulling everything down. Getting a huge spending bill requires a lot of deal making and politicians like to spend in order to stay in office. The public votes on kitchen table issues and any talk of taking away money and/or benefits will upset them quick and most politicians do not have the guts to take on spending. Trump wanted to get money for military spending and over 600 billion the past 2 years. He said Obama let the military get degraded with no spending and all the military activity over the last 20 years. He had to make a deal with republicans that wanted money for certain causes and democrats who also wanted money. Now give Trump or any other President a line item veto and we would see some action for better or worse. Something will have to happen within the next 10 years as the national debt will get so large that it will pull the US economy down the drain and pull the world economy with it. We will see some momentous times possibly never seen before in the next 10 years or so.

I think Trump will be much more likely to tackle spending in his 2nd term.....think this is highly likely.

Recruiting website. How about we talk about religion? The thought that someone is going to be able to change my beliefs is pathetic. Politics would be 1B in that respect

Its a very complicated issue. I think its very apparent that Trump's tax plan is working and revenues have set records, but in spite of that we still hit a deficit for 2019. The huge interest payment on the national debt is a boat anchor pulling everything down. Getting a huge spending bill requires a lot of deal making and politicians like to spend in order to stay in office. The public votes on kitchen table issues and any talk of taking away money and/or benefits will upset them quick and most politicians do not have the guts to take on spending. Trump wanted to get money for military spending and over 600 billion the past 2 years. He said Obama let the military get degraded with no spending and all the military activity over the last 20 years. He had to make a deal with republicans that wanted money for certain causes and democrats who also wanted money. Now give Trump or any other President a line item veto and we would see some action for better or worse. Something will have to happen within the next 10 years as the national debt will get so large that it will pull the US economy down the drain and pull the world economy with it. We will see some momentous times possibly never seen before in the next 10 years or so.

I think Trump will be much more likely to tackle spending in his 2nd term.....think this is highly likely.

regarding you final statement,
I find it highly UNLIKELY.

Reactions: Rychek4
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT