ADVERTISEMENT

Where do you do your grocery shopping?

OP has grown on me. He always comes through on pics, and it's hilarious. Now I'm just waiting on an Angry Orchard drunk post at a sorority party with completely naked 20's.

Reactions: 0BB and johnhugh
Harris teeter online ordering is what my wife seems to go to. And lol at the try hards who can't go to bi lo etc due to some sort of faux snobiness.
I think Bi-Lo is about to go out of business, at least down here in Chas. The only one I go to has gone downhill since it opened (when Piggly Wiggly closed). It smells, it use to have a salad bar but now they chucked that, they took out the mini Starbucks, the hot bar is awful, the produce looks terrible and not fresh, and they don't seem to keep items in stock. They also never have enough employees and I never see a manager. They can have only 2 checkouts with 10 people deep and they never open a new line.

Also seems they have closed some stores down here. Wish they would close them all because they just don't seem to care. Really one of the worse grocery store chains. Hate that they took over half of the Piggly Wigglys and turned the stores into s$itholes.

I think Bi-Lo is about to go out of business, at least down here in Chas. The only one I go to has gone downhill since it opened (when Piggly Wiggly closed). It smells, it use to have a salad bar but now they chucked that, they took out the mini Starbucks, the hot bar is awful, the produce looks terrible and not fresh, and they don't seem to keep items in stock. They also never have enough employees and I never see a manager. They can have only 2 checkouts with 10 people deep and they never open a new line.

Also seems they have closed some stores down here. Wish they would close them all because they just don't seem to care. Really one of the worse grocery store chains. Hate that they took over half of the Piggly Wigglys and turned the stores into s$itholes.
Generally speaking the clientele is dependent on location. That's all I was saying. If you live in nice area you are more likely to have nicer stores.

Harris Teeter 95% of the time. Target/Publix/WalMart the other 5% but that's typically for one or two items that I forgot over the weekend and just run into the closest place to me.

Bi-Lo is now part of Southeastern Grocers, which operates out of Jacksonville. They own the Bi-Lo and Winn Dixie banners. They are really struggling right now with foot traffic and store sales. My guess is one of the major players (Kroger or Albertsons) buys them over the next couple of years to try to get into the Florida market, which Publix has a grocery stranglehold on.

Reactions: Tigers&Bravos
If it's not Publix, Harris Teeter, Fresh Market, or Whole Foods I'm not going. Ingles, Bilo, and Walmart has too many poor white trash types. I'd rather be around people that have standards. You're in college though OP, so you have a pass until you're at least late 20's.
Walmart is the embodiment of the American dream

Lowe's Foods and Fresh Market for meat and produce.

I pity everyone in the upstate who doesn't have Lowe's Foods. It blows Publix out of the water.

The upstate has 2 or 3 of them around Greenville. I've been to the one in Simpsonville.

Bi-Lo is now part of Southeastern Grocers, which operates out of Jacksonville. They own the Bi-Lo and Winn Dixie banners. They are really struggling right now with foot traffic and store sales. My guess is one of the major players (Kroger or Albertsons) buys them over the next couple of years to try to get into the Florida market, which Publix has a grocery stranglehold on.
Does Kroger own Harris Teeter? Would love to see the Bi-Los changed to Harris Teeters. HT took over 1/2 of the Piggly Wigglys and their stores are 100 times nicer and with better food choices and products.

Reactions: Tigers&Bravos
Does Kroger own Harris Teeter? Would love to see the Bi-Los changed to Harris Teeters. HT took over 1/2 of the Piggly Wigglys and their stores are 100 times nicer and with better food choices and products.

Yeah, they bought them 2 yrs back or so. They've done a good job of letting HT keep their identity. They've tweaked pricing some, but that really was it. If they buy a good banner (HT, Fred meyer, Ralph's, Mariano's) they generally let them do their thing. Bi-lo's and Winn Dixies are a mixed bag based on where you are at to @Howard's Jock point, so I'm not sure what they would do IF they purchased them.

Yes. Kroger bought them in 2013, but runs them as a separate brand because they are considered to be superior to a Kroger.

Yeah, they bought them 2 yrs back or so. They've done a good job of letting HT keep their identity. They've tweaked pricing some, but that really was it. If they buy a good banner (HT, Fred meyer, Ralph's, Mariano's) they generally let them do their thing. Bi-lo's and Winn Dixies are a mixed bag based on where you are at to @Howard's Jock point, so I'm not sure what they would do IF they purchased them.
The Bi-Lo I'm referencing is not necessarily in a bad area and will only get nicer as it's an area a lot of people are moving into and has many super rich as well. The Pig before it was much better & nicer. It does not take much to keep a store clean & staffed, which is why I wondered if Bi-lo in itself was going under.

Reactions: The Mixed Mamba
LOL that you got a "baby cart" for that many groceries...

Maybe it is just me but I feel like a man doesn't need a cart unless he is shopping for a family for a week. I usually end up with 20 things in my arms and fingers and if I can't pull it off, or it is more groceries than that... I go for the overloaded basket. After that it is a basket in each hand. Pushing around a grocery buggy just isn't my thing and it is a last resort. -Sort of like the unspoken rule that "a man must carry all the grocery bags in from the car in one trip." With a family of five sometimes I feel like I might not feel my finger tips for a week... but I am not going back to that car.

@Ron Munson, you seem to be the board expert on grocery store etiquette. Can I get a ruling here? Any rules for when and when not to use a buggy? We already know @amynhop has had grocery store issues...

As to the OP.. I try to never go but if I do... Publix or Harris Teeter. Wife likes Whole foods and Trader Joes as well.

Reactions: amynhop

You are correct bilo is in a lot of trouble. As @rladams5 said they are owned by Southeastern grocers, which also owns Winn-Dixie and Harveys. Bilo has made a lot of bad coorperate decisions that have hurt them. They wasted a ton of money on a Gnome training program that makes associates play little games and take training quizes everyday. Then they went in on the cooking with curtis campaign where they got a professional chef to advertise weekly meals for $10. Not a horrible idea but it really hasn't been worth the money they spent on it. Now they have gone all in on the Plenti cards and i think it will be the end of them honestly. They have gotten rid of the bonus cards and fuel perks which was the best thing the store had going for it. While the Plenti cards aren't bad and offer more options people lose out on the fuel perks and it was the biggest draw to the store. It will be interesting to see what happens I could be wrong and these plenti cards might help the company but I think it was a bad move that might further end the company.
Also Bilo has already had to close 1 store in columbia and switched 3 others over to Harvey's in the poorer areas of the city to try to attract them. Harvey's is a lower end version with a dollar aisle. They did all of this about 5-6 months ago so it will be interesting to see if it works out. Bilo in Columbia pretty much turned to Winn-Dixie a couple years ago when they merged it just kept the bilo name for band recognition but has pretty much all winn-dixie policies

Maybe it is just me but I feel like a man doesn't need a cart unless he is shopping for a family for a week. I usually end up with 20 things in my arms and fingers and if I can't pull it off, or it is more groceries than that... I go for the overloaded basket. After that it is a basket in each hand. Pushing around a grocery buggy just isn't my thing and it is a last resort. -Sort of like the unspoken rule that "a man must carry all the grocery bags in from the car in one trip." With a family of five sometimes I feel like I might not feel my finger tips for a week... but I am not going back to that car.

@Ron Munson, you seem to be the board expert on grocery store etiquette. Can I get a ruling here? Any rules for when and when not to use a buggy? We already know @amynhop has had grocery store issues...

As to the OP.. I try to never go but if I do... Publix or Harris Teeter. Wife likes Whole foods and Trader Joes as well.
Shit on that. I must not be manly because i will grab a cart if i'm getting more than two things. Ain't trying wear my arms out. And I like to do the ole one leg up lean when acting as if I'm thinking about what to buy as the ladies walk by.

You are correct bilo is in a lot of trouble. As @rladams5 said they are owned by Southeastern grocers, which also owns Winn-Dixie and Harveys. Bilo has made a lot of bad coorperate decisions that have hurt them. They wasted a ton of money on a Gnome training program that makes associates play little games and take training quizes everyday. Then they went in on the cooking with curtis campaign where they got a professional chef to advertise weekly meals for $10. Not a horrible idea but it really hasn't been worth the money they spent on it. Now they have gone all in on the Plenti cards and i think it will be the end of them honestly. They have gotten rid of the bonus cards and fuel perks which was the best thing the store had going for it. While the Plenti cards aren't bad and offer more options people lose out on the fuel perks and it was the biggest draw to the store. It will be interesting to see what happens I could be wrong and these plenti cards might help the company but I think it was a bad move that might further end the company.
Also Bilo has already had to close 1 store in columbia and switched 3 others over to Harvey's in the poorer areas of the city to try to attract them. Harvey's is a lower end version with a dollar aisle. They did all of this about 5-6 months ago so it will be interesting to see if it works out. Bilo in Columbia pretty much turned to Winn-Dixie a couple years ago when they merged it just kept the bilo name for band recognition but has pretty much all winn-dixie policies
I thought Winn-Dixie was already gone. I have not seen a Winn-Dixie in about 20 years.

Shit on that. I must not be manly because i will grab a cart if i'm getting more than two things. Ain't trying wear my arms out. .

I am not arguing it is smart. Just something I do that I can't explain but I have seen other men doing it too.

And I like to do the ole one leg up lean when acting as if I'm thinking about what to buy as the ladies walk by.

Now that is funny! One leg up lean.... hahaha. Any luck with that one?

Reactions: ARWtiger
I am not arguing it is smart. Just something I do that I can't explain but I have seen other men doing it too.

Now that is funny! One leg up lean.... hahaha. Any luck with that one?
Oh no, no luck...I'm just there to look. Its why I tell my wife I'll go grocery shopping for her. One of the simple pleasures as a married man is checking out the grocery shopping scene

There is one on St. Simons and I really can't think of another off the top my head.
When I was a kid use to be all over the place in Charleston but they all left (or were bought out) over 20 years ago. Still remember that my mom would shop there if she were making steaks - they did have great steaks/beef department.

Reactions: casellers84
OP you have the diet of a 12 year old boy. I see a lot of constipation in your immediate future.

As far as my shopping, anything in a package comes from Amazon or Costco. Fruits and Veggies from the farmer's market. And meats & seafood from HT, Publix, WF, or Trader Joe's. Depending on which one I'm in the mood for. I go to a butcher's shop once every two months or so and try to rack up as well.

Similar choices...... except trade Publix with Ralph's.

But my ace in the hole is my new pimped out Target in my neighborhood. It's killed the Ralph runs for a bunch of things.

Yeah, you would know it better than any. Also trying to go "clean store" in Winn Dixies didn't help. Then the Australian guy came over and tried to squeeze all the manufacturers for $ would up backfiring bc a lot took their promotional dollars to other customers. It's been a tough run, but I hope you guys can bounce back. All this consolidation isn't good IMO.

I thought Winn-Dixie was already gone. I have not seen a Winn-Dixie in about 20 years.

They scaled back but still have a decent footprint, mainly in northern and central FL. The issue is that in some of their stores you can lay down in an aisle to take a nap and not get run over by a grocery cart bc all the shoppers are at Publix or WM.

Reactions: kingkyle1008

yHQk3Lp.png

Totally reformed now. And I think of Ron and board every time I return cart.

I prefer Publix but it's 30 min away. I do most of my shopping there but in a pinch, I go to Ingles, 5 min away.

It's a relatively new one and decent.

So.... last week I pull up in parking space at Ingles and open my door to get out.

My door lightly brushed the passenger side mirror of the car beside me.

It did NO damage. I looked up and saw a woman sitting in the passenger seat, very irate and mouthing at me.

I threw up my arms and smiled and said, "I'm sorry" and went in Ingles.

When I came out, apparently the beeatch had keyed my car. I was livid.

Talked to manager in store about running the surveillance video, which they did, but didn't see it.

Have a guy in my neighborhood that owns a body shop and he always gives us a great deal.

Said my entire door would have to be redone ( scratch is down in metal ) and it would be 400 bucks.

If I could could find that woman I would be meeting her in the Wachovia parking lot. @Steven15

Ingles for most things as our local Ingles is well run and a great meat department and always organized and clean. Don't do Wal-Mart....Costco for some things and a local little country store with nice butcher shop...small never frozen chickens are great for beer can or Spatchcock chickens...also will cut up chickens family style (like grandmother and mother did with pulley bone, split breast, 2 thighs, 2 legs.)

yHQk3Lp.png

I prefer Publix but it's 30 min away. I do most of my shopping there but in a pinch, I go to Ingles, 5 min away.

So.... last week I pull up in parking space at Ingles and open my door to get out.

It did NO damage. I looked up and saw a woman sitting in the passenger seat, very irate and mouthing at me.

Talked to manager in store about running the surveillance video, which they did, but didn't see it.

Have a guy in my neighborhood that owns a body shop and he always gives us a great deal.

Said my entire door would have to be redone ( scratch is down in metal ) and it would be 400 bucks.

If I could could find that woman I would be meeting her in the Wachovia parking lot. @Steven15
This looks like one of @appalachiatiger posts..lol

yHQk3Lp.png

Did she look like this?

5800fad59fe98.image.jpg

Fresh Market (closest) - $2.99 Tuesdays for beef & chicken, $3.99 lb of bacon with 2nd pound free on Saturday, alcohol, desserts
Trader Joes (second closest - but those ****ers don't even have tinfoil and ziplocks) for vegetables, fruit, cheese, kid's lunches, and alcohol
Aldi (which owns Trader Joes) for the best deal on canned goods, paper plates, pasta, rice, tinfoil, ziplocks, 2nd half of kid's lunches
Target - paper towels, Kodiak pancakes, toilet paper

ADVERTISEMENT