ADVERTISEMENT

Why Bernie Rules:)

appalachiatiger

Woodrush
Jan 7, 2009
Asheville NC
McDonald's Can't Figure Out How Its Workers Survive on Minimum Wage

Well this is both embarrassing and deeply telling.

In what appears to have been a gesture of goodwill gone haywire, McDonald's recently teamed up with Visa to create a financial planning site for its low-pay workforce. Unfortunately, whoever wrote the thing seems to have been literally incapable of imagining of how a fast food employee could survive on a minimum wage income. As ThinkProgress and other outlets have reported, the site includes a sample budget that, among other laughable assumptions, presumes that workers will have a second job.

mcdonaldssamplemonthlybudget.jpg

As Jim Cook at Irregular Times notes, the $1,105 figure up top is roughly what the average McDonald's cashier earning $7.72 an hour would take home each month after payroll taxes, if they worked 40 hours a week. So this budget applies to someone just about working two full-time jobs at normal fast-food pay. (The federal minimum wage is just $7.25 an hour, by the way, but 19 states and DC set theirs higher).

A few of the other ridiculous conceits here: This hypothetical worker doesn't pay a heating bill. I guess some utilities are included in their $600 a month rent? (At the end of 2012, average rent in the U.S. was $1,048). Gas and groceries are bundled into $27 a day spending money. And this individual apparently has access to $20 a month healthcare. McDonald's, for its part, charges employees $12.58 a week for the company's most basic health plan. Well, that's if they've been with the company for a year. Otherwise, it's $14.

Now, it's possible that McDonald's and Visa meant this sample budget to reflect a two-person household. That would be a tad more realistic, after all. Unfortunately, the brochure doesn't give any indication that's the case. Nor does it change the fact that most of these expenses would apply to a single person.

Of course, minimum wage workers aren't really entirely on their own, especially if they have children. There are programs like food stamps, Medicaid, and the earned income tax credit to help them along. But that's sort of the point. When large companies make profits by paying their workers unlivable wages, we end up subsidizing their bottom lines.

The true minimum wage is always zero.

Whether the kommissars admit it, or just double down on their conceit.

Best to figure out what equals "value" in the opinion of your fellow citizens, and find a way to be one who serves those neighbors and delivers that value.

All else is conceit and self delusion. The true minimum wage is zero - just ask all those drones and fast food robots emerging on the west coast.

These are not career positions. They are entry level positions. If you want a "livable wage" get a better job.

intended for high school kids honestly. Hell Chick Fil a has positions where high school kids make $15 an hour if they do their job and earn their way up

Raise the minimum wage and expect to order from a machine at fast food restaurants. Technology will take jobs. For example...this week I checked in the night before at my hotel, I got a text when room was ready, walked into my hotel, clicked on my app and opened my digital key, walked up to my room, clicked the unlock and walked in. Never even talked to anyone at the front desk my entire stay.

$15 an hour is not the answer. It will just handcuff companies forcing them to either invest in more technology solution for long term gains or working people to death because they cannot afford to pay enough to properly staff the operation

Person wants a better job and want to make a good income...work your way up the ladder. Show up on time, have a good attitude, work your butt off, don't complain, don't cause drama, take pride in your personal appearance, talk like an adult with proper complete sentences, and take pride in what you do. Stop making excuses and stop having a hand out feeling entitled mentality. What is funny is the democratic party was responsible for slavery and that is exactly what they want you to be. Now it is just a slave to the government. They want you to be reliant on their programs. Most of them are exactly who they want poor people to hate especially Hillary Clinton. The republican party was founded on freedom...amazing how that is lost these days. $15 minimum wage is not all of the sudden going to motivate someone to work harder or learn how to manage their money and live a better life

Now neither party is what it used to be but they still have their foundations.

Last edited:
McDonalds is an entry position. If you're staying there for a career, you have seriously low expectations of yourself and seriously high expectations you'll be taken care of. The human spirit aspires for more than flipping burger and changing fries. Why don't people get this? It is not a career and if you work there, you should have another job... one with a damn future!

The true minimum wage is always zero.

Whether the kommissars admit it, or just double down on their conceit.

Best to figure out what equals "value" in the opinion of your fellow citizens, and find a way to be one who serves those neighbors and delivers that value.

All else is conceit and self delusion. The true minimum wage is zero - just ask all those drones and fast food robots emerging on the west coast.

be interestng to see what the true value of a days labor would be without government influence.

also be interesting to see what the cost of a doctors visit would be?

what about the cost of gasoline? or even our fresh produce, like corn?

how would a free market look 250 years later?

Reactions: my95GTHO
intended for high school kids honestly. Hell Chick Fil a has positions where high school kids make $15 an hour if they do their job and earn their way up

Raise the minimum wage and expect to order from a machine at fast food restaurants. Technology will take jobs. For example...this week I checked in the night before at my hotel, I got a text when room was ready, walked into my hotel, clicked on my app and opened my digital key, walked up to my room, clicked the unlock and walked in. Never even talked to anyone at the front desk my entire stay.

$15 an hour is not the answer. It will just handcuff companies forcing them to either invest in more technology solution for long term gains or working people to death because they cannot afford to pay enough to properly staff the operation

Person wants a better job and want to make a good income...work your way up the ladder. Show up on time, have a good attitude, work your butt off, don't complain, don't cause drama, take pride inn your personal appearance, talk like an adult with proper complete sentences, and take pride in what you do. Stop making excuses and stop having a hand out feeling entitled. What is funny is the democratic party was responsible slavery and that is exactly what they want you to be. Now it is just a slave to the government. They want you to be reliant on their programs. Most of them are exactly who they want poor people to hate especially Hillary Cinton. The republican party was founded on freedom...amazing how that is lost these days. $15 minimum wage is not all of the sudden going to motivate someone to work harder or learn how to manage their money and live a better life

yep eventually most service sector jobs will be replaced by touchscreens, apps, and robots.

managers will have to be trained to manage computer, apps, machines, more so than people in the near future.

developing new industries to handle the transfre of labor force is going to be critical

throwing in a bunch of refugees and immigrants is going to stress our credit rating

McDonalds is an entry position. If you're staying there for a career, you have seriously low expectations of yourself and seriously high expectations you'll be taken care of. The human spirit aspires for more than flipping burger and changing fries. Why don't people get this? It is not a career and if you work there, you should have another job... one with a damn future!
@Willence

micky d's is an awesome company! i would love to work for them! they are one of the badges of capitalism in our history.

its sad to see them flounder. just glancing at their leadership team will tell you that they have choppy waters ahead.

they have enormous resources, be fun to fix and put them back at the forefront of fast food!

make fast food exciting again!

These are not career positions. They are entry level positions. If you want a "livable wage" get a better job.

these should be career jobs that people fight for!

to interact with as many hungry americans as you can as fast as you can.

keep the wheel turning turnng as fast as it can go!

McDonald's Can't Figure Out How Its Workers Survive on Minimum Wage

Well this is both embarrassing and deeply telling.

In what appears to have been a gesture of goodwill gone haywire, McDonald's recently teamed up with Visa to create a financial planning site for its low-pay workforce. Unfortunately, whoever wrote the thing seems to have been literally incapable of imagining of how a fast food employee could survive on a minimum wage income. As ThinkProgress and other outlets have reported, the site includes a sample budget that, among other laughable assumptions, presumes that workers will have a second job.

mcdonaldssamplemonthlybudget.jpg

As Jim Cook at Irregular Times notes, the $1,105 figure up top is roughly what the average McDonald's cashier earning $7.72 an hour would take home each month after payroll taxes, if they worked 40 hours a week. So this budget applies to someone just about working two full-time jobs at normal fast-food pay. (The federal minimum wage is just $7.25 an hour, by the way, but 19 states and DC set theirs higher).

A few of the other ridiculous conceits here: This hypothetical worker doesn't pay a heating bill. I guess some utilities are included in their $600 a month rent? (At the end of 2012, average rent in the U.S. was $1,048). Gas and groceries are bundled into $27 a day spending money. And this individual apparently has access to $20 a month healthcare. McDonald's, for its part, charges employees $12.58 a week for the company's most basic health plan. Well, that's if they've been with the company for a year. Otherwise, it's $14.

Now, it's possible that McDonald's and Visa meant this sample budget to reflect a two-person household. That would be a tad more realistic, after all. Unfortunately, the brochure doesn't give any indication that's the case. Nor does it change the fact that most of these expenses would apply to a single person.

Of course, minimum wage workers aren't really entirely on their own, especially if they have children. There are programs like food stamps, Medicaid, and the earned income tax credit to help them along. But that's sort of the point. When large companies make profits by paying their workers unlivable wages, we end up subsidizing their bottom lines.
These are typically jobs filled by teenagers...or they at least used to be before minimum wage hikes will make them go the way of the dinosaur.

Reactions: nmerritt11
ummm, you do realize that it's not nearly that simple for many living in a perpetual cycle of poverty? Many are working there out of necessity, not because they love working at Mcdonald's.
working at mcdonalds means you are either a chef, a sous chef and if you work the counter you have excellent customer service experience.

be easy to switch careers, but why switch? mcdonalds is coming on strong in like 20 years

I know people in the trucking industry...being a truck driver may not be the most prestigious job but it can be lucrative. I know the owner of one company and deal with several others in our business..and they all state they cannot find people that #1 are willing to do the work #2 can pass a drug test and maintain drug free long enough to be employed.

There are opportunities out there is people want to invest in themselves. I don't like excuses like "the world is against me"

My dad worked 2 jobs for some of my early childhood and now has a successful business. He came from the mill village and worked his way up with no degree.

There is an entitlement problem in society

These are typically jobs filled by teenagers...or they at least used to be before minimum wage hikes will make them go the way of the dinosaur.

shouldnt look at it like that

thats the front line of your business

simply looking at the corporate structure, first thing that needs to be done is firing 75% of those who have a desk that work for mcdonalds.

transfer that money into hourly wages, but mostly into benefits for employees

and they need to make sure they maximize their opportunity of allowing hourly employees to purchase stock in the company.

ummm, you do realize that it's not nearly that simple for many living in a perpetual cycle of poverty? Many are working there out of necessity, not because they love working at Mcdonald's.
It literally is that simple. There are numerous sites that a person can find entry level positions where the company is willing to train. All a person needs is to have at least a GED. Work during the day, study for your GED test at night and before you know it you are no longer taking my order while bitching about the pay.

I know people in the trucking industry...being a truck driver may not be the most prestigious job but it can be lucrative. I know the owner of one company and deal with several others in our business..and they all state they cannot find people that #1 are willing to do the work #2 can pass a drug test and maintain drug free long enough to be employed.

There are opportunities out there is people want to invest in themselves. I don't like excuses like "the world is against me"

My dad worked 2 jobs for some of my early childhood and now has a successful business. He came from the mill village and worked his way up with no degree.

There is an entitlement problem in society
totally agree

but we advance as a civilization so that each generation has an easier life than we did before.

looking into your childs eyes and having a vision of wha the future holds should remain in your mind even if you look into the eyes of a neighbors child.

convictions should remain constant

Reactions: my95GTHO
totally agree

but we advance as a civilization so that each generation has an easier life than we did before.

looking into your childs eyes and having a vision of wha the future holds should remain in your mind even if you look into the eyes of a neighbors child.

convictions should remain constant

Haha my kids allowance is performanced based.

exactly, but should we work towards fine tuning a free market thats fair from top to bottom?

or should the government cut a check to balance the books?

Fair? WTF is fair? So we assume that everyone puts forth the same effort? Works the same hours? Invests the same amount of personal money in a start? Nothing is fair for those reasons I mentioned? Fair my GD ass. The Feds have already fvcked everything up as it is. Fair. LMAO.

You give your kids an allowance? Mine do chores to cover room/food/utility costs and taxi service. Haha

It's minimal trust me! Just enough to motivate them

Haha! But we make it known that they are working for the above mentioned things ha

Reactions: bron90
Fair? WTF is fair? So we assume that everyone puts forth the same effort? Works the same hours? Invests the same amount of personal money in a start? Nothing is fair for those reasons I mentioned? Fair my GD ass. The Feds have already fvcked everything up as it is. Fair. LMAO.
Life isn't fair!! You make your own brakes!!!

Person wants a better job and want to make a good income...work your way up the ladder. Show up on time, have a good attitude, work your butt off, don't complain, don't cause drama, take pride inn your personal appearance, talk like an adult with proper complete sentences, and take pride in what you do. Stop making excuses and stop having a hand out feeling entitled. What is funny is the democratic party was responsible slavery and that is exactly what they want you to be. Now it is just a slave to the government. They want you to be reliant on their programs. Most of them are exactly who they want poor people to hate especially Hillary Cinton. The republican party was founded on freedom...amazing how that is lost these days. $15 minimum wage is not all of the sudden going to motivate someone to work harder or learn how to manage their money and live a better life

Wow, Ole Tom is doing more these days than just leaving the light on for you! j/k

showscan.php

Reactions: nmerritt11
It literally is that simple. There are numerous sites that a person can find entry level positions where the company is willing to train. All a person needs is to have at least a GED. Work during the day, study for your GED test at night and before you know it you are no longer taking my order while bitching about the pay.

It's really easy for people from a position of privilege to tell those of lower socioeconomic statuses how "simple" it is to improve their lives. It's virtually never that easy. But you're clearly set on a specific mindset (as am I) so I'd rather not argue it any longer.

It's really easy for people from a position of privilege to tell those of lower socioeconomic statuses how "simple" it is to improve their lives. It's virtually never that easy. But you're clearly set on a specific mindset (as am I) so I'd rather not argue it any longer.
Please elaborate on this whole "position of privilege". You sound like a Bernie snowflake.

Please elaborate on this whole "position of privilege". You sound like a Bernie snowflake.

Privilege, in this case, would be growing up in a middle or upper class background (as I'm sure the majority of this board did) and having better access to education, housing, etc.

and cool ad hominem with the "Bernie snowflake" comment. Yes, I lean left. But no, I'm not really a Bernie supporter. I find many in his base to be pretty insufferable because it's clear that they don't even really understand the rhetoric they've attached themselves to. To his credit, though, I do find Bernie himself to be genuine. Which is a rarity these days in politics.

Last edited:
t
I lived in a trailer for the better part of my childhood. Then got messed up with drugs and was pretty much the poster child for poverty. Dont act like only ppl of privilege are the only one capable of moving forward. I wish ppl like you would stop coming up with excuses and start holding ppl to a standard again.

I work at McDonalds 40 hours a week, just for the fun of it. I won the Texas lottery in 2010 , so I don't even cash my Mickey Dee's pay Checks.
They letting me off next week to take a cruise.

. I find many in his base to be pretty insufferable because it's clear that they don't even really understand the rhetoric they've attached themselves to.
And yet you're doing just that...

There are thousands of stories where prople of "privilege" don't take advantage of their opportunities and countless more stories of people growing up in poverty pulling themselves out.

I'm tired of the "It's the system's fault." excuse. It's literally crippling young people when you have leaders of this country saying they are the victim.

t

I lived in a trailer for the better part of my childhood. Then got messed up with drugs and was pretty much the poster child for poverty. Dont act like only ppl of privilege are the only one capable of moving forward. I wish ppl like you would stop coming up with excuses and start holding ppl to a standard again.

There are obviously exceptions in every walk of life. Your success in the face of adversity is truly impressive and commendable. Ben Carson, though I despise his politics, is another fantastic example of working your way out of a seemingly unthinkable position of poverty and personal tragedy. My problem is that the majority of these "personality responsibility" people I come across grew up with a tremendous amount of privilege (that they often refuse to acknowledge as a foundation of their success) and then they set these crazy-high standards for how poor people should behave and work that they themselves couldn't come close to meeting if in the same position. I mean, for christs sake, half the people arguing in this thread spend seemingly half their "work" day on a college football message board--not that i'm faulting them for that cause I'm guilty of doing it a lot, too. There just seems to be this strange double standard.

That was a bit of a tangent so I guess my main point is this: Inequality is certainly just a part of life, but that doesn't mean the enormous gap that this country currently endures can't be lessened or improved.

ADVERTISEMENT