ADVERTISEMENT

Will Gundy get the same reaction Dabo got?

I don't think he's wrong in his approach. He's making a plan. That plan starts on May 1st. If it moves, fine, but if he can work his plan, it starts May 1. Now his plan could fail, but you have to start somewhere.

TN schools still haven't officially ended school like some other states. We're due back on 4/24 and everyone is skeptical it'll happen, but you gotta have a target.

I don't think he's wrong in his approach. He's making a plan. That plan starts on May 1st. If it moves, fine, but if he can work his plan, it starts May 1. Now his plan could fail, but you have to start somewhere.

TN schools still haven't officially ended school like some other states. We're due back on 4/24 and everyone is skeptical it'll happen, but you gotta have a target.

I mean, kind of. Yes, plan. You post is 100% correct. Need a plan and need to work it. But you lose credibility as a leader if your plan includes unrealistic goals. I would describe a full return to practice in 3 weeks as unrealistic.

I mean, kind of. Yes, plan. You post is 100% correct. Need a plan and need to work it. But you lose credibility as a leader if your plan includes unrealistic goals. I would describe a full return to practice in 3 weeks as unrealistic.

I wasn't judging his leadership or plan efficacy ;)

edit: I also think that Oklahoma is one of the least stringent on quarantine at the moment

As an aside, I think some people conflate reporting facts with being a pessimist - or worse yet “pulling for the virus” (very bizarre take here).
I’ve casually spoken to a few people who know about infectious disease and public health than me, and the thought is that right now it’s probably 50/50 that we will have football starting on time, if at all

As an aside, I think some people conflate reporting facts with being a pessimist - or worse yet “pulling for the virus” (very bizarre take here).
I’ve casually spoken to a few people who know about infectious disease and public health than me, and the thought is that right now it’s probably 50/50 that we will have football starting on time, if at all
The truth is more important than facts.

you are absolutely right. The hard part for me is wading through sources in all of this stuff and who to trust. So much info can be a bad thing

Reactions: ChicagoTiger85
It’s amazing to me how people don’t get how these coaches are approaching this situation. Gundy is the third coach I’ve heard with this approach, the other two are Dabo and Mack Brown. They plan the earliest possible date and acknowledge that they may have to adjust. That way you are always prepared and keep the 18-21 year old players fully engaged on their preparation while they are outside of their normal oversight . What message would that be to your program if a coach said we probably won’t start the season till October or November or maybe not at all. How would your players be preparing now if that were the case?

None of the coaches are going to mandate players come back until the health experts and school presidents approve. But there is nothing wrong with planning for the earliest possible date to return and be flexible in adjusting.

Last edited:
I post facts. I’m not being negative at all. I guarantee though there are some people pulling for bad results to use against you know who.

Reactions: Tkinard43
I post facts. I’m not being negative at all. I guarantee though there are some people pulling for bad results to use against you know who.

I wasn’t talking about anyone in particular. Just a general comment

No because he's not as outspoken about his faith. 90% of the vitriol directed at Dabo is because he wears his faith on his sleeve. Dabo could say "Good Morning" and alot of people would lose their shvt about it.
Right. Because in a country of 85% of the people are religious they are persecuted for their beliefs

Right. Because in a country of 85% of the people are religious they are persecuted for their beliefs
That number seems high in my experience but I don’t feel like Christians are persecuted. Are there people who don’t like Dabo being outspoken about it? Sure, but they are the noisy minority.

Reactions: my95GTHO
That number seems high in my experience but I don’t feel like Christians are persecuted. Are there people who don’t like Dabo being outspoken about it? Sure, but they are the noisy minority.
74% are Christians. I added the Mormons/Muslims/ect as they are the same in my book.

74% are Christians. I added the Mormons/Muslims/ect as they are the same in my book.
Maybe it’s semantics as I don’t consider that many people “religious”. I was raised in a household that identified Christian but that was about it. The number of people that are all in, pun intended, to the extent that Dabo is seems to be much smaller to me.

Maybe it’s semantics as I don’t consider that many people “religious”. I was raised in a household that identified Christian but that was about it. The number of people that are all in, pun intended, to the extent that Dabo is seems to be much smaller to me.
I guess in the same sense you are not a Clemson fan unless you donate money/go to games regularly. "Religious" is just the belief, nothing more, as I understand the definition.

Good for Gundy. This virus is a total overreaction.

Sorry, but at a 50:50 chance and you are paid millions to motivate football players, you stop planning on the starting date?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT