ADVERTISEMENT

Will people actually cancel or alter their holiday plans?

The government isn't doing this. The virus is. Why are you blaming the government for the problems caused by the virus? Seems like a completely misplaced thing to do.

so the virus is telling me how many people I can have at my house for Thanksgiving? Forcing business owners to close their doors

It’s making business owners close at a certain time, telling them how many people they can have in their establishment, that strip clubs are safer than churches...Sams, Costco, and grocery stores are more important than other business’, that people can go to this place and not that one, that mask don’t keep you safe while walking around a restaurant but they do at the table?

I mean this virus is one hell of a smart virus if it’s telling us all those things. I’m sure it told NY to force nursing homes to take Covid patients without proper staffing, equipment, and PPE too.

Manipulation at its finest.

so the virus is telling me how many people I can have at my house for Thanksgiving? Forcing business owners to close their doors

It’s making business owners close at a certain time, telling them how many people they can have in their establishment, that strip clubs are safer than churches...Sams, Costco, and grocery stores are more important than other business’, that people can go to this place and not that one, that mask don’t keep you safe while walking around a restaurant but they do at the table?

I mean this virus is one hell of a smart virus if it’s telling us all those things. I’m sure it told NY to force nursing homes to take Covid patients without proper staffing, equipment, and PPE too.

Manipulation at its finest.
None of these restrictions would be in place if not for the virus. You can argue of course about how effective each of the policies are you are talking about, and you'd definitely have some points. But to just skip past the actual root of the problem and act like the reactionary policies are all to blame for the bad things is just so unproductive.

I can't wait for the vaccine so I can just move on with my life. So tired of everyone upset because of the restrictions put in place.

None of these restrictions would be in place if not for the virus. You can argue of course about how effective each of the policies are you are talking about, and you'd definitely have some points. But to just skip past the actual root of the problem and act like the reactionary policies are all to blame for the bad things is just so unproductive.

I can't wait for the vaccine so I can just move on with my life. So tired of everyone upset because of the restrictions put in place.

They just released vaccine will have a ton of side effects. No thanks for me....I’ll keep living life and if I get it I’ll get it. If it takes me out I’ll miss Clemson football and TI a bunch.

Just out of curiosity, how many of those on here who say they are traveling have at least taken covid tests?

Why would you take a test if you have no symptoms? I know I won’t be taking one. Can’t imagine many will.

I dont want to shut down. I have one kid in day care full time and one kid in school full time. We go about our business wearing masks, doing as much outside as we can. We avoid eating in restaurants, we avoid indoor gatherings. We don't want anything to shut down. Sadly it is not my call. If there is a huge spike after thanksgiving, someone else is going to make that decision for you and me.

Maybe where you live, but SC will not be shutting down.

Why would you take a test if you have no symptoms? I know I won’t be taking one. Can’t imagine many will.
Because 40% of people with the virus never show symptoms or know they have have it but can spread it to others (old people, etc) that can become very sick from it. It’s just common courtesy at the very least

Reactions: dpic73
Because 40% of people with the virus never show symptoms or know they have have it but can spread it to others (old people, etc) that can become very sick from it. It’s just common courtesy at the very least

Testing healthy people who have no symptoms is so far beyond ridiculous. All the media fear being thrown out there every day is because of positive tests.

Well, we are sticking close to home on Thanksgiving. Out here in Idaho our hospitals are damn near full, but the scary thing is that being a rural community (that's pretty much all of Idaho but Boise) we ship a LOT of patients South to Salt Lake City or West to Boise. Utah is in a state of emergency and can't take our people any more. Boise hospitals are also almost full. We are right at that edge where that curve gets above the dotted line on the graph. Add in the normal flu season and we are in trouble.

I don't get my information from the news either. My wife's PhD is in Public Health, and she's been freaking out since February. FWIW, she agreed with Trump on the summer prediction that COVID would settle down a bit over the summer and come back in the fall. In her opinion, this last summer WAS the virus being less effective. If we don't get that vaccine out and distributed quickly, we are going to be in deep shit come January and February with the spread at maximum and the health care system (and by that she means the people running it) exhausted by the last year and simply not able to do any more.

We will see. I hope you internet warriors are correct and this is a big old nothing burger. I hope that none of you guys end up killing some of your family and friends (or yourselves) by insisting on acting like everything is normal.

The thing is that if Trump came out and asked everyone to wear masks and limit travel for the good of the country, we wouldn't even be having this conversation. Trump would be reelected, and the US would be having only "flairups" here and there instead of on the way to breaking the records for cases, hospital intakes, and deaths that we had this spring (we were over 2000 deaths yesterday and I believe the biggest day was 2600 back in the spring). It's a damn shame this thing became political.

What’s the percentage of survival? Sorry, you don’t shut things down to keep people above 80 alive. What you do is quarantine them. Protect them.

The percentage of survival is about 99%. I think a little higher. You've never heard me say shut everything down. I agreed with the early shutdown simply because we didn't know the mortality rate. But now that it's known, we definitely don't need to do that. But I do think we should show some common sense. Socially distance when you can. Wear a mask . You have to go out and get groceries and the things to make life happen. Hell, we are ordering out more than usual to keep our favorite restaurants open.

But things are not normal. We are closing in on 300K dead in the last year. That's not a trivial number. It's not a "bad" flu season. It's a pandemic. All I'm saying is that like most things, you don't take chances you don't have to. You get groceries, you buy the things you need. You send your kids to school. You go to work. But you DON'T go to hang out in large crowds. You keep the social interactions to a minimum when you can. Common sense, not Trump politics.

Testing healthy people who have no symptoms is so far beyond ridiculous. All the media fear being thrown out there every day is because of positive tests.
I'm not talking about people playing with numbers. I'm talking about protecting the vulnerable

What’s the percentage of survival? Sorry, you don’t shut things down to keep people above 80 alive. What you do is quarantine them. Protect them.
Protect them from people who come visit them for thanksgiving without even checking to see if they have a virus that could kill them. Old people are vulnerable. Don’t let your false pride harm them

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT