ADVERTISEMENT

Yard Gnats...

Jan 16, 2005
I moved into a new house this spring in Lexington. Yard is rather sandy. The gnats in the front yard can be unbearable at times. Any suggestions on what to do? I know mosquito sprays don't seem to work. We've done citronella candles and other online DIY sprays. The boys love to play basketball but the gnats can be quite the hindrance.

Try a product with Bifenthrin. Commercial grade can be purchased at Ewing Irrigation or Site One

I moved into a new house this spring in Lexington. Yard is rather sandy. The gnats in the front yard can be unbearable at times. Any suggestions on what to do? I know mosquito sprays don't seem to work. We've done citronella candles and other online DIY sprays. The boys love to play basketball but the gnats can be quite the hindrance.

You must close to Gilbert. I use to teach/coach there and learned to write on the board with one hand and swat gnats with the other.

97-Talstar-P-Pint.jpg.thumb_1024x1024.jpg

https://www.domyown.com/talstar-professional-insecticide-p-97.html#gallery-1

I spray the whole lawn with Talstar, linked above. It has Bifenthrin in it. I also spray the house foundation and soffits, it will keep away wasps and spiders, bugs from the door entrances, etc.

This will eradicate fire ants and keep them away for 3-4 months as well.

Reactions: Dackel and Tiger212
You must close to Gilbert. I use to teach/coach there and learned to write on the board with one hand and swat gnats with the other.
Yes I do. Got an old house that was being gutted and remodeled on Calks Ferry. My family and I love the place and the location and land but the gnats are miserable.

We had a mosquito misting system installed around the whole house/yard and it really helped. It's not 100% on gnats, but wayyyy better than it was before. And very few mosquitos.

I spray the whole lawn with Talstar, linked above. It has Bifenthrin in it. I also spray the house foundation and soffits, it will keep away wasps and spiders, bugs from the door entrances, etc.

Is this stuff expensive? Also how does it work on fleas and ticks? Also how long before you can let pets on after spraying? I have a dog that loves to eat grass.

There is a generic version on Amazon... I tried to link it but for some reason it won't show up...
Just search Bifen IT... 3/4 gallon will spray a crap load of area... $44

I sprayed our yard 4 months ago and haven't seen the 1st fire ant since. Nothing has worked as good as spraying Talstar...not baits, or anything.

BTW, does Talstar work on mole crickets?

Pelion is swamped with sand gnats too. And I live on Sandspur rd. Everything is sand. Gnats aren't bad during the day but from about 6 or 7 on they are fierce.

I'm gonna have to try th stuff mentioned above

Last edited:
Reactions: Tdriver
Mosquito Squad of Columbia. They use Bifen, Suspend Poly which lasts longer, and an IGR that keeps the eggs from hatching. About 60-70 bucks a treatment but works.

Is this stuff expensive? Also how does it work on fleas and ticks? Also how long before you can let pets on after spraying? I have a dog that loves to eat grass.

Link above to the product shows the price and has a link to the label, its definitely wayyyy cheaper than buying granular 'Over & Out' to cover the same area at the correct rates required to last a few months.

I don't know whether the label says anything about flea/ticks, but my Golden Retreiver hasn't had a problem with either for years now and she stays outside.

I do not let her outside until after anything I spray (fertilizer, herbicide, insecticide) has dried on the grass. Never let them out when its wet. If your pet eats a lot of grass, then you may want to wait until after a good rain washes it off the leaves and into the soil.

Reactions: Pvilletigerfan
I sprayed our yard 4 months ago and haven't seen the 1st fire ant since. Nothing has worked as good as spraying Talstar...not baits, or anything.

BTW, does Talstar work on mole crickets?

It will tend to wear off by about 4 months, so keep an eye out for ant hills. I typically go at label rate in late April and then have to do it again by Aug 1.

Yes it does work on mole crickets too, at the same 1oz/1000sqft rate.

It will tend to wear off by about 4 months, so keep an eye out for ant hills. I typically go at label rate in late April and then have to do it again by Aug 1.

Yes it does work on mole crickets too, at the same 1oz/1000sqft rate.

Is there a certain time of year to use Talstar on the yard for mole crickets?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT