ADVERTISEMENT

YOU CAN'T MAKE THIS STUFF UP ABOUT A TRUE LOWLIFE

He's a bad dude. Personally I see nothing wrong with celebrating/appreciating the public exposure (no pun intended) of bad dudes. It's a public service.
Hey LW, I don’t think anyone believes that he is a “good dude”, I said as much. As you are aware, I spent a long time in “public service”, protecting people who certainly fell in to the “bad dude” category by strict definition. I’m not going to list the names, but a couple are still in the news right now. You know who they are.

I actually felt bad (and still do) for these guys, and especially their families. That’s who gets eaten up in this stuff. Seen it first hand...ugly.

Additionally, I know a good number of Liberty grads and kids that are going there right now. They are embarrassed and ashamed. It’s too bad because there a lot of fantastic folks at Liberty. They do great work around the world.

Sometimes I think we all have the tendency to devolve everything these days in to a game, where we take sides, cheer for our team, denigrate the other side and exult in the flaws and futility of our “opponents”. The last time I checked, we were all on the same team. I mean this board is supposedly all Clemson fans, but it gets down right ugly on here very quickly.

So much for Falwell. Like I said, “I had a bad feeling from the get go”. But I’m not clean enough to throw any stones. I’m excited for those in the crowd that are. BillyD. Go Tigers! (Please spot the ball).

Hey LW, I don’t think anyone believes that he is a “good dude”, I said as much. As you are aware, I spent a long time in “public service”, protecting people who certainly fell in to the “bad dude” category by strict definition. I’m not going to list the names, but a couple are still in the news right now. You know who they are.

I actually felt bad (and still do) for these guys, and especially their families. That’s who gets eaten up in this stuff. Seen it first hand...ugly.

Additionally, I know a good number of Liberty grads and kids that are going there right now. They are embarrassed and ashamed. It’s too bad because there a lot of fantastic folks at Liberty. They do great work around the world.

Sometimes I think we all have the tendency to devolve everything these days in to a game, where we take sides, cheer for our team, denigrate the other side and exult in the flaws and futility of our “opponents”. The last time I checked, we were all on the same team. I mean this board is supposedly all Clemson fans, but it gets down right ugly on here very quickly.

So much for Falwell. Like I said, “I had a bad feeling from the get go”. But I’m not clean enough to throw any stones. I’m excited for those in the crowd that are. BillyD. Go Tigers! (Please spot the ball).

I don't consider Falwell an opponent at all. I just like it when slimeballs of any persuasion are exposed as such.

Met him once. Not impressed in the least. Got a bad feeling from the get go. And I have the God given ability to read people very well. It’s referred to as “emotional intelligence”. That being said, I’m very disappointed in some people in this forum who are taking great pleasure in this man’s downfall. It’s a great insight in to your soul and true character. Isaiah 5:20 says, “Whoa to those who call evil good and good evil, who substitute darkness for light and light for darkness.” In other words, do not rejoice in iniquity. BillyD

Screw that. These evangelicals who do nothing but demonize good people and then turn around and behave the same way behind closed doors deserve every bit of the scorn heaped upon them. The Falwells in particular, but evangelicals in general, belong in hell if there is one.

Reactions: CodingTiger
Agree completely on Falwell and hypocrisy in general. I Imagine Falwell and Clinton would be good friends and are two of the biggest liars walking around, while both have huge admiration from a large segment of the population.

The difference, OBVIOUSLY, is that Bill Clinton hasn't made a fortune preaching racism, bigotry, intolerance and hatred. He's a sleazy dude, no doubt. But there is a difference.

Wasn't Falwell already publicly embarrassed in the late 80s? I remember Lewis Grizzard making fun of him and Jim Baker pretty regularly.

Wasn't Falwell already publicly embarrassed in the late 80s? I remember Lewis Grizzard making fun of him and Jim Baker pretty regularly.

Falwell wasn't publicly embarrassed by poor personal behavior (that I can recall), but the Supreme Court famously ruled against him, and in favor of Larry Flynt, in the landmark case about free speech and parody of public figures.

Jim Bakker continues to be a scumbag.

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/11/8145...-jim-bakker-for-selling-fake-coronavirus-cure

Reactions: IMBlessed
Screw that. These evangelicals who do nothing but demonize good people and then turn around and behave the same way behind closed doors deserve every bit of the scorn heaped upon them. The Falwells in particular, but evangelicals in general, belong in hell if there is one.

When HIV came to the US and cases exploded, there was a very small but vocal minority who espoused the belief that the whole epidemic was due to homosexual males who abused drugs and had indiscriminate sex and lead a generally sinful life. It was further implied, or even said, that anyone who was gay or had HIV deserved to die because they were immoral sinners and "bad" people.
You sound just like the people who were saying that then and say similar things now.

@okclem ,” but evangelicals in general, belong in hell if there is one”. Really? Just to let you know, I serve as Director of Executive and Major Event Security for Samaritan’s Purse and The Billy Graham Evangelistic Association.

So by your definition, in general, I belong in hell. Correct? As well as my wife and daughters? I sincerely hope that you don’t really believe that statement. And by the way, our Head football coach is a Christian too...as well as the majority of his staff. Peace be with you. Go Tigers!! BillyD

@okclem ,” but evangelicals in general, belong in hell if there is one”. Really? Just to let you know, I serve as Director of Executive and Major Event Security for Samaritan’s Purse and The Billy Graham Evangelistic Association.

So by your definition, in general, I belong in hell. Correct? As well as my wife and daughters? I sincerely hope that you don’t really believe that statement. And by the way, our Head football coach is a Christian too...as well as the majority of his staff. Peace be with you. Go Tigers!! BillyD

Evangelicals are not Christians.

I have to ask what that even means?

It means they aren't true Christians. They practice a bastardized version of christianity that sits in perpetual judgment of others, attempts to influence legislation & politics, and essentially ignores all the stuff about love, tolerance and forgiveness that true Christians practice.

My interpretation of who is and who isn't an evangelical is certainly open to scrutiny, but odds are if you attend Liberty or Bob Jones for example, because you like what they have to say, you are not a true Christian.

It means they aren't true Christians. They practice a bastardized version of christianity that sits in perpetual judgment of others, attempts to influence legislation & politics, and essentially ignores all the stuff about love, tolerance and forgiveness that true Christians practice.

My interpretation of who is and who isn't an evangelical is certainly open to scrutiny, but odds are if you attend Liberty or Bob Jones for example, because you like what they have to say, you are not a true Christian.

The reason that I ask is that there are a bunch of denominations of Christianity and I've never heard Evangelical referenced as one. There are only two places that I've heard this term used in my entire life.

1. On the internet as a label ascribed to a straw man of behavior seen as unfavorable to Democrats

2. When people talk about evangelism via sharing the Gospel as Jesus commanded via The Great Commission.

Because of #2, anybody who is doing what they are supposed to do as a Christian will identify with some form of evangelism which is why #1 falls in the standard playbook of Democrats over the last decade:

a) Create a cause
b) Make it virtually impossible to prove or disprove
c) Ascribe tons of bad behavior to it
d) Convince people that they should hate anyone that doesn't agree with them

The above is the rinse and repeat approach to social media and the internet that Democrats have used to support their policies and whip people into a fervor for the last 10 years. It's why virtually nothing in any of their platforms holds up against logical scrutiny, economics or math. They depend entirely upon your emotional instability and rage.

What you're doing right now is the textbook result of that type of influence.

After some Googling, I did find this: https://www.nae.net/what-is-an-evangelical/

Which supports my lack of hearing this term used here, "In fact, many evangelicals rarely use the term “evangelical” to describe themselves, focusing simply on the core convictions of the triune God, the Bible, faith, Jesus, salvation, evangelism and discipleship."

The reason that I ask is that there are a bunch of denominations of Christianity and I've never heard Evangelical referenced as one. There are only two places that I've heard this term used in my entire life.

1. On the internet as a label ascribed to a straw man of behavior seen as unfavorable to Democrats

2. When people talk about evangelism via sharing the Gospel as Jesus commanded via The Great Commission.

Because of #2, anybody who is doing what they are supposed to do as a Christian will identify with some form of evangelism which is why #1 falls in the standard playbook of Democrats over the last decade:

a) Create a cause
b) Make it virtually impossible to prove or disprove
c) Ascribe tons of bad behavior to it
d) Convince people that they should hate anyone that doesn't agree with them

The above is the rinse and repeat approach to social media and the internet that Democrats have used to support their policies and whip people into a fervor for the last 10 years. It's why virtually nothing in any of their platforms holds up against logical scrutiny, economics or math. They depend entirely upon your emotional instability and rage.

What you're doing right now is the textbook result of that type of influence.

After some Googling, I did find this: https://www.nae.net/what-is-an-evangelical/

Which supports my lack of hearing this term used here, "In fact, many evangelicals rarely use the term “evangelical” to describe themselves, focusing simply on the core convictions of the triune God, the Bible, faith, Jesus, salvation, evangelism and discipleship."

LoL, straw man. That's classic.

There’s hypocrisy on both sides of the aisle(Clinton / Falwell), and I do believe that’s one thing ALL of us can agree on. If a person doesn’t see it then they are fooling themselves and lying to everyone else. It’s there in plain sight.

Do have to agree with @24TIGER , some people are delighting in the downfall as it’s being made public. I’m a conservative individual and didn’t delight in Clinton’s crap, I was embarrassed for his daughter and our country.

Agreed that there is hypocrisy on both sides. And Clinton deserved everything he got for desecrating the office.

Reactions: 24TIGER
Agreed that there is hypocrisy on both sides. And Clinton deserved everything he got for desecrating the office.
Everything he got? Hell the bastard came within a whisker of going back into the White House. I'd say he's had it pretty good since banging a chick 20 years his junior in the White House and not even getting butt raped in divorce court for it. He's like this damn virus...he just won't go the hell away.

Ah, yes.......it once WAS a big family. A beautiful thing.
And, in first hand experience.....in person.... it basically still is, for the most part.

But on here........brings out the worst in some.
Things are 'said' that would never be spewed in public. For any number of reasons.

Keyboards are the keys to the Devil's playground. : ( <<<only part in jest.

I had purposely intended to stay away from this thread.

Not all who claim to be Christians are. Should be easy to understand.

Your assumptions are quite amazing though and I have to ask a couple of questions, if you will.
1) What is YOUR version of Christianity? Do you have one?
2) How many versions of Christianity do you feel exist?
3) How do labels like Methodist, Reformed, Presbyterian, Catholic fit into any of the 'versions' you see? Any of those particularly bad ones? Others?

There's more, but some answers there would help me a bit.

The generalization of comments are quite confusing. Plus, you're using a pretty broad brush.

So......
Every Clemson fan is a good person?
All Clemson students are 'conservative' leaning?
Attending Liberty or Bob Jones demonstrates you are not a Christian?

I don't know you and you don't know me.
If I tell you I am Reformed Christian, struggling daily with the evil of this world and failing to be the person I long to be....why would you believe me?
If someone said you were a child trafficker, should I believe it?
If I claim to be 6-4, chiseled 245....does that mean I am?

Man, you're either really mad or more brilliant than anyone on here.
Maybe you intended to offend some folks. Maybe not.

As usual, I'm quite confused.
Some clarity would really be helpful to me, if you find time.

I had purposely intended to stay away from this thread.

Not all who claim to be Christians are. Should be easy to understand.

Your assumptions are quite amazing though and I have to ask a couple of questions, if you will.
1) What is YOUR version of Christianity? Do you have one?
2) How many versions of Christianity do you feel exist?
3) How do labels like Methodist, Reformed, Presbyterian, Catholic fit into any of the 'versions' you see? Any of those particularly bad ones? Others?

There's more, but some answers there would help me a bit.

The generalization of comments are quite confusing. Plus, you're using a pretty broad brush.

So......
Every Clemson fan is a good person?
All Clemson students are 'conservative' leaning?
Attending Liberty or Bob Jones demonstrates you are not a Christian?

I don't know you and you don't know me.
If I tell you I am Reformed Christian, struggling daily with the evil of this world and failing to be the person I long to be....why would you believe me?
If someone said you were a child trafficker, should I believe it?
If I claim to be 6-4, chiseled 245....does that mean I am?

Man, you're either really mad or more brilliant than anyone on here.
Maybe you intended to offend some folks. Maybe not.

As usual, I'm quite confused.
Some clarity would really be helpful to me, if you find time.

I'm not diving into my thoughts on all the denominations of christianity here, sorry. My post is specifically about Evangelicals, and I've said everything I have to say.

I'm not diving into my thoughts on all the denominations of christianity here, sorry. My post is specifically about Evangelicals, and I've said everything I have to say.
Fair enough.

Seems you have had bad experiences with some who would call themselves Evangelicals. I have too.

People label themselves all sort of ways. Often silly, sometimes accurate.

Doesn't make them all bad any more than it makes them all good.

FWIW, people that claim Christianity and don't even try grind my gears, too.

Reactions: okclem
Fair enough.

Seems you have had bad experiences with some who would call themselves Evangelicals. I have too.

People label themselves all sort of ways. Often silly, sometimes accurate.

Doesn't make them all bad any more than it makes them all good.

FWIW, people that claim Christianity and don't even try grind my gears, too.

It's not so much the claiming christianity and then not trying. It's the claiming christianity and then using that cloak to set about spreading hatred and judgment, and the ultimate reveal of flagrant hypocrisy we've seen from these people time and time again. Jim Baker, Jimmy Swaggart, Falwell Jr., etc. They weaponize religion against people that are different from them, make an obscene amount of wealth doing it, and eventually become embroiled in a scandal involving the very things they loudly condemn. And they have a powerful influence on our political system to boot. I could not possibly think less of these people.

It's not so much the claiming christianity and then not trying. It's the claiming christianity and then using that cloak to set about spreading hatred and judgment, and the ultimate reveal of flagrant hypocrisy we've seen from these people time and time again. Jim Baker, Jimmy Swaggart, Falwell Jr., etc. They weaponize religion against people that are different from them, make an obscene amount of wealth doing it, and eventually become embroiled in a scandal involving the very things they loudly condemn. And they have a powerful influence on our political system to boot. I could not possibly think less of these people.

I bolded and underlined their main goal. When you read up on these goons, and see what they do behind the scenes, and the dictators they work with abroad- it's easy to see that the "moral majority" marriage of evangelical christianity and politics was only about these people increasing their power, influence, and wealth. Jeff Sharlet's writings on these topics make this very clear. Read up on "The Family" and the sham that is the National Prayer Breakfast.

I bolded and underlined their main goal. When you read up on these goons, and see what they do behind the scenes, and the dictators they work with abroad- it's easy to see that the "moral majority" marriage of evangelical christianity and politics was only about these people increasing their power, influence, and wealth. Jeff Sharlet's writings on these topics make this very clear. Read up on "The Family" and the sham that is the National Prayer Breakfast.

Yes, the political influence is by far the most troubling development. I will read up on that. "The Family" that you speak of, is this the same "The Family" in the Netflix docuseries?

sounds an awful lot like way too many politicians

But then, we/they/people don't talk much about the 'good ones'.
Whether it's freshman OL that doesn't get noticed, or a truly Good Samaritan that we never hear about.

Evangelism is about spreading the Gospel and how GOD, the Holy Spirit uses the seeds that we sometimes plant even unknowingly. One often never knows how 'things' turned out.

I think you may be focused too much on those thoroughly disgusting characters that you mention.

There's a lot of good men and women serving their Country and their God with honor and effectiveness that we never hear about, much less talk about.

Might want to consider there are good ones too.

sounds an awful lot like way too many politicians

But then, we/they/people don't talk much about the 'good ones'.
Whether it's freshman OL that doesn't get noticed, or a truly Good Samaritan that we never hear about.

Evangelism is about spreading the Gospel and how GOD, the Holy Spirit uses the seeds that we sometimes plant even unknowingly. One often never knows how 'things' turned out.

I think you may be focused too much on those thoroughly disgusting characters that you mention.

There's a lot of good men and women serving their Country and their God with honor and effectiveness that we never hear about, much less talk about.

Might want to consider there are good ones too.

All due respect, man, why are you assuming I'm unaware of the good ones? This thread is about one of the bad ones. I'm just staying on topic here. I also understand the difference between traditional evangelism and contemporary Evangelicals.

Reactions: tigerworx
Yes, the political influence is by far the most troubling development. I will read up on that. "The Family" that you speak of, is this the same "The Family" in the Netflix docuseries?

Yes. I didn't like the netflix series nearly as much as the book. "The Family" and "C Street" are the books of his that touch on this particular topic. His most recent book, "This Brilliant Darkness" is excellent, but completely different. He's also done a lot of coverage of Trump rallies.

Reactions: okclem
I am a Christian and have attended a Baptist church all of my life. We are very conservative. I don't consider myself "evangelical". Unfortunately, the word has been politicized in a negative way by the left to describe uneducated, backwards thinking Christians.

Reactions: Pawsto1
I am a Christian and have attended a Baptist church all of my life. We are very conservative. I don't consider myself "evangelical". Unfortunately, the word has been politicized in a negative way by the left to describe uneducated, backwards thinking Christians.

Call them whatever you want, they're still a bunch a racist, slimebag crooks.

Reactions: AustinTiger77
i would have thought this thread would have been forgotten by now

ever time i see it pop up

i get a sour taste in my mouth

these types of humans....

anyway

blahh

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT