ADVERTISEMENT

A basket of not so deplorables after all...

Willence

The Jack Dunlap Club
Gold Member
Dec 26, 2003
If you're into politics and you don't read Ruy Teixeira you're making a mistake. The guy is a political wiz and he has helped Democrats with some of the greatest victories in the past. His politics may not align with yours if you are conservative but he serves up facts based analysis on a regular basis that is very important. This is another great piece about the so called "basket of deplorables" that support the GOP. It's also very revelatory of the delusion that many on the left operate under these days in their quest for moral superiority.

Reactions: yoshi121374
If you're into politics and you don't read Ruy Teixeira you're making a mistake. The guy is a political wiz and he has helped Democrats with some of the greatest victories in the past. His politics may not align with yours if you are conservative but he serves up facts based analysis on a regular basis that is very important. This is another great piece about the so called "basket of deplorables" that support the GOP. It's also very revelatory of the delusion that many on the left operate under these days in their quest for moral superiority.

You fail to mention that this guy also very much believes that your orange hero and his Maga movement are nazis 2.0.

He's definitely right about this. I actually listened to him on The Bulwark podcast a couple days ago. Liberals ignore the plight of working class white America in favor of poor and working class black & brown America. It's a big problem that needs fixing. And I totally get how aggrieved it has left white, blue collar America.

But it pales in comparison to the problem that Republicans in our government are causing, and it's just more cherry picking from you to try and make some gotcha point. The left DOES have the moral high ground on Republicans now, in every conceivable sense of the word. They're just being judgy about it when they should be much less so.

You fail to mention that this guy also very much believes that your orange hero and his Maga movement are nazis 2.0.

He's definitely right about this. I actually listened to him on The Bulwark podcast a couple days ago. Liberals ignore the plight of working class white America in favor of poor and working class black & brown America. It's a big problem that needs fixing. And I totally get how aggrieved it has left white, blue collar America.

But it pales in comparison to the problem that Republicans in our government are causing, and it's just more cherry picking from you to try and make some gotcha point. The left DOES have the moral high ground on Republicans now, in every conceivable sense of the word. They're just being judgy about it when they should be much less so.

What problems do Republicans cause in government? I find the both parties use loopholes and the fringe to enact policy they want, particularly on issues that they can’t get through legislation. It is a by any means necessary approach. Politics has always been a dirty business, but it has gotten way worse over the years.

Anyone claiming that Democrats have moral high ground is somewhat laughable to me. I am not a fan of Donald Trump and I think he is a morally corrupt invidual. I also think Bill Clinton was morally bankrupt, but I find it interesting that the people who supported him think Trump is the anti-christ.

It seems to me that people turn a blind eye to the sins of people they ideologically agree with. Look at Hillary, there was no question the email server thing was illegal and she treated classified documents in a way that wasn’t proper. To the point that 30 thousand plus emails fell into foreign hands. Had they not been on her server, they probably don’t get hacked.

Either way, i get why people don’t like Trump. He is rude, arrogant and the list goes on. I don’t question if he has done things that are illegal. I just know many people, particularly career politicians seem to always be right on the edge of the line and routinely step over it and nothing happens.

However, the real shame of it is that what he did likely wasn’t illegal at all if you use the standards of what crimes actually get pursued. Non disclsoures by two private parties are not illegal, he didn’t use campaign money to pay for them, they were paid for by his organization. The question is whether the purpose was to help his campaign or not, was it an undeclared campaign contribution or not? That is the only question.

I don’t think any reasonable person would assume that the women who took the money to stay quiet would indeed actually stay quiet, which they didn’t. Every paper in the world reported it. I am really not sure what the point of all of it really was. Maybe to keep them from going on TV and giving a tell all interview.

Would you reasonably assume that looking back on how the media tried to burry the Hunter Biden laptop story was a favor to the democrats to get Joe Biden elected? There was plenty of credability to the story for anyone who cared to really know (as has been proven), yet it was suppressed. Now you can say the weren’t trying to get Biden elected, but we all know that just isn’t an honest take. It really isn’t any different. They should declare that as a gift to Joe Biden’s campaign, because that is what it was.

I view it like speeding, and while not a completely analogous example, If you were pulled over for going 58 in a 55 zone you would be pissed, I wouldn’t blame you. The law says you should get a ticket if you go over 55, but in practice that isn’t what happens and we should apply the “practice of the law” fairly.

The DA in Manhatten has a huge credability problem. He is on the record advocating for letting serious violent crime go virtually unpunished, but spend millions of dollars chasing Trump for what he claims was an intentional reporting error that by NY statute is a misdemeanor. Now he can make it a felony if he can say that misdemeanor was done to further another crime.

Should Al Sharpeton have been indicted for the numerous violations of campaign finance laws that he admitted too? No one blinked an eye other than him having to agree to pay back the money he illegally spent. There is one form a justice for those we like and one form for those we don’t, that is what many of the people who are up in arms really are pissed about. Not because they think Trump is some paragon of virtue.

Reactions: TigerGrowls

His article separates a lot of what Trump is about from the people who support him. But I actually agree that Trump is very dangerous. I think he's gone completely nuts. He's become exactly the kind of figure he was portrayed to be originally.

Your points about the high ground are just remarkable and amazingly short-sighted. History shows quite strongly otherwise and I find people like you terrifying because you're the kind that will defend almost anything that supports your ideology. My only solace is that eventually, this kind of stuff always faces the whirlwind of history which is also a dreadful thought.

What problems do Republicans cause in government? I find the both parties use loopholes and the fringe to enact policy they want, particularly on issues that they can’t get through legislation. It is a by any means necessary approach. Politics has always been a dirty business, but it has gotten way worse over the years.

Anyone claiming that Democrats have moral high ground is somewhat laughable to me. I am not a fan of Donald Trump and I think he is a morally corrupt invidual. I also think Bill Clinton was morally bankrupt, but I find it interesting that the people who supported him think Trump is the anti-christ.

It seems to me that people turn a blind eye to the sins of people they ideologically agree with. Look at Hillary, there was no question the email server thing was illegal and she treated classified documents in a way that wasn’t proper. To the point that 30 thousand plus emails fell into foreign hands. Had they not been on her server, they probably don’t get hacked.

Either way, i get why people don’t like Trump. He is rude, arrogant and the list goes on. I don’t question if he has done things that are illegal. I just know many people, particularly career politicians seem to always be right on the edge of the line and routinely step over it and nothing happens.

However, the real shame of it is that what he did likely wasn’t illegal at all if you use the standards of what crimes actually get pursued. Non disclsoures by two private parties are not illegal, he didn’t use campaign money to pay for them, they were paid for by his organization. The question is whether the purpose was to help his campaign or not, was it an undeclared campaign contribution or not? That is the only question.

I don’t think any reasonable person would assume that the women who took the money to stay quiet would indeed actually stay quiet, which they didn’t. Every paper in the world reported it. I am really not sure what the point of all of it really was. Maybe to keep them from going on TV and giving a tell all interview.

Would you reasonably assume that looking back on how the media tried to burry the Hunter Biden laptop story was a favor to the democrats to get Joe Biden elected? There was plenty of credability to the story for anyone who cared to really know (as has been proven), yet it was suppressed. Now you can say the weren’t trying to get Biden elected, but we all know that just isn’t an honest take. It really isn’t any different. They should declare that as a gift to Joe Biden’s campaign, because that is what it was.

I view it like speeding, and while not a completely analogous example, If you were pulled over for going 58 in a 55 zone you would be pissed, I wouldn’t blame you. The law says you should get a ticket if you go over 55, but in practice that isn’t what happens and we should apply the “practice of the law” fairly.

The DA in Manhatten has a huge credability problem. He is on the record advocating for letting serious violent crime go virtually unpunished, but spend millions of dollars chasing Trump for what he claims was an intentional reporting error that by NY statute is a misdemeanor. Now he can make it a felony if he can say that misdemeanor was done to further another crime.

Should Al Sharpeton have been indicted for the numerous violations of campaign finance laws that he admitted too? No one blinked an eye other than him having to agree to pay back the money he illegally spent. There is one form a justice for those we like and one form for those we don’t, that is what many of the people who are up in arms really are pissed about. Not because they think Trump is some paragon of virtue.
Wait, you're saying the media didn't have a reason to treat the story with caution after they saw what happened to Hillary when Comey reopened her email investigation 10 days before the 2016 election? Not to mention the peddlers of the story were Rudy Giuliani and Steve Bannon, NOT the most trustworthy of sources, to say the least. And in retrospect, the decison looks even better since the laptop didn't implicate Joe in any crimes - how shitty would that have been if he lost because of that?

So if that was a favor to the Democrats, what would you call Trump's suppression of the Stormy, MacDougal stories a couple weeks before the 2016 election? That could have easily cost him the election but everyone on the Right seems to ignore that angle of the story. He corruptly wanted to shut them up in an effort to win the election! But that's somehow the same as ONE social media company not reporting on a laptop for a couple of days while they discussed how they should address it? C'mon man!

His article separates a lot of what Trump is about from the people who support him. But I actually agree that Trump is very dangerous. I think he's gone completely nuts. He's become exactly the kind of figure he was portrayed to be originally.

Your points about the high ground are just remarkable and amazingly short-sighted. History shows quite strongly otherwise and I find people like you terrifying because you're the kind that will defend almost anything that supports your ideology. My only solace is that eventually, this kind of stuff always faces the whirlwind of history which is also a dreadful thought.
No, he's always been the kind of figure he was portrayed to be. Jesus Christ you are so disingenuous.

Wait, you're saying the media didn't have a reason to treat the story with caution after they saw what happened to Hillary when Comey reopened her email investigation 10 days before the 2016 election? Not to mention the peddlers of the story were Rudy Giuliani and Steve Bannon, NOT the most trustworthy of sources, to say the least. And in retrospect, the decison looks even better since the laptop didn't implicate Joe in any crimes - how shitty would that have been if he lost because of that?

So if that was a favor to the Democrats, what would you call Trump's suppression of the Stormy, MacDougal stories a couple weeks before the 2016 election? That could have easily cost him the election but everyone on the Right seems to ignore that angle of the story. He corruptly wanted to shut them up in an effort to win the election! But that's somehow the same as ONE social media company not reporting on a laptop for a couple of days while they discussed how they should address it? C'mon man!

When has the media ever been cautious with any story? They sure weren’t with the Russia thing and that has largely been proven to be a total hoax. LOL at not reporting it for a couple of days, most still don’t talk about it or pretend it didn’t happen A full 2 years later and if they do, they act like there is nothing to see even though it was proven the laptop was Hunter’s and he is under FBI investigation about much of the information on there. Ask yourself why there isn’t a special counsel? Why is the son of the president being investigated by the very departments that is led by one of his subordinates and a special counsel was not appointed?

To say the laptop doesn’t implicate Joe in any crimes is very premature. He said all along he took no money and had no knowledge of any of Hunter’s business dealing. Well lucky enough for Joe, lying your ass off to the American people isn’t a crime. I bet Joe wasn’t reporting or paying taxes on much of the money that Hunter was funneling his way, but we will see.

What you can’t seem to understand, is that paying two women not to talk about a chicken sandwich (or anything you so desire) is not illegal. The act of signing an NDA is perfectly legal regardless of the subject matter. Now how you label the fees on your books could be a problem. I don’t see writing that off as legal expense as a big deal, maybe it should have been classified as something else, it isn’t an indictable offense.

If the FEC feels like you provided a benefit to a candidate and you didn’t record that as a contribution, then you may have a problem. It isn’t a major deal. There are so many candidates that spend campaign money for obvious pernsonal uses that it has to be a major issue for you to even get a slap on the wrist. When Al Sharpton ran for president many years ago they were cited for all kinds of improper handling of money by the FEC. He was given a slap on the wrist and told to pay it back, which he still hasn’t done.

No one is shocked whatsoever that Trump had an affair, he has had how many wives? Was known as a playboy and it really wasn’t anything that shocked anyone. There were rumors of those and more that have been around for years. I absolutely thinking he was engaged in sexual relationships with many women.

Trump paying Micahel cohen to sign an NDA with Stormy is not unethical, illegal, or wrong. You can say it is untoward, but really I think the act of having an affair is the part that should be an issue. But the reality is we would have to ask a lot of politicians to take a seat if sleeping around was a disqualification. I doubt anyone had more affairs than Bill Clinton.

Last edited:
When has the media ever been cautious with any story? They sure weren’t with the Russia thing and that has largely been proven to be a total hoax. LOL at not reporting it for a couple of days, most still don’t talk about it or pretend it didn’t happen A full 2 years later and if they do, they act like there is nothing to see even though it was proven the laptop was Hunter’s and he is under FBI investigation about much of the information on there. Ask yourself why there isn’t a special counsel? Why is the son of the president being investigated by the very departments that is led by one of his subordinates and a special counsel was not appointed?

To say the laptop doesn’t implicate Joe in any crimes is very premature. He said all along he took no money and had no knowledge of any of Hunter’s business dealing. Well lucky enough for Joe, lying your ass off to the American people isn’t a crime. I bet Joe wasn’t reporting or paying taxes on much of the money that Hunter was funneling his way, but we will see.

What you can’t seem to understand, is that paying two women not to talk about a chicken sandwich (or anything you so desire) is not illegal. The act of signing an NDA is perfectly legal regardless of the subject matter. Now how you label the fees on your books could be a problem. I don’t see writing that off as legal expense as a big deal, maybe it should have been classified as something else, it isn’t an indictable offense.

If the FEC feels like you provided a benefit to a candidate and you didn’t record that as a contribution, then you may have a problem. It isn’t a major deal. There are so many candidates that spend campaign money for obvious pernsonal uses that it has to be a major issue for you to even get a slap on the wrist. When Al Sharpton ran for president many years ago they were cited for all kinds of improper handling of money by the FEC. He was given a slap on the wrist and told to pay it back, which he still hasn’t done.

No one is shocked whatsoever that Trump had an affair, he has had how many wives? Was known as a playboy and it really wasn’t anything that shocked anyone. There were rumors of those and more that have been around for years. I absolutely thinking he was engaged in sexual relationships with many women.

Trump paying Micahel cohen to sign an NDA with Stormy is not unethical, illegal, or wrong. You can say it is untoward, but really I think the act of having an affair is the part that should be an issue. But the reality is we would have to ask a lot of politicians cans to take a seat if sleeping around was a disqualification. I doubt anyone had more affairs than Bill Clinton.
I think you're missing my point. If not reporting on a laptop being peddled by sleazy sources was an attempt to help Joe Biden, how can you dismiss Trump paying off prostitutes for the same reason? You know not everything is a conspiracy theory and I will stand by my comment that the media was correct to use caution before reporting on it - especially when the ones peddling the information are some of the worst sleazeballs connected to Trump.

Man, I enjoyed the hell out of your posts in the the Murdaugh thread and always looked forward to what you had to say, so I'm disappointed that you're a conspiracy theorist Oh well...

yea hillary had no one to blame but herself and deserved far worse. she deliberately conducted state dept business on a private server, primarily to get around foia requests. when it was discovered she wiped the servers and 30k emails disappeared into the ether. she also violated campaign finance laws, she used campaign funds to pay for the steele dossier. she was hit with the grave penalty of an 8k fine for a fake dossier than led to a 3 year hoax ending in an impeachment hearing. and if you have a brain the laptop pretty clearly implicates the big guy was getting a cut of hunter's proceeds. gee i wonder what that was for? not every day international corporations put crackheads on their board and pay them millions of dollars, but if their dad is vp i guess they make exceptions. there's also ashley's diary where she writes of how terrified she was to take showers because of joe joining her to do god only knows what. but some people in this country apparently think child abuse is ok now. at the very least, they certainly don't have any questions they want answered there.

trump had nda's signed, you know, where 2 parties agree to a legal settlement. even if he used campaign funds, paying off a side chick is something 2/3 of congress has probably done, likely all with campaign funds. if you get hit with an 8k fine for funding a fake dossier to smear your opponent that would turn into the russiagate hoax, i'm pretty sure trump would actually deserve a refund for his indiscretion. people just can't separate principle from personal anymore and its making this country look like a south park episode.

anyone that thinks this is the right thing can't see further than the tip of their nose. this is now the standard, don't want to hear any tears when the political system is weaponized in the pettiest of ways against politicians on the other side. lemmings cheering it is are caught up in their trump obsession they lose all perspective on principle and precedent. stand for nothing, fall for anything.

yea hillary had no one to blame but herself and deserved far worse. she deliberately conducted state dept business on a private server, primarily to get around foia requests. when it was discovered she wiped the servers and 30k emails disappeared into the ether. she also violated campaign finance laws, she used campaign funds to pay for the steele dossier. she was hit with the grave penalty of an 8k fine for a fake dossier than led to a 3 year hoax ending in an impeachment hearing. and if you have a brain the laptop pretty clearly implicates the big guy was getting a cut of hunter's proceeds. gee i wonder what that was for? not every day international corporations put crackheads on their board and pay them millions of dollars, but if their dad is vp i guess they make exceptions. there's also ashley's diary where she writes of how terrified she was to take showers because of joe joining her to do god only knows what. but some people in this country apparently think child abuse is ok now. at the very least, they certainly don't have any questions they want answered there.

trump had nda's signed, you know, where 2 parties agree to a legal settlement. even if he used campaign funds, paying off a side chick is something 2/3 of congress has probably done, likely all with campaign funds. if you get hit with an 8k fine for funding a fake dossier to smear your opponent that would turn into the russiagate hoax, i'm pretty sure trump would actually deserve a refund for his indiscretion. people just can't separate principle from personal anymore and its making this country look like a south park episode.

anyone that thinks this is the right thing can't see further than the tip of their nose. this is now the standard, don't want to hear any tears when the political system is weaponized in the pettiest of ways against politicians on the other side. lemmings cheering it is are caught up in their trump obsession they lose all perspective on principle and precedent. stand for nothing, fall for anything.
Dude you could have just written onomatopeia 20 times and I would have gotten the same thing from your post.

I think you're missing my point. If not reporting on a laptop being peddled by sleazy sources was an attempt to help Joe Biden, how can you dismiss Trump paying off prostitutes for the same reason? You know not everything is a conspiracy theory and I will stand by my comment that the media was correct to use caution before reporting on it - especially when the ones peddling the information are some of the worst sleazeballs connected to Trump.

Man, I enjoyed the hell out of your posts in the the Murdaugh thread and always looked forward to what you had to say, so I'm disappointed that you're a conspiracy theorist Oh well...

LOL, I am not a theory conspiracist.

I don‘t lack the understanding of why Trump did what he did, I don’t approve of it, I just see that the media chooses to give some people a pass and others they pile on. You don’t have to see it that way, it has become very much an us vs. them type thing.

Again, I don’t think Trump is a paragon of virtue. I don’t dismiss him paying people to stay quiet, I am just drawing a distinction about the legality or a “fair application” of the law. Paying one hooker and one girlfriend not to discuss your history (if there was history) isn’t illegal. I notice through this whole thing nobody talks about Stormy taking money to have sex with someone, but Trump is the vile scourge that has to be locked up.

If you knew how often well known people did this, it would make your stomach churn. Bill Gates had numerous affairs and paid millions for women to “be quiet and go away” and we are not talking women who were willing participants. Lots of powerful men have and likely will continue to do this same thing and voting red or blue has no impact, equal opportunity offenders.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT