ADVERTISEMENT

Another Difficult Reality Check

Chevaker

The Milwaukee Deep
Gold Member
Jan 17, 2020
After the ACC title game there was some renewed optimism but last night showed the loss to USCjr was not a fluke and DJ was not the only problem. The program has slipped significantly since 2018.

To paraphrase Bobby Bowden, having talented players doesn't guarantee championships but you won't win big without great talent. There is no question the talent level is no longer elite. The most unsettling aspect is that the bulk of the roster was recruited by the championship staff pre-NIL and transfer portal. Going forward I see a roster with some really good players but also some holes. I don't see a lot of true superstar, difference makers, first round type guys.

Once again the offensive line was an issue against a UT defense that was mediocre all season. Apparently a noticeably injured JMac was the only option at left tackle. Parks is also banged up and there is a drop off from Tate to Mayes. Dabo had the chance to bolster this unit through the portal or with more scholarship allocations, but here we are again.

Defensively the production all season never matched the sum of the parts. There is more talent on that side of the ball than the results on the field. The D line never lived up to its potential and the secondary was poor. Wes is supposed to be the savant but more often than not our defense looked confused and not the opposition.

Probably the most disturbing trend is watching Clemson get physically whipped in big games. OSU in 2020 and even 2019 to some extent. In 2021 UGA ragdolled our OL. A mediocre Notre Dame team manhandled Clemson on both lines this season. Clemson seemed to have no answer for the UT pass rush and couldn't even nut-up for a short run on 4th down.

I thought last year the coaches did a good job of holding that team together and finishing 10-3. This season I do not think Clemson looked well-coached frequently, and the team did not improve over the course of the season. Bad fundamentals, questionable gameplans, poor adjustments and personnel choices were the norm in 2022.

In the post game presser Dabo was asked about the perception the program has fallen from the elite. He rightfully pointed out the recent success relative to Clemson's football history. He then started talking about developing great young men off the field which kind of gave me the Butch Jones' Champions of Life vibe. I love the integrity of the program but it all starts with the product on the field.

Overall, this was not the bounce back season Clemson needed. The questions remain as to how Clemson will fare with a new staff in the NIL and transfer era. Dabo has proven his doubters wrong before but I am lowering my expectations going forward. It is possible 2023 could be a step back in the right direction.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News