ADVERTISEMENT

B10 update: TIFWIW

Thank you.
I'm not saying the guy is full of crap, because he's probably not.

But I'm gently encouraging y'all to not take everything he said hook, line and sinker.
My naive take is that Disney is bleeding tens of billions- literally/factually, and the BIG needs southern schools with the gravitas of Clemson and is in a much better position financially so it just makes it seem a lot more plausible that we go to the BIG if anything happens short term.

My naive take is that Disney is bleeding tens of billions- literally/factually, and the BIG needs southern schools with the gravitas of Clemson and is in a much better position financially so it just makes it seem a lot more plausible that we go to the BIG if anything happens short term.

I don't think that's naive.

I’ve been following this guy for a month or so now. He is all over the place. About three weeks ago he told his followers(mostly B1G fans) to forget about Clemson, because it’s was supposedly a done deal that we were headed to the SEC. And he’s flip flopped a few times since then

He also said that the B1G was 110% NOT taking Oregon and Washington because they didn’t add value to the league
In his defense, he was actually right about Washington and Oregon. They went to the Big 10 for half shares for the first like 5-7 years. He said they didn’t bring the necessary viewing audience to be admitted. The Big Ten pretty much agreed with that assessment. That’s why they’re only getting 50% of a pay out.

He has said Clemson and FSU deserve full payouts on Day 1. There are other ACC teams who would be half-share types.

One other thing to keep an eye on with all this is he is speaking more from the TV angle and $$$$ business angle. Unfortunately university presidents - hardly astute business leaders - also get a big say in this. That’s what leads to dumb ass suggestions like admitting Stanford and Cal to the ACC. That did not come from a business angle or suggestion but university presidents saying “what wonderful academic institutions” we could be associated with angle.

The expansion South is vital to league image

reverse.gif

Methinks you're still on your Ohio/Michigan high. 3/4 of the year their weather sucks. 100% of the year their fans suck.
I am sorry. I failed to acknowledge your mancrush on Georgia, Tennessee, Auburn, Florida, Bama, Ole Miss, Starkville State, Hatfield's Alma Mater, your drunk friends at LSU and those cheerleaders you love to watch at the infamous Texas All 1/2 Male University. Remind me what pronoun the TAMU cheerboys use?

Not that there is anything wrong with the TA1/2MU cheer boys.

Reactions: evergreentiger
Are conferences really going to matter in a few years? I still think the end result will be the teams that actually care about football breaking off and forming their own league outside of the NCAA. So why not take the route that pays the most. I honestly think this whole conference talk is to show which schools actually support football
no

oh, and yes

I never said it has anything to do with "quality of students." And I never said I give a darn about that.

But you didn't tell me if the AAU thing matters to the people that will call the shots here. Can you tell me if the BIG school presidents want potential members to be AAU or not? I doubt it....because you don't know.
Love it when the board handle is so dead spot on.

And Clemson and FSU, if they stick together, will determine which conference is the most powerful. It would seem these two schools (with UNC and presumably a VA school and maybe GT) would be very valuable to the B1G. Clemson and FSU might not be so valuable to the SEC in isolation, but if they swing to the B1G that could be decisive in the short run and existential in the long run to the SEC. JMO.
UVA & GT don't mean squat to the Big10. Maybe Miami.

I am sorry. I failed to acknowledge your mancrush on Georgia, Tennessee, Auburn, Florida, Bama, Ole Miss, Starkville State, Hatfield's Alma Mater, your drunk friends at LSU and those cheerleaders you love to watch at the infamous Texas All 1/2 Male University. Remind me what pronoun the TAMU cheerboys use?

Just had to be politically correct, didn't you?

The expansion South is vital to league image

Yep sets nicely.

Minn/Neb/PAC4
Indiana/Maryland/Southern 4

then the middle of the country two pods of 6

you are staring at a 4 pod system with decent travel that isn’t insane For the sports that are not Football. Issue is will they take CU/FSU and 2 Texas schools Plus the NC schools?

This guy is a busy bee.
Don’t shoot the messenger
1: Clemson and Florida State are waiting for the "signal" to leave. I don't know when that signal will be sent. The signal is essentially the Big Ten and the network partners telling Florida State and Clemson that they are ready to add a southern swing of schools. Big Ten commish can't just call and say "hey, it's time for your offer." FSU has a "home." The presidents of the schools will tell him to go and add the others after conversations with FOX/NBC/CBS. The networks want it. It isn't going to be just two schools down south when this is done. Target should be anywhere from 2 at first and then up to 4 or 5. The additions outside of FSU and Clemson will have to come in at a very low number like OR/WA did.

so they will go to 20, but it isn't known how quickly they will go to more than 20 because of the GOR issues/cost that other schools will have. so this may have to be a long, bleeding process before it is in it's completed form.

I'm told that the Big Ten would like to get UNC but they know that may not happen. The talk of UNC and UVA as the top targets or moved onto those two schools is not true. UVA has no shot at a Big Ten invite right now because FOX will not pay for it, just like they are not willing to pay for Cal and Stanford.

FOX wants regional brands and rivalries in all regions to broadcast on their channels and the same with CBS and NBC.

FOX is going to try and retain all content under their "umbrella" so they own the assets.

From my understanding, rights will be acquired. What the expense is and who has to send the check, I don't know.

2: I was told several high level decision makers at Clemson would prefer to go to the Big Ten. They will have no issue of going to the SEC if they can't get into the Big Ten. There have been several back channel communications. Of course the Big Ten presidents want to move slower but FOX wants it done as quickly as they can.

3: FOX already knew the Pac-12 was going to implode several weeks before Colorado announced for the Big 12. FOX was ready to communicate to the Big Ten to get things going. Go back to when the Big Ten commish spoke at media days. He didn't say anything about not adding anymore schools for a reason. He just said the presidents didn't authorize him to do it (yet). The presidents of the Big Ten schools did not want to add those two schools for several years but had to do it now or lose them for the long-term.

Many in the Big Ten are very, very happy with the last 4 conference additions. Now it's a matter of timing for when they add the southern wing to the conference. They want to be THE national conference and outside forces are not gong to be able to prevent that from happening.

4: The OR/WA ordeal was closer to falling apart than the public knows. They estimate that it will cost $10M annually in travel costs alone and having a payout of $30M, they will have fewer dollars to spend on other resources. FOX would only give them 1 million dollars annually for travel expenses, which is not the normal process. Usually a network will never agree to something like this. That goes to show how strong the relationship is between FOX and the Big Ten. It's a very healthy relationship.

5: There was no push back from USC and UCLA leaders for adding OR/WA even when they are not voting members. They don't view OR/WA additions will impact USC's ability to be the dominant brand out west.

6: There are serious conversations, at least at the athletic department level, for going to 10 conference games.

7: ESPN does not want to lose the ACC. That's been made clear by many communications among people. But they will also not pay a boat load of new money because they don't have the money to do it and don't have the authorization to do it.

8: The Big Ten isn't viewing Notre Dame as a must get to accomplish the national conference goal. That wasn't the case last summer as they tried to get Notre Dame to join.

The Big Ten and network partners are not worried about what the other conferences and networks do. They have complete control of the biggest brands out west, have the big brands in the Big Ten, will get their southern swing accomplished, and then later will get into Texas.

There's nobody playing anyone to try and get any result. ESPN can't do anything unless their bosses sign off on it and right now they don't have authorization to make any new tv deals, etc.

This writer is obviously plugged in deep with the decisionmakers.

For what it is worth, almost every word of tbat Twitter Post matches word for word what I am hearing from multiple folks but was strictly forbidden from posting/sharing on any type of public forum.

The consistency of even the granular details is uncanny.
This ^^^

Reactions: TigManinSC
Here is what everyone is missing:

We can "WANT" whatever as fans but the fact is Clemson is in a crucial point and when the time comes and they have a seat at the table with the BIG they can potentially dangle the carrot. But right now they need to make damn sure they can get out of the GOR and that it makes sense financially

2 choices IF the BIG has pulled up a seat for us at the table

1. Take it and improve our situation
2. Say no and hope like hell the SEC finds us attractive when the time is right

There are so many wheels in motion and so many forks in the road. Each hour, each day, each week brings new challenges and new rumors.
Nick, the SEC will never treat Clemson with the respect it deserves. Regardless of the southern rivalry games I'd love to attend, that league will f*ck us in every way possible. it took me awhile to get used to the idea, but I've warmed up to the fact that there's a helluva lot more financial security ahead for B1G members. Road trips will be tougher and more expensive, but who gives a shit now about trips to Durham, Syracuse, Boston, etc? Hopefully a B1G offer doesn't wait until next year. A Christmas season invite would be awesome!

Realignment moves are being made for money. There's probably one more mega TV deal and then things probably break down anyway -- If that's the case, and it sounds like it is, Clemson should do whatever it can to maximize its revenue and when there's another shifting of the landscape, make another move if it's right.

We're creeping toward toward the super league. Might as well go ahead and start the transition as soon as possible to remain competitive and see where things shake out for the next round of negotiations. Better to go ahead and reserve the seat while we can.

SC rivalry could end if joining the BIG. If they go to 10 conference games we may not play SC.
That doesn't have to happen at all. The program that walks away from our annual rivalry game instead of dropping a shit instate school from the schedule is a pussy personified. And frankly I don't think our state legislature would allow the series to end either.

Did I or did I say I might be a no?

I feel like I said baseball would suffer so for that I might be a no. AS things sit right now with no offer on the table I say no to the thought of going to the BIG 10 over the SEC.

With an offer from the BIG 10 and no offer from the SEC that answer changes. If we have an offer from there Big 10 and one coming from the SEC I am waiting to hear the SEC offer.
Respectfully Clemson is not Notre Dame. I cannot imagine a scenario where our administration can bargain for the best deal. We'll jump on the first offer imo.

Reactions: touchdownbob

You're a weird dude Tom.

Respectfully Clemson is not Notre Dame. I cannot imagine a scenario where our administration can bargain for the best deal. We'll jump on the first offer imo.
As we should. Get in the big two now and see where things fall for the next wave of realignment.

If the B1G offers Clemson a full invite, it would be irresponsible to hold out. Assuming we're in with FSU, as well as two other ACC schools with reduced revenue shares, that's a good deal.

Nick, the SEC will never treat Clemson with the respect it deserves. Regardless of the southern rivalry games I'd love to attend, that league will f*ck us in every way possible. it took me awhile to get used to the idea, but I've warmed up to the fact that there's a helluva lot more financial security ahead for B1G members. Road trips will be tougher and more expensive, but who gives a shit now about trips to Durham, Syracuse, Boston, etc? Hopefully a B1G offer doesn't wait until next year. A Christmas season invite would be awesome!
If CU, FSU and UNC all go to the SEC, i think it then becomes the more financially stable conference. Understood on the SEC respect, but at that point you would have as many "outsider" power schools in the SEC as the old line SEC schools. If the average SEC team brought 10-15k fans to a Clemson game, and if our area keeps growing at the rate it is, and he CU student body size keeps growing, I could see a Clemson stadium that eventually seats 90k-100k in time. If so, at that point we are in a pretty equal power position for football as any school in the SEC other than UGA and maybe UF.

If CU, FSU and UNC all go to the SEC, i think it then becomes the more financially stable conference. Understood on the SEC respect, but at that point you would have as many "outsider" power schools in the SEC as the old line SEC schools. If the average SEC team brought 10-15k fans to a Clemson game, and if our area keeps growing at the rate it is, and he CU student body size keeps growing, I could see a Clemson stadium that eventually seats 90k-100k in time. If so, at that point we are in a pretty equal power position for football as any school in the SEC other than UGA and maybe UF.
Maybe it's just me and my intense dislike for UNCheat, but I would just as soon have them go to the BIG and us go to the SEC. I don't want to have anything else to do with their arrogant asses.

ND is unique, but FSU and CU together are in a powerful position, I suspect. In some ways better than ND, i suspect, due to location. If UNC joins with FSU and CU, then the power position for negotiations would likely be very strong.

Maybe it's just me and my intense dislike for UNCheat, but I would just as soon have them go to the BIG and us go to the SEC. I don't want to have anything else to do with their arrogant asses.
I would have said the same 15-20 years back, but I think they have been humbled some since then. Haha. I am not sentimental toward them, it would just be good business to first have them in your group for negotiations and then in your conference for $ and stability. NC is likely to be one of the most populous states in a decade or two, I would think.

Reactions: GeorgeZip
We need to all convoy together up there in the left hand lane at 45 mph.
just so you know…you can get pulled over and ticketed for driving in the left lane and not passing in Indiana…just saying.

I have more issues with left lane slow drivers in Georgia than any Midwest states

just so you know…you can get pulled over and ticketed for driving in the left lane and not passing in Indiana…just saying.

I have more issues with left lane slow drivers in Georgia than any Midwest states

I am well aware. It's what I scream at them every time I have to pass their ignorant asses in the right lane.

Just had to be politically correct, didn't you?
OOPS. You caught me Tigerfaith. FWIW, I was just messing with you. I hope we can ride together to our first game in The Shoe.

I like who we are with respect to Ohio State. Back in 1935 or so, when we were playing only 2 or 3 games per year at home on Riggs field in front of only hundreds of people, Ohio State played ND in Columbus in front or 100,000 or so fans. I love it that we have made a lot more progress than the Buckeyes and we own them 4-1 on the scoreboard. I'd like to beat them on their home turf.

Also, I love it we are 4-3 lifetime vs ND, 1-1 vs Nebraska, 1-0 vs Penn State, I-0 vs Ilinois. The only Big10 team with a winning lifetime record against our Tigers is Minnesota whom we trail 0-1.

I wonder how many Big10 fans know Lil Ole Clemson has a lifetime lead over their whole AAU loving conference?

Go Tigers!!

I don't think that's naive.
Larry,
Is there a feeling by those at clemson that see the Big1 as a better fit as this conference as a whole places a higher priority on academics? I say this because I feel like the sec has definitely emphasized that athletics is their #1 priority. And, many sec fans will even state that outside of Vandy they care more about W’s and L’s than GPA’s or graduation rates.

Thanks!

I like playing UNC. We own the well named heels 39-1-19. And as you know, I have personal reasons to enjoy beating them.

Wow!! Best post of the year. Top Gun is exactly right.

I don't think we can go wrong with either the B1G or SEC. Either path keeps us competitive financially, especially if we're able to secure a full share. The thought of playing Michigan, OSU, Penn St., Iowa, Wash, Oregon is very intriguing. I can definitely be on board with that.

The SEC is the more natural fit from a rivalry perspective though.

Remaining in the ACC makes less and less sense with each move towards a Power 2.

ND is unique, but FSU and CU together are in a powerful position, I suspect. In some ways better than ND, i suspect, due to location. If UNC joins with FSU and CU, then the power position for negotiations would likely be very strong.
Yep. And just like that, the B1G picks up a bunch of eyeballs in a whole new market in the Southeast. SEC has to be afraid of that.

Agree. I think Georgia Tech has the potential to have a really good football program. They’re in a great area for recruiting, even if they’re getting Georgia’s rejects. But if they have Big Ten backing, they can be dangerous at some point.

Other than proximity to recruits, I don’t think GT has really any potential to be consistently better than mediocre. They would need a Phil Knight/T Boone Pickens level booster with the power/money to fundamentally change how the university/athletic department is run.

Other than proximity to recruits, I don’t think GT has really any potential to be consistently better than mediocre. They would need a Phil Knight/T Boone Pickens level booster with the power/money to fundamentally change how the university/athletic department is run.
GT has had some really good teams over the past 30 years. Their location could not be better. They need to create some easy majors and hire some soft professors. They likely have as many rich alumni as any but a handful of schools in the country, and a lot of them are men who like football and sports. If they had a good product and vision and someone who could sell it, I suspect they have potential. Not elite potential, but very good. Maybe like Wisconsin good.

Reactions: Stoneynsc
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT