ADVERTISEMENT

*******BREAKING: Steele no longer calling plays at Alabama, according to source in Oxford

Larry_Williams

Senior Writer - Tigerillustrated.com
Staff
Oct 28, 2008
Basement
This story is wild and has to be a first.

An opposing head coach getting the scoop of a major play-calling change at Alabama.

If indeed this is accurate I can't wait for the ESPN crawl: "As first reported by Lane Kiffin..."

Full story

Ole Miss coach Lane Kiffin doubled down on his accusation that Alabama defensive coordinator Kevin Steele wasn't calling plays for the Crimson Tide during their 17-3 win over South Florida last Saturday.

Kiffin told reporters Monday that he wasn't attempting to make waves when he said Sunday that it appeared that defensive backs coach Travaris Robinson had taken over playcalling duties after Alabama's loss to Texas -- something Crimson Tide coach Nick Saban had not announced.

Ole Miss travels to play Alabama on Saturday.

"I was asked the question, 'What's it like going against Steele's defense?' I wasn't trying to start this big thing," Kiffin said. "We saw things on TV copy just where it was different. First off, of what the play looked like -- the calls and stuff. And so we looked into that further. And then it ain't no secret that people in these buildings know each other, so we obviously got some information that way, too."​

Unprompted, Alabama coach Nick Saban refuted that suggestion during his Monday news conference.

"On this other thing I hear floating around out there -- I'm sure you've seen the same reports that I've seen -- is that Kevin Steele is the defensive coordinator," Saban said. "He has all the defensive coordinator responsibilities. The only thing that we tried to improve from an administrative standpoint was game day administration of getting the signals in quicker, alright? So that was the only thing we worked on as a staff, and the whole staff made a contribution to it and I think it was a lot better in this game [against USF] than it was in the Texas game."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News