ADVERTISEMENT

Brownell and Clemson Basketball

SigEptiger

Valles Marineris
Gold Member
Jul 7, 2004
Let me start by saying I have been the biggest informed critic of Brad Brownell. I was against the hire from day one. I’ve been consistent in my stance that he can coach with the best of them, but that doesn’t always relate to success at the power five level. I have also been consistent in stating that there are better options to lead the program. The strength of the Clemson brand has never been stronger, and we have one of the nicest basketball facilities in the conference… And we haven’t come close to reaching our potential under Brownell.

Having said that…

I find it very difficult to look at current state of the program and think he deserves to be fired.

Yes, I know there are some poor performances, Louisville, being gut wrenching.

But that doesn’t take away from what I see on the floor. I’ll see a team deep with young talent the plays selflessly. That’s not just about passing the basketball… That is about playing hard, willing to sacrifice your body for loose balls, charges. Having joy, pure joy for your teammates, while you are sitting on the bench. There is legit chemistry that is so difficult to achieve in today’s game.

Make no mistake, our talent level is nowhere. It needs to be to compete for an ACC championship year in here out. And that needs to change. But we have some solid freshmen, being mentored by majority non-portal upperclassman that are having success.

But for a team that was picked to finish 11th in the conference, regardless of how weak the ACC is this year, this has been Brownell’s best performance as a coach, and his best team.

I think it would be a shame to disrupt the momentum as things stand today.

There is no crystal ball… But this team has the makings to finish strong and still make a great run to finish the season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News