ADVERTISEMENT

Chance of another mandatory lockdown in SC at 100%???

Governor of Arizona announced two days that we would go to mandatory masks but it would be up to the mayors of each city to enforce the rule.
Of course our mayor has declined whereas most will enforce the mandate but we also have the fewest cases in the state if that matters.

Are you down by Yuma? I moved to Arrowhead Ranch in Glendale just before everything locked down in March.

Less than 1,000 South Carolinians have died including the four that died yesterday.

It’s sad anytime someone dies but the vast majority of the deaths have been elderly and or folks with serious health conditions.

SC can do better in terms of social distancing while being open for business but you cannot lock the state down even if deaths double to 2,000. By comparison over 10,000 die each year of cancer and over 10,000 die of heart disease.

Despite a significant increase in positive Covid 19 cases the death numbers have not increased dramatically nor have the hospitalizations.

It could change OR it could mean younger healthier people are testing positive that do not require hospitalizations. It could also mean recent strains of the virus don’t have the same viral load.

This should be studied for a while before any changes are made.

A bit OT but here is a great chance to illustrate one of the most common types of journalistic bias- the use of modifiers to compel a specific interpretation of a statistic.

I don't know the exact number but let's say 990 people died. If I have no opinion or if it's not central to what I want to get across, I'll say "990 people died." If I (as Nashvegastiger obviously does) that it is insignificant and highly acceptable collateral damage, I'll say (as he did) "Less than 1,000 died." Believing as I do that it is way too many and would have been largely avoidable with a brighter populace, I'd say "Nearly 1,000 people have died."

It may seem like an insignificant change, but I assure you it is effective in moving opinions. I once tested the concept on two high school English classes as part of a talk I gave back in the 70's. And I can also say that not all journalists who use it are doing it consciously. If you immerse yourself in a story and do the research, you're bound to form an opinion and it's difficult to keep that from coloring the way you write. And it's not always a bad thing. For example, in climate change there are different shades of one story; there are not two stories and to present the crooked or crackpot deniers opinions on equal footing with independent scientists would be a disservice to the readers and a dereliction of your duty as a journalist to inform.

Bankrupt South Carolina and you're not going to have a state. We've got to hunker down and push through this. Name me a business that was ever designed for zero revenue.

The pandemic is serious, people should take it seriously, but there have already been enough businesses in this country torched and destroyed this spring. This state, this country, cannot absorb a prolonged economic stoppage. That's just fact.

It's a bitter pill to swallow, but we've got to do it.
Been saying the same thing all along. No shut regardless of infections. The economy must continue. There has been too much carnage already.

Doctors tell me this thing can’t peter out until at least 60% of the population gets it. Herd immunity is the only answer.

Give it to me. If I die, I die. Just means it was my time.

until they get it or the vaccine. Big difference.

A bit OT but here is a great chance to illustrate one of the most common types of journalistic bias- the use of modifiers to compel a specific interpretation of a statistic.

I don't know the exact number but let's say 990 people died. If I have no opinion or if it's not central to what I want to get across, I'll say "990 people died." If I (as Nashvegastiger obviously does) that it is insignificant and highly acceptable collateral damage, I'll say (as he did) "Less than 1,000 died." Believing as I do that it is way too many and would have been largely avoidable with a brighter populace, I'd say "Nearly 1,000 people have died."

It may seem like an insignificant change, but I assure you it is effective in moving opinions. I once tested the concept on two high school English classes as part of a talk I gave back in the 70's. And I can also say that not all journalists who use it are doing it consciously. If you immerse yourself in a story and do the research, you're bound to form an opinion and it's difficult to keep that from coloring the way you write. And it's not always a bad thing. For example, in climate change there are different shades of one story; there are not two stories and to present the crooked or crackpot deniers opinions on equal footing with independent scientists would be a disservice to the readers and a dereliction of your duty as a journalist to inform.

Great points on bias. The left have used bias to increase fear and make people believe this is far deadlier for everyone than it actually is.

If you believe 1,000 deaths is too many what is your proposed solution?

What other types of deaths equally concern you?

Trump could just put on a mask on. That would be the first bit of leadership he has exhibited the whole time he’s been in office.

But then he'd look weak! He's a strong, physical specimen. Didn't you hear about the perfect numbers from his physical and see him gracefully stride down that big scary greased up ramp?

There’s no scientific evidence that masks are beneficial. There’s actually more evidence that they’re harmful or useless..

masks aren’t your answer.
Bruh wut in the French fried potato did I just read
Im just saying at what point is enough just enough? when everything is dead? Did we really not expect a spike with all the looters and rioters out there.?
Spikes started from reopening for Memorial Day weekend and will continue from the protests

Doctors tell me this thing can’t peter out until at least 60% of the population gets it. Herd immunity is the only answer.

Give it to me. If I die, I die. Just means it was my time.
I agree somewhat on herd immunity however you must keep the spread contained..... 60% of our population is 3 million in SC. It would take almost a year of 10,000 new infections a day to reach that. I don't think our healthcare system could keep up with that.

Reactions: cyclotiger
I love Prescott. I went to high school in Cottonwoood and lived in Clarkdale.
Went up there and hiked lake Watson a few weeks ago, then granite mtn brewery and farm provisions for lunch. Would definitely go back

I agree somewhat on herd immunity however you must keep the spread contained..... 60% of our population is 3 million in SC. It would take almost a year of 10,000 new infections a day to reach that. I don't think our healthcare system could keep up with that.
You are assuming that everyone that has it gets tested and it comes back positive. I think it’s a fairly safe assumption that a lot of people have had it, were asymptotic and we will never know.

I agree Chris, but the problem is people do not take it serious. 3 SC cities in the top 15 on percentage of new cases with MB at 3rd in the US. No one wearing masks.

SC needs a wake up call or we are going to blow this thing
Cases or positive tests? Masks do not prevent individuals from spreading nor contracting this virus. You are free to virtue signal if you like.

Agree with your numbers but there are asymptomatic cases in the 10x-20x range. So for every known case, multiple by 10 or 20. So, 1,000 positive tests means 10,000 are positive. Makes the math a little quicker to get to.

Memorial Day started the surge. Outside of a few random businesses closing, the state will remain wide open finishing out the summer, and students will be back on campus before you know it. That's when all of this will hit a crescendo. You think your racist uncle Jim Bob Cooter doesn't care about masks and social distancing? Try thousands of 18-22-year-old students just wanting to party and have a good time.

Whether that's right or wrong doesn't really matter at this point. McMaster isn't going to close the state again.

Reactions: Conando
Bankrupt South Carolina and you're not going to have a state. We've got to hunker down and push through this. Name me a business that was ever designed for zero revenue.

The pandemic is serious, people should take it seriously, but there have already been enough businesses in this country torched and destroyed this spring. This state, this country, cannot absorb a prolonged economic stoppage. That's just fact.

It's a bitter pill to swallow, but we've got to do it.
THIS!
Myrtle Beach will have to start over if they miss that Ohio summer rush. Seriously, these seasonal businesses are even more dependent on this summer than some of the ones who are already either closed or barely hanging on.

Reactions: tigergrad03
As a staunch supporter of pro-life and the All Lives Matter movement, the old people in this country just have to take one for the team here

This was my gut feeling yesterday and my gut has been right since the beginning. I give it a week, some of the smaller hospitals are nearing 100 percent capacity.

My opinion is Mrs Bell's comments yesterday were plainly indicating we were close to that point.
i played golf today with a MD. He received an email during the round from our hospital stating that ICU rooms were full.

Reactions: purenonsense
OR - and here me out here- y’all could all just wear masks (and shame those you know who do not) and prevent a total economic meltdown

im not going to wear a mask. i want herd immunity as fast as possible. Nobody in my family either.

Matter of fact - dont personally know anyone that wears one.

We need to get back to “normal” as fast as possible.......and vaccine ain’t on the horizon

Last edited:
how do you enforce a mask mandate? Seems almost impossible.
Same way you enact a mandatory curfew. You get arrested/ticketed if you don’t wear one.

Just because you disagree doesn’t mean it can’t be a law. No different than no texting while driving, the drinking age, or speed limits as far as laws that aren’t often followed.

I run a small business in Kershaw county, and see anywhere from 30-60 customers a day. I’ve had 1, yes just 1, customer who had covid 19. He’s in his 70’s, was in the hospital for 2 weeks, and back to 100%. He said the common flu was harder on him than ‘Rona’ virus, and rolls his eyes at the media hysteria.

I know 1 person that got it and is fine so this whole thing is clearly a hoax. I also know a couple cancer survivors so I don’t know why there’s so much money being wasted on cancer research when it could be invested in the economy. I know a black guy that’s never been shot at by police so why are the police getting so much flack?
Can't wait for your return trip to ban island.

I run a small business in Kershaw county, and see anywhere from 30-60 customers a day. I’ve had 1, yes just 1, customer who had covid 19. He’s in his 70’s, was in the hospital for 2 weeks, and back to 100%. He said the common flu was harder on him than ‘Rona’ virus, and rolls his eyes at the media hysteria.
Holy mother. So just because it hasn’t affected you means it hasn’t hospitalized hundreds of thousands?

I agree Chris, but the problem is people do not take it serious. 3 SC cities in the top 15 on percentage of new cases with MB at 3rd in the US. No one wearing masks.

SC needs a wake up call or we are going to blow this thing

BS, the problem is that we need to stop trying to control something that cannot be controlled. Let it run its course and protect those that are most vulnerable. It the effing flu for goodness sake and it has to transmit to create immunity. Not to mention, it is not as deadly, nowhere even close, as the pundits first proclaimed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT