ADVERTISEMENT

Classic Movie Released/Live At The Printshop New Show (9:00PM Tonight)/Weekend Music Thread

scartiger

Woodrush
Gold Member
Jan 12, 2010
Hope Everyone is having a great week! Go Tigers!

This is a friend of mine Christopher Yates playing acoustic guitar and vocals. He puts this on with various artists. It's called Home By Dark show at Union Hill Park Alpharetta, GA.

And Christopher above helps this friend of mine Adam put this show on from his house Live at the Printshop. I'll say again if you're on YouTube I'd subscribe to his channel. Comes on at 9 tonight and it's Colin Hay from the band Men At Work.

On this day in 1979, the movie “The Rose” starring Bette Midler premiered in Los Angeles (October 10)

The song “The Rose" was written by Amanda McBroom, and recorded by Bette Midler for the soundtrack, however the song was not actually written for the movie.

McBroom recalls writing it in 1977 or 1978 and occasionally playing it in clubs.

She says she wrote "The Rose" in response to her manager's suggestion that she write "some Bob Seger-type tunes" to try and get a record deal: McBroom obliged by writing "The Rose" in 45 minutes.

She said, “‘The Rose' is ... just one verse [musically] repeated three times. When I finished it, I realized it doesn't have a bridge or a hook, but I couldn't think of anything to [add]."

The movie “The Rose” was originally titled “Pearl” (after Janis Joplin's nickname, which was also the title of her last album), but the film's screenplay was revised and fictionalized after Joplin’s family declined to allow the producers the rights to her story.

The song was a massive hit for Bette Midler, peaking at #2 in Canada, #3 on the US Billboard Hot 100, and #6 in Australia.

Midler won the Grammy Award for Best Female Pop Vocal Performance for "The Rose", beating out formidable competition from Barbra Streisand and Donna Summer among others.

McBroom also won the Golden Globe Award for Best Original Song for "The Rose".

Click on the link below to watch:

On this day in 1987, the Whitesnake single “Here I Go Again” went to #1 on the US Hot 100 (October 10)

Originally released on their 1982 album “Saints & Sinners”, the power ballad was re-recorded for their 1987 self-titled album, and re-recorded again the same year in a new "radio-mix" version, which was released as a single.

The song written by lead singer, David Coverdale and former Whitesnake guitarist Bernie Marsden, features the lines in the original version:

“And here I go again on my own
Goin' down the only road I've ever known
Like a hobo I was born to walk alone”

In an interview, Coverdale explained that initially the lyrics had "drifter" but as that was already used in different songs he chose instead "hobo", however this was changed again to "drifter" in the re-recorded '87 version, apparently to ensure that it would not be misheard as "homo".

The ‘87 single also went to #1 in Canada, and was Top 10 in the UK, Ireland, New Zealand, and the Netherlands.

Click on the link below to watch the iconic video, featuring model Julie E. "Tawny" Kitaen, (who was married to Coverdale from 1989 to 1991), famously cavorting across the hoods of two Jaguar XJs which belonged to Coverdale (white) and video director Marty Callner (black):

On this day in 1970, the Neil Diamond single “Cracklin’ Rosie” went to #1 on the US Billboard Hot 100 (October 10)

It was Diamond’s first #1 as an artist in his own right, after writing the 1966 #1 “I’m a Believer” for The Monkees.

The song also went to #1 in Canada, New Zealand and South Africa, #2 in Australia, Ireland and Belgium, and #3 in the UK.

There are many stories about the meaning behind the lyrics, but "Cracklin' Rosie" is actually a bottle of wine.
Apparently Diamond got the idea from a folk story of an Indian tribe in Northern Canada who had more men than women.

He told Rolling Stone: "On Saturday nights when they go out, the guys all get their girl; the guys without girls get a bottle of Cracklin' Rosé, that's their girl for the weekend."

Click on the link below to watch:

Singer and frontman extraordinaire David Lee Roth was born in Bloomington, Indiana, on this day in 1954 (October 10)

As good an axeman that Eddie was, Van Halen would undoubtedly not been anywhere near the worldwide success that they were without the flamboyant, high-kicking Diamond Dave out front.

By the early 1980s, Van Halen was one of the most successful rock acts of the day, and with more than 80 million worldwide, they are still one of the best-selling groups of all time.

They are one of only five rock bands with two studio albums to sell more than 10 million copies in the US and are tied for the most multi-platinum albums by an American band.

The fun-loving, acrobatic and charismatic vocalist also had a successful solo career, with hits like “Just Like Paradise”, “Just a Gigolo”, and “California Girls”.

After decades of performing, in October 2021, Roth announced his intentions to retire from the stage following a final residency set at the House of Blues Las Vegas at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas from December to January 2022.

Dave was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2007 as a member of Van Halen.

Click on the link below to watch “Just Like Paradise”:

On this day in 1980, Flowers released the LP “Icehouse” (October 10)

One of the all-time best Australian rock debut LPs, the songs were written by frontman Iva Davies, and contained such gems as “Walls”, “We Can Get Together”, “Fatman”, “Sister”, “Can’t Help Myself”, and the title track.

The album peaked at #4 in Australia and remained in the charts for 45 weeks.

In October 2010, Icehouse (1980) by Flowers was listed in the book, 100 Best Australian Albums.

Classic Aussie rock album…

Click on the link below to watch “Walls”:

Yesterday in 1978, the Dragon single “Are you Old Enough?” went to #1 on the Australian charts (October 9)

The song from the “O Zambezi” LP with the iconic Paul Hewson arpeggio piano fill in the chorus was to be Dragon’s first and only #1 song, with “April Sun in Cuba” and “Rain” peaking at #2.

One of two brilliant songs from “O Zambezi” written by Paul Hewson, along with “Still in Love with You”:

Click on the link below to watch the clip:

Singer, songwriter, musician and producer Midge Ure was born James Ure in Cambuslang, Scotland, on this day in 1953 (October 10)

So where did the name “Midge” come from?

It’s a phonetic reversal of “Jim”, the colloquial version of his actual name James.

Ure was one of the most influential members of the UK 80s music scene.

He’s best known as a founding member of Visage, frontman of Ultravox, and co-organizer of the worldwide music charity events Band Aid, Live Aid and Live 8 with Bob Geldof.

He was a member of Rich Kids with former Sex Pistol Glen Matlock, also briefly a member of Thin Lizzy in ‘79-‘80, and co-wrote and produced the charity single "Do They Know It's Christmas?", which has sold 3.7 million copies in the UK.

Ure was the writer and producer of significant synthpop/new wave hit singles of the 1980s, including "Fade to Grey" (1980) by Visage and the Ultravox signature songs "Vienna" (1980) and "Dancing with Tears in My Eyes" (1984).

In 1985, his solo debut album “The Gift” spawned the UK #1 single "If I Was".

Click on the link below to watch “Vienna”:

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News