ADVERTISEMENT

"College Football Just Went Down the Tubes "

Ole Tom

Lake Baikal
Gold Member
Aug 30, 2001
Charlotte
Copied here is a letter to the editor of the WSJ about the Big10, but it could have been written about the SEC,Big 12, or the ACC. I love Clemson football and have followed our Tigers home and away for more than half a century. I am going to keep my season tickets and continue to support our Tigers. But I think this writers gets it right.

"Bob Greene’s op-ed “Inflation Devalues the Big Ten” (Aug. 30) misses the key point: Viewership will decline because college football has become a professional minor league. I stopped watching, and once your brain catches up to the new reality, you’ll stop watching too. People don’t watch college football for the quality of the game; the NFL is much better. We watch for tradition, nostalgia and our connections to universities. It’s remembering the campus where you went to school or visited or, like me, tried to sneak into parties as a high-school kid. I stopped watching when USC and UCLA announced their move to the Big Ten. I had swallowed previous breaks with tradition, and I was almost ready to accept Penn State as a real Big Ten team, but this was different. Now, we were the bad guys. We destroyed our 100-year partner to make a little more money. USC was looking to move, but we didn’t have to take them. When your best friend’s girlfriend winks at you, you don’t wink back. I couldn’t cheer for the Big Ten anymore. Every school approved adding USC and UCLA, ignoring tradition. They lost sight of what they were selling and assumed we would keep watching. Why should we? Without tradition, college football is simply mediocre football. DAN GOCHBERG Nashville""

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News