ADVERTISEMENT

*****DAY ONE SPRING PRACTICE NUGGETS

Larry_Williams

Senior Writer - Tigerillustrated.com
Staff
Oct 28, 2008
Basement

DAY ONE SPRING PRACTICE NUGGETS​

Dabo Swinney just wrapped up his press conference preceding the first practice of spring.

Here are some of the more important themes:

-- From the start of this press conference, it was clear the head coach isn't in the mood to hand out any bouquets for a 9-4 season.

He had just come from a team meeting that he said "got a little animated," and it felt like he continued some of the lines of thought he delivered to the team when he addressed us.

11.jpg
Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney is shown here Wednesday addressing the media on day one of spring practice. (Tigerillustrated.com)

A lot of self-scouting in recent months, so a lot of bothersome things at the top of mind from 2024 (mostly on the offensive side).

-- Obviously a big piece of news is Swinney making it official that Peter Woods is going to be lined up at end.

"He might be the fastest D-lineman we've had," he said when asked to compare him to Christian Wilkins. "Not that Christian was slow. Peter can fly. He's freaky. He's stronger. He's a freaky dude, man. He can play anywhere. He can play end at 290 and play it as fast as you need him to play it. He could probably play MIKE backer for us."

Swinney said Woods will be at a lighter weight for sure at end.

-- Dabo said center will be a battle among Ryan Linthicum, Harris Sewell and Trent Howard.

He reiterated what he said a couple months ago: "It's been a while since we've had seven offensive linemen back that have started and won games for us. That's where it starts."

He said Linthicum is eight.

Moving on to guard, Swinney had some pointed words for Dietrick Pennington.

Earlier in the press conference he praised Cade Klubnik for being what you look for in terms of his commitment exceeding his talent.

Pennington has been the opposite thus far.

"Can we ever get that kid to get his commitment greater than the talent? His talent is greater than the commitment. That’s kind of where it’s been with him. If we can get that changed, that kid can help us."

-- Speaking of Klubnik, he said it's time for him to take the next step.

I asked him how he defines that.

He said there were too many disasters (sacks, tackles for loss, fumbles).

He said only four of the interceptions were actually on Cade and he can live with that.

He also said only eight of the 29 sacks were on Klubnik.

But way too many tackles for loss, "and what that speaks to is pocket presence and pocket awareness."

Said he also has to grow in situational awareness.

"But he never wilted. He showed a ton of resilience and leadership and mental toughness."

"I’m a big believer in Cade Klubnik. He’s got to get bigger and stronger. Some of those fumbles, he’s just not strong enough. He's got to have a little more collision girth, collision sustainability where that ball doesn’t get popped out."

He also talked about the need for "explosive chemistry" between Klubnik and a receiving corps that was hit hard with injuries this time a year ago, and into the season.

"Availability of guys is going to be a real plus."

-- I asked Dabo about the importance of having competition at quarterback this spring, and how realistic that notion is that spring with Christopher Vizzina.

"We’ll see. I’m excited about CV. We signed him with the intention of redshirting. He was only 17 years old. ... I was really excited about what I saw in December. He really showed some development.

"It’s a big spring. Yeah I'd love to see some competition. Absolutely. By end of spring it’s his job to prove he can win for us. We need that from him. Same thing with Trent Pearman. We need him to take another step."

Said Vizzina is going to get all the second-team reps.

"We’re excited about him, but I need to see it."

Practice is starting now. We'll report back soon.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News