ADVERTISEMENT

From the "They Grow Up So Fast" Files...

Joe Cobb

The Jack Dunlap Club
Gold Member
Nov 6, 2008
As many of you know I am a proud Clemson grad... class of 1990. (yes I got my Masters from UGA, but don't hold that against me as Clemson didn't have the program at that time)

And a few of you know of me because of a short post I once wrote entitled, "The Bus Ride Around: aka Running Down the Hill"

The circumstances of that post were fairly simple, but poignant. Almost 20 years ago... on a message board, someone asked me, "What was it like to run down the hill?"
And as I sat at my kitchen table, holding my newborn son in one hand... slowly typing with the other... I answered. But my answer was directed at my young boy. I spent a few hours talking to this 3 month old about the joy, the emotional aspect of being loved and adored by thousands. I hoped he understood, that my love for him was greater than any that hill had to offer.

I suspect my emotional attachment to Clemson, to my young first born, my becoming a father... and reflecting on my youth were all embedded somehow in those words, as that post has been circulating for years now.

But those words were meant for him. A reflection of youth and joy, and the pride of a father watching his son fulfill a dream.

That spring afternoon seems so close... but the years have passed rapidly, as he is now a Junior at Clemson.

My children and wife are rabid Clemson fans now, dare I say more so than I ever was. I once thought I had 'changed' them or created their love for all things Orange.

In reality, it was Clemson that changed us all. Our experiences, our connections, our appreciation for our "school." My daughter has already set her sights on attending when she graduates high school in a couple of years, and with her grades and work ethics, I suspect she will be accepted as well.

Yesterday, we found out that little chubby baby boy... the one that inspired a simple post... has been accepted to study abroad. He will be moving to Glasgow, Scotland in January.
I'm thrilled, and heartbroken. No one ever tells you about this aspect of parenthood...
How pride and emotional gut punches come in these waves.

What's that Coach always says? "The fun is in the winning?"
Enjoy the fun. Enjoy the wins.

Our kids grow up too fast

So I'm a proud dad.
I'm proud of my kids, and what Clemson has given them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News