ADVERTISEMENT

Going by what the Bible says - man only President

SDTiger9

Woodrush
Gold Member
Jan 27, 2005
San Diego
Most of you know I tend to focus on the context than the content details of a story of a position. Meaning I can give a rats ass about CEO Rios opinion on whether or not a woman should be President. It's quite irrelevant to me. Americans IMO get way to wrapped up in a single persons content as opposed to the bigger context at play here.

What I'm about to address isn't something new but I'm interested in hearing from passioned people who have similar ways of thinking. How do highly intelligent people SELECTIVELY utilize a text that to them means everything to them in terms of making certain decisions but expose themselves terribly in reality.

I have respect for liberals to conservatives and even extremists if you can demonstrate a clear path to the conclusion. I may not agree with your stance but at least I know where you are coming from. So, this CEO who has a proclaimed deep Christian faith says a woman shouldn't be President because of hormones and a strong Christian background. However women can be doctors lawyers whatever, basically any position other than Commander in Chief.

Remember, I'm strictly talking about the ability to support an argument.
1. Hormones - OK, I can see what she is generally getting at. There is basic data that we act differently due to hormones so there is merit to that. However, wouldn't you be concerned about a woman going through a massive mood swing at the time of your ER trauma? What about women in control of billions of dollars and jobs? But ok, we'll let it pass so far.
2. Strong Christian background - why continue to bastardized a religious background and biblical text when you've already stated a woman can basically ANYTHING other than be President. She wants women to Aspire to be anything you want but make sure you are serving your man dinner at home. Quit abusing Christianity and the Bible, you can't have it both ways.

Why do deep rooted Christians cheapen their Christian faith by selectively picking things that support their view but at the same time completely discredit their faith. I firmly believe most that use their faith do it as a failsafe thinking they are giving people no where else to go. When in reality all they do is distance themselves from making a legitimate argument and people write them off because they try to use religion as a safeguard and fail miserably 95% of the time. It's a heck of a lot easier to say, " I think Hillary sucks because of decades worth of poor decisions". Instead you abuse your faith like many do.

CEO woman says Man only for President.

Hasn't Hilary basically already served two terms...
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Meh..she's just spouting garbage. I don't know if she cited any passages, but it wasn't NT. But, she's welcome to her opinion... And if it keeps people for voting for HC, then I'm all for it.

My Christian faith is as deeply rooted as anyone's, and I don't know of anything in the Bible that would give anyone the idea that a woman shouldn't be president.

The New Testament does say that women shouldn't lead the church, but it says nothing about secular organizations.

You would have to take that question up with God. After all, it's his word and Christianity isn't served a la carte.

Reactions: boosetiger
Just another example of people using {insert religion here} to support their rural mindedness, bigotry and/or to justify their worldview...

People that claim this read the Bible and then paint with broad brush strokes instead of researching when/where and to whom the books/chapters were written.

The only texts speaking to women not teaching/remaining quiet is in Paul's letters to respective churches. Each time there was a history of women slandering/starting drama in those churches.

Was there a religious concern about about the gender Gov. Palin in 2008 or Rep. Bachmann in 2012? Both, especially Bachmann, are devout, evangelical Christians. There is much to discredit Hilliary Clinton candidacy, but I am not sure that gender should be one of them.

Originally posted by CU4734:
What is the reason behind saying a woman can't lead the church?
Because the Bible was written by a bunch of bigots.

Can anyone say with any real certainty that Hillary is, in fact, a woman?

Originally posted by ChiefTiger:
Can anyone say with any real certainty that Hillary is, in fact, a woman?
I suppose it could be proven one way or another, but I am NOT signing up for that job!
roll.r191677.gif

I would answer your question by simply saying there is a strong difference between faith and religion. Many are deeply rooted in religion, not in faith.

Many are deeply rooted in traditions and the church, but not in faith in Him. That's why so many pull the religion or Christianity card when it is convenient, leading to a lot of hypocrisy.

If the Bible says anything about the right form of government I suggest an endorsement of a monarchy. The American Revolution was in violation of two Scriptural edicts: pay your taxes and obey the civil authorities.

Originally posted by SDTiger9:
Most of you know I tend to focus on the context than the content details of a story of a position. Meaning I can give a rats ass about CEO Rios opinion on whether or not a woman should be President. It's quite irrelevant to me. Americans IMO get way to wrapped up in a single persons content as opposed to the bigger context at play here.

What I'm about to address isn't something new but I'm interested in hearing from passioned people who have similar ways of thinking. How do highly intelligent people SELECTIVELY utilize a text that to them means everything to them in terms of making certain decisions but expose themselves terribly in reality.

I have respect for liberals to conservatives and even extremists if you can demonstrate a clear path to the conclusion. I may not agree with your stance but at least I know where you are coming from. So, this CEO who has a proclaimed deep Christian faith says a woman shouldn't be President because of hormones and a strong Christian background. However women can be doctors lawyers whatever, basically any position other than Commander in Chief.

Remember, I'm strictly talking about the ability to support an argument.
1. Hormones - OK, I can see what she is generally getting at. There is basic data that we act differently due to hormones so there is merit to that. However, wouldn't you be concerned about a woman going through a massive mood swing at the time of your ER trauma? What about women in control of billions of dollars and jobs? But ok, we'll let it pass so far.
2. Strong Christian background - why continue to bastardized a religious background and biblical text when you've already stated a woman can basically ANYTHING other than be President. She wants women to Aspire to be anything you want but make sure you are serving your man dinner at home. Quit abusing Christianity and the Bible, you can't have it both ways.

Why do deep rooted Christians cheapen their Christian faith by selectively picking things that support their view but at the same time completely discredit their faith. I firmly believe most that use their faith do it as a failsafe thinking they are giving people no where else to go. When in reality all they do is distance themselves from making a legitimate argument and people write them off because they try to use religion as a safeguard and fail miserably 95% of the time. It's a heck of a lot easier to say, " I think Hillary sucks because of decades worth of poor decisions". Instead you abuse your faith like many do.
I don't know that every time somebody says something about what's in the Bible that's unpopular or that doesn't seem to make sense to a lot of people that it's because they're cherry picking. But a lot of times people get what's in the Bible wrong because of these (among other) reasons: they have a simplistic theology; they don't know or care much about theology and don't pay much attention to what church leaders say; or their church leaders are uneducated and/or misinformed about scriptural theology.

But this happens just as much, if not more often, among people who try to shut religious people up. I've seen lots of people trying to make people think they're clever by bringing up Jewish dietary restrictions or old Jewish law, or by bringing up New Testament exhortations to love as if they invalidate any other moral precept.

People should be careful about the way they deploy Christianity in politics, but they also shouldn't make the mistake of thinking that Christianity has no political relevance.

Originally posted by Transference:
Just another example of people using {insert religion here} to support their rural mindedness, bigotry and/or to justify their worldview...
You are either ignorant or pure stupid! How does being a Christian make you a bigot?

Originally posted by Orange&Purple:
You are either ignorant or pure stupid! How does being a Christian make you a bigot?
smh... thats not even close to what he said. he didnt even mention Christianity. He is just saying this is an example of a person USING religion to justify their idiotic belief. It happens with every religion.

Not all religious people are bigots, but this woman is, and she is using her religion (which happens to be Christianity) to justify it.

Though IgaChoochoo

Posted.

Realized he didn't.

Thanks, and this seems to be a great post.
flush.r191677.gif

Originally posted by iceheart08:

ec
I have to admit, I FF'ed the whole thread, but good goddamn....I am at a loss here.

IceHeart - I am a 44 year old progressive/lib. This GIF might be disgusting. Still deciding.,

Originally posted by na_alum:

Originally posted by iceheart08:

ec
I have to admit, I FF'ed the whole thread, but good goddamn....I am at a loss here.

IceHeart - I am a 44 year old progressive/lib. This GIF might be disgusting. Still deciding.,
hahaha. its from the southpark episode on hillary clinton. its definitely disgusting.

The snuke is coming though...

just WTF is "rural mindedness"? Is something along the lines of Transference is a moron. You and your damm regulatory impact analysis. GFY. turd with ears.

Because the Bible was written by a bunch of bigots.
Can you tell me what group of men in 1 AD that would not be bigots by your standard? Are you suggesting we should have waited 2,000 years so your enlightened generation could get it right? Some might consider that a pretty arrogant attitude. Do you think you're smarter than the men who wrote the best selling book of all time and remains the most influential work in history as well as considered relevant by some of the leading intellectuals today?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT