Owner - Publisher of Tigerillustrated.com
Staff
May 29, 2001
tigerillustrated.com
-----

LATE-WEEK CLEMSON FOOTBALL & RECRUITING INSIDER
By: Paul Strelow

We need to talk.

You've got questions, we've got answers or opinions.

In this popular feature, Tigerillustrated.com digs into recruiting- and team-related topics broached by our subscribers.

Off we go ...

bryan1545: With Lannden Zanders being done and Sergio Allen transferring, which positions are most likely to get an additional number for 2023? And anyone in mind to keep an eye on?

PAUL: I think it would take additional and unforeseen departures at either of those positions -- or any position, for that matter -- for Clemson to add a position number at this stage.

Wes Goodwin technically has 10 scholarship linebackers slated to be on the books next season, excluding presumed NFL departure Trenton Simpson. I don't think Allen's exit was a surprise so much as the timing was.

But even if one or both of the projected redshirt seniors in Keith Maguire or LaVonta Bentley doesn't return, I don't see the good in bringing in a body for a body's sake. Which, in my opinion, is what happened at the tail end of the 2022 class and only winds up compounding issues.

Whether Goodwin and/or Dabo Swinney decide the same ... we'll just have to wait and see. How they feel about T.J. Dudley and Kobe McCloud by the end of the fall could influence that thinking.

Per my intel, Clemson's plan right now is to sit tight there.

Here's believing the likelihood greater that Clemson would bring in another safety over a linebacker. In so much as there are simply more attractive and/or logical candidates still out there.

Bogart (Ga.) North Oconee's Khalil Barnes, a Wake Forest commitment, is off to a big start to his senior season -- which has UGA sniffing again. Mickey Conn was in on Barnes before anyone else, he's a fit and has forged relationships with several Clemson players.

Not saying the Tigers are moving at all in that direction yet because they aren't. But should Barnes eventually reopen his recruitment, that's a situation that could pique their interest.

But it's going to take the right prospect to prompt Clemson to take another safety as circumstances stand.

1663272445726.png
Clemson four-star true freshman linebacker T.J. Dudley. (Alex Hicks - USA Today Sports)

That's a stance that will probably hold across the board. See who's available come November or even January and assess whether they are oversign-worthy. The market always features some new names through coaching departures or prospects taking the life raft away from sinking ships.

captainclemson: On scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being almost no change and 10 being a complete overhaul of the scheme, what would you rate the difference between Clemson’s offense schematically from 2021 to 2022?

PAUL: The initial number that comes to mind is 3, so let's go with it.

As Larry expressed yesterday, it's fair to wonder whether the Tigers have held some plays back to use once more threatening opponents arrive -- meaning N.C. State for sure, and perhaps Wake Forest if necessary.

While the outcomes looked much the same in the first half against Georgia Tech, and the playcalls vanilla understandably against Furman, I do think there have been a number of subtle changes that football coaches would characterize as substantial.

As we've documented, some of the route concepts are different and require read-and-reaction from quarterback and receiver alike. The techniques in executing offensive line blocking have changed under Thomas Austin, which isn't something that's going to be visible to you or me.

There have been more routes to the middle of the field, if only incrementally. More power runs for the quarterback, fewer to the perimeter.

I think that any notion the offense stood to look demonstrably different structurally was going to be misguided.

What they call from the playbook and when they call it -- that's what figured to be what distinguished the offensive identity under Brandon Streeter from Tony Elliott.

The play-action touchdown pass from DJ Uiagalelei to Jake Briningstool didn't warrant a trademark for innovative creation. But we haven't heard anyone talking about it as credit for a new wrinkle or philosophical shift either, and that's just not a play the Tigers have shown near the goal line in a long time.

The story of Clemson's coordinator changes are going to be in the small details, in my estimation.

cedceb: Has the early success of Antonio Williams adjusted Clemson's thinking on the mold of receivers needed in future classes? The staff clearly at one point -- with Nathaniel Joseph -- saw the need for playmakers who can get separation. What should we expect in the class of 2024?

PAUL: I don't have any evidence suggesting Williams' early returns have changed Clemson's approach, nor do I think they would.

Because it was evident to them when they aggressively went after Joseph to begin the 2023 class, and one of the first two offers for the 2024 cycle went to Burlington (N.C.) Cummings four-star Jonathan Paylor, who more resembles the hybrid running back/receiver mold the Tigers used to employ.

Based on actions, we can conclude Tyler Grisham and Swinney are not so much hung up on receiver types as they are identifying wideouts they like and going after them.

Now, neither of this year's commitments pigeonhole into one of Clemson's more traditional typecasts.

We've expressed that the Tigers valued receiver toughness more than ever this cycle because of the apparent shortfall of it within the current cupboard.

1663272537667.png
Burlington (N.C.) Cummings four-star Clemson offer and Dabo Swinney camper Jonathan Paylor. (Tigerillustrated.com)

Yet it's important to remember that when Clemson made its move on Rockwall (Texas) four-star Noble Johnson, Joseph was still in the fold. Johnson committed before Joseph left. But they liked Cambridge (Mass.) Buckingham Browne & Nichols four-star Ronan Hanafin so much, and had positioned themselves in such contention, that it was a decision to follow through on the guy they liked rather than trying to find and possibly force a fit from a different body type and skill set.

So at least in my eyes, it wasn't so much that they doubled down on bigger perimeter types. It's just how the chips fell this time.

Personally, I don't know how you could not have watched Alabama the previous two years or the peak LSU season and not found appeal in going the direction of downsizing in trade for speed.

The Miami Dolphins took it to the extreme this offseason and have expressed the intent to "get drunk off" yards after catch, and the change suddenly made Tua Tagovailoa look like a functional NFL quarterback.

Bottom line, Clemson could use some more playmaking to take some burden off its quarterback. That can come in all sizes and speeds, but we've seen more of a shift toward speed among the most modernized offenses.

Clemson's other 2024 receiver offer belongs to Greensboro (N.C.) Grimsley four-star Alex Taylor, who has plenty of assets but isn't a prospect you'd put in the quick or speedy category necessarily.

jwilliamsiii: Do you think the loss of James Skalski and Baylon Spector, and their knowledge and experience, set this defense back a bit? There has to be some benefit to the Renfrow-esque 19 years combined experience they brought to the table.

PAUL: Know-how matters, and that was among their assets. I'd also contend that Skalski had some liabilities that were increasingly exposed, and Brent Venables rode with his guy.

But I don't believe linebacker play has set this defense back.

Neither has played to their potential yet, mind you.

Yet I am far from concluding this defense has been set back.

The Furman performance was meh at best. You know what? It was Furman. Human players cannot and do not get up for every single game. It's not possible.

Moreover, I think if you saw Swinney address the team when they deboarded the buses before Tiger Walk -- in light of the news involving Bryan Bresee's sister, amid gloomy and dreary weather -- it just felt like that kind of day, you know?

Heavy hearts aren't an excuse. But this was not an energized, joyful scene or group, from my observation.

I don't think we can take what we've watched through two weeks and extrapolate it to be what Clemson's defense is or will be.

Now, it's my opinion the defense was overhyped a bit through the offseason. I needed to see more from the defensive ends to accept the defensive line warranted the dominant designation, and most of the pieces in the secondary aren't stars. There's also the reasonable question for what the defense's identity would be in taking on Goodwin's personality in contrast to that of Venables.

Within the linebacker bubble, you have Trenton Simpson playing a new position along with Barrett Carter and Jeremiah Trotter both getting extended run for the first time. Keith Maguire has also taken on a much greater role. So it's easy to understand why there will be imperfections as they grow into those responsibilities.

It's also fair to judge that Simpson has had his share of miscues to go with his share of wow plays. Trotter is still green.

I get why Swinney has increasingly poked at the defense in his comments this week. Whatever works to motivate, by all means, and it's not the first time over the last month he has tried to make sure they haven't gotten too big for their britches.

You'd prefer not to have to light the fire, and maybe that's a red flag.

But my bet is Clemson gets the defensive response this week.

In my estimation, we aren't going to see what this defense truly is until the intensity of the next two ACC contests, both as far as personnel performance as well as how Goodwin pulls the strings.

1663272586077.png
Phenix City (Ala.) four-star defensive end Tomarrion Parker isn't yet ready to render a college decision, but Clemson remains in good shape as of mid-September. (Rivals.com)

atiger81: With all the relationship angles we have with Phenix City (Ala.) Central four-star defensive end Tomarrion Parker, is the only thing that can beat Clemson for his commitment an NIL package? Do you feel he is the type of recruit who is susceptible to that approach?

PAUL: My intel points to Tennessee as No. 2 in the competition.

So while that could justifiably affirm your hypothesis, one would think the Vols would be in Clemson's pole position if a payday was the overriding factor.

To be fair, while Tennessee and many schools unabashedly want to be seen as the employers where you'll make the most money, let's also not ignore that the Vols could be of interest because they're on the uptick, too.

Furthermore, while I'm no fan personally of basing life decisions strictly on money, let's not pretend that money cannot or should not be a consideration in one's decision-making either.

All that said, as we've framed, all the tentacles Clemson has around Parker in this recruitment bode strongly in its favor. But to say buying Parker is the only way the Tigers lose would be disingenuous.

A momentum-turning visit elsewhere, Clemson's season going sour -- odds might be highly against such events. But it's recruiting, stuff happens, and so things like that cannot be ruled out yet either.

Again, though, Clemson is by far the team to beat. But the Tigers have to let it play out.

NOW AVAILABLE: 2022 NIKE Pegasus Shoes in stock at The Tiger Fan Shop HERE!

1663272326443.png

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News