Owner - Publisher of Tigerillustrated.com
Staff
May 29, 2001
tigerillustrated.com
Monday Clemson Football Nuggets
By: Larry Williams

(From today's availability)

CADE KLUBNIK

-- He had a lot of fun during the open date getting away and recharging. Spent some time in the Asheville area.

-- Wake game was the second-worst game that I've played behind Duke. But I have to flush it. Had a great week last week.

I wasn’t really letting it rip vs. Wake. I wasn’t seeing a few things. I don’t think it was anything anybody else did. You play a lot of football and games are going to happen like that.

-- On his biggest area of improvement this season: I've improved at just playing free and just letting it rip, not second-guessing anything but just letting it fly.

Said a big emphasis moving forward is on winning the middle-8 (last four of first half, first four of second half).

-- I asked him how much more dynamic this offense can be with Antonio Williams back.

He said there were a lot of questions about the WR room entering the year.

"I don’t hear that anymore."

He rattled off a long list of guys who have made big-time plays.

"And it's only halfway through the year."

"That is really good for an offense with that many making big contributions. That’s what I’ve been most proud of more than anything."

Said Williams is one of the best receivers in the country without a doubt, if not the best.

"Excited to have him back. But I'm excited to have anybody out there."

-- Hasn't paid any attention to the conference race.

"None of that matters if we don’t win this week. It really doesn’t.

Hopefully we win the next six and then we’ll look up and see what happens. Nobody is for sure in or out for sure right now."

KHALIL BARNES

-- Said it's cool to be in the flow of things now as a team. We know who we are and we know how to win.

-- They needed the mental break that came with the bye week.

-- He's a lot more confident now. Game experience means so much. Everything slows down.

-- He practiced with the team during bowl prep last year and he said it was a big part of his development. And he said the same is true of Shelton Lewis. They knew what to expect when spring practice started. He played scout-team receiver during bowl prep.

-- A lot of people assumed the secondary was a weak part of the defense entering this season. Noted that the secondary was quite banged up last year. Said they have lots of depth with guys who can play fast.

-- He prepared like he was a starter. So now playing is a lot like practice. His confidence comes from film study and practice.

-- Said he chose DB over WR in high school because people in his corner thought he had a higher ceiling at the former position.

-- Swinney told the secondary they lost their swagger last year. This year they've established a whole new mindset: If they give up a play, just move on to the next play. He said the receivers in practice make this secondary better.

-- Said Miami is a big challenge. Can't come out slow just because they didn't play last week. Will probably be a rowdy stadium.

-- Tyler Van Dyke will be one of the best they've seen so far. And he has so many weapons around him. Can't just focus on him.

-- He thinks this secondary can be as good as anyone in the country. He thinks even short-handed so far they're one of the best. He likes Nate Wiggins against any receiver in college football.

-- He said the reason he's been successful is the leadership and camaraderie with Andrew Mukuba, RJ Mickens and Jalyn Phillips.

MARCUS TATE

-- On going back home: Said he's trying to get two tickets from all of his teammates.

"I could bring the whole city."

-- On the OL six games in:

"We play hard. We play to the whistle. A lot of us are playing a lot of snaps. I think we’ve protected the QB well this year. We've got to improve in the run game with our technique. We’re hungrier as we get to this part of the season.

"Sometimes it’ll be just one guy here and there messing up."

-- I asked him about the guard-tackle counters and such that are so prevalent in Garrett Riley's running scheme. He said they work that play all the time and it's been successful. He said they're averaging 7.5 yards per rush on the GT counter.

-- On Cade Klubnik:

"At times a lot of young quarterbacks go through it, get rattled a little early and it throws them off. He’s gotten better at that as the season has progressed. He makes a lot of exceptional plays and has improved each game."

-- Came to Clemson because he wanted to get away from city life. That allows him to focus a lot better.

"I was just looking for something different."

-- Said Harris Sewell is an aggressive dude and takes his job seriously. Said it's important to him. Really mature and listens. He's getting better each play and each week.

-- Said it was a challenge getting used to Tristan Leigh and Collin Sadler alternating so much at the position to his immediate left, but he feels good about it now and has learned the different style from each.

BLAKE MILLER

-- His evaluation of the OL:

"We've been on the rise. We're closer than we were last year. We use adversity to fuel us. I know certain fans feel a certain type of way about us, but we’re full speed ahead and locked in. Negative comments, you can’t let that get to you. Fans have high standards and we have high standards. We all want to win.

Thomas Austin does a good job of making sure that the only opinions that matter are from the guys in this facility, in our OL room.

-- He said Cade Klubnik has really settled in as the season has gone on. He’s been a guy pumping us up on the sideline.

-- On the running game:

We’ve seen in practice and in games that we can run the football against whoever. We need to let it not rattle us when we have one or two plays that don’t go as planned.

-- On Harris Sewell:

He just has a knack for it. When I saw him in beside me I didn’t think twice about it. I just thought: 'Harris is here, let’s ball.'

I’d trust him to play left guard, right guard, center. He's always in meetings asking questions. I’m confident in him. He plays very physical in the run game and with good technique and really good hands. When he got to Clemson he didn't look like a freshman. Everyone in the OL room took notice of it.

BIG SALE on officially-licensed Clemson apparel & gear at The Tiger Fan Shop HERE!

https://clemson.rivals.com/news/the-here-and-now-7

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News