ADVERTISEMENT

********More from UNC

Larry_Williams

Senior Writer - Tigerillustrated.com
Staff
Oct 28, 2008
Basement
Brian Murphy of WRAL has an article up and it's quite a read.

He also talked with the BOT chair, and Bubba Cunningham.

Full story is here, but relaying some of the more eye-opening quotes:

"The conference is not acting as if it is representing the best interests of the member schools including the top tier of those schools - Clemson, Florida State, North Carolina," UNC Board of Trustees chairman John Preyer told WRAL on Wednesday.

"Instead, it is acting at the expense of those schools to prop up the bottom tier of the conference in a way that I think is a gross abdication of responsibility. And I lay that at the feet of the commissioner."
"Carolina has a great recognition that our brand is of interest to other conferences," Preyer said. "And rather than let Carolina explore that, it seems as if the conference and its commissioner want to deny any conversation or latitude that would even potentially allow for that. It's a member organization and I don't feel like all the members of the conference are being well served by that kind of leadership."
"We have great alignment with our board, with our general counsel and I think that's helpful," UNC athletic director Bubba Cunningham told WRAL on Wednesday.

He said the Tar Heels will not be left out of the top tier of college athletics.

"We believe the success they have demonstrated throughout the years will ensure we always have a place to play in the most highly competitive conference, division or whatever the future of college athletics looks like," Cunningham said. "We will be a part of it."
And ESPN, which is the ACC's most important partner in that it owns all of the league's television rights, can decide within the next year if it wants to extend its deal for nine more years through 2036, a detail that became public in Florida State's lawsuit.

Now schools are suing the ACC, which is suing right back.

"It just adds to the uncertainty of the future of the league and college athletics in general," Cunningham said.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News