ADVERTISEMENT

My Random baseball thoughts after the first 2 weekends

crope1

The Jack Dunlap Club
Gold Member
Apr 13, 2010
My thoughts 2 weeks into the season

Defense has to improve. When your starting SS has almost many errors as hit, there is an issue. This is even more of an issue when your SS is hitting well. The good thing as this can be fixed in practice IF the players want to get better. That is a big IF, because it is much easier to get college level kids to work on the hitting than the fielding.

Despite how fast and athletic this team is, we have only had 3 stolen bases, all of which are from Ciufo. Part of this can be explained by Cam’s injury and Taylor really struggling, but still surprised someone like Wright, Mathes or Nawrocki has not gotten more opportunities to attempt a steal. I am hoping they are saving that part of the game to unleash on the chickens next weekend.

Will Taylor is obviously struggling, but I do not know if you can drop him in the lineup. If his issues are confidence right now, dropping him might do more harm than good. He is putting the ball in play and not striking out, so I think that is a good sign. It seems to me that he may be trying to hit for more power, in an effort to improve his draft stock. Whatever it is, it needs to get addressed ASAP.

We have found at least 2 LH bats that may be able to help us off the bench. McCladdie had 2 hits in good at bats in the blowout game. He is also pretty good on defense too, so I would like to see him get a start midweek this week. I think him and Purify will be a big part of next years team. Also, Brodey Conn showed he has some power from the left hand side. I would not be mad if, when we are in need of a long ball from a LF pinch hitter, if he gets the at bat over Bissetta. I have seen enough from Bissetta for me to think we have better options on the roster than him.

I really like the idea of Hinderleider at first base. I have not been impressed with Blauser, in as much his at bats look a lot like Jarrell’s last season. Hinderleider can swing the bat, and you could see his athleticism over there on the play he made Saturday. I think he is clearly one of the top 9 guys.

Mathes has been a big help offensively, but I do not think he gets enough attention for his arm strength. That arm strength is a weapon defensively.

Purify has been in 5 of the 7 games. He has only gotten 7 at bats, but I think him getting in this often will benefit the team by seasons end.

Nawrocki made an outstanding play on defense this weekend. It blows my mind how someone is as athletic as he is, and capable of making that play, can miss so many routine plays (physically and mentally). It has to either be a mental thing, or he struggles of soft contact to him.

Barlow is struggling, and most of it is due to command of his fastball. That should be an easy fix, but I wonder how many more opportunities he gets to correct it. With the chicken series coming up, if he gets the start on Friday you can guarantee he will be on a short leash.

Smith and Knaak are very good. Most of Smith’s contact so far has been ground balls, which obviously limits the damage per hit. Knaak looked studly on Sunday, and I think he will be the ace by season’s end. He will be the Friday night starter next year barring injury.

I am questioning whether Hughes is healthy. Last season he was throwing mid 90s, and Saturday he was barely touching 90, with some fastballs at 88. Odd to see that much of a drop in velocity. I really like the rest of the bullpen. I am hoping Mahlstedt can take some of the innings away from Clayton, as he appears to be the better pitcher, and they have a lot of similarities. We just have to work on his pick off throws. The biggest question we have is who is going to be the left handed pitcher out of the bullpen in critical situations. Reid strikes out the side in one innings, then gets roughed up the next. He is very difficult to figure out. Leguernic has had some struggles as well. I think Darden is a solid option, and hopefully Bailey returns soon and provides some help. Reid and Leguernic have good stuff, but Reid has never put it together, and its hard to get a read on the freshman quite yet. I personally think he will get better the more he pitches, but we will see.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News