ADVERTISEMENT

Offensive Analysis of Syracuse Game

Just][V][e

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2011
The offense starts up front, so let's start there. RG is a problem at the moment and it is clear Mayes is the weakest link here. Not to dogpile on him, but he made many mistakes (especially during the 2nd half) that in one case just destroyed an entire drive because he was beaten on every play and also had a false start called on him. They played Trent Howard there for some of the game, and he struggled as well. I understand why they like Mayes, he is very physically strong when things are in front of him, but he is struggling with his feet and movement at the moment. If you hit him straight ahead, though, he likely isn't going anywhere and neither are you.

I still stand with my previous position, that I like Colin Sadler more than Tristan Leigh. Leigh has the better measurables and looks more like the ideal LT, but in my opinion he gets stud straight-up a lot in the run game because he struggles to get low. Sadler is listed as the same height, but he seems to play lower and I think his mindset and motor are superior. I think Sadler has shorter arms, which make him possibly more susceptible to a good end rusher.

Blake Miller is our best OL. His pass-pro is excellent and I haven't seen anyone really challenge him yet. Most of the time he makes the opponent a non-factor. He also has the best push on the whole OL. Why are we not running off-tackle toward him more? We did a couple of times against Cuse, and he knocked his guy back five yards each time. He is your star on the OL, we need to use him better.

Cade had an excellent game, the only thing I could say needs improvement is he needs to just step up in the pocket sometimes, the room is there. He needs to improve inside pocket presence. When he gets outside the pocket, he is as dangerous a QB as we have had, especially with Brown out there.

This might be controversial, but as good as we were told these RBs are, I think they are likely overrated. They are good, solid backs, but compared to some in the past, I don't think they are at their level. I don't think Shipley as good/natural vision. There were a few plays against Cuse, where if he just makes a cut-back, he is running for a long time, but it seemed like he already has his mind made up where he was going to go. I think Mafah's vision and patience are better, and I think he is the overall better runner. However, it is clear that on many of our run plays the RBs need to make the safety miss to spring a big play. Neither Shipley or Mafah show the capability to make a man miss regularly or to get the safety to commit to the wrong gap or angle and then cut back. We really are lacking there. They seem to lack agility. Their pass-pro pickups were better in Syracuse than they were in FAU.

Tyler Brown is an excellent football player! It is apparent he has tremendous natural awareness of what is going on at all times. He recognizes very early when the play is breaking down and Cade needs an option and immediately starts working back to him. He gives his best effort always and his awareness of where everyone is and how the play is going, makes him special. He also has better running vision than our RBs and can make people miss. We need to use him in the running game more.

Sorry for the length. That is all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News