ADVERTISEMENT

Oregon and Washington are bait and additional thoughts on expansion

CrouchingTiger72

Lake Baikal
Gold Member
Oct 20, 2014
No way the B1G is making a play for Oregon and UW. The talk is real between the two parties it seems and maybe the noise is For others to try and jump now thinking they will lose the opportunity. The B1G already studied the idea if they added equal value to the league and determined they did not and from what other connected have said Southern Cal does not want either in the B1G. They want the West coast to themselves with UCLA. I am sure that they already know what adds value and are just waiting for our league to explode.

One thing that I haven't seen discussed is ESPN is 60 percent of the TV partnership with the Big 12. for the new deal. 40 percent is Fox Sports. The deal with the ACC is they have the bulk of the TV rights(close to 90 percent of games) and are a partner in the ACC network with the league. If Disney is seeking out partnerships for ESPN and also to possibly sell networks off then there are less above board ways to do accomplish this goal. Them completely not bidding even peanuts for the Pac 12 is one while also discreetly encouraging expansion Big 12 expansion. They want some West Coast inventory for time slots after all. Plus its a 60/40 split on the rights cost. Arizona has the same board of regents as ASU so I don't know how they can do one without the other unless its clear the TV partners only want one because they have their eye on the East for inventory. With the SEC does ESPN really need that? More importantly can they afford it?

So if ESPN wanted to keep inventory in all regions but at a discount, you would be cool with the conferences poaching some schools especially if you owned a smaller percentage of those same rights. It is worth noting that as a network partner ABC is sucking wind. ABC as a network is in decline finishing in the deep third position with 30 million less viewers than CBS(1st place). NBC had more time slot winners then any network but CBS programming had significantly higher total viewers. Fox with half the overall viewers still won the most viewers in the 18-49 demographic. Since Bob Iger has openly posited the thought of selling ABC off, it makes one wonder, who would buy it? and why? Since there is a current writers and actors strike, what are they going to show? Reruns of shows that are already completely horrible. Most of the highly rated reality shows are Fox and NBC.

All of this makes for a blood in the water moment for those competitors of ESPN and ESPN needs a Bigger Boat. Immediately

There is enough uncertainty in the media landscape that going on the attack whether by the Theater which was the FSU BOT grandstanding or by stealth is warranted. Call me crazy but my thinking is the money will not be bigger than it is today so I expect movement soon regardless of the GOR and legal troubles.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News