ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Getting Closer (SC BBQ book)

jroller

Lake Baikal
Gold Member
Jan 12, 2003
Mount Pleasant, SC
destination-bbq.com
So the cookbook is in its proof stage. Got proofs from Lulu (2) and Amazon (1), Used those to test cover types (gloss vs matte), paper thickness (60, 70, and 80# papers), and standard color vs. premium.

Winners: matte looks nicer, but fingerprints, so gloss. 80# coated paper, and premium color by a longshot.

One more test awaits: a proof from a printer in China. Then a decision on the best choice moving forward. At this point, on price alone, China is in the lead. Amazon is the least complicated and appears to be the most affordable US option, but even then I would have to charge $65.99 to make a bit of profit after all the printing and middlemen costs. That, obviously, is a problem, even for a 300-page, hardcover book.

I recognize the natural resistance to the Chinese option, but it would likely mean $20+ less in retail price (at least for direct sales from me; still not sure about distribution), but the turnaround time is about 9 weeks from giving the okay, which pushes late into the Christmas season.

One final hurdle: Hanna Raskin, former P&C Food Editor, suggested having the "First Amendment Clinic" at Duke review the book to clear any legal concerns, so I have a message into them.

Stay tuned...

Proofs.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News