ADVERTISEMENT

Poll about social media

Are you afraid or concerned about posting on social media?

• Yes. I’m concerned about my job/livelihood about posting or liking something controversial.

Votes: 123 20.8%
  • Yes, but I’m fairly confident the cancel culture is limited to “names” and not regular people

Votes: 11 1.9%
  • Everyone should limit what they say on social media

Votes: 141 23.9%
  • I post anonymously so I’m fine.

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • No. Cancel culture isn’t a real threat.

Votes: 9 1.5%
  • No. Don’t play stupid games and you won’t win stupid prizes.

Votes: 84 14.2%
  • Don’t do social media.

Votes: 219 37.1%

• Total voters
Why should social media be abolished because people misuse it? Plenty of people use it just to stay in touch with friends and family. It's not social media's fault that people decide to post stupid and controversial stuff on it.
You answered your own question.

Things like calling out non-white people for their racism, pointing out scientific facts like there is no such thing as a transgender person but there are a lot of people suffering from mental illness, etc. Just basic, scientific facts that the left has decided to ignore or outright defy.
No one doubts that there is racism from non-white people. That racism does not negate racism from whites or from you. Yes, there are transgender people. That universe may be smaller than the people who believe themselves to be transgender. I don't know and there is no science to make that determination. Nature does make mistakes bestowing personality tendencies and sexual desires of one sex and at least some of the physicality of a different sex.

BTW, people on the left say offensive things as well. You just laid out a few on the flip side. People who love guns don't all have fantasies about using them. Not all cops are racists.

Reactions: fcctiger12
Ditched all but one platform a coupe of years ago. The only reason that it was not a "clean" sweep is that one of the worst is my primary means of staying in touch with extended family (some in far-flung locales), and former employees and coworkers.

I find "social media" to be a cesspool, that one has to wade through to find the occasional "nugget."

You nailed it, and IMO, the biggest issue here is that people just don't understand the law.

People like to compare how Dylan Roof and George Floyd were treated, illustrating a false point of white privilege. George Floyd died because he didn't follow the law once police arrived. Dylan Roof followed the law once police arrived, so he lived. Black or white had nothing to do with it. One guy followed the law, the other continued to break it.

Now, don't be silly and try to put words in my mouth, I'm not saying that resisting arrest is a valid reason for a cop to kill a suspect. That's ignorance. But in the case of George Floyd, he wasn't killed by the cops anyway, he OD'ed. He was dead before the cops even touched him.

If he was dead before the cops touched him, how is that we heard him say, "I can't breath."? He is dead because a small minded cop felt powerful holding down a large black man who had been rampaging earlier.

Reactions: fcctiger12
NOT TRUE. SC is a right to work state but there are still rules on that.
A right to work state is a state that employers can terminate employees who do not have a written employment contract for any non-discriminatory, non-retaliatory reason.
The statement that being a Right to Work State gives the employer the ability to fire for no reason is not true, but for different reasons than you espouse. Employers don't need a reason to fire because it is an "at will" employment state. You are correct in that discrimination or retaliation are not allowed, so no reason is okay as long as the underlying wasn't prohibited even if it was not disclosed.

got it, you had nothing to do with guy getting kicked off this website who said your daughter was ugly. It was someone else who was offended by that and had him cancelled. That makes perfect sense. Well played.

For the record I didnt even like that guy, especially when he said all democrats should be purged from society. But, I think it is funny to see you complaining about cancel culture when you got your panties in a wad about a random, anonymous poster who does not even know your daughter making comments about her.
If I had that kind of pull, I’d have had you banned through this pandemic and election. Believe that.

Yes, actually many posters did attack the guy and report it to @Cris_Ard. He came to me and apologized and told me he banned the guy. I had nothing to do with that. But you believe what you want.

If I had that kind of pull, I’d have had you banned through this pandemic and election. Believe that.

Yes, actually many posters did attack the guy and report it to @Cris_Ard. He came to me and apologized and told me he banned the guy. I had nothing to do with that. But you believe what you want.

dudes a loser. Waste of space.

Reactions: shortbus22
Social media proves that politicians don't give a rat's ass about your opinion as long as they can win their district.

Reactions: tigerGUY

and there it is.

In a thread where you are bitching about someone being cancelled for their political beliefs, you just said that if able you would cancel me for having different beliefs than you. You are an insufferable hypocrite.

If he was dead before the cops touched him, how is that we heard him say, "I can't breath."? He is dead because a small minded cop felt powerful holding down a large black man who had been rampaging earlier.
He OD'ed on fentanyl, he swallowed it because the cops showed up. If they had just waved at him, and said "have a nice day", he'd have still died. The cops did not do anything to kill him, nor was there anything they could have done to save him at that point.

I think too many people are looking at extreme examples of "stupidity" on social media.

My original intent was to see if there was a legitimate concern about posting on social media your thoughts/beliefs/likes etc without fear of retaliation.

I consider debate healthy and worthy of expressing and sharing opinions.

I also believe in free speech. Yes free speech doesn't mean that you won't have repercussions because of what you say, but I do believe it is becoming more and more apparent that even the most benign retort towards something viewed as a social justice cause could render one at the mercy of the social media mob.

Thank you all for your takes on this. Great information throughout.

I don’t post on FB, Twitter or IG. I don’t even check those accounts aside from maybe clicking in a notification once a month or so.

I post on TI and also on LinkedIn, but only about professional topics.

I would be concerned that posting political positions publicly, such as my dislike for punitive taxes on hard working families like mine, could have negative professional consequences for me because the policy is more affiliated with the Republican Party. That’s very unfortunate.

Reactions: Wildhogtiger
and there it is.

In a thread where you are bitching about someone being cancelled for their political beliefs, you just said that if able you would cancel me for having different beliefs than you. You are an insufferable hypocrite.
Lol. You don’t even realize how dumb your “gotcha” moments are. Difference between me and you and your people... I just ignored you and went on about my life. I didn’t seek out ways to cancel you. I never even posted at you. Meanwhile, you have been an insufferable kunt across the board.

Nit surprised you don’t understand the difference.

I think too many people are looking at extreme examples of "stupidity" on social media.

My original intent was to see if there was a legitimate concern about posting on social media your thoughts/beliefs/likes etc without fear of retaliation.

I consider debate healthy and worthy of expressing and sharing opinions.

I also believe in free speech. Yes free speech doesn't mean that you won't have repercussions because of what you say, but I do believe it is becoming more and more apparent that even the most benign retort towards something viewed as a social justice cause could render one at the mercy of the social media mob.

Thank you all for your takes on this. Great information throughout.
The one and only place I have ever posted any "social" content has been TI. I'm a firm believer that "social media" has, does and will do nothing for progressing the human race for the simple fact it does NOT promote free expression (not to be confused with speech) or individualism, the highway to freedom and maximum personal liberty.

The goal of social media, by design under government guidance, is the promotion of "collectivism". In other words, the human race must ALL be "equal", i.e. push for more regulation because there are way too many "bad" people out there, just look what John Doe said about Jan Doe! This has become blatantly apparent with recent censure "programs" going after anyone who might "think" different from the "safe" narrative, which ironically is done by FORCE.

As I've repeated on here (not really sure why, guess I get bored) several times, this country's greatest enemy has been the monopolization in the issuance of currency, what used to be referred to as money. ALL problems today directly correlate to this curse established over 100 yrs ago and WILL be the demise as it has been for so many countries before ours. Put that on social media.

Lol. You don’t even realize how dumb your “gotcha” moments are. Difference between me and you and your people... I just ignored you and went on about my life. I didn’t seek out ways to cancel you. I never even posted at you. Meanwhile, you have been an insufferable kunt across the board.

Nit surprised you don’t understand the difference.

was that English?

No one doubts that there is racism from non-white people. That racism does not negate racism from whites or from you. Yes, there are transgender people. That universe may be smaller than the people who believe themselves to be transgender. I don't know and there is no science to make that determination. Nature does make mistakes bestowing personality tendencies and sexual desires of one sex and at least some of the physicality of a different sex.

BTW, people on the left say offensive things as well. You just laid out a few on the flip side. People who love guns don't all have fantasies about using them. Not all cops are racists.
Actually, there are lots of people who believe that a minority, by definition, cannot be racist because they do not possess the power necessary to oppress anyone. Of course, those people are idiots, because racism is the belief that one race is better/worse than another, oppression has nothing to do with it, but they do exist, and their numbers are staggering.

And of course one person's racism does not negate another person's racism LOL, 2 wrongs don't make a right.

No, I'll say it again, there is no such thing as a transgender person. Women are not born with the body of a man, nor are men born with the body of a woman. XX or XY, there's literally no room for "mistakes".

What there is room for is men to have feminine traits and women to have masculine traits, but that does not mean that a mistake was made. If a mistake was made, then all of the people who have undergone gender reassignment surgery would obviously feel so much better and more comfortable "in their skin". But that's not the case at all. In fact, those people often times feel worse, regret their decision, and their rate of suicide is way above average.

Those poor people are suffering from a mental illness, and there are people out there making things worse, by telling them that they're fine, nothing is wrong with them, and it's perfectly natural. "Just go get a radically invasive surgical procedure and you'll feel great"!

And yes, that is absolutely a scientifically validated fact.

and there it is.

No, he said you would be banned...he never said why? Assume less.

Social media has led to the lunatic fringes being noticed 1000X more than they would otherwise...for that reason, I hate it
Amen... when the internet started I was but a wee lad and thought oh great everyone can communicate all across the globe this will lead to a new great awakening in humanity. Oh boy was I wrong. Still a humanist though.

free_speech.png

You can take your pick. Right now, Gina Carino and Morgan Wallen could be two. The outright lies and extraordinary hyperbole being used against Trump and anyone who supported Trump is pretty terrifying as well.
You think Morgan Wallen shouldn't be catching heat right now over what he said?

Reactions: yoshi121374
Give me an example of the double standard you are referencing. I'm sure I'll probably agree with you.

Most recent? Gina Carano posts a historically accurate fact. (Intent could be that people with differing viewpoints could be assaulted and eventually persecuted) Fired.
Pablo Pacal posts an inaccurate fact (Intent could be that republicans in charge are Nazis') No discipline
Jack Morrissey posts a depiction of a child thrown into a wood chipper and publicly states "MAGAKIDS go screaming, hats first, into the woodchipper" (Intent could be that children who wear MAGA hats should be executed.) No Discipline. (one could argue that he may have been blacklisted... I haven't seen or heard any public discipline from his actions)

I hate the hypocrisy.

I fall under the category, play stupid games, win stupid prizes. But if the game is rigged that no matter what you say, it can be deemed "stupid" then one should probably stay away period.

Which brings me to a follow up... so many in this thread have posted, and advocated that THIS was their only social platform. Well that doesn't make you immune to this.

There is nothing stopping anyone on this board from linking, copying, quoting an insensitive or questionable remark. The aspect of anonymity isn't firm behind a screen name.

Most recent? Gina Carano posts a historically accurate fact. (Intent could be that people with differing viewpoints could be assaulted and eventually persecuted) Fired.
Pablo Pacal posts an inaccurate fact (Intent could be that republicans in charge are Nazis') No discipline
Jack Morrissey posts a depiction of a child thrown into a wood chipper and publicly states "MAGAKIDS go screaming, hats first, into the woodchipper" (Intent could be that children who wear MAGA hats should be executed.) No Discipline. (one could argue that he may have been blacklisted... I haven't seen or heard any public discipline from his actions)

I hate the hypocrisy.

I fall under the category, play stupid games, win stupid prizes. But if the game is rigged that no matter what you say, it can be deemed "stupid" then one should probably stay away period.

Which brings me to a follow up... so many in this thread have posted, and advocated that THIS was their only social platform. Well that doesn't make you immune to this.

There is nothing stopping anyone on this board from linking, copying, quoting an insensitive or questionable remark. The aspect of anonymity isn't firm behind a screen name.

Morrisseys tweet, which I'm only now seeing, is not ok.

Yes, he should. But I am a bit different. I couldn't care less what he has to say when he's drunk and being an idiot. I don't believe a word should have such power over us. It's how a person conducts themselves in their life that matters. We're just on the lookout for ways to destroy people's lives. We sit here in judgment of what people say at their worst moments as though we should have license to say whether something is OK or not. People like @iceheart08 think they have some province to decide what is OK for a person to say and isn't. I'm just not with that. I have no interest in telling him what is acceptable speech and I sure as hell don't want him sitting in judgment on things I say. We've somehow fallen into this place where we think all this is a worthy pursuit and acceptable. Well it isn't. We should stop looking for ways to destroy people and ruin lives.

Reactions: FranktheDank
No, he shouldn't. Words should not have that type power. He didn't call anybody that word. He said it while drunk to one of his friends. Context should matter. Blip on the radar, like "Morgan Wallen is an idiot when he's drunk." Ok. Cancel him from radio and not let him on the CMA's? GTFO.

What's funny is... here you are as a white guy thinking Morgan Wallen should be in trouble (and nobody here would expect any less from you), while black guys are popping up everywhere saying they don't have an issue with it. Much ado about nothing. If they don't care, it's ridiculous that you do. His album sales sky rocketed this week.

The whole concept of social media is lost on me. I don't think that my life, thoughts, feelings are interesting to anyone outside of my close friends and family, so why would I broadcast them? I definitely do not care what someone (non expert on subject matter) thinks/feels about almost any topic. I know this makes me seem like "old man yells at clouds". :D
You sound like an old man that has lost his self awareness.

You mean like this?

I never did hear if she got her job back. Guess i could search for it.

We are all to worried about "the offended" to even ask the question if it was even reasonable for that person to be offended.

I hate the hypocrisy.

So I think anyone suggesting people should be murdered for political affliatiin is not ok.

I had to look up the mandolorian lady's tweets because I had no idea what was being said. She compared being a republican now to being a jew in nazi Germany. Gee whillikers I'm gonna go out on a limb here and call that an oopsie.
Like I get that the poor pooooor Republicans are big time hurt in their feelings right now, but no you aren't holocaust victims. Oh I know that the point was that first you get dehumaned by your neighbors then some other steps happen and suddenly holocaust.
Anyway I can disagree with her vehemently and still watch her movies. But maybe her peers don't want to work with her and her boss don't either.

Anyway I agree that the outcomes of the 2 scenarios arent equal, I don't even know anything about Morrissey but that's a despicable thing to suggest, worse than Gina's post. Since they have the same employeer it would make sense if the punishment was equal.

The ageism is just stunning on this board. He doesn't sound like an old man. He sounds like someone who knows who he is and doesn't need to broadcast everything he feels to the world. He sounds like the kind of person we need a lot more of.
I didn't mean to offend anybody. Maybe came across a little harsh.
This is literally a social media board and he is literally sharing his thoughts with a bunch of strangers.

I didn't mean to offend anybody. Maybe came across a little harsh.
This is literally a social media board and he is literally sharing his thoughts with a bunch of strangers.

Let me tell you this my friend. I have worked with over 100 people on this board in the past year on refinance loans. It's a lot more than social media. It's a community of a lot of really great people. I've been so blessed to work with folks here in TI. We all need to treat each other better, myself included because I have been an ass as well and that's not right for anyone.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT